Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2011, 12:56 PM   #106
misterwhipple
Tragic Lemon Magnet

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipm View Post
It's a sweet looking bike. It seemed like the center of gravity was a bit lower as well but I'm guessing that's because the gas tank is actually under the seat. That would make it easier to move around in the garage. The sales guy kept trying to get me to take demo out for a ride. It took a lot of will power (and the fact I didn't have my checkbook) to say no.
-Skip
The engine's dry-sump design also lowers its weight a bit.

I picked mine up this past Saturday, and I'm really pleased with how compact and nimble it is. Compared to the previous bike, an R1100GS, it's a big change.
misterwhipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:55 PM   #107
izzyblue
LOST

Oddometer: 61
Talking New GS owner!

Howdy Fellas!

I just picked up my spanking new 11' G650GS today, my first Gelände/Straße or dirt/sport capable motorbike.
After struggling to ride my beautiful road bike on gravel in Death Valley recently and then riding a proper dirt bike last weekend, I decided I need a bike that will get me there AND be able to go where the masses don't go.

So far so good, though it's quite a change from my Roadster (not a HD)
Being a proud new owner, I thought I'd post in here, introduce us and just show her off! (plus I really NEED to find some drop protection!)

I'm looking forward to getting her dirty, never washing her, and learning how to utilize the potential we now have to get to remote places I don't really enjoy riding my road bike to.

For now I'll quit babbling, here we are!

-Nancy

izzyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:53 AM   #108
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,470
Dang, complete with TKC80 tires aaaaaaaand you got it all to match your glasses !!!

You'll have fun with that thing. Looks great ( the bike too).
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:21 AM   #109
skipm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Nancy-

Congrats on the new bike! She's a beaut. I might suggest one thing to practice while you are working on your dirt legs and that would be to take it somewhere where you can gently lay it over on it's side and practice picking it up. There's a technique that you want to become familiar with picking up a bike this size and weight in the dirt and it's better to practice it before you have to put it into use.

Here's a video on how: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPjYweKeiLk

-Skip
skipm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:47 AM   #110
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
Dang, complete with TKC80 tires
They look like the Kenda Big Block tires...I think...
Old 05-05-2011, 12:07 PM   #111
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Kenda ?

Would the new owner please verify what tires those happen to be ?

By the way, I commend you for proper riding gear.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:32 PM   #112
JOFadv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
My wifes G650 went back to the dealer on tuesday trying to sort the low seat out to get the bike down to 750mm seat height, heard from them this morning to say they had a new seat shipped from HQ.... but its the same as already on the bike.... darn the bike has now been insured to ride and taxed over a week.
The dealer in our eyes are not doing enough
they should have been on to the BMW tech team right away and got it sorted, so just before close of business today said that if not sorted by this saturday we will get our money back, come on BMW we love your god dam bikes!!!!!!!

JOFadv screwed with this post 05-05-2011 at 12:54 PM
JOFadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:42 PM   #113
izzyblue
LOST

Oddometer: 61
Thanks guys!

Yes, the tires are kenda big blocks. A 150 tire on the 140 wheel works just fine. Time will tell how well they work, it's what the dealer had in stock, and I wasn't going to buy a Gelände/Straße motorbike and have street tires on it! I already have a street bike.

Thanks for the video, great info.... I'm sure it won't be long before I'll put it to use - after I get some hand guards I'll start to wander off road and will soon thereafter use that guidance.

Thanks for the gear comments, I know it's important.
My first dirt outing last week showed me that I need to get proper hard armor dirt riding gear with better ventilation as my fancy street gear is far too hot to ride in the dirt in the SoCal desert. Riding in dirt is a lot of work, boy I was sore!

For now I'm just getting used to the new bike, as it feels much different than my F800R, but I can't wait to get her dirty!

Does anyone know when the touratek crash guards are due to be available?

A bottom plate, and the upper crash bars is what I'm looking at getting, I don't need anything else right? I have BMW hand guards on order.

-Nancy
izzyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:49 PM   #114
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

The BMW 650 motor is impressive. I bought a G650XCo girl's bike last fall and I now ride it more than my 1200GS ! Of course, with all the modifications I've done to it, I have about as much invested in it as my 1200 ! I'm 6-2, by the way.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:25 AM   #115
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Well, how is the new, white G650 doing ? Any scratches yet ?
Old 05-10-2011, 08:15 AM   #116
quickwood
Adventurer

Stopped by BMW dealer

Happened to be within a couple miles of the our local BMW dealer so stopped in to see the new models and 2011's. The closest dealer to us here in the Philly area is over 45 minutes away. In the last decade or so we have had ( to my knowledge ) at least three changes in location of the BMW dealer. Currently, it has become part of a very large metric dealership who had the brand many years ago. For me at least this poses some questions as to whether to go with BMW. I would have to really feel strongly about a bike from Beemer to take the plunge.

On the other hand we have had two KTM dealers in the same locations for many years.

As to the G650 GS it is a very nice looking bike in most respects. The one on the floor was white and black with the black and grey seat. It is equipped with ABS and heated grips. The price came in at just over $8320 as I recall including destination and related dealer charges. This strikes me as an excellent price range for BMW to bring in some sales.

I might have purchased one if I wasn't already riding a 690 SM.

BTW the sticker has it showing 50 hp.

( The F650 GS sitting on the floor was priced at $11,200 + with abs, heated grips and onboard computer. )

Good luck to those inmates who are now riding the new bike!

quickwood screwed with this post 05-10-2011 at 08:38 AM
quickwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:55 AM   #117
Farmer Palmer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOFadv View Post
My wifes G650 went back to the dealer on tuesday trying to sort the low seat out to get the bike down to 750mm seat height, heard from them this morning to say they had a new seat shipped from HQ.... but its the same as already on the bike.... darn the bike has now been insured to ride and taxed over a week.
The dealer in our eyes are not doing enough
they should have been on to the BMW tech team right away and got it sorted, so just before close of business today said that if not sorted by this saturday we will get our money back, come on BMW we love your god dam bikes!!!!!!!
Had the same problem with Mrs P's bike here in Scotland.....!

Sold her 05 F650GS F/L which was fine, Mrs P's only 5ft tall and we ordered a new G650GS F/L

No way was it as low as the 750mm quoted.........!

I backed the preload right off and lifted the forks up through the yokes 1" and it was still taller than her old bike(tippy toes only)

Managed to find some used 2" Koubalinks and now it's fine but with the larger 140 section tyre there's a chance of the rear tyre rubbing on the undertray when the bike has no preload. Screwed it up to 1/3 and it seems ok now.

Wish I had her old seat to see if it was the same as her new 'low' but black and grey one........Our dealer was a bit surprised that the new seat wasn't black.

FP.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:59 AM   #118
jings
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
would that be bmw dalkieth if so the sales team are crap ive had nothing but problems from them
jings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:32 PM   #119
quickwood
Adventurer

One on fleabay now

Hard to believe but a red G650 GS is on fleabay already with 703 miles - bin price is $7995. Bike is in Tennessee.
quickwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:47 PM   #120
skipm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickwood View Post
Hard to believe but a red G650 GS is on fleabay already with 703 miles - bin price is $7995. Bike is in Tennessee.
Is it just me or does that exhaust look to be seriously discolored for a bike with only 700 miles on it?

-Skip
skipm is offline   Reply With Quote