Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2010, 07:47 AM   #31
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
What h9r says is interesting, but...Michelin recommends their Pilot Road 2 for the ST1300 which also has a 72 load rating. Hmmm....

How about calling Cooper (owner of Avon) and asking to speak with a motorcycle tire engineer. Don't mention the tire failure and the crash. Ask about the tire you used on the ST1300, and see what he says. Try to find out why Avon does not list a tire for your bike. If you get any information, please let us all know.

Avon USA....1 800 624 7470
Cooper.....419-423-1321
PT Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:51 AM   #32
ravenranger OP
rave

Oddometer: 1,516
Avon has been giving different information to different people and it seems dependent on what rep you happen to get as to whether or not they "recommend" the tire. That, in itself is problematic.

Tire was mounted in the correct rotation and that was verified by myself, two folks at Cycle Gear and again by the dealer in Roswell who currently has the bike.

I don't recall the exact date codes but they were this year.

The day was not hot - max temps in the 70's - good thing or I'd not have been wearing my riding pants and would definitely be hamburger.

BTW, the ORIGINAL STORMS were AWESOME tires. The Ultra II's are a completely different animal.

As far as multiple issues goes, it seems a number of folks are coming out of the woodwork with similar "strange" tread cuts that they'd assumed were road hazards even though they hadn't run over anything and could find no road hazard evidence. So far, it seems like the "magic" number on the ones with tread issues is somewhere between 2-3K miles.

My choice to go for the median is directly related to my experience of being involved, a little over a year ago, in the search for the goldwing rider (Donald Masters) who went missing in Montana/Idaho and wasn't found for 20 days. I very much expected to either not survive or be badly, badly injured and wanted my body found sooner rather than later.

ravenranger screwed with this post 11-15-2010 at 10:18 AM
ravenranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:11 PM   #33
A.J.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
You need to speak to a GOOD lawyer today! And BEFORE you accept any sort of settlement with your insurance company. They are not on your side!
Old 11-15-2010, 12:30 PM   #34
A.J.
Gnarly Adventurer

Googled tire delamination and found this guy.
http://www.jamsadr.com/professionals...bf41b8&ajax=no
Old 11-15-2010, 01:32 PM   #35
ravenranger OP
rave

Oddometer: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J.
Googled tire delamination and found this guy.
http://www.jamsadr.com/professionals...bf41b8&ajax=no
Wow, thanks - definitely will check this guy out!
ravenranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:04 PM   #36
A.J.
Gnarly Adventurer

No problem, anything for a fellow adv'er. It looks like you have been doing a good job of documenting everything, keep it up. Names, dates, pictures, etc. That stuff can make or break a case. Don't procrastinate. Let me know what you find out when you talk to someone and be careful what youwrite on here pertaining to your case as anything and everything can be used against you.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:17 PM   #37
A.J.
Gnarly Adventurer

http://www.trantololaw.com/liability.php
These are the guys I would deal with locally near me. They are awesome for motorcycle cases, they actually ride. You could contact them and see what they recommend or find someone near you.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:43 PM   #38
JPSpen
At Large

Oddometer: 1,185
Let me tell you, You're lucky to be alive...

I had a valve stem fail on my R1200CLC...Instant flat at 80 indicated on the interstate......

A wild ride ending in a lowside off the road and a final high side..

Wife and I had only minor injuries...We were thrown about ten feet in the final high side.. Bike had only just a skid mark on the right side bag and the bottom of the cat...

If they're had been anything to hit.... It would be all over...

This looks like a bad tire failure... The kind lawyers live for...

Motorcycle tires shouldn't do this because when they do, Folks get killed..

I'd definately see what the insurance company is going to do, Then I would at least get the opinion of a good lawyer..

Good Luck

John
I like the wind in my face and Boobies too !!..
JPSpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:46 PM   #39
PartyOfOne
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
I do remember making the choice to ride it out. I also remember thinking, "Well, this is it - at least it's a beautiful place." I also remember consciously choosing to land in the median instead of the embankment or ditch b/c I figured my dead body would be found sooner. I don't remember flipping but I was aware of tumbling and thinking I should ball up as much as possible. I also was aware of changing from tumbling to sliding. Near the end of the sliding I was aware of my left glove sliding off and thinking my hand wouldn't be too badly scraped because I wasn't going nearly so fast as I had been.
That's deep. I'm glad you're ok.

If the "born on" date of the tire is recent, I would seek an attorney. Hope everything turns out well for you. Best of luck.
PartyOfOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:10 PM   #40
mitch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,317
Thumb

WOW you were very lucky. Glad to see that there was so little damage to you like the rest I think its time to seek Legal advice.
06 GSA . SE. will try to stay away from pickups.
Well it was a car this time #L/tib & fib in the same place as the previous F wit crushed it
Ducati making mechanics out of riders for 50 years
mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:12 AM   #41
midengineracer
Lost, with a GPS

Oddometer: 1,285
RR, I am sure you have seen the Law Tigers ads, bike-riding lawyers (per the commercials and cards at some of the local shops). Just another piece to think about (if that isn't who you talked to already).

As far as the blowout/puncture the other guy is talking about, it isn't a puncture (that massive would have been noticed before you hit it) and when the tire delaminates, it looses a lot of it's strength and would... blow out. Let some pros in to investigate it.

I was also going to mention that it is about the same weight rating used on the big BMW's. His weight calcs are way off. You would be pretty hard pressed to get 700lbs on the rear wheel by yourself and I know you weren't sitting on the pillion seat
2010 H-D XR1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685
The best accessory for a KLR is another bike for riding offroad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin
I need to start riding my bicycle more so I can justify a cool new one.

midengineracer screwed with this post 11-18-2010 at 07:34 PM
midengineracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:58 PM   #42
A.J.
Gnarly Adventurer

What did the lawyer say?
Old 11-19-2010, 11:34 AM   #43
me109g4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Nice piece of riding there,, glad you are ok.
me109g4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:25 PM   #44
IKIGAI
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenranger
Don't know yet - a lot depends on the insurance company and I haven't gotten a final word from them yet. They only went out to look at it yesterday!

You're right, though, it doesn't look as bad as it might but when you start adding things up......just the rear panniers are about $2K each. Every bit of plastic either has some broken tabs or scrapes (about another $2K). The tank is dented ($600). The handle bars are toast (so who knows how the forks faired). The major electronics (ECU, etc) were in the tail piece and got shredded by the tire (looking at another $1-2K there). Rear rim is toast and don't know if the transmission was affected by the final lock-up or not. So, it definitely starts adding up.

However, if you're interested in a wicked street-fighter, let me know and I'll give you first dibs on salvage.....

With that list of damage, I would expect the bike to be a 'total loss'.

I had an '03 ST1300 and was rear-ended at a red light in Monterrey CA (by another bike!) and collected most of the plastic pieces and luggage bits, duct taped them back in place and rode the bike for another 12 days back to Vancouver.

When the dealer was done with the R&R, the total bill came to just over $8200 CDN. The bike was already 4 years old with about 44000km on it, and it was borderline whether or not the insurance company was going to write it off. They ended up fixing it, because like a fool, I had it insured for too high a value. If I would have kept the replacement value low, I would have got a total payout instead.

When the rear wheel was replaced, I had the dealer install a set of Avon Storms on the bike. They were a pretty good tire, didn't wear as well as the BTO's, but good in the wet and handled nicely.

I've been riding for over 32 years now, and have never seen a tire do that -- If it were me, I would consider it a faulty tire, find legal counsel, have it documented on the accident report and start chasing Avon.
IKIGAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:25 PM   #45
Brooklyn Rob
Do'h!

Oddometer: 472
Remember about ten years ago the dunlops on valkyries were also delaminating and of course honda wouldn't acknowledge any of it. l think they tried to blame all of the riders whose tires basically disintigrated-
too much air, not enough air, overloaded, underloaded, red bike, blue bike, etc.
You get the idea.

Oh, and tomorrow l'm picking up my new goldwing! (Seriously.)

l hope they straightened that tire thing out.

Wait, according to honda, there was no tire thing.
So l should be ok.
Brooklyn Rob is offline   Reply With Quote