ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 04:53 PM   #16
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettr View Post
Wooohooo... just found out that G'ma wants the boy for a week in June.. The wife and I have 8 days to ride the whole thing, and she's stoked to see all the eastern stuff.

I was planning the big bike route only for her, but I'm not sure what I'm gonna ride. Husky 610 or the KTM990R.... hmm... I don't wanna do the go-arounds. Most of them don't appear to be that long.... and it gives my wife a chance to dawdle and me a chance to ride my pace. I know the KTM will be a handful, but.... Cannon?
Take the 990. You can always hand pick go-arounds if you don't like something. Or take them both, ride the TE east and the 990 west switching halfway through.
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:02 PM   #17
gettr
Team Turtle

Oddometer: 686
Cannon,

Planning this ride in June.... all the planning is going on now! Thinking of starting in Manitowish Waters WI, then riding clockwise to Copper Harbor.. etc. I have 9 days to ride it all..... and I'm planning 2 down days (TBD by gettrette... probably Grand Marais and Copper Harbor). I'll send you the final plans...

Thanks again for all your work on these tracks... I know with you, it's a labor of love...
gettr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:33 PM   #18
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettr View Post
Cannon,

Planning this ride in June.... all the planning is going on now! Thinking of starting in Manitowish Waters WI, then riding clockwise to Copper Harbor.. etc. I have 9 days to ride it all..... and I'm planning 2 down days (TBD by gettrette... probably Grand Marais and Copper Harbor). I'll send you the final plans...

Thanks again for all your work on these tracks... I know with you, it's a labor of love...

Sounds like you have a great trip planned. Plenty of time to relax and look around while minimizing the hardships on the missus. You might run into some others on the trail during that time as well.
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:24 PM   #19
RozzyCat
Bleeds orange

Oddometer: 439
UPAT - Good stuff!

After a weekend of singletracking at Tomohawk (Wolverine) - I set off on the UPAT solo. Crossing the bridge was a bit hairy. Due to construction - I had to ride on the metal grate for quite a distance. Yikes!

Once in the UP I was a little bored at first by a few roads with one turn every 5 miles. But that didn't last long and was well worth the wait!

The ride had everything sand, road, woods, sand, scenery, sand, lighthouses. Did I mention sand? This was the first time I've ridden my 990 on sand and did I learn a lot. Gas it and lean back.

Since I only had limited time I cut the loop in half at Gwinn and made it back to Wolverine in one (long) day. Loaded up the trailer and headed back south to home in Indiana.

Thanks Cannonshot! The route information was flawless. And yeah - you warned me about the saaaaand.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:25 PM   #20
gettr
Team Turtle

Oddometer: 686
Starting tomorrow.... Marenisco to Copper Harbor!
gettr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:22 AM   #21
oldmanron
Skeptical Otimist

Oddometer: 33
Just got back from doing the eastern half in a CCW direction. Started in St. Ignace. First day was just over 200 miles to travel from St. Ignace to Munising. Second day was about 190 miles from Munising to Manistique, and the third day was about 130 miles from Manistique back to St. Ignace. It was a great ride. As usual in the UP, the weather was all over the map: on day one we went from 85 degrees to 45 in about 2 hours as a big cold front and some violent storms rolled in off Lake Superior. Lucky we happened to be at Rainbow Lodge when it hit, and were able to take shelter there. After the storm passed we rode on to Grand Maris where we gassed up. While we were getting gas and taking a break it went form sunny and 70 to a cold foggy mist and 45 in about 15 minutes! H58 to Munising is a beautiful ride when you can see it! We were all frozen by the time we got to Munising, and got a room at the Days Inn because they have a sauna and a hot tub to warm up in. The section from Munising to Gwinn the next day was probably the most interesting of the ride. Very diverse terrain, lots of water crossings, and history lessons along the way. Gwinn to Manistique is pretty farm land,a nd a very easy ride once you get past some sandy stuff just outside of Gwinn. Great ride. Thanks for the Tracks! RR over at drriders.com: http://drriders.com/topic1532.html

oldmanron screwed with this post 06-13-2011 at 12:19 PM
oldmanron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:38 PM   #22
tige
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Graywolf and I leave on Saturday (8/6/11) for this trip. Can't wait to get on the bike and take off for 9 days with nothing to think about but riding.

Thanks for the route Cannonshot!

Tige
tige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:05 PM   #23
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,308
I can't say enough about these routes. Thinking back, some of my most memorable riding has been following Bryan around on and off parts of this upper peninsula adventure trail. If you want a great vacation, get off the beaten track and follow these routes.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:07 AM   #24
tige
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Graywolf and did all but track 2 this past week. Everything was great, except I wasn't prepared for how much sand there would be. It was definitely a weak point in my riding skillset.

Thanks for providing a great route set that was easy to follow and obstacle free.

Tige
tige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #25
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

I can post GPX to ADV again so here is the file.

Downloaded 877 times from this site: http://dco43054.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20

Both DS and big bike go-arounds.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx UPAT Both.gpx (584.8 KB, 42 views)
Old 03-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #26
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

DS only.

Downloaded 687 times from this site: http://dco43054.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20
Attached Files
File Type: gpx UPAT DS.gpx (536.2 KB, 32 views)
Old 03-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #27
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

UPAT big bike only.

Downloaded 739 times from this site: http://dco43054.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20
Attached Files
File Type: gpx UP BB Only.gpx (463.9 KB, 35 views)
Old 03-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #28
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

UPAT 4WD version.

Downloaded 164 times from this site: http://dco43054.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20
Attached Files
File Type: gpx UPAT 4WD Version.gpx (507.2 KB, 41 views)
Old 04-17-2013, 06:35 AM   #29
Keithert
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 628
What is the 4x4 route like? How challenging are the trickier sections? Is a lifted truck needed or would a stock Wrangler with decent offroad (Goodyear Duratracs) tires be okay?
Keithert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:15 AM   #30
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithert View Post
What is the 4x4 route like? How challenging are the trickier sections? Is a lifted truck needed or would a stock Wrangler with decent offroad (Goodyear Duratracs) tires be okay?
Stock Wrangler with tires would probably be fine.