Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2011, 07:13 PM   #136
UnsafeHOTADVENTURE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I rode mine at 80mph for a good half hour on the freeway the other night and it felt fine to me. But I also have no experience with other bikes so
UnsafeHOTADVENTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:52 PM   #137
rockycraig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
ChiTown

ChiTown, I was wondering if you could give me a detailed comparison between the 800gs and the g650gs since those are the two bikes I'm considering??? Things like offroad handling slow speed riding, on road cruising, twisty roads and maybe rough offroad and anything else you would like to add. Also anyone else who owns both bikes I would love to hear their opinions as well. Thanks you very much.
rockycraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:08 AM   #138
angellr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown View Post
Well, the problem is my 800GS is far from stock so it's not really a fair comparison. Everything that matters is different on mine vs a stock f800, wheel size, gearing, suspension, etc. I'll try to compare my OEM 800 vs the G650... been a while since mine was bone stock though.

In a nutshell the 800 feels heavier, obviously has more power, and the power delivery is much different too. The clutch is heavier to pull, the button layout is much nicer, the headlights and gauges are far superior, the added suspension travel and 21" wheel is better off tarmac.

With that said, I can't help but think that I'm not sure if the 800GS is $5000 "better" than the G650, plus add in the long history of reliability on this thumper platform and it's a toss up.
I think that the G650, with a couple grand of stuff like Ohlins', steering damper, and various other add-ons and you'll have a very potent, competent, reliable and real fun to ride DS bike you can go far just about anywhere on. (not that it's absolutely needed, but once you ride a bike that's setup for your weight with Ohlins', it's hard to accept the generic feeling any stock bike has, at least for me.)
For someone that plans on a lot of high speed highway miles, the 800 might be a better choice, but again, you have to ask if it's $5000 better. The G is right at home on the highway, just the comfy cruising sweet spot is a little lower than the 800. Then take into ergonomics, for the vertically challenged, the G650 would be the obvious choice, though at 6' I am very comfortable on this bike - with 60mm ROX risers.

So far the G650 is a blast to ride on the pavement, better than my 800 as it is now with 1.85x21 front and 2.50x18 rear wheels and knobby tires. (though it doesn't pull wheelies with just a crack of the throttle in 1st and 2nd)...
I'm actually surprised and pleased with the Kenda tires on the G, having pushed them in the canyons on pavement and on dirt and sand.
It's a great bike to ride. It's not pretentious, intimidating or a hot rod , but is just a fun bike to blast around on.

Since I really don't have that many miles on the G I have limited experience, especially with long distance travel, but judging how many BMW 650 singles you see on the road or going round the world, I think it's safe to say is a very capable LD tourer. I wouldn't take a F800 RTW... too complicated of a machine to be far away from BMW service computers...

I hope this helps, you really need to go test ride both back to back and see what works for you as there is no perfect bike and right answer.
(well, the R1200R IS a perfect bike)
Joe,

Have compared the F650GS and the G650X side-by-side and do NOT see any difference. How did Nancy (or if it was a joint decision) come to the G650X decision? They appear to be the one-in-the-same. Your insight is greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

-Bob-
angellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:17 PM   #139
DigDig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Have compared the F650GS and the G650X side-by-side and do NOT see any difference. How did Nancy (or if it was a joint decision) come to the G650X decision? They appear to be the one-in-the-same. Your insight is greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

-Bob-[/QUOTE]

She has a GS not an X

“It was a woman who drove me to drink, but I never wrote to thank her.” W.C. Fields
DigDig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:06 AM   #140
Barance
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockycraig View Post
ChiTown, I was wondering if you could give me a detailed comparison between the 800gs and the g650gs since those are the two bikes I'm considering??? Things like offroad handling slow speed riding, on road cruising, twisty roads and maybe rough offroad and anything else you would like to add. Also anyone else who owns both bikes I would love to hear their opinions as well. Thanks you very much.
I am about to get the new G, previously had the F650 single , sold that for the F650 Twin (nearly the 800!) , predominately ride on road 80% with some gravel roads thrown in 20% . In my opinion, the twin was not as much fun as the single on road or on the gravel. I had previously owned the F800ST though which is a nicer engine than the detuned 650 twin. So i ended up selling the twin, buying a triumph speedmaster as my 'road' bike and getting the G for the ( mild ) adventure rides. I would say 800 GS though is more off road biased but it is alot more expensive and taller! So really depends on your final need/want oput of a bike, I liked the 2 in the garage idea :)

Of course there is nothing wrong with the 650 twin, its a great bike but I personally thought the single more fun hence why I am getting the new G, hopefully in 2 weeks when they arrive.

(I would LOVE the new R1200R as the other 'road bike' but you have to draw the line somewhere! )

Barance screwed with this post 05-18-2011 at 03:15 AM
Barance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:13 AM   #141
Barance
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzyblue View Post

Does anyone know when the touratek crash guards are due to be available?

-Nancy
Hepco Becker have just designed a new style engine crash bars for the G, the instruction sheet is on the German site but not sure when it is actually released. Defintely nicer looking than the older HB one! SW Motech are also releasing a new one for the G according to them but no pics apart from the old one.
I would have thought the TT ones would be avail, they are showing on the site. I have just ordered the TT bash plate.
Barance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:51 AM   #142
Northwest Cajun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Happy trails makes one

http://www.happy-trail.com/BMW-G650G...ate-Combo.aspx
Old 05-18-2011, 12:59 PM   #143
rockycraig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
ChiTown

Are the knobbies you put on the 650 tubeless??? Also how extreme off road would you take the 650???
Thanks
rockycraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:43 PM   #144
MarkWAau
Do they serve Pinot?

Oddometer: 286
Australian Alps Bash

Took my new G650GS up through the Australian Alps (yes, we have mountains and yes it does snow here). The TKC80s handled very well in the snow, ice and dirt and after 1000kms of riding I was very impressed with the bike. It is however, clear that if you intend taking the 650 off-road on a regular basis, then additional suspension and protective upgrades would make sense.
Attached Images

MarkWAau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:24 AM   #145
g4string
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev View Post
That's interesting, because one of the few faults on my old 650GS was the teeth-rattling vibes above 70mph.

I keep looking at this revamped 650, especially as one of the UK mags got 84mpg (imperial) out of one. That alone would save me £600 a year purely on commuting, let alone longer trips.
New owner here, so take my remark for what it's worth…I picked up my bike yesterday. Ran about 8 miles or so on the freeway. There was no/very little vibe up to 70mph. I have to keep the revs below 5k for the break-in, so I can't comment on speeds past 70 (since 70+ would take me over the 5k mark). As others have stated, the bike is smooth. My past bikes have been Buells…so I know what a vibe feels like.
g4string is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:33 AM   #146
g4string
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipm View Post
Nancy-

Congrats on the new bike! She's a beaut. I might suggest one thing to practice while you are working on your dirt legs and that would be to take it somewhere where you can gently lay it over on it's side and practice picking it up. There's a technique that you want to become familiar with picking up a bike this size and weight in the dirt and it's better to practice it before you have to put it into use.

Here's a video on how: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPjYweKeiLk

-Skip
Good advice and excellent video!
g4string is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #147
Maineroads
Ridgerunner

Oddometer: 831
Has anyone mounted Side cases to their 2011 G650GS yet?
Old 05-20-2011, 01:46 PM   #148
aaronrkelly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineroads View Post
Has anyone mounted Side cases to thir 2011 G650GS yet?
I mounted a set TraX boxes on mine a week ago. When I get home I will toss up a picture.

a quick run to the Black Hills
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...8#post14248448
aaronrkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:33 PM   #149
Maineroads
Ridgerunner

Oddometer: 831
Thanks, I've heard the BMW Mounts aren't working on the new 650GS?
Old 05-20-2011, 04:32 PM   #150
aaronrkelly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineroads View Post
Thanks, I've heard the BMW Mounts aren't working on the new 650GS?
Nope....worked just find - atleast the SW-Motech ones I used did. Bolted up just as the directions stated.....no worries.

This is the racks I used:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/24/77/

Then the TraX boxes.

I dont have a side shot.....but it definitely has a big ass now.

a quick run to the Black Hills
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...8#post14248448
aaronrkelly is offline   Reply With Quote