Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2011, 10:13 AM   #121
winningham.2
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I just bought a 2011 G650gs, in red and I absolutely love it as my first motorbike. I do have a question though, my build sheet (see pic) says I have the accessory socket, but I cannot find where that is located on this bike.

Would someone please share a pick of their 2011 G650gs that shows where this accessory socket is located at?

Thank you and advance.

winningham.2 screwed with this post 05-11-2011 at 10:27 AM Reason: re-phrased my question to include the "accessory socket".
winningham.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:03 AM   #122
BMW_G650GS
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I just picked up my '11 G650GS yesterday. Long time rider, but first of this kind of machine. It will go nicely with my KTM 200XCW ;)

BMW_G650GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:43 AM   #123
TGust
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by winningham.2 View Post
I just bought a 2011 G650gs, in red and I absolutely love it as my first motorbike. I do have a question though, my build sheet (see pic) says I have the accessory socket, but I cannot find where that is located on this bike.

Would someone please share a pick of their 2011 G650gs that shows where this accessory socket is located at?

Thank you and advance.
I just bought one of these yesterday, however haven't actually gotten it yet. The salesman told me that it is going to be near your left knee, however I didn't actually look. Hope this helps.
TGust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:16 PM   #124
winningham.2
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGust View Post
I just bought one of these yesterday, however haven't actually gotten it yet. The salesman told me that it is going to be near your left knee, however I didn't actually look. Hope this helps.

Thank you for at least a general location, TGust. I do appreciate it.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:51 PM   #125
Farmer Palmer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by jings View Post
would that be bmw dalkieth if so the sales team are crap ive had nothing but problems from them
I've dealt with both Glasgow and Edinburgh over the years since 2003. Mrs P's bike came from Dalkeith and mine came from Bishopbriggs i've had good service from both.

Can't say i've ever had any problems and Dalkeith is just up the road.

Sorry to hear you've not been so lucky.

FP.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:10 PM   #126
winningham.2
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGust View Post
Thanks again. That accessory socket is hidden in black inside the left knee as predicted.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:26 PM   #127
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzyblue View Post
My first dirt outing last week showed me that I need to get proper hard armor dirt riding gear with better ventilation as my fancy street gear is far too hot to ride in the dirt in the SoCal desert.
-Nancy
Finn has taught you well...

Sent using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2011, 05:01 AM   #128
rockycraig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Wicked

Could current owners tell me how it handles on the highway, any vibration etc, my top speed for me is 65mph(what's the rpm's at that speed) I usually don't go faster than that. Also has anyone taken it in the dirt yet? I usually travel jeep trails in CO and they are moderate in roughness, a few rocks here or there. I'm sure on straight dirt or gravel its fine but what about some rocks???
rockycraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:24 AM   #129
MarkWAau
Do they serve Pinot?

Oddometer: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockycraig View Post
Could current owners tell me how it handles on the highway, any vibration etc, my top speed for me is 65mph(what's the rpm's at that speed) I usually don't go faster than that. Also has anyone taken it in the dirt yet? I usually travel jeep trails in CO and they are moderate in roughness, a few rocks here or there. I'm sure on straight dirt or gravel its fine but what about some rocks???
Want tyres are you running assuming you ride a G650GS
MarkWAau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:58 AM   #130
brian83
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
i'm usually cruising around 4k rpms at 60 mph
brian83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:42 AM   #131
BMW_G650GS
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
About 4K RPM at 60-65 MPH. On the road its a canyon carver, off road with the OE tires its only OK, but not great by any means. You will want tires like Conti TKC 80's and to get into the emulators/spring upgrade (F&R for the springs) if you plan on doing any amount of dirt riding over an occasional side track.
BMW_G650GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:50 AM   #132
TGust
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by winningham.2 View Post
Thanks again. That accessory socket is hidden in black inside the left knee as predicted.
Excellent, now I just need to get mine from the dealer...
TGust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:56 PM   #133
aaronrkelly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipm View Post
Is it just me or does that exhaust look to be seriously discolored for a bike with only 700 miles on it?

-Skip
Nah....mine discolored like that in less than 500 miles....looks just like mine.

Quote:
Its super smooth for a single. Ive ridden a few others, this one is by far the smoothest Ive ever experienced. At 65....no issues. I rode it on the interstate for 2 1/2 hours at 80.....wicking it up a bit to pass occasionally. After a couple hours I started getting a little bit of "buzz hand" going.....but nothing like what I get out of my KLR after 15 mins at even 55mph.

Dirt....gravel roads.....on the OEM tires are fine, not great but fine. Anything past good dirt roads and gravel and you will want better tires. I ride a ton of gravel and packed dirt.....honestly after looking at the stock Tourances I wasn't expecting much......but I was surprised, performs far better than I thought. Instead of getting replaced right away they are going to get used up, then replaced. I can get by with them with the way I ride.

On the rocks....guess you will just have to try it. Maybe see if they will swap them at the dealer and give you credit for the stock ones, they should be worth something.

a quick run to the Black Hills
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...8#post14248448
aaronrkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:20 PM   #134
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronrkelly View Post
Its super smooth for a single. Ive ridden a few others, this one is by far the smoothest Ive ever experienced. At 65....no issues. I rode it on the interstate for 2 1/2 hours at 80.....wicking it up a bit to pass occasionally. After a couple hours I started getting a little bit of "buzz hand" going.....but nothing like what I get out of my KLR after 15 mins at even 55mph..
That's interesting, because one of the few faults on my old 650GS was the teeth-rattling vibes above 70mph.

I keep looking at this revamped 650, especially as one of the UK mags got 84mpg (imperial) out of one. That alone would save me 600 a year purely on commuting, let alone longer trips.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:36 PM   #135
aaronrkelly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev View Post
That's interesting, because one of the few faults on my old 650GS was the teeth-rattling vibes above 70mph.

I keep looking at this revamped 650, especially as one of the UK mags got 84mpg (imperial) out of one. That alone would save me 600 a year purely on commuting, let alone longer trips.

Ive never ridden an older one so I cant comment - might be worth finding a dealer for a test ride.

a quick run to the Black Hills
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...8#post14248448
aaronrkelly is offline   Reply With Quote