Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2011, 01:49 AM   #91
MarkWAau
Do they serve Pinot?

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcfloyd View Post
Here a shot of my New 11''. I just took delivery last week. I wanted the white on Red but I was told that was a no go as well. As was the Red on Red. European Spec only.

I'm loving the bike in general. Any recommendations fellow owners on a high quality top case or panniers? The BMW stuff is way pricey.
Touratech sell nice panniers for the G650GS... 2011 catalogue page 527.
MarkWAau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #92
Farmer Palmer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWAau View Post
Touratech sell nice panniers for the G650GS... 2011 catalogue page 527.
We just swapped our 29 litre Touratech Zegas from our 05 F650GS aswell as handguards and topbox.

FP.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:01 AM   #93
MarkWAau
Do they serve Pinot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Palmer View Post
We just swapped our 29 litre Touratech Zegas from our 05 F650GS aswell as handguards and topbox.

FP.
Did you need to install a longer brake cable?
Old 04-28-2011, 04:37 AM   #94
Farmer Palmer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Did you need to install a longer brake cable?
No, this did concern me at first untill I was able to try them on the new bike. It's the BMW hanguards we swapped whereas the Touratech ones are 'deeper' and would foul on the 'tank' panels at full lock.

You'd need the bar risers and the longer brake line aswell. I noticed Touratech sell their handguards complete with the risers as a single pack.

Bit of a 'faff' having to change all that lot just for some handguards though.....!

FP.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:50 AM   #95
MarkWAau
Do they serve Pinot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Palmer View Post
Bit of a 'faff' having to change all that lot just for some handguards though.....!

FP.
Agree ... Still tossing up the idea of genuine or Touratech handguards. I just ordered a genuine bashplate and engine guard so my wallet is still recovering from the shock.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:28 AM   #96
Farmer Palmer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Agree ... Still tossing up the idea of genuine or Touratech handguards. I just ordered a genuine bashplate and engine guard so my wallet is still recovering from the shock.
The black/white Touratech handguards look 'the dogs bollocks' but they're not cheap, our BMW ones cost around 60 and with a few scuffs and scrapes look the part.

Mrs P. is waiting on......

Touratech Stainless fairing Bars
Stainless engine Bars
Perspex removeable headlamp guard
Sumpguard
Sidestand enlarger plate

That's costing around 400 but I guess we've saved nearly 1000 by using the kit from her old bike.

Either way the G650GS will make a first rate adventure tourer and it'll be tough, reliable and very cheap to run on our next adventures.......!

Check out www.f650.co.uk if you want to see pics of our bike.

FP.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:54 AM   #97
JOFadv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
My wife just took delivery of her new G650GS last night from the BMW dealer here in UK, we paided for a factory low model it was not till we got home that she commented that it did not seem as low as hoped having sat on a normal model.
After looking in the details of paperwork noticed that her bike had a centre stand which cannot be fitted to a low model, so out with the tape measure for the seat height yea 780mm instead of 750mm only waited for 3 weeks for the bike to come to the dealer beware of this problem and make sure you check!!!
JOFadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:17 PM   #98
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
Any Totaled ones yet? I want a black swing arm for my dakar.
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:48 AM   #99
Barance
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by lout View Post
standard seat ..It's too low for me.

Looks good! are they the Wolfman racks? any issues in fitting the new model?
Barance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:39 AM   #100
MarkWAau
Do they serve Pinot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lout View Post
standard seat ..It's too low for me.

What tires are you using???
Old 05-03-2011, 10:40 AM   #101
JOFadv
Adventurer

The G650 GS has now gone back to the dealer, the seat height is 780mm we wanted the 750mm we still dont know if the suspension is how they get the bike lower or if its the seat , plus the BMW motorrad dealer dont know either maybe tomorrow after they contact the factory we can explain.
3 WEEKS from the order then another week after delivery and the wife still has not rode the bike or can touch the deck properly.
Just wondered if anyone knows or can explain how you get this bikes seat height at 750mm.

JOFadv screwed with this post 05-03-2011 at 10:47 AM
Old 05-03-2011, 10:57 AM   #102
skipm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOFadv View Post
The G650 GS has now gone back to the dealer, the seat height is 780mm we wanted the 750mm we still dont know if the suspension is how they get the bike lower or if its the seat , plus the BMW motorrad dealer dont know either maybe tomorrow after they contact the factory we can explain.
3 WEEKS from the order then another week after delivery and the wife still has not rode the bike or can touch the deck properly.
Just wondered if anyone knows or can explain how you get this bikes seat height at 750mm.
Interesting, I visited my local dealer Saturday and sat on one in the showroom and I was surprised that with my 29 inch inseam I was able to flat foot it on both sides with the normal suspension sag. I only weigh 180 pounds. I even asked if it had the low seat but was assured it was the standard seat.

It's a sweet looking bike. It seemed like the center of gravity was a bit lower as well but I'm guessing that's because the gas tank is actually under the seat. That would make it easier to move around in the garage. The sales guy kept trying to get me to take demo out for a ride. It took a lot of will power (and the fact I didn't have my checkbook) to say no.

-Skip
skipm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:04 AM   #103
JOFadv
Adventurer

The thing that got us measuring up the bike in the end was that her so called Factory Low bike had a center stand and on the Motorrad web site its says
Main Centre Stand (Not available with Seat Height Reduction)120.00

Its real confusing!!!!
Old 05-03-2011, 10:54 PM   #104
Barance
Adventurer

Quote:
The lower one has different suspension if it is like the previous models . I had a lowered earlier F model.

I am concerned/surprised the dealer didnt know, BMW have made lowered bikes across their whole range for some time, one of the better selling features of the brand. Some are by seat height but many are a factory special and the F650 single was one of them and has been for the last 10 years...

Barance screwed with this post 05-03-2011 at 11:02 PM
Old 05-03-2011, 10:59 PM   #105
Barance
Adventurer

Quote:
The thing that got us measuring up the bike in the end was that her so called Factory Low bike had a center stand and on the Motorrad web site its says
Main Centre Stand (Not available with Seat Height Reduction)120.00

Its real confusing!!!!
On my earlier factory lowered model I had a centre stand, I expect the same lowerrd centre stand is available for the new one as the frame is essentially the same. The centre stand on the lowered one is different though to the std height one. There was a recall of them a few years back as they restricted the lean angle to much but they resolved it by chnaging the sticky out bit (yes I am sure thats a technical term..! :) )

think I saw a thread on the chain gangs site ages ago.

I also had seen in the brochure though they say there isnt a stand avail for the new model.