Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2012, 11:45 PM   #511
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by raftn View Post
Excellent pics lost rider...just excellent! Love seeing a 650 getting a hard time, I give mine plent of abuse as well!
+1000, wish I had places like that to ride my GS.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:37 AM   #512
CDillard
Team Kattouf

Oddometer: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
It's not abuse...
Abuse is not taking a GS in the dirt and getting LOST.

Thanks for the awesome (enviable) pics! Love them
Old 03-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #513
mmoore415
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Ok, so I'm coming up on my first service. I'm getting quotes of over $200...is it worth it? I did the maintenance on my Sportster but bought it used. This is the first time I've been the one running an engine in. Do they check that many items to justify that price? Anyone here just done it themselves?
mmoore415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #514
raftn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore415 View Post
Ok, so I'm coming up on my first service. I'm getting quotes of over $200...is it worth it? I did the maintenance on my Sportster but bought it used. This is the first time I've been the one running an engine in. Do they check that many items to justify that price? Anyone here just done it themselves?
Mine was free, only charged me for Oil and filter. Perhaps they do it differently here in NZ. $200 does seem a bit excessive I have to say
raftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:29 PM   #515
mmoore415
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Been checking around most of today. Three different shops can do it, prices are $200, $240 and $300 I'm guessing a happy ending comes with it?
mmoore415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #516
DigDig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
My feeling is that the first time it goes to the shop, just so they can check it out, put it on the computer, etc. For me it was $230 or so last year. Since then it's been all my own work, like most the other bikes I've owned.

“It was a woman who drove me to drink, but I never wrote to thank her.” W.C. Fields
DigDig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:09 AM   #517
Barance
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Mine was free, only charged me for Oil and filter. Perhaps they do it differently here in NZ. $200 does seem a bit excessive I have to say
I should have bought mine from where you did! I got charged a tad under $200 when I got mine done in Wellington before I moved north.
Barance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:14 AM   #518
raftn
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barance View Post
I should have bought mine from where you did! I got charged a tad under $200 when I got mine done in Wellington before I moved north.

I was surprised, but Henry looks after me at Experince, I have always found him good to deal with. Where will you get is serviced when it is due?

Have you put a knobley on it yet..I was even thinking putting one on the back. During winter I think it would be good, I know you dont get many KM's out of a year but would like to try it..what ya reckon?
Old 03-14-2012, 03:15 AM   #519
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore415 View Post
Sounds like a cash cow to me. Below is what I found on the UKGSer site, seems like an easy DIY job.
Quote:
They do an oil & filter change and check security of fittings. Adjust chain and that is about it.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:10 AM   #520
Barance
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
I was surprised, but Henry looks after me at Experince, I have always found him good to deal with. Where will you get is serviced when it is due?

Have you put a knobley on it yet..I was even thinking putting one on the back. During winter I think it would be good, I know you dont get many KM's out of a year but would like to try it..what ya reckon?
Was thinking of going down to Hamilton for the next one, they still can do warranty services, they did my Speedmaster recently, being in Puke its easier going south!

No havnt gone for a knobbly yet, doing a trip up far north soon so maybe after that.
Barance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #521
raftn
Adventurer

http://rogerfleming-raftnn.blogspot....adventure.html

Here is my blog from the weekend just gone, riding around Poronui Station in the central North Island. A bit of a spiel about the GS at the bottom.

[IMG] 526905_326565657405091_239093809485610_886317_5311 98992_n by Roger Fleming, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 04-06-2012, 06:05 AM   #522
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
model #

Which model # did you choose, I dont see the the G650GS in their fitment chart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barance View Post
Got the Pivot Pegz, easy install, look great and feel great 60mm wide!! much better than the small std factory supplied one.

I will be keen to try these out on and off road..while keeping a close eye on my right fork leg !
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:58 AM   #523
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,088
Wicked More Death Valley Fun

We are having an intermittent issue with the bike losing power around mid-throttle, then kicking back in when you open the throttle up.
Took it to the dealer, they did pretty comprehensive testing including a 60 mile ride and were unable to reproduce or diagnose the problem. $150 waisted.
Anyone else having any sort of problem like this? It feels like it's not getting enough gas while cruising down the road at 30-40% throttle.

So far at over 9,000 miles that's the only issue we have with the 2011 GS, beside the horrible foot peg bracket design that bends far too easy and is all tweaked from simple drops of the bike. The pegs can't fold in enough and just push the mounting brackets in. Terrible design.
The bike in general is hard to stand up properly/comfortably because of the wide fuel tank and little foot pegs, and now it's near impossible with the brackets bend. I use a big hammer and straighten them out, only to have them bend back on the first drop.
I like the idea of wider pegs, but am very concerned about what having more leverage will do to the weak peg mounts in a fall.... On the right/brake side the footrest bracket can bend in easily and hit the rear brake lever, a real problem.

On a positive note we've been meeting with Scott's Performance (their shop is close by) and are going to be loaning them the G650 GS for a few weeks so they can develop a steering damper for the bike, something that is badly needed and will greatly enhance the all around performance of this bike both on and off tarmac for everyone.
I'll keep you posted.

-Finn

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #524
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post

We are having an intermittent issue with the bike losing power around mid-throttle, then kicking back in when you open the throttle up.
Took it to the dealer, they did pretty comprehensive testing including a 60 mile ride and were unable to reproduce or diagnose the problem. $150 waisted.
Anyone else having any sort of problem like this? It feels like it's not getting enough gas while cruising down the road at 30-40% throttle.

So far at over 9,000 miles that's the only issue we have with the 2011 GS, beside the horrible foot peg bracket design that bends far too easy and is all tweaked from simple drops of the bike. The pegs can't fold in enough and just push the mounting brackets in. Terrible design.
The bike in general is hard to stand up properly/comfortably because of the wide fuel tank and little foot pegs, and now it's near impossible with the brackets bend. I use a big hammer and straighten them out, only to have them bend back on the first drop.
I like the idea of wider pegs, but am very concerned about what having more leverage will do to the weak peg mounts in a fall.... On the right/brake side the footrest bracket can bend in easily and hit the rear brake lever, a real problem.

Why would your dealer charge you to diagnose a problem while your bike is under warranty? I would be complaining to BMW NA...

Loads of people have been switching to wide pegs for the past 12 years without reporting a peg mount issue.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #525
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Why would your dealer charge you to diagnose a problem while your bike is under warranty? I would be complaining to BMW NA...

I'd imagine they charged me because they spent hours trying to diagnose the problem, but without a "warranty" claim they will not get reimbursed by BMW NA. They didn't find the problem, therefore no warranty work was done. I don't expect my shop to work for free, even if the bike is under warranty, who's to say it's not our fault there's a problem? It's not like we treat this bike as a jewel, it's a tool that will be replaced one day. Since they didn't find the problem it was a waist of money, but part of owning a bike.
With intermittent problems like this nothing is cut and dry. Now when we do find the problem and if it is warrantied, I will bring it up what we've already paid and I'd imagine Ventura BMW, a dealer I have a good relationship with, will do something for me in return.
I don't waist mine or BMW NA's time by complaining, they don't have anything to do with how a dealer runs their business, and I dont feel the dealer was out of line, they spent far more then 1.5 hours on it and spent lots of time with us and the tech who worked on it and the service manager discussing the bike and what they did. From what I saw they were very thorough and have no complaints.

As for the foot pegs, I wonder if we just drop the bike on rocks more than others...
It does seem like a fragile design to me though.

Cheers

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote