Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2011, 08:23 PM   #166
MarkWAau
Do they serve Pinot?

Oddometer: 267
Question Crashbars

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWAau View Post
Took my new G650GS up through the Australian Alps (yes, we have mountains and yes it does snow here). The TKC80s handled very well in the snow, ice and dirt and after 1000kms of riding I was very impressed with the bike. It is however, clear that if you intend taking the 650 off-road on a regular basis, then additional suspension and protective upgrades would make sense.
Wondering if anyone has seen crashbars that sit higher than the one shown in the photo?

MarkWAau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:28 AM   #167
Barance
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Wondering if anyone has seen crashbars that sit higher than the one shown in the photo?

Yep check out Hepco Beckers new ones for the 2011, new design for this model, look ok.
Barance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:55 AM   #168
MarkWAau
Do they serve Pinot?

Cry Total Recall

Had my 2011 G650GS into the local dealership today. Apparently BMW has announced a recall for the 2011 model for two reasons:

1. Some rear bearings have been reported to have not been machined properly. Rear wheel assembly was fully replaced.

2. Instrumentation cluster issue (could not find out what specifically). Full replacement of cluster. Note that your ODO will be reset to ZERO. Dealership recorded my existing kms and made note in the service manual.

I'm not sure if this is a global recall but it might be worth having a chat with your local dealer.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:22 AM   #169
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,100
Quote:
Had my 2011 G650GS into the local dealership today. Apparently BMW has announced a recall for the 2011 model for two reasons:

1. Some rear bearings have been reported to have not been machined properly. Rear wheel assembly was fully replaced.

2. Instrumentation cluster issue (could not find out what specifically). Full replacement of cluster. Note that your ODO will be reset to ZERO. Dealership recorded my existing kms and made note in the service manual.

I'm not sure if this is a global recall but it might be worth having a chat with your local dealer.
Ah, BMW model year 1 syndrome.

And latter day QA issues. Same things affected the 800s.

I still like the bike though.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:58 PM   #170
MarkWAau
Do they serve Pinot?

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown View Post
While it's frustrating to have recalls, at least BMW is being proactive and doing the recalls BEFORE 2011' G650 riders have failures while on the road, pay out of pocket to fix the defects, only to later find out it's become a warrantied fix... BTDT
Agree ... the local Aussie dealership were extremely proactive in ensuring the issue was resolved. Very happy with them.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:12 AM   #171
Mogoscha
n00b

Oddometer: 3
2011 G650GS recall

Hi guys
Been lurking for a while, decided to sign up.
I bought a new G650GS two months ago and due to the aforementioned recall its been at the dealer waiting for replacement parts for the last month.
Has anyone had similar experience regarding the wait period?
Cheers.
Mogoscha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:46 AM   #172
MarkWAau
Do they serve Pinot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogoscha View Post
Hi guys
Been lurking for a while, decided to sign up.
I bought a new G650GS two months ago and due to the aforementioned recall its been at the dealer waiting for replacement parts for the last month.
Has anyone had similar experience regarding the wait period?
Cheers.
In my case BMW Australia had the instrument in stock but had to wait a week for the rear wheel to arrive. I'd be starting to ask your dealer a few questions about timings. They should be able look up the status of their orders and at least set an expectation with you (the customer) as to when the parts will be in. Hope you get back on the road / trails soon.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:11 PM   #173
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
You have options to waiting forever ...

For USA riders ... you should be aware of the Lemon Laws in your state. In many states a dealer has a time limit to complete a repair or recall on a new bike, if its less than a year old/under 18,000 miles.

Usually over 30 days means you now qualify for "Lemon Law" status if you so choose. You'll need a layer to proceed but in most states the Law is clear. OE has to give you back ALL your money (no depreciation allowed) or give you another vehicle of equal value ... at no extra charge even if MSRP has gone up on that bike.

Go on line and check out the Lemon Laws in your state. Usually a well drafted letter from your lawyer to BMW NA will get the desired result ... and quickly. Many states are now being more proactive in pursuing this ...
so it's no longer an impossible task.

Good luck.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:28 PM   #174
Mogoscha
n00b

Oddometer: 3
So have spoken to the dealership and bmw customer service and have been advised to wait patiently because they don't know when the missing parts will arrive. Apparently the parts are in high demand.
The parts to be replaced on my bike are:
- the display panel which they did change,
-the rear wheel which they have in stock now,
-chain which they also have and the sprockets,
still waiting for the rear sprocket and the bolts that hold it.
Apparently they need to change all these parts due to the already showing damage to the rear wheel, was told it is unsafe to ride until fixed.
All this on a new bike with 1300km on, and into one month of ownership.
By now they've been holding the bike for longer than I had it for.
There, I'm feeling much better now.

PS. Quoted the one week repair time on MarkWAu's bike and was told point blank its bs.
Mogoscha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:25 AM   #175
MarkWAau
Do they serve Pinot?

Wow ... I've been called a bullshitter by a BMW dealer in the states .... First time for anything I suppose.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:42 AM   #176
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogoscha View Post
still waiting for the rear sprocket and the bolts that hold it.
Apparently they need to change all these parts due to the already showing damage to the rear wheel, was told it is unsafe to ride until fixed.
All this on a new bike with 1300km on, and into one month of ownership.
By now they've been holding the bike for longer than I had it for.
There, I'm feeling much better now.

PS. Quoted the one week repair time on MarkWAu's bike and was told point blank its bs.
Some of the parts you list I can see being back ordered and not immediately available. But NO REAR SPROCKETS? !!! WTF!!

Rear sprockets are one of the most common wear items on any bike. All OEM's recommend changing the holding bolts. I'm on my 3rd rear sprocket on my DR650 ... still using original bolts!! I do use Blue Loc-tite on them however.

Hope things get back together soon. Good luck!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:52 PM   #177
chromenomad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Just picked one up today..

Hermy's found me a white one, and I picked it up today. Came with heated grips and the accessory socket. Added the BMW hand guards and TKC80s, as you can see in the pic.

Note for those who are looking for knobbies -- Parts Unlimited apparently doesn't stock the TKC80s for the rear wheel in the right size (140) so they had to be ordered from another supplier. Just a heads up if anyone has trouble finding the right tire. (I know someone else here had no trouble with a Kenda 150, but the TKC80 in a 150 seemed really tight to me. I guess they should be the same size, but..?)

Initial impressions are positive overall, except for the seat, which I already find pretty rotten. I was, like many others, bummed about not getting the red seat, but considering I'm going to have to replace it anyway, I'm over it. (I like the Corbin on my 1150GS, so I may go with that and get the red sides from them for the same look)
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2011, 08:12 PM   #178
MarkWAau
Do they serve Pinot?

Question

Interesting how it didn't come with the rear mud deflector ... I thought they were standard?
Old 06-02-2011, 10:43 PM   #179
BlueFizzy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
I picked mine up last week.

MarkWAau - No rear mud deflector on mine either, apparently they are not included on US models.

chromenomad - Would it be possible for you to post a close up picture of the BMW hand guards?

BlueFizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:59 PM   #180
chromenomad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
BF- will take pics tomorrow.