Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2011, 11:02 AM   #46
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shov3BR View Post
Your TAPP Lite should arrive today so you will be able to at least have all the parts together. Have a good weekend. Hope it's a riding one.
Received! Thanks for remembering the USB cable as well. I'll post up my installation when I can get to it; might be this weekend... dang work!
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:18 PM   #47
Shov3BR OP
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 263
Don't you hate it when putting food on the table gets in the way of having fun. Looking forward to hearing how in the install went.
Shov3BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:16 PM   #48
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Phase I

Great day here for workin in the back yard.

I took some time test-fitting the RAM setup on my dash, checking to make sure where I mounted it allowed for functionality. I will probably have to remove the fairing to unlock the mount, but I will be able to unlock the aquabox and open, etc. Its a tight fit! But workable. Sorry no pic of the test fit, but one of the final install will suffice. Patience.

The mount appears to be in a good spot on the dash. Here is a shot of the mount location:

Many who mounted to the dash reinforced the dash, so I am going to put an aluminum backing for the four screws if I can drill the dang aluminum! So, that is going along, just held up for a trip to the hardware store for nuts and bolts (not part of the RAM kit).

Below the dash I hooked up the 3BRPowersports kit:

and... success! My Droid2 said it was charging. This connector is switched power (as expected), which won't be a problem because the Droid has a battery (many wanted their GPS to stay on when they stop and switch the bike off, which this one will).

Now, one thought: I think it best to not press on the Molex connector because it requires a larger hole to be drilled through the dash. Customers could easily press the connector on once they feed the wires and pins through a smaller hole. I would like to do this, but don't know how to extract the pins from the connector - and will they be ok for a second pressing?

Aquabox notes: I could not punch out the wire hole - so I drilled it out. I needed the entire spot to fit the RH angled USB cable:

Final thoughts: nice kit! Well packaged, with instructions, and pretty much everything you'd need. The weatherproof USB connection looks the bee's knees.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:33 PM   #49
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Oddometer: 1,077
Meat I think I recalled you saying you were near San Jose, is that right? I have the tool to remove those pins from the molex, let me know!
Support your local creep! CREEPS MC
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:24 PM   #50
Shov3BR OP
Tinkerer

MP - looking good. I agree with the difficulty in trying to knock out that Aqua Box cable opening. I wasn't going to let that little piece of plastic get the better of me and if it said knock out then I was going to knock it out. It took a couple of my good SnapOn sockets fitted in just the right place but I did it without crushing the box.

Good point on the not installing the pins in the Molex housing. I'll do that in the future.

There are a couple of ways to get the pins out of the housing. The best of course is to use the Molex tool like Low594 offered. The pins are round and the retainers are little wings that stick out of the sides so you can also buy a piece of that brass tubing that D&J Hobby or OSH & ACE hardware sell and slide it over the pin to compress the wings. None of the standard brass tubing is just the right size so you have to wiggle it around a bit to release the pin.

A crude but effective method is to just reach in with a pair of tweezers and pinch the wings enough to release the pin.

Before replacing the pins check the wings to be sure they haven't compressed agains the diameter of the pins. If they have just lift them up a bit with your fingernail or a razor knife. You can do this a bunch of times before they finally give up and break off.

We're looking forward to seeing the finished install.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:46 PM   #51
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Well alright then - thanks for the offer Low594 but I had to go to Fry's to price some puter parts so I just grabbed one (finding it in that place was a chore however... ). Hopefully I'll see you at the Lucia Lodge this Saturday before the ride

And I am done!

Pretty easy mod I'd say, especially since 3BRPowersports made a custom kit. I think once folks start finding out they can use their phones GPS with offline maps (i.e. no cellular service) they will be very interested in such mods.

Maybe I should do an install thread in Thumpers so other folks can see this stuff, and I can put some of my tips and details in there instead of here - lemme know what you prefer.

I still need to get the Droid secure in the Aquabox, and put in a magnet so it goes to Car Dock mode automatically, but I'll do that this week - ride on Saturday!

Old 02-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #52
Low594
Adventuring Creep

I did see a while back, Fry's Electronics sells the Molex connectors and the tool!
Old 02-07-2011, 08:14 AM   #53
Shov3BR OP
Tinkerer

Nice work MP! Looks great. The really amazing part is that the only tool that I see in your pics is a hammer
Old 02-07-2011, 08:59 AM   #54
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle View Post
Well alright then - thanks for the offer Low594 but I had to go to Fry's to price some puter parts so I just grabbed one (finding it in that place was a chore however... ). Hopefully I'll see you at the Lucia Lodge this Saturday before the ride
Lucia Lodge? Ride? I hadn't heard anything, but I'm probably busy. We should get another Bay Area Meetup going soon!
Old 02-07-2011, 09:48 AM   #55
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shov3BR View Post
Nice work MP! Looks great. The really amazing part is that the only tool that I see in your pics is a hammer
Amazing what you can do with a hammer eh?

Low,
Here's the Saturday ride thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=648209

Old 02-15-2011, 12:45 PM   #56
ScottV
bigdoggscott

Oddometer: 1,094
Very nice product and great customer service. I bought a Tapp Lite power port to mount on my BMW XCountry so I could charge my Droid Incredible. It is very well made. There are not many places to mount things on my bike(no fairing, no dash) I used the universal mount to install it on my handlebars. The mount is very rugged and the 3M adhesive sticks really well. It's also a nice waterproof seal with the Tapp Capp seal installed. On previous bikes I always installed a 12volt outlet and used my car charger, but now I don't have to worry about stopping to unplug it when it rains.

The first cable I bought was a right angle right. I have an Otter Box case on my phone and the plug in for the micro cable is recessed because of the case. The plastic surrounding the plug on the right angle cable was to thick to plug into my phone. I called Don and explained the problem to him, in the mail 2 days latter I received a straight cable and a postage paid return label to return the one that wouldn't fit. The new cable works great. That's what I call good customer service.

Pushin My Luck~~~ R.L. Burnside
ScottV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:47 PM   #57
Shov3BR OP
Tinkerer

Thanks for the update. Glad the straight cable worked out for you. Send some pics when you get a chance.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:19 PM   #58
RamMan4x4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
If I followed the thread correctly...TAPP was made in the US but because some low cost foreign products were released at the same time, you pulled the product and replaced some of the parts with off the shelf (foreign) components and released it as TAPP lite.

Are you still in the process of improving/releasing the US made TAPP? If so, I'd be interested.

Apologies if I missed or got something wrong.
08 Suzuki DR 650 - 15k, FCR-MX, GSXR-40F0, Header mod, TKC80, SC Seat, PWD Skid Plate, TCI Rack, TCI HL Guard, Wolfman Wolf Tail, DR250 TL, Ulysses Windscreen and Turn Signals, IMS tank, Raptor Petcock, GL Coyote and Fandango Bags, MR Tie Downs
RamMan4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:45 PM   #59
JohnBryer
Adventure Poser

Oddometer: 917
I have an electrified tank bag. I'd really like to see a cord with SAE on 1 end, and USB on the other.
JohnBryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:20 PM   #60
The Raven
Banned

Oddometer: 4,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBryer View Post
I have an electrified tank bag. I'd really like to see a cord with SAE on 1 end, and USB on the other.
+1
I have a brunton Solar panel with the USB plug and it's damn useless to me.
The Raven is offline   Reply With Quote