ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 07:48 AM   #691
Mr. GREEN
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: JURA / FRANCE
Oddometer: 15
Nice picture Lost Rider
Mr. GREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:17 PM   #692
BreakNeckSpeed
Adventurer
 
BreakNeckSpeed's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: the lowcountry of south carolina
Oddometer: 19
anyone know the color code/name for 2011 in red?
BreakNeckSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:23 AM   #693
Northwest Cajun
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Northwest Cajun's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Roy Wa ( Via Lafayette La)
Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWAau View Post
I currently use the BMW engine crashbars / plate and have the upper touratech bar. The touratech bar is a different diameter to the lower BMW bar + the powdercoating is a different colour (I had this recoated). The bar through Sierra looks really good as it looks about the same diameter as the BMW engine bar and the same colour. More importantly, it seems to provide a little more protection. I'd err towards this one especially if you have the standard BMW lower engine protection fitted.
Touratech/BMW designs their protection so one piece isn't enough. You need the lower and upper bars to protect your bike. A good portion of TT stuff is that way. ( example: handle bar protection for the G650gs from TT needs a bar riser to clear the wind screen and longer brake cabe and if you have ABS that MUST be done at the dealer….$$$$$)
The ALTrider bars protect everything w/ one bar…. Simple minimalist design that covers all the points it needs to. Take a look… http://www.altrider.com/altrider-cra...gs/pcid/1158-3
__________________
Laisses Les Bon Temps Rouler
Northwest Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #694
BreakNeckSpeed
Adventurer
 
BreakNeckSpeed's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: the lowcountry of south carolina
Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Cajun View Post
Touratech/BMW designs their protection so one piece isn't enough. You need the lower and upper bars to protect your bike. A good portion of TT stuff is that way. ( example: handle bar protection for the G650gs from TT needs a bar riser to clear the wind screen and longer brake cabe and if you have ABS that MUST be done at the dealer….$$$$$)
The ALTrider bars protect everything w/ one bar…. Simple minimalist design that covers all the points it needs to. Take a look… http://www.altrider.com/altrider-cra...gs/pcid/1158-3
Thanks for this info, I'm trying to sort out a lot of stuff on my first BMW.
BreakNeckSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #695
windowto
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: NJ
Oddometer: 779
Seat Rental Anyone?

I have a 2012 Sertao and I am in the process of scheduling my custom seat work with Renazco. Should be some time in July. Wondering if any of you guys with custom seats have an original laying around somewhere. I am asking because I know some just purchase another seat to avoid the down time. If yes, would you be willing to rent it out, while mine is being worked on? I know I can buy one on the flea market, but that seems silly to me.

I am in Northern NJ (next door to NYC). PM me. Thank you
windowto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #696
beemerguy
n00b
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Oddometer: 2
Wana trade wheels?

I have an 09 G650GS that has 4500 miles on the tires and spoke wheels in excellent condition, and maybe 40 miles of gravel roads.
I would be willing to trade for a set of G650GS mag wheel and tire assemblies (in excellent condition also), since almost all of my riding is street and or highway. We could meet and just swap out complete assemblies.
I am at the Bonita Camp & Conference Center, which is half way between Ruidoso, NM and Capitan, NM.
We will be in Phoenix, AZ, after October 1st, if someone in AZ, or if someone in between here and there is interested in trading and we can make arrangements to meet along the way.
If you or someone you know wants or needs G650GS spoke wheels, I can be reached at:
crzdude@hughes.net
cell: 602-625-4000


Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Yellow View Post
This just in, seems BMW are bringing back the single cylinder 650GS with 48 bhp for 2011. Nice! I like thumpers more than parallel twins and the 650 Dakar I had before was a sweet bike.

Of course the cast wheels would have to go and makes me question the off road capabilities of the bike, but it sure looks like a nice commuter/back road touring/light off road tool.








More pictures here: http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...50gs/?gal=1#/4

An ADV version with spoked wheels, knobbies, sump guard, hand guards etc is what we'd really want though...
beemerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:39 PM   #697
beemerguy
n00b
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Oddometer: 2
If the cast wheels have to go, "Wana" trade wheels and tires??

I have an 09 G650GS that has 4500 miles on the tires and spoke wheels in excellent condition, and maybe 40 miles of gravel roads.
I would be willing to trade for a set of G650GS mag wheel and tire assemblies (in excellent condition also), since almost all of my riding is street and or highway. We could meet and just swap out complete assemblies.
I am at the Bonita Camp & Conference Center, which is half way between Ruidoso, NM and Capitan, NM.
We will be in Phoenix, AZ, after October 1st, if someone in AZ, or if someone in between here and there is interested in trading and we can make arrangements to meet along the way.
If you or someone you know wants or needs G650GS spoke wheels, I can be reached at:
crzdude@hughes.net
cell: 602-625-4000


Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Yellow View Post
This just in, seems BMW are bringing back the single cylinder 650GS with 48 bhp for 2011. Nice! I like thumpers more than parallel twins and the 650 Dakar I had before was a sweet bike.

Of course the cast wheels would have to go and makes me question the off road capabilities of the bike, but it sure looks like a nice commuter/back road touring/light off road tool.








More pictures here: http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...50gs/?gal=1#/4

An ADV version with spoked wheels, knobbies, sump guard, hand guards etc is what we'd really want though...
beemerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:56 PM   #698
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 2,262
Have any of you looked at the radiator fan ?. The fan and shroud from these new 2010+ models is now listed as a spare for our older GS's

I am trying to source a non BMW fan to suit and what I need is all/any numbers and manufacturer logo's from the fan, pic's would be good
BMW want $US240 ish for the fan and I know that equivalents go for about $US70 so there is a real scope to save $ on replacements

Can anyone assist ?. Any info I can find out will be posted back on line to help everyone
__________________
650GS Info - www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au
WayneC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:08 PM   #699
The_Precious_Juice
In Garrison.
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Roanoke Valley, Virginia
Oddometer: 1,590
Finished reading this thread

Greetings,

5'-8"
163lbs.

Great pictures here.
Lost Rider has me thinking the bike is the all rounder I'm looking for.

the posts really dropped off around spring.

I feel good about getting the bike stock.

The TT aluminum skid plate $180 looks great. It is not much more expensive than the German turtle shell, but looks stronger (4mm) and covers more surface area.

I really like the look of the AltRider Crash Bars ($196.30). The website has some great pics of the bike laying down with the guards clearly doing their thing.
The TT Engine guard looks ok ($147), but the Fairing crashbar looks like it does not even stick out far enough to get the job done.
I know to get the better screws with the TT gear.

_
I'll pass on the heated grips and get the hippo deals. This may be a mistake seeing how I want this vehicle to be a communter (will live in Southwestern VA). Winters get down into the low 30s (F) a lot.
_
One of the first things will be the Barkbusters. I doubt I'll need to improve the height of the steering wheel.
_
At the 600 mile check, will have the small red lithum battary put in.

_
I can't seem to find a muffler that is light and quite. The options (Staintune, alzrapovic, two brothers, Italy one, and LA seem to be louder than the stock).
I'd pay up to $500 for a really light and quite muffler. HP gains or losses do not matter.
I still need to do research on this cat converter muffler. I still have hundreds of Sertao posts to read through.
_
I'm taking the getto aproach on storage. the BMW has some adavtages. Big ol rear platform. Pungie cords/ 550 cords and using bags and ruck sacks from my days with the Marines will be SOP. I'll get something on the tank to hang down past the fairings to cover up the legs in the winter wind, and to protect her from falls. I believe in either the 2012 Sertao or G650GS thread, on post 1444, there are some great pics of aerostich tank panniers that I like.
I'm still confused on what would be a good pannier for holding gear. I'll have to worry about that after gettig a newer muffler.
_
I like the stock seat (31.5") and stock suspension. My rider boots should have a solid hold on the ground for those off-road moments of gettig stuck or stopped.

I have this getto fabulous idea to have a big ol tarp for multi use.

1. bike cover
2. Lean-to when camping
3. Easy to put gear in and cover up and hide while in the woods.
4. Could fold it up (and secure to seat) as a cushion and give a better commanding ride height, and strech legs more on the highway.
5. It be nice to spread the tarp out over the tank/seat/rear while riding in the rain.

The_Precious_Juice screwed with this post 06-24-2013 at 02:05 PM
The_Precious_Juice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:48 PM   #700
The_Precious_Juice
In Garrison.
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Roanoke Valley, Virginia
Oddometer: 1,590
But I still have doubts

The irony is that the bike fits the low base lifestyle I want, but its kind of a double bladed sword.
I think the bike can replace a car for a single, mid 30s, no family dude.

Two things.

1. The BMW image. Never have liked the cars and such. Plus, living/riding in some of the poorest areas of Appalachia with a BMW may not go too well.

The best I can do is just go getto with my riding gear and gear on the bike. This should bring the pH to an even 7.
At this rate, I'll be a lone wolf. The locals will think I'm too good for them, and the BMW club will see me as trash.

I can negate this issue by
1. covering up the BMW logos.
2. When someone ask about who makes the bike, I'll just say the engine was put together in China. . Then I'll change the subject.
No, but seriously, I'll just tell them the truth. This is the best bike for my needs. It's got everything covered.

__

2. I do not have problem with the initial pricing. I think the BMW destroys the compitition with intial pricing. The consumer is getting a lot here.
However, where the other bikes catch up is after a couple years of ownership. BTW, my home will be minutes away from a certifed dealerhip!
Not being a mechanic, i look to pay thousands just in routine maintance in a three year period. After the warrenty is up, I'll really be pushing my luck.

So, the bike actually does not really fit a low base frugal lifestyle. Toy tax is kind of high here.

__
That's where the Honda NC700X comes in. the bike is 85% of what I'm looking for. I really want to support this car/bike functionality thing Honda is pushing. But the bike gives up too much in the off-road department.
with the inital cost and savings on maintance, I could get a new set of TKC tires and wheels to take off and on for the occasion.

Or I could pruchase a 250cc bike to compliment the NC700X, and do some really fun ultralight adventure riding. But that's money out of the coin purse.

So in the end, its a wash. I do not think 20 years from now, it will really matter what bike or bike combo I pick.

But, I"m a telling you'all this now. It's really hard finding the right bike or even BIKES combo.
It it was a car, I'd go Subaru Forester 2014 6sp base model, and then I'd be one and done.
Finding the right bike is hard. Unlike cars, I actually care what the bike looks like... Not that Foresters are bland cars.

Thanks for the rambling post.

The_Precious_Juice screwed with this post 06-24-2013 at 02:01 PM
The_Precious_Juice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:46 AM   #701
mramosc
Gnarly Adventurer
 
mramosc's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: San Jose, CA
Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Precious_Juice View Post
Greetings,

5'-8"
163lbs.

Great pictures here.
Lost Rider has me thinking the bike is the all rounder I'm looking for.

the posts really dropped off around spring.

I feel good about getting the bike stock.

The TT aluminum skid plate $180 looks great. It is not much more expensive than the German turtle shell, but looks stronger (4mm) and covers more surface area.

I really like the look of the AltRider Crash Bars ($196.30). The website has some great pics of the bike laying down with the guards clearly doing their thing.
The TT Engine guard looks ok ($147), but the Fairing crashbar looks like it does not even stick out far enough to get the job done.
I know to get the better screws with the TT gear.

_
I'll pass on the heated grips and get the hippo deals. This may be a mistake seeing how I want this vehicle to be a communter (will live in Southwestern VA). Winters get down into the low 30s (F) a lot.
_
One of the first things will be the Barkbusters. I doubt I'll need to improve the height of the steering wheel.
_
At the 600 mile check, will have the small red lithum battary put in.

_
I can't seem to find a muffler that is light and quite. The options (Staintune, alzrapovic, two brothers, Italy one, and LA seem to be louder than the stock).
I'd pay up to $500 for a really light and quite muffler. HP gains or losses do not matter.
I still need to do research on this cat converter muffler. I still have hundreds of Sertao posts to read through.
_
I'm taking the getto aproach on storage. the BMW has some adavtages. Big ol rear platform. Pungie cords/ 550 cords and using bags and ruck sacks from my days with the Marines will be SOP. I'll get something on the tank to hang down past the fairings to cover up the legs in the winter wind, and to protect her from falls. I believe in either the 2012 Sertao or G650GS thread, on post 1444, there are some great pics of aerostich tank panniers that I like.
I'm still confused on what would be a good pannier for holding gear. I'll have to worry about that after gettig a newer muffler.
_
I like the stock seat (31.5") and stock suspension. My rider boots should have a solid hold on the ground for those off-road moments of gettig stuck or stopped.

I have this getto fabulous idea to have a big ol tarp for multi use.

1. bike cover
2. Lean-to when camping
3. Easy to put gear in and cover up and hide while in the woods.
4. Could fold it up (and secure to seat) as a cushion and give a better commanding ride height, and strech legs more on the highway.
5. It be nice to spread the tarp out over the tank/seat/rear while riding in the rain.
Hi, I got the bike about a year ago and really love it. I have added a lot of the gear you are talking about; Altrider crash bars, Barkbusters, etc. (BTW, you are correct, there is no need to change the handle bar height in order to add the Barkbusters)
I'm not sure the Altrider crash bars are compatible with the TT engine guard because the use the same set of holes in the bike, you might still be able to install one on top of the other though.
Yeah I think the TT fairing guards are a joke, the only attach to the bike on the front, and the back of it it's just floating, and they are pretty thin too. I have seen some pretty bad reviews about them bending for no reason. The Altrider bars, in the other hand, are pretty tough.

Yes, not much action in this thread any more, take a look at "The G650GS Thread", it also covers the 2009-2010 version of the G650GS but most people there have the newer version.

And well since you are asking about farkles, I just could not resist the temptation to post some pictures of my beloved bike here too:


mramosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:53 AM   #702
RogerWilco
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Oddometer: 307
the G650GS is the first bike I've owned that had heated grips: I like 'em! They are great for a commute to work.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:00 PM   #703
The_Precious_Juice
In Garrison.
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Roanoke Valley, Virginia
Oddometer: 1,590
Nice tips... and bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mramosc View Post
Hi, I got the bike about a year ago and really love it. I have added a lot of the gear you are talking about; Altrider crash bars, Barkbusters, etc. (BTW, you are correct, there is no need to change the handle bar height in order to add the Barkbusters)
I'm not sure the Altrider crash bars are compatible with the TT engine guard because the use the same set of holes in the bike, you might still be able to install one on top of the other though.
Yeah I think the TT fairing guards are a joke, the only attach to the bike on the front, and the back of it it's just floating, and they are pretty thin too. I have seen some pretty bad reviews about them bending for no reason. The Altrider bars, in the other hand, are pretty tough.

Yes, not much action in this thread any more, take a look at "The G650GS Thread", it also covers the 2009-2010 version of the G650GS but most people there have the newer version.

And well since you are asking about farkles, I just could not resist the temptation to post some pictures of my beloved bike here too:


Thanks for the reply.
I finished up the G650GS thread yesterday. I only have a month left on reading on the 2012 Sertao.

_
The little red battary may not be the way to go. There is actually one that is the same size and lighter, but delivers more juice. It starts with an S.
_
The LA Vance muffler, would have to do. The Sertao guys report that it is not too loud when just idealing. It would be good to have in certain settings. The price is really fair, and the DIY aspect has a diffucultiy of 1/10. However, the computer inside may have an issue with it. Dunno. Check out the post in april and may for more details.
Ear protection would be needed.
_
I could skip on the TT engine guard and just go with the Fairing guard we are fans of.
__
Yesterday after posting the above thread I read a "atom bomb" post on the Sertao thread.
Owners have until 01 Jan 2014 to get the "Hot start" issue taken care of. After that, no warrenty. I was dumb founded.
Seems like a consumer could buy a 2013 (in December of this year) that has been sitting on the floor all year (made before July or October 2012, what ever the cut off date is), and then have to pay out of pocket for the "silent recall" issue days later. What I'm I missing?

I had hoped that that a name like BMW would be a clear example of "you get what you pay for." Maybe I'm wrong.

_
Thanks to Father Time, I have a good amount of time before buying.

I'm going back and looking over my Mighty DR notes....

__

The heated grips are tempting, but the less gremlins the better. Artic gloves may be needed.
The_Precious_Juice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:39 AM   #704
mramosc
Gnarly Adventurer
 
mramosc's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: San Jose, CA
Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Precious_Juice View Post
Thanks for the reply.
I finished up the G650GS thread yesterday. I only have a month left on reading on the 2012 Sertao.
Yep, those threads are fun, I also read all of them, and I'm always happy to see new posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Precious_Juice View Post
Yesterday after posting the above thread I read a "atom bomb" post on the Sertao thread.
Owners have until 01 Jan 2014 to get the "Hot start" issue taken care of. After that, no warrenty. I was dumb founded.
Seems like a consumer could buy a 2013 (in December of this year) that has been sitting on the floor all year (made before July or October 2012, what ever the cut off date is), and then have to pay out of pocket for the "silent recall" issue days later. What I'm I missing?

I had hoped that that a name like BMW would be a clear example of "you get what you pay for." Maybe I'm wrong.

Well it is pretty simple to see if a bike could have that problem; the service bulletin by BMW says that any engine serial number above 61712400 should be ok. So if you were to buy a bike just be sure you check that number first. I bought my bike in early July last year and thought that I could probably have a bike with that problem, but my serial number is above that, and I never had any start issues.


Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Precious_Juice View Post
The heated grips are tempting, but the less gremlins the better. Artic gloves may be needed.
I almost passed on the heated grips because I thought; hey I'll never need them in California!... well there is been plenty of times that I have been really happy I got them.

mramosc screwed with this post 06-26-2013 at 12:46 AM
mramosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:06 AM   #705
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Kentucky-Eastern that is!
Oddometer: 2,846
What is this crap about "covering up the BMW Roundel in Appalachia?Nobody here gives a shit about your bikes logo... I've ridden since 1963,69 yrs old & have lived in eastern KY since 1973 @ age 30. Those that live here & really know MC's know what they all are(most anyway) & those that don't are not hoping you'll cover up logo's on a MC? Stop being self-conscious about stuff that doesn't matter-today's world (USA) is so full of posers , please don't join them in trying to be anything but yourself! My point is that ,while your not a poser(the polar opposite in fact) just don't waste time worrying about the ones that are. Ride what you ride, leave it at that! I belong to the BMW club & I'm NOT! a joiner either. Mostly for magazine & that forum, have only been to two of the rallies. Fact is that many in the club own several MC's & not always that brand. I have a Honda & a Bultaco & BMW's. Several rider friends have several brands. All mfg's make some good ones & some crappies too. If my legs were longer I'd be riding a white 2012 Wee-Strom today!
Truth be known many of us that ride a BMW are more of the gearhead/greasy type than worried about social issues like what bling some ghetto kid wears around their neck like a mercedes star or BMW roundel.
Have fun & ride it. As to the ghetto look luggage-the military waterproof bags work well for camp gear but I'll stick with hard luggage for my panties,tool,parts,etc.. I'm currently farkeling my new ride 12G650GS & mounting SKB's to sides(unless I decide their too big) & B&W type 55 to top using Wolfman racks & undetermined top rack. I may sell my TCI Borrego rack that came with MC & replace with a flat plate.
Have fun on your bike-minimalist style or not! & thanks for your service from a vet.
__________________
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014