Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2012, 01:27 AM   #631
copter105
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Does anyone know what kind of side cases these are?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronrkelly View Post

This bike even looks good laying over on its side.
copter105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:46 AM   #632
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,028
SW Motech Trax.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/688/
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #633
red450
WEE-A-BOO

Oddometer: 307
I'm in the early stage of bike shopping (currently ride a 93 Yamaha XJ600) and I'm eyeing the Wee Strom and the G650GS. I'd love to have a F800GS but it's out of my price range.

I'm curious how the G650 handles a passenger. My wife and I weigh about the same, around 140lbs. How do you think the thumper would fair? I don't plan on doing heavy offroad riding, just gravel, fire roads and the like. We do like to take the slab once in a while.
red450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #634
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,135
We've found the G 650 to be pretty good for riding two up, from trails to 75mph interstate slab runs it's handled just fine. I believe the thumper GS is a very competent two up bike, depending on one's expectations of comfort since it's a "small" bike. With two people your size I see no problems with riding as you describe.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #635
red450
WEE-A-BOO

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
We've found the G 650 to be pretty good for riding two up, from trails to 75mph interstate slab runs it's handled just fine. I believe the thumper GS is a very competent two up bike, depending on one's expectations of comfort since it's a "small" bike. With two people your size I see no problems with riding as you describe.
Good to hear! I don't expect R1100GS comfort but I do expect it to be better than my XJ600. Mainly due to the seat to peg distance and the slight forward lean.
red450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:51 PM   #636
Lost Rider
Roadie

I would imagine that it is more comfy than your xj600 for two up, it's an upright seating position for both of us with well placed handles for her to hold on to. It doesn't allow us to stretch out quite like my R1200R, but we never found it too cramped either. These photos were from a trip where I had my 12R but wanted to explore some single track, the GS felt just fine.
If it was primarily going to be used for two up I'd imagine a custom seat and stiffer rear spring would make it even more comfy. For us it's the exception, not the norm so we make due with it stock and cranking up the shock preload.

It sure helps having two people to get the bike back on the trail when things go wrong.

LostRider.com
Old 09-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #637
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,228
Numerous pics of my wife's G650GS in our ride report. Cheers.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:41 PM   #638
Lost Rider
Roadie

Bazzaz update!

So we took the 650GS into Bazzaz for them to develop a piggy back module fuel injection controller thingy.
Impressive shop with nice guys who are passionate about what they do.

Our first impressions are EXCELLENT!

Their product gives you the option to switch between two maps, a "power" map and a map for better fuel economy.

With the power map, it is quite noticeable that the bike runs better, pulls harder, quicker throttle response, etc.
No more lag or stutter when rolling on the throttle, like to pass on the highway. Idles smoother and just feels better all around. Does the few HP that was gained really make the bike faster?.... I don't know, haven't raced it lately to compare times, but it sure does feel better.
As expected with the power map, MPG did take a hit, the fuel light is coming on about 10-15 miles earlier than it did in the past. Nancy has been commuting for the last week with it, I haven't had time to do any real analysis of fuel milage, but hope to in the near future.

I rode the bike today with the economy map selected and while the bike most definitely runs smoother, it also doesn't pull quite as hard as with the power map.
More testing for hard numbers on fuel economy to come.

I've been skeptical in the past about bolt on performance mods, never really thought about it honestly.
One thing is for sure, I wouldn't be disappointed with the performance if I had purchased this product, it really does make the bike run noticeably better.

You can see the Dyno chart from the G650GS on the Bazzaz webiste:

http://www.bazzaz.net

LostRider.com
Old 09-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #639
Bazzaz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
I'm glad you like it!

This bike had some very.... "interesting" stock fueling characteristics. from 0-80% throttle it got progressively leaner until it was hitting around 14.7:1 AFR at 80% throttle and mid to high RPM. That is excessively lean for a motorcycle, considering we usually tune to 13.0 and really never above 13.3. Then at 90-100% it starts dumping fuel into the cylinder, going as rich as 11.0:1 AFR. So What I did for the power map was to tune it to 13.0 from 0-80% and then 12.5 from 90-100% because it did make better power running rich up top. Our fuel economy map still isn't as lean as the stock map, mainly because we don't consider 14.7 a safe AFR to run a bike at, but I did map as lean as 13.7 in the areas where the stock map was very lean, and did not richen up the top end like I did on the power map.

Here's the Dyno Graph
Bazzaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:41 PM   #640
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Oddometer: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzaz View Post
I'm glad you like it!

This bike had some very.... "interesting" stock fueling characteristics. from 0-80% throttle it got progressively leaner until it was hitting around 14.7:1 AFR at 80% throttle and mid to high RPM. That is excessively lean for a motorcycle, considering we usually tune to 13.0 and really never above 13.3. Then at 90-100% it starts dumping fuel into the cylinder, going as rich as 11.0:1 AFR. So What I did for the power map was to tune it to 13.0 from 0-80% and then 12.5 from 90-100% because it did make better power running rich up top. Our fuel economy map still isn't as lean as the stock map, mainly because we don't consider 14.7 a safe AFR to run a bike at, but I did map as lean as 13.7 in the areas where the stock map was very lean, and did not richen up the top end like I did on the power map.
If you need more data on the economy map I have a very consistent commute of ~20 freeway miles each way 5 days a week, day in and day out, rain or shine. I'm an engineer and can be borderline OCD with keeping data.

I currently get 60-62 mpg consistently. It would be interesting to see if you can improve on that, or even keep it the same but with safer AFRs.

I'm in the area too. Just sayin'.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:08 PM   #641
Bazzaz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
If you need more data on the economy map I have a very consistent commute of ~20 freeway miles each way 5 days a week, day in and day out, rain or shine. I'm an engineer and can be borderline OCD with keeping data.

I currently get 60-62 mpg consistently. It would be interesting to see if you can improve on that, or even keep it the same but with safer AFRs.

I'm in the area too. Just sayin'.
lol, I'm satisfied with the maps I made. If you'd like to do more experimentation with the fuel eco map feel free to do as much testing as you like.
Bazzaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:22 PM   #642
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzaz View Post
lol, I'm satisfied with the maps I made. If you'd like to do more experimentation with the fuel eco map feel free to do as much testing as you like.
When will the product be on the market?
Old 09-17-2012, 05:29 PM   #643
Guttooth71
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Talk me into a g650gs

Anyone wanna talk me into this bike?I would plan on using it 90% roads 10% fire roads, pole lines, single track etc. Can anyone attest to the off road ability of the new GS? Looking for a jack most trades bike, thanks
Guttooth71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #644
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guttooth71 View Post
Anyone wanna talk me into this bike?I would plan on using it 90% roads 10% fire roads, pole lines, single track etc. Can anyone attest to the off road ability of the new GS? Looking for a jack most trades bike, thanks
That's about exactly my breakdown and I love it. The bike is my daily freeway commuter and cruises along at 75-80mph getting 60+ mpg, then more than gets it done on my mini weekend warrior adventures. Look at Lost Rider's posts for myriad testimonials to the bike's off-road abilities.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:07 AM   #645
Kim_uk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Can- bus?

Can anyone tell me if the G650gs 2011 is canbus?

Thanks
Kim_uk is offline   Reply With Quote