Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2010, 11:34 AM   #46
ravenranger OP
rave

Oddometer: 1,516
I spoke with an attorney friend I trust who checked around for a liability attorney for me and basically said that it was too bad I didn't die or get paralyzed. If I had, I'd have a hella lawsuit for big money but since I'm not dead, it will be tough finding someone to go after the tire company for the bike loss.....

Meanwhile, I spent yesterday in Roswell at Champion Motorsports and am still shocked at the force of the crash writ large on my smashed bike. The guys at the shop were just amazed that anyone could have survived it, as am I. It was both good and difficult to be there but I was able to thank them in person for being so righteous with someone they didn't know.

If you're ever in Roswell, NM - Champion is tops!
ravenranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:08 PM   #47
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,163
That seems reasonable advice. It may still be worth asking Avon to cover the cost of your bike and such (particularly if you don't carry comprehensive insurance). If it was insured and insurance paid out, there may be a subrogation clause that would give the insurer the right to recoup whatever they paid out from any liable parties - I don't know of course, but its not uncommon.

The value of the bike isn't close to enough to pay for much litigation - I've been a lawyer for almost a month and I think (don't actually know ) I cost somewhere well north of $200/hr. Product defect cases tend to be brought when either someone gets hurt or there are enough claims that they can be aggregated and the cost of litigation spread across many claims (most commonly through a class action, though there are other means often used to achieve similar results as well).

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:02 PM   #48
russbryant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,022
Raven,

Thanks for the link to this post as I never really found out the details of your crash. So glad you were not seriously hurt. It's a bit weird for me that my faceplant (not tire related) here in Vermont was on the same day as this thread started 11/13/10

I was doing half your speed and...well, you saw my broken bone count. I'm not sure how high in the air I got but I hit the pavement about 30 feet from impact from what I was told. I had plenty of air time to think "this is really going to hurt".

I also made a decision to wear my First Gear overpants that day for the extra warmth. They have padding and my wife said they don't have a mark on 'em.

Stay well and I'll see you when I get back to Tucson.

Russ
russbryant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:31 PM   #49
Draechon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,112
Ravenranger, I've been subscribed to this thread since I saw the first post, but never heard the outcome. Has it been settled and are you able to share?

Draechon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:32 AM   #50
midengineracer
Lost, with a GPS

Oddometer: 1,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draechon View Post
Ravenranger, I've been subscribed to this thread since I saw the first post, but never heard the outcome. Has it been settled and are you able to share?
Ditto. I haven't heard from you at all in a while.
2010 H-D XR1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685
The best accessory for a KLR is another bike for riding offroad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin
I need to start riding my bicycle more so I can justify a cool new one.
midengineracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #51
ravenranger OP
rave

Reviving an old thread but....

I've been contacted by NHTSA and asked for more info on my Storm 2 delamination. I've forwarded my info to them.

They asked me to ask those of you that have had issues with the Avon Storm 2's to do the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHTSA representative
The most helpful thing the other owners could do would be to log a complaint with the Office of Defect Investigation by going to the form on the Agency’s website http://safercar.gov, specifically https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/online.cfm.

The tire won’t show up in the dropdown menus so each person should put all the tire information, size, model, and TIN (all as they appear on the sidewall) in the text of the complaint description.

If each person did this it would give us our batch of data we need to proceed.
So, if you still have your old tires or you have the information from the tires, please take a few minutes and share that info with NHTSA. Also, feel free to cross-post the call for info on any other motorcycle forums you may be on.

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #52
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C.F.RIDER View Post
A few years ago I had an Avon that had the carcass start coming apart! It was on the ZX11 that I still have and I knew there was something MAJOR going on with the tire. I called Avon and told some clown what was going on and he told me..."these are race tires and you may not be used to the way the feel." I told him that I had had "race" tires before and they don't "feel" any different than any other tire. He told me that I really don't know very much about tires; I told him to put one of his "higher ups" on the phone. He said they were all kind of too busy to waste time talking to a relative novice! I asked him his name, he asked why? I told him that he's be the first name on the lawsuit!
I had a "higher up" on the line in about 1 minute. I described in detail what the bike was doing wrong and what I thought the problem was with the tire, he told me that I was 100% on the money and to NOT RIDE THE BIKE EVEN 1 MORE MILE. He asked me to take the tires off and send them back to Avon and they would be sending me a new set of tires. I got the new set........................and sold them to someone else. They didn't have any problems with them.
Since then, I've had a set of bias ply Avon's on my MV with no problems. Now it's got Pirelli's! And I had a couple of sets of Avon Pro-Extreem Rains on my ATK SM that I was racing back in the day. No problems, worked greater than great, and I won LOTS of races with 'em.

Avon's on anything now?
Nope.

Chris
Yup!
Put a set of Azaro ST's on the 1000 Interceptor

(with some trepidation), and I have to say, I like 'em....................a lot. I guess I'll see what more miles brings. I hope no nasty surprises.

Chris
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:10 PM   #53
nwdub
Banned

Oddometer: 1,097
ok i'll send them my stuff.

had a storm II ultra (av56) on the rear of my FZR600

had a weird tread splice thing. like their blocks of tread are split into sections and one of the sections started coming off within 500 miles of having the tire.

it was such a fucking hassle trying to deal with avon (I didn't have the money for another $200 tire to front until they gave me a refund months later) so I sold the bike to a buddy and let him deal with it (he was fully aware of the issue)
nwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #54
conwaykram
Mark Conway AR

Oddometer: 18
Avon AV56 Storm 2 Ultra

Any new info on these Avon AV56 Storm 2 Ultra tires?

I have heard good info on these and have had no problems with my Azaros or Storms. About to buy new tires for by R1100 RT and looking at
Avon AV56 Storm 2 Ultra
conwaykram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:13 AM   #55
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C.F.RIDER View Post
Yup!
Put a set of Azaro ST's on the 1000 Interceptor

(with some trepidation), and I have to say, I like 'em....................a lot. I guess I'll see what more miles brings. I hope no nasty surprises.

Chris
UPDATE:
I put over 5000 miles on the Azaro's, and they worked great! They are just about worn out now and I'm going to try a set of Pirelli Sport Demon's on the big Interceptor. Not because I haven't liked the Avon's, but because I have them on the MV, I like 'em, and I always like to try different tires. But, if the Pirelli's weren't in stock I would of got the Avon's again in a heartbeat.

Chris
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:27 AM   #56
freecat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Storm II Ultra failure

I just had a Storm II Ultra fail yesterday:

The bike is a '93 Suzuki VX800. I was riding locally (read no luggage). Wet weight of that bike is about ~510 lbs, so much lighter than the ST1300s and FJRs experiencing failures.

The blow out itself was without drama. The rear end of the bike just started to wiggle, but I was able to slow down and come to a stop. If you've experienced head shake, that's far scarier than what I experienced.

My pet theory is that the Storm II Ultra (you see no such reports on the original Storm or its predecessor, the Azaro) is for some reason very susceptible to road hazard damage. Specifically, it's prone to cuts that then make the tire bubble up slightly (I was experiencing a bumpy ride yesterday and kept playing with the shock clickers to deal with it). Then the tire either pops or pops and then peels.

Searching around, I've not seen any such issues with the front tire.

Whatever, I won't run that tire again. However it's my belief that this is not a problem across Avon's range, but is specific to the Storm II Ultra. It's a shame, because the VX is very limited in tire choices.

BTW my betrothed roadside assistant loaded the kids in the minivan and picked me up, after which I came home, pulled the rear wheel off of my other VX (which has a new Azaro mounted), drove back to where the bike was sitting, swapped the wheel out, and rode home.
freecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:07 PM   #57
SilentRay
Rebuilt

Oddometer: 544
Rehashing an old post. Just had a blowout on a Avon Storm that only had 450 miles on it. Doing speed limit of 65 on I 40. 98 ST1100. Ring two up with luggage.

Managed to coast to a stop. Got towed to Honda shop and new (different) tire going on tomorrow so we can get back home.

Pics n more info tomorrow.

It only hurts if you live.
SilentRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:12 PM   #58
SilentRay
Rebuilt

"Riding" two up

Old 04-13-2014, 09:03 PM   #59
ravenranger OP
rave

@SilentRay
Really sorry to hear you had a bad Storm experience but glad it was not quite as dramatic as it could have been.

Definitely post pictures when you get the chance and go to the NHTSA website and file a report.
(http://safercar.gov, specifically https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/online.cfm)

Thanks
Old 04-14-2014, 02:01 AM   #60
SilentRay
Rebuilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenranger View Post
@SilentRay
Really sorry to hear you had a bad Storm experience but glad it was not quite as dramatic as it could have been.

Definitely post pictures when you get the chance and go to the NHTSA website and file a report.
(http://safercar.gov, specifically https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/online.cfm)

Thanks
Will do. Been awake since 4. Cant sleep thinking about what could have happened. Gonna try not to dwell on that.
Thanks