User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 07:00 AM   #1
Grreatdog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,598
Offroad Competition ABS

Offroad ABS apparently works well on big adventure bikes and makes sense there. After all, stopping a 100+hp, 500+ pound bike that costs as much as an economy car on sketchy surfaces probably has a pretty high pucker factor. So offroad ABS makes as much sense to me as riding bikes like that offroad in the first place. If that is your thing it is cool with me but it must be pretty intense. Meaning a little electronic wizardry is probably a good thing in that world.

Then along comes the current Cycle World with a piece that really surprised me because it is talking about moving into our world. In an interview with the KTM head of R&D they are discussing offroad ABS for competition bikes. Competition bikes as in thumpers like MX and enduro race bikes not dual sports and smaller adventure bikes. As in maybe this technology is now working well enough to not just be less annoying offroad but to actually providing a competitive advantage there.

First he says: When it is introduced it will be through the sport (racing) department. Using "when" rather than "if" is interesting enough. It sounds like they are pretty confident in their technology now. Then in the next sentence he says: "One of our motocross teams is testing it already". That one really blew me away. Especially discussing making it work off jumps. Starting with MX bikes is really interesting to me because it says we can make this work. I can hardly believe ABS has progressed that far that fast.

So, let me be the first to welcome our new overlords.

Grreatdog screwed with this post Today at 07:09 AM
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote