Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2010, 01:06 PM   #1
EA Gary OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
The AmpliRider - A 3 input Mixer/Amp for riders

Hello, my name is Gary :)

Over the past few years many ADVrider members mentioned hearing about the amplifier I build for motorcycle riders here in the Forums. Some suggested that I make a post in the Vendors section.

The AmpliRider is an amp takes up to three inputs (such as a GPS, radar detector, or MP3 player), makes them louder, then combines them into one output so you can hear everything at the same time through a set of headphones or helmet speakers. The remote volume controller attaches to the amp with a 6-foot cord can be mounted in an easy to reach spot on the bike so you can adjust the volume as you ride. The amp wires directly to the bike's 12 volt supply and does not need any batteries. More information can be found on the website below:

http://electric-avenues.com/audio/amplirider/

The amp is offered directly for U.S. $70 which already includes insured, Airmail shipping worldwide. This also includes a lifetime free repair warranty.

If there are any questions about the amp please let me know and I will be glad to help.

Have a nice day!

EA Gary screwed with this post 11-05-2014 at 06:38 PM Reason: EDIT Nov. 2014: Updated link, picture, and price.
EA Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:26 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,842
Hi Gary,

Good to see you on this site. Don't forget the original Pocket Amp, which I'm using to amplify the signal out of my ipod and into my Cardo Scala Rider helmet speakers. The pocket amp and the ipod both reside in my pocket, then one lead goes to my helmet communicator's input.

Gary's customer service is second to none and his products are hand built, compact and priced below what you'd pay for a similar product from someone else..

Is this one still available?

http://www.electric-avenues.com/audio8.html
Old 07-19-2010, 01:47 PM   #3
EA Gary OP
n00b

Hello Gadget Boy,

Thank you for your reply. Many riders do prefer the Pocket Amp model, especially those who want a setup that isn't wired to the bike.

This amp is powered by two AA sized rechargeable batteries and an AC adapter is included for charging them up while they are still inside the amp. The Pocket Amp is offered for U.S. $60. This includes a short connection cord and shipping by insured Airmail.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:55 PM   #4
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,245
cool stuff!

Looked at your website.

Don't see any info about whether you intended the mixits to be waterproof?
Old 07-19-2010, 02:59 PM   #5
EA Gary OP
n00b

Hello OlyRider,

Thank you for your reply. When it comes to water resistance, the remote volume controller has been doing alright against some rain splashing. All that is inside the box is a potentiometer. I made the volume adjuster into a small module with the two headphones jacks so in the unfortunate event that it got damaged by water, I could simply mail a new module for an easy switch. Here is a picture of what the module looks like:

The main portion of the amp however, with all the holes for input and output jacks, is not as resistant. Perhaps after everything's plugged into the amp it can be covered with a small bag. The bag could be tied closed around where all the wires were coming out. People do this when washing their bikes but leaving the amp that way would provide good protection. The amp does not get hot when running, so you won't have to worry about it overheating.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:51 AM   #6
drsales
Wondering Why

Oddometer: 385
I have my volume control mounted on he dash. Then the amp is located under my seat. Headphone connection is run up and resides in my tank bag. I am running my radar detector, MP3 and digital FM units. I also have the standalone unit and it has worked great for many years before hard mounting the new unit. Both are great options.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:27 AM   #7
TEZZA
ADV B4 DEM/TED

Oddometer: 289
Amp

Hi Gary , is it possable to make a AMP unit to take a 2way radio as well as an Ipod and to use a helmet head set for the 2 way radio ??????
Do you ship to Australia for that cost or is it extra.
Thanks Terry.
Now the Perfect pair!!!!
TEZZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:54 AM   #8
EA Gary OP
n00b

Hello Drsales, I'm glad you have been enjoying the amps!

Tezza - The AmpliRider is only able to provide one way amplification. For a two way radio to work with the amp, the microphone portion of the signal would somehow need to bypass the amp. The audio received portion would be able to pass through and come out louder so that you could hear it along with the iPod.

The U.S. $65 offer includes shipping to any address in the world, including your's in Australia.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:28 AM   #9
Mac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,121
Highly recommended. Mine has been running flawlessly for about three years.
Member: NRA, AMA, TPA, MSF RC
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:34 PM   #10
bogey78
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Gary, I'm planning on getting my bike outfitted for Sat. radio in the next couple of weeks and I know from past experience that I need an amp. I have used a boosteroo in the past that worked adequately but I still needed more volume and from what I've heard the amplirider provides plenty of volume plus the ability to hook up my GPS.

One thing I've been wondering about is the 2 way radio option. Now I'm no electrical engineer but it seems like it would be fairly easy to simply bypass the amplirider with the mic circuit with some type of adapter cable. If someone would rig up a simple PTT switch and mic bypass for common CB and FRS systems, I would think they could make a lot of sales. I really don't have any need for anything other than GPS, Sat radio and bike to bike CB. My only options at this point are IMC MIT-100 (lower quality), Autocom, Starcom and J&M (the latter 3 being expensive).

Like I said, I don't know a resistor from a capacitor, but with you being an electrical engineer it looks like you could figure it out. With that modification I believe you could dent the Autocom, Starcom, J&M market share.
IBA#33560
bogey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:54 AM   #11
TEZZA
ADV B4 DEM/TED

Oddometer: 289
Thumb 2 way radio bypass

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogey78
Gary, I'm planning on getting my bike outfitted for Sat. radio in the next couple of weeks and I know from past experience that I need an amp. I have used a boosteroo in the past that worked adequately but I still needed more volume and from what I've heard the amplirider provides plenty of volume plus the ability to hook up my GPS.

One thing I've been wondering about is the 2 way radio option. Now I'm no electrical engineer but it seems like it would be fairly easy to simply bypass the amplirider with the mic circuit with some type of adapter cable. If someone would rig up a simple PTT switch and mic bypass for common CB and FRS systems, I would think they could make a lot of sales. I really don't have any need for anything other than GPS, Sat radio and bike to bike CB. My only options at this point are IMC MIT-100 (lower quality), Autocom, Starcom and J&M (the latter 3 being expensive).

Like I said, I don't know a resistor from a capacitor, but with you being an electrical engineer it looks like you could figure it out. With that modification I believe you could dent the Autocom, Starcom, J&M market share.
Hi Gary , that would be #2 sale if you could do the 2 way bypass cable . I have 2 other mates that would be interested in this as well .
Please ,please , please ,please ,please do the bypass cable .
Thanks Terry.
Now the Perfect pair!!!!
TEZZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:10 AM   #12
RoyB
Dartmouth, Massacusetts

Oddometer: 1,578
Hi Gary,

Good to see you here........If you remember, years ago I bought a Pocket Amplifier from you and modified it for my motorcycle. I suggested at that time that the world needed a three channel, 12V, remote volume amplifier for motorcycle use..........

I've now used many of the Amplirider for myself and friends. All work great and I've not had any issues with water, but you need to use your head and put the components out of harms way. The amplifier in a plastic bag and a bit of silicone on the volume control and your good to go.

BUT......I sure wish you made a unit with all hard wired connections, like the old version volume control had. The 1/8" mini jacks can suffer a bit of corrosion and cause noise. I use an electrical connection paste on them, but after time, they can get noisy. On my heavily farkled V Strom, I took everything apart and hard soldered all the connections.......Four years later, no issues.

Great product! Keep up the good work.............
2004 Honda VFR abs,2001 Moto Guzzi Rosso Mandello
1971 Honda Trail CT90
RoyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:59 AM   #13
bogey78
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEZZA
Hi Gary , that would be #2 sale if you could do the 2 way bypass cable . I have 2 other mates that would be interested in this as well .
Please ,please , please ,please ,please do the bypass cable .
Thanks Terry.
I honestly don't think he could make them fast enough if he could come up with a way to hook up a two way mic bypass. It really wouldn't have to even be an amplified jack. A straight pass thru would work in most cases. I simply want to find a way to have music and 2 way without A) running 2 headsets or B) paying $300-$1000 to do it.

If he doesn't come up with something, I'll bite my lip and buy another IMC MIT-100. It comes with enough cables that you can keep it running for several years. The microphone needs to be waterproofed in some fashion so that exhalation vapor doesn't get it wet and short it out. I would still rather have an amplirider with bypass though.
IBA#33560
bogey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:04 AM   #14
wolfy317
Beemer lover

Oddometer: 3,432
+1 on the mic pass through

'71 BMW R75/5 | 06 BMW K1200R
wolfy317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:19 PM   #15
VancouverBob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Gary,

I have an Autocom Pro that I'd like to boost the volume on since I wear ear plugs while riding. I use it pretty much as an intercom, but I'd like to be able to listen to music as well. Can you share a configuration using the Amplirider that will allow that?

Thanks!
VancouverBob is offline   Reply With Quote