Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2011, 03:28 AM   #226
Barance
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
I fitted a Boosterplug to my XCH and it smoothed out the motor quite a bit. It may work the same on your motor as well.
Cheers will check it out. I had 'vibranators' in my DR650 which I kept but they wont fit in the G's bars. They worked well though.
Barance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:39 PM   #227
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,153
How are these holing up to corrosion?

One of the UK rags has had a G for 2 months and there is rusting to the footpeg, centre stand, and bits of the subframe.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:14 AM   #228
Barance
Adventurer

Pivot Pegz installed!

Got the Pivot Pegz, easy install, look great and feel great 60mm wide!! much better than the small std factory supplied one.

I will be keen to try these out on and off road..while keeping a close eye on my right fork leg !
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2011, 12:15 AM   #229
Barance
Adventurer

Pivot Pegz installed!

the other side..

Tried these out today standing up on a gravel road, defintely alot better control and able to weight the pegs better. Changing gear was a niusance however as the peg is closer so will look at moving the lever or gettinga longer one. Mind you may get used to it.
Attached Images

Barance screwed with this post 07-03-2011 at 01:24 AM
Old 07-02-2011, 08:04 PM   #230
Barance
Adventurer

Sunny day ride

For a change we had some sunshine so here is another pic of the G :)
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2011, 01:13 AM   #231
Barance
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown View Post
Nice Photo Barry!

As I mentioned before, the headlight leaves a lot to be desired for light output for actual night riding and I'm looking to upgrade it.
I recently contacted a seller on ebay about a kit he sells for prior gs singles and this is what I got:

"We create the motorcycle HID kit based on a special listing provided by PIAA Bulb Manufacturer. Apparently PIAA bulb listing does not includes your bike in 2011 model yet. This kit consists of 1 H4 Hi Low Flex /Swing HID Xenon bulb, 1 Special relay wire harness and 1 Slim digital ballast. So if you are certain your bike has the same H4 hi low dual filament bulb type, this kit should work. However, if you are not certain, please check your user manual regarding the bulb type of your bike or physically remove the bulb and check the marking on it, then give our tech a call so he can help to confirm what HID Kit is needed."

I am currently away from home working and have no access to the bike or the manual while trying to get this upgrade going to install when I get home.

Does anyone know if the 2011 G650GS does indeed use the H4 lamp?

Any photos of the lamp or assembly would be great too.

Thanks!
Cheers re the pic Joe , must say though your photo's (and ride reports,websites etc etc) are very inpsiring , something for the rest of us to aspire too!

Re the headlamp, I just got a ventura cover for mine, here is a pic, the headlight unit would appear to be the same shape/design as is on the older G650Xchallenge and G650 moto so yes if it is then it is an H4, the part number for the moto's bulb is:
2 63217162953 LONGLIFE BULB - H4
03 63217160797 LONGLIFE BULB - 5W

Still havnt been able to find a 2011 GS fiche online yet.

Will hunt out my owners manual though and double check.

PS: Like the stickers you have, will place an order for some soon!
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2011, 01:17 AM   #232
Barance
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barance View Post
Cheers re the pic Joe , must say though your photo's (and ride reports,websites etc etc) are very inpsiring , something for the rest of us to aspire too!

Re the headlamp, I just got a ventura cover for mine, here is a pic, the headlight unit would appear to be the same shape/design as is on the older G650Xchallenge and G650 moto so yes if it is then it is an H4, the part number for the moto's bulb is:
2 63217162953 LONGLIFE BULB - H4
03 63217160797 LONGLIFE BULB - 5W

Still havnt been able to find a 2011 GS fiche online yet.

Will hunt out my owners manual though and double check.

PS: Like the stickers you have, will place an order for some soon!
On max's BMW they have a pic of the old G single but the fiche parts are for the 2011 it would seem (mags and new headlight) so yes same H4 bulb.

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...3&rnd=03252011
Old 07-07-2011, 07:40 PM   #233
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Oddometer: 454
First Post!

Hi All-
First post here! I got a 2011 G650GS a couple weeks ago and have been loving it. It is my first "real" bike -- I had a Rebel back in the day and used to ride dirt bikes oh, geez, almost 20 years ago.

I am fortunate enough to live in Ojai, CA, which is a small town in a valley with twisty mountain roads leading out in all directions. Now I know why we are invaded by hordes of motorcyclists every weekend!

I am just about ready for my 600-mile service already.

Quick question: my dealer recommended not using synthetic oil until at least 10,000 miles (if ever) to allow the rings to seat properly. I know this was the case with many cars some time ago, but does it still hold true for this engine?

Can you recommend a good oil & filter for my first oil change?

Thanks in advance, and I hope to be around here quite a bit!
Attached Images

reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:58 PM   #234
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,673
how odd...
is this an evil twin to the X-Country?
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:45 PM   #235
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Oil Threads are like ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
I am just about ready for my 600-mile service already.
Quick question: my dealer recommended not using synthetic oil until at least 10,000 miles (if ever) to allow the rings to seat properly. I know this was the case with many cars some time ago, but does it still hold true for this engine?
Is BMW making this recommendation or is this your mechanics idea?
Many modern bikes and cars are now delivered from new with synthetic oil.

I'm old school and believe rings still take time/miles to develop 100% compression. The OEM's will tell you a motor is fully bedded in, in 500 miles. I'm not quite there ... But 10K miles is absurd ... especially for a 650cc single. This isn't a 1973 R75.

I would continue with conventional, non synthetic oil until 4000 to 5000 miles at the very longest. I'd advise riding the bike a bit hard after about 1000 miles. By 4000 miles it will as broken in as it's ever going to get. But if you never rev it ... it may never fully break in properly, IMO. Let her sing, and vary RPM and load.

If you're worried about synthetic oil ... just run a semi-synthetic blend. Plenty of excellent choices out there. Your bike is liquid cooled and will do just fine with semi-synthetic oil, (motorcycle specific). Should be a 100,000 mile motor with any luck. Have fun, ride safe out there.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:02 AM   #236
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Oddometer: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Is BMW making this recommendation or is this your mechanics idea?
Many modern bikes and cars are now delivered from new with synthetic oil.

I'm old school and believe rings still take time/miles to develop 100% compression. The OEM's will tell you a motor is fully bedded in, in 500 miles. I'm not quite there ... But 10K miles is absurd ... especially for a 650cc single. This isn't a 1973 R75.

I would continue with conventional, non synthetic oil until 4000 to 5000 miles at the very longest. I'd advise riding the bike a bit hard after about 1000 miles. By 4000 miles it will as broken in as it's ever going to get. But if you never rev it ... it may never fully break in properly, IMO. Let her sing, and vary RPM and load.

If you're worried about synthetic oil ... just run a semi-synthetic blend. Plenty of excellent choices out there. Your bike is liquid cooled and will do just fine with semi-synthetic oil, (motorcycle specific). Should be a 100,000 mile motor with any luck. Have fun, ride safe out there.
I appreciate the advice. I come here (humbly) from the world of cars where I swear by synthetics when administered properly. The aforementioned advice came from my local BMW dealer.

Another motorcycle n00b question: Is there motorcycle-specific motor oil? Perhaps they require different additives or something? Or do I just get some good 20W-50 dino oil, the appropriate filter, and go for it?
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:19 AM   #237
Barance
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
I appreciate the advice. I come here (humbly) from the world of cars where I swear by synthetics when administered properly. The aforementioned advice came from my local BMW dealer.

Another motorcycle n00b question: Is there motorcycle-specific motor oil? Perhaps they require different additives or something? Or do I just get some good 20W-50 dino oil, the appropriate filter, and go for it?
I would go with what the BMW manual says myself.I cant remember what it said and mine is under my seat so will pull it out over the weekend.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:05 AM   #238
MarkWAau
Do they serve Pinot?

Oddometer: 286
Cool2

2011 manual states:

Viscosity classes recommended by BMW Motorrad:
SAE 10W-40, API SG / SH / JASO MA (greater than or equal to -20C)
SAE 15W-40, API SG / SH / JASO MA (greater than or equal to -10C)

Oil grades:
BMW Motorrad recommends not using oil additives, because they can have a detrimental effect on clutch operation. BMW Motorrad recommends not using synthetic oils for the first 10,000km. Please do not hesitate to contact your authorised BMW dealer if you have any questions relating the choice of a suitable engine oil for your motorcycle.

Sounds pretty straight forward...
MarkWAau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:39 AM   #239
Barance
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22 View Post
how odd...
is this an evil twin to the X-Country?
Think they stopped making the X Country/X moto/X Challenge a year or so ago.

So maybe not the evil twin but more back to the future as it is pretty much the 05- 09 model F but much needed updated cosmetics.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:58 AM   #240
Davidc83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWAau View Post
2011 manual states:

Viscosity classes recommended by BMW Motorrad:
SAE 10W-40, API SG / SH / JASO MA (greater than or equal to -20C)
SAE 15W-40, API SG / SH / JASO MA (greater than or equal to -10C)

Oil grades:
BMW Motorrad recommends not using oil additives, because they can have a detrimental effect on clutch operation. BMW Motorrad recommends not using synthetic oils for the first 10,000km. Please do not hesitate to contact your authorised BMW dealer if you have any questions relating the choice of a suitable engine oil for your motorcycle.

Sounds pretty straight forward...
10,000 kms is approx 6250 miles. So after 6000 miles you can start using synthetics if you deem necessary. I have never used the stuff; i use Rotella T 15w40 in all my vehicles. I have the 2009 G650GS with 19,000+ miles, no problems.
Davidc83 is offline   Reply With Quote