ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 01:55 PM   #136
BigIron
Tenured Prof - Leghump U.
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Oddometer: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfobusa View Post
I
Not only is the acceleration and torque off the bottom unbelievable .. but the civility and smoothness makes it a great sport tourer ..
That was the big surprise for me. Everyone knows that it's fast, the surprising part was that it's just a fantastic bike to ride all the time, twisties, slab, anywhere and everywhere.
BigIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:43 AM   #137
Kenbike
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: South of the big lake
Oddometer: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo-55 View Post
What kind of power is that bike putting down with those mods? I ask because I also have an 06 and wonder how a modified first gen motor compares with the new version
MY 06 with these mods hits 196 rear wheel hp on gas and 254 with 50 shot of nitrous on Ryan Schintz dyno. I tested a 2012 for a demo and it is fast but my bike pulls harder than the 2012 did stock. Mine has lost a lot of weight due to aftermarket wheels(9lbs saving) 4 into 1 Brocks short meg,removed rear air foil, stripped off any extra rubber dampers, guards, rear pegs. I recall 525 lbs on the scales with 3/4 tank of fuel a few years ago.
I took my last road trip with stock gearing and it was good, just installed a 2 tooth larger rear sprocket 43/17 and it really hits harder. Not as much as 45/16 that I was running for drag racing. This current gearing is good for street and touring, ok for a few blast at the strip.
__________________
Current Bikes: 2014 BMW GSA, 2010 Vespa 300 Super scooter ( hers), 2012 Vespa 300 Super (his)
Kenbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #138
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!
 
Tuna Helper's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Red Five standing by
Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
Seems a bit high to me. I almost traded mine in in 2010 on a leftover VFR, the dealer only offered me $5,000 on it.

I think that the special edition from that year is the best looking, but for that 9K you should be able to buy a different one and still have enough leftover for farkles and gas.

For reasons unknown to me the bikes don't hold their value. That's good news when you are buying a used one, but frustrating for those of us that bought them new. The bike used to be one that I always kept spotless and rode on nice days only, until I realized just how much the value was dropping, regardless of conditions. Now I just ride it whenever I can, and let the miles rack up. It's probably a keeper for me, it's paid off and worth far less than what I'd sell it for.
I bought it, rode it to Deal's Gap, and later traded it in on a Road Glide. Now I am kinda wishing I had kept it. There's an '06 on my local CL for 5k, but I already have 4 bikes in the garage, and the insurance on a zx-14 was well over $500 for full coverage.

The one I owned had a Brock Alienhead pipe on it and I scraped it in one of these curves. Honestly I was a little nervous riding through the Dragon on it because the power at the wheel. It also felt like a heavy non turning bike, until I put a 50 series tire on the front.


Tuna Helper screwed with this post 12-13-2012 at 02:34 PM Reason: edit for image
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #139
BigDave75
Will Work for Food!
 
BigDave75's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: God's Country
Oddometer: 1,738
Here is my 2007, more pics in my thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=846609

__________________
Rangers Lead the Way, Hooah!
BigDave75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:50 AM   #140
kwb377
Gnarly Adventurer
 
kwb377's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: B'ham, AL
Oddometer: 196
My '08 in MMS blue...



kwb377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:15 AM   #141
cls
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: N GA
Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb377 View Post
My '08 in MMS blue...



ZG ST screen? How do you like it, whatever it is? I'm about to order a "winter" screen of some sort.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #142
kwb377
Gnarly Adventurer
 
kwb377's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: B'ham, AL
Oddometer: 196
It's an MRA Touring screen...

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-t...r1400-ninja-06

Nice, smooth airflow with no buffeting (I'm 5'10).
kwb377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #143
cls
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: N GA
Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb377 View Post
It's an MRA Touring screen...

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-t...r1400-ninja-06

Nice, smooth airflow with no buffeting (I'm 5'10).
Very good, thanks.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:51 AM   #144
stevie t
some dude, somewhere....
 
stevie t's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Ontanamo
Oddometer: 262
Just bought an 07, gonna be a long winter.....
stevie t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:30 AM   #145
jules083
Beastly Adventurer
 
jules083's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Richmond, Ohio
Oddometer: 2,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna Helper View Post
I bought it, rode it to Deal's Gap, and later traded it in on a Road Glide. Now I am kinda wishing I had kept it. There's an '06 on my local CL for 5k, but I already have 4 bikes in the garage, and the insurance on a zx-14 was well over $500 for full coverage.

The one I owned had a Brock Alienhead pipe on it and I scraped it in one of these curves. Honestly I was a little nervous riding through the Dragon on it because the power at the wheel. It also felt like a heavy non turning bike, until I put a 50 series tire on the front.



What kind of bag is that? My throw-over bags don't really fit very well, that looks like a much better solution. Any issues with it moving around too much?

Thanks.
__________________
COBDR and UTBDR on my klx250:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:34 AM   #146
Kenbike
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: South of the big lake
Oddometer: 629
Decided to sell my ZX-14, it is in the flea market section.
__________________
Current Bikes: 2014 BMW GSA, 2010 Vespa 300 Super scooter ( hers), 2012 Vespa 300 Super (his)
Kenbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:03 AM   #147
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!
 
Tuna Helper's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Red Five standing by
Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
What kind of bag is that? My throw-over bags don't really fit very well, that looks like a much better solution. Any issues with it moving around too much?

Thanks.
It is this one. http://www.saddlemen.com/Products/K2...-Tail-Bag.html It has several mounting options, the one I used was straps that clip to the bike and then to the bag. It didn't really move around much at the bottom, but since the straps I used attach to the bottom the top moved around a bit. I cinched down the top compression straps to reduce any movement. It was pretty roomy inside. The only issue is if you want to use it as a regular duffle the "tunnel" kinda screws that up.

Honestly I was a little leery at the price ($89 last summer) but I was happy to see it wasn't cheaply made. It comes with 2 kinds of attaching straps, I got 3 of one and 1 of the other. No big deal.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:38 AM   #148
jules083
Beastly Adventurer
 
jules083's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Richmond, Ohio
Oddometer: 2,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna Helper View Post
It is this one. http://www.saddlemen.com/Products/K2...-Tail-Bag.html It has several mounting options, the one I used was straps that clip to the bike and then to the bag. It didn't really move around much at the bottom, but since the straps I used attach to the bottom the top moved around a bit. I cinched down the top compression straps to reduce any movement. It was pretty roomy inside. The only issue is if you want to use it as a regular duffle the "tunnel" kinda screws that up.

Honestly I was a little leery at the price ($89 last summer) but I was happy to see it wasn't cheaply made. It comes with 2 kinds of attaching straps, I got 3 of one and 1 of the other. No big deal.
Thanks. It looks like it will fit the klr also, plus any other bike I feel like buying. Size and price seem great. As soon as the checking recovers from Christmas I'm ordering one.



Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
__________________
COBDR and UTBDR on my klx250:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:10 PM   #149
Davo-55 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Davo-55's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Roanoke, Virginia
Oddometer: 1,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb377 View Post
My '08 in MMS blue...



The best color ever IMHO
__________________
It is always darkest right before dawn, so if you are going to steal your neighbor's newspaper, that is the time to do it
Davo-55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #150
zoldar
Adventurer
 
zoldar's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Mt Holly, NC
Oddometer: 44
My 09...





zoldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014