Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2012, 01:26 PM   #76
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesaintsfan View Post
Does it have the same ECU that cuts power in all but top gear? They had these in previous models wherein people had to put a "chip" in line to fool the bike into thinking it was in 6th gear all the time so full power would be available in all gears. Was considering the new one, but cant get an answer to this question. Thanks
That's a thing of the past - the new bike has the three-setting mode switch now that controls power in low traction situations.

The first gen was not really what I'd call soft below 6500 before, but it was a bad solution to KHI worrying that people would end up on their head after grabbing a handful.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:06 PM   #77
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,693
I don't get it, Kawi offers the ZX14R with 3 manners of launch control so you don't spin the back wheel or lift the front, but there's no ABS offered on US/Canada bikes (but it's available in Europe)... Given the prodigious power this baby has, if you over cook it, ABS would be my friend in that situation.. Kawi sites the poor sales of the ZX-10R ABS as the reason for not offering it here.. Don't they know their demographics... 20 something guys want the fastest and baddest and don't care to spring extra for ABS, cuz they're immortal.. The ZX14R is not a bike for 20 year olds.

I just called my insurance company to ask what they charge and they don't insure supersport bikes at all.

(and let's not turn this thread too into the merits of ABS)..
Old 01-30-2012, 09:25 PM   #78
OldPete2112
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Have to agree with a lot of what Tropical had to say, but then again I also have tropical birds like Moluccan Cockatoos and yellow fronted amazons, so I may be biased.

I have a modded 06 ZX14R, was purchased by my wife as a gift when I was drooling over the release specs. I just knew one day I had to have one. She surprised me with a passion red one for Valentines Day. Yeah, nice as I had spent the previous 10 years doing without things in order to pay child support. She figured I deserved something nice, I went to see what life insurance she had on me..

Overall, I absolutely love the bike. Totally overkill for most any riding, and I know it. And I ride the shit out of it.

Stock tires are total crap. Changed them out for Pirellis. Stock brakes are marginal, Brembo and Galfer handle the job better. Stock engine is pretty damn exciting, But with a little playing around you can get a LOT more fun out of it! Yeah, like it needs it. Lol.

Having had h2s, zx11s and several other fun bikes, I have to say that this is undoubtably the most powerful bike I have ever had. It is also fun, relatively inexpensive and fun to modify. There are a great group of people over at the zx forums to help with questions.

But is it the only bike I will own? Nope, looking at adding a couple of f800gs bikes ( wife also rides sports bikes, got her a new cbr600rr last year, upgrade from a cruiser).

Adventure riding is something we look forward to enjoying, but we are still keeping the sports bikes for more "spirited" riding.

OP.

Its better to travel well than to arrive.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
OldPete2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:22 AM   #79
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 892
Gb.....

.........ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot agree more!!!!!!

I would buy the new ZX-14R today, if it had ABS.

Without ABS, I will NOT buy one.

This is bad marketing beyond belief.

How can they offer this machine with all of the traction control and NO ABS???!!!!???

Amazing.

With Europe mandating ABS on all new bikes in the coming years, how can they not just put it on all the bikes in all markets and spread the cost out?

This bike, in today's world, without ABS is useless. This is insane.

Same goes for the ZX-10R. If I buy one, it is with ABS.

Just make it standard and increase the base price. An extra grand is not going to stop folks from buying these bikes.

If I'm getting traction control, how can I not get ABS? That is crazy!!!!!

I have a 2004 V-Strom 650. I'm not going to replace that bike with another bike that does not have ABS. The incentive for me to trade up to a brand new bike, is to get the brand new technology. If I can't get ABS on the ZX-14R, I will just buy a used bike and that does not help Kawasaki to stay in business. Their marketing thought process is seriously flawed.

I can't believe how stupid this is, they have lost my business because they will not let me give them my money for a bike they offer in other markets. Just gimme ABS and I will buy one yesterday.

Thanks for letting me vent.

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:32 AM   #80
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post

How can they offer this machine with all of the traction control and NO ABS???!!!!???

Amazing.
It's only bad marketing beyond belief if you're adamant about having ABS....and I am not.

I'm not against a good ABS system, such as my FJR had - which was completely transparent. I've had others I was not fond of, and I still prefer a good standard set of brakes, given the option.

My ZX-14 had incredibly good brakes, not sure where OldPete gets "marginal" from... good feel, very strong, don't fade....
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:40 AM   #81
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
[QUOTE=10/10ths;17875959
[/QUOTE]

The truth is the US market as a whole, is still weary of ABS, for all the reasons (valid or not) in the threads that turn into an ABS debate(hopefully not this one). I personally was surprised to not see the ABS. But to say it's useless without ABS is a stretch, very powerful bikes have been around for a long time without it, i.e. 2006-2011 ZX-14.
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:46 AM   #82
OldPete2112
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Morning all,

Blake, by "marginal" I meant the stock were not as good as I wanted, when trying to get the bike stopped quickly from near top end ( yes, they are truly governed at 300 kph according to the speedo, which I know is overly generous.

You can get around the speed cap by installing a speedo healer though.

I found the busa to have worse brakes, but really I am being super picky. They are both excellent machines.

Of course there is a reasonable limit as to what they can do stock and keep it affordable. Great thing is that for not a lot of money you can upgrade braking, suspension and engine with off the shelf parts.

Upgrading the brakes to steel lines, Brembo calipers, Galfer rotors and pazzo levers made a really big difference. They are super sharp, and I will not let any friends ride my 14 as it does accelerate and brake much harder than most any production bike ( not counting high end ducatti's or new BMW sport bikes. I am extremely happy with my bike.

Some small upgrades can make a really good bike even better. So yes, the stock brakes were good, but they are even better now.

OP

Its better to travel well than to arrive.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
OldPete2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:03 PM   #83
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 976
Quote:

mmm..I am going to have to call bullcrap on this one
Fact is if you need a computer to get you stopped on a bike..you might want to move on to 4 wheels. They can keep the abs I wont have it on any of my rides.
I don't give a flip what Europe mandates either. So thanks Kawi for not bending over, and building a mans bike.
Now if I could get the video out of the new D4..I would be all set!
Gary
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:39 PM   #84
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 976
Wow..I thought for sure this would have 2 pages of ABS thrashing after my little rant
Its possible that I have convinced everybody that they don't really want ABS..or they are ignoring me
Ok fair enough..but I still want my D4 with no video.
Gary
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #85
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 892
Gas Hog.....

...my point is that you have a brand new bike, with traction control and ABS, but I can't buy the ABS version here in the States. If I'm going to buy a new motorcycle, in this day and age, with the new technology available, I want the bike with ABS.

If I can't get the ABS, I'm not dropping $15,000 on a NEW motorcycle. I'd just buy a used ZX-14 or Hayabusa instead of a NEW machine.

As to the ABS not being a "man's bike"...........Really?

I want ABS for those panic stops in the rain.

I own an RC51, a Ducati Monster, and a V-Strom. The Ducati has carbs. None of them have ABS or traction control.

But, I DO want ABS on my next bike. I really want ABS on any bike that I would ride cross country, in all weather.

I'm done.

Cheers.

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14

10/10ths screwed with this post 02-01-2012 at 07:33 PM
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:27 PM   #86
Unleaded
Unit Train

Oddometer: 750
I'm with you. In this day and age, on a street bike, my money insists on ABS from here on out. I understand the knocks against it. No skin off my back if others don't like it, but as cool as I think the ZX is, I scratched it off my "consider" list a few years back for that very reason.

That said, the ZX is truly an amazing bike, and IMO, will come standard with ABS soon (as will all bikes intended for street riding, more than likely).
Old 02-22-2012, 07:43 PM   #87
apessino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Well done video (except for the dude's head catching fire ):

And holy crap... 9'05 bone stock? That thing is such a beast...
Old 02-23-2012, 02:33 AM   #88
9secondsflat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
You want ABS...buy a car...Honda released LBS 15 years ago...way ahead of the market..no one liked it,

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
.........ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot agree more!!!!!!

Amazing.

With Europe mandating ABS on all new bikes in the coming years, how can they not just put it on all the bikes in all markets and spread the cost out?

Same goes for the ZX-10R. If I buy one, it is with ABS.

Just make it standard and increase the base price. An extra grand is not going to stop folks from buying these bikes.

If I'm getting traction control, how can I not get ABS? That is crazy!!!!!

I have a 2004 V-Strom 650. I'm not going to replace that bike with another bike that does not have ABS. The incentive for me to trade up to a brand new bike, is to get the brand new technology. If I can't get ABS on the ZX-14R, I will just buy a used bike and that does not help Kawasaki to stay in business. Their marketing thought process is seriously flawed.

I can't believe how stupid this is, they have lost my business because they will not let me give them my money for a bike they offer in other markets. Just gimme ABS and I will buy one yesterday.

Thanks for letting me vent.

9secondsflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:58 AM   #89
9secondsflat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Their "corrected times" for both bikes are bulls shit...Rickey Gadson only ran a 9.31@149... as far as the 9.05at 159 that is some computer generated crap. If it did run 9.05@159 why dont you highlight that in your vid????? Oh, you woke up did ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
Well done video (except for the dude's head catching fire ):

And holy crap... 9'05 bone stock? That thing is such a beast...
9secondsflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #90
gunrunner 2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
At the last Mfn. Cup. at SGMP. (South Ga. Motor Park ) Cecil Ga. I watched Ricky run 8.99, & sorry, I don't remember the speed. I was talking with him at his Hauler, when the tower called & said they had an opening & he could make a pass with the "New" 14...He didn't have it in the competion, just wanted to get a timeing...
gunrunner 2 is offline   Reply With Quote