User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2015, 07:22 AM   #1
revitup OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Norther Ontario, James Bay/Arctic Ocean, May 7

The boys are back in town. We are planning an Early Spring adventure ride as we just can't wait for the next one, I think , this one (see link below) will be scheduled for sometime in August.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=991903&page=5

This Early Spring ride will be in two consecutive parts. Part 1, Northern Ontario and Part 2 James Bay to the Arctic Ocean. For this ride we are hoping that we'll beet the black flies in Ontario and that it will be to windy and cold for them heading into James Bay.

Part 1, Northern Ontario, 3-4 Days

Nothing is carved in stone, but the main spin will be, fire roads, logging rods and double tracks in the vicinity of; Sudbury, Abitibi Canyon, Foleyet and Smooth Rock Falls.

Part 2, James Bay, Arctic Ocean, 3-4 Days

There is a great deal of info for this ride, see links below. Make sure you check-out the complete James Bay Road web site. If possible we would like to take some side trails up to the base of the microwave towers and stick to the gravel/logging roads where possible with camping right on the ocean.

James Bay Road

http://www.jamesbayroad.com/jbr/index.html

Virtual Tour

Make sure you check out these pics at Klms 6, 135, 232 and 257

http://www.jamesbayroad.com/jbr/virt...ualtour01.html

Chisasibi, Longue Pointe and LG-1

http://www.jamesbayroad.com/chisasibi/index.html

If we want, we can register for tours of the power stations of Rober Bourassa and LG-1.

All inputs, suggestions, recommendations and additional gnarly adventure riders are welcome.

So far we have two confirmed riders: Revitup and JH321.

Both routes are still in the planning/development stages. JH321 should have the "final draft" posted around the end of April.

revitup screwed with this post 04-01-2015 at 11:05 AM
revitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:56 AM   #2
Jh321
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I will be leaving Traverse City, MI on May 5th and heading north to Sault St Marie. From there I have created a GPS track of almost all logging roads to get to Timmins (and a large loop to get back to Sault via Wawa or other routes). This will probably be the most fun offroad riding of the trip. I will meet Rod (revitup) in Timmins on the 7th. He will be coming from the Toronto area. From there we plan to spend about 2-4 days riding around the Timmins area and then making our way East towards the James Bay road. This will most likely be done via Chochrane, to 652, to 810, and over to 109 (or fun logging roads that do the same thing). I have not mapped this because the map I have downloaded isn't showing up that part between quebec and ontario (anyone have a Ibycus Canada topo map download for mac? Having a hell of a time getting it to work).

From there we will make our way up the James Bay road and stopping to camp at the campsites on the road. There are numerous gravel trails off the sides of the road to get to radio towers, "mountains" (hills), and other sites. At the end of the James Bay road we will make it to Chisasibi. This is a part of the Arctic Ocean and you will be able to say that you and your bike have touched the Arctic Ocean. That's what really got me excited...

So, for anyone looking to join then please do! We will be on an F800gs and a 1200gsa. Ideally, someone will ride from Sault with me and Toronto with Rod. On the other hand, someone could ride from Montreal and another Alabama. It doesn't really matter as long as we meet up at some point.

Here is my current track of getting to Timmins. I put this together quickly from tidying up my old file I made and got slap-happy making trails everywhere. The pink is the fastest way by solely going on the highway. I put this there for reference. The blue trails are all logging roads that have been referenced on google maps to confirm the quality, how rideable they appear, and that any bridges are real bridges across water. A few parts I had to use the track pen and not the route planner because the "road" was a bushy trail that wasn't recognized. There are short, medium, and long tracks for some parts as you can see. They all end at gas stations. If we hate the logging road then we can go back to the highway. If the route is blocked by a river then we can try the medium one etc etc. Minimal time is spent on the highway. The only time is 30 miles from Sault to the start of the blue on ON556. That starts and goes for 100 miles on logging roads to Chapleau. From Sault to Chapleau is ~130 miles using the blue route+pink start. From Chapleau, ON101 is taken shortly to the start of the blue trail again. There is a short and medium length one here. Both end in Foleyet for gas. Note: foleyet only has regular gas (I have been told). From Foleyet there is the blue track that runs to Timmins on what appears to be a very fun and open logging road. Are you as excited as I am yet?\

Note: the pink route on the highway is 262 miles for reference. The total of the blue routes is 300 miles
Attached Images

Jh321 screwed with this post 04-01-2015 at 09:55 AM
Jh321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:07 AM   #3
revitup OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSilverFox View Post
Are you going to do one trip or 3 separate ones?
Back to Inuvik, James Bay, and Northern Ontario.
Hey great to hear from you. Do you think you can make it?

The above ride will be one trip about 8-10 days, who knows? Should be one hell of a ride. I can hardly wait.

Now about Inuvik, we did that last year. How about Dead Horse/Purdue Bay? or ...... There is also going to be something similar, now being planned for August. But I'm game for what ever you have in mind.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:40 PM   #4
bwokentoof
Pollyanna Man

Oddometer: 359
Nice!

Wish I could join you kids. Just got back a few weeks ago from the west side. Looks like there'll still be ice (albeit broken up) while you're up there so a west wind is gonna make it right chilly, but it sounds like you're geared up right. Thumbs up to the trip and tell George at the plant gate house I said hi!

Tooth.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:42 PM   #5
ravinerat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
What's the dates for the Northern Ont trip or Part 1?
When we did the James Bay trip last May there was no dipping the tires as the Bay was still frozen and they were riding snowmobiles still.
Here is my RR.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post26490150

RR

ravinerat screwed with this post 04-01-2015 at 04:52 PM
ravinerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:21 PM   #6
Jh321
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravinerat View Post
When we did the James Bay trip last May there was no dipping the tires as the Bay was still frozen and they were riding snowmobiles still.
Here is my RR.

RR
Don't know how I missed your RR. That's a good bit of knowledge for our dates. I will leave Sault on the 5th of May, be in Timmins by the 6th or 7th. And then we will ride the Northern Ontario part from about the 7th-10th or 11th
Old 04-02-2015, 03:53 AM   #7
ravinerat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
I don't think the snow will be all gone in Northern Ont to get into the bush roads let alone the Canyon that early. They are still snowmobiling up there and got dumped on two days ago. Cochrane is still grooming the trails I believe. I just found out my route South of Algonquin Park is still choked with snow.

RR
Old 04-02-2015, 04:07 AM   #8
1bigrn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
muddy?

I would be concerned that even if the roads are without snow they will be very muddy with some hard riding. Especially with a full loaded rig.
last spring I was in the Sudbury area and I had to turn around on roads because the xr650r was getting stuck. Good luck. I hope I'm wrong.
“You can spend minutes, hours, days, weeks, or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened... or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the fuck on.”
1bigrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:10 AM   #9
revitup OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravinerat View Post
Here is my RR.

RR
Hey, great ride report, nice job, loved the pics. Well at least you missed the black flies, better ice and snow than those dam things, and as you said "time waits for no one" so why wait for spring do it now.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:57 AM   #10
PS-RagE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 651
We still had snow in the bush on the 16th last year. Those roads are going to be pretty soupy for big bikes this early in the season.

Our snowmobile trails were just groomed again yesterday, BTW.

2007 Beta REV3 270
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
PS-RagE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:13 PM   #11
Jh321
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS-RagE View Post
We still had snow in the bush on the 16th last year. Those roads are going to be pretty soupy for big bikes this early in the season.

Our snowmobile trails were just groomed again yesterday, BTW.
I figured there would still be snow in shady parts or a lot of mud/water. Well hey, that adds to the fun and if we can't make it then we can travel along roads. James Bay should be good to get to because that is mostly real road.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:45 PM   #12
alongat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,246
Definitely interested in part 1 - just need to know where you'll be gathering to leave to it from so I can figure out getting there and avoiding slabbing it as much as possible. For part 1, you thinking camping or motels, etc?
And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:20 AM   #13
revitup OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alongat View Post
Definitely interested in part 1 - just need to know where you'll be gathering to leave to it from so I can figure out getting there and avoiding slabbing it as much as possible. For part 1, you thinking camping or motels, etc?
So far I'm the only one leaving from the Toronto area, actually Burlington.
I was sorta thinking (if it's just myself) of taking 400/69 to Sudbury and then 144 or who knows depending on what the side roads are like. It's about 750 klms (I'm on a yellow 1200 GSA), leave here 8am and arrive 6ish. (depends on traffic)

Where will you be comming from and what do you ride? We could ride and meet anywhere you wish.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:24 AM   #14
alongat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,246
I'm right in Toronto - Bathurst and Eglinton area and depending on the types of roads / tracks planned, I would be looking at riding either my "adventurized" KTM 530 dual sport or my big KTM 1190 adventure but if the plan is to ride more rugged, off road trails and roads once up there, I'd rather take the little bike. If everyone going on this trip is riding big bikes and the riding is going to be pavement and some gravel / light offroad then the big bike makes sense. I could potentially have at least two other guys interested as well - one a big ktm and one on a small one. Happy to meet and ride up together if we can plan it.
And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:01 AM   #15
revitup OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alongat View Post
I'm right in Toronto - Bathurst and Eglinton area and depending on the types of roads / tracks planned, I would be looking at riding either my "adventurized" KTM 530 dual sport or my big KTM 1190 adventure but if the plan is to ride more rugged, off road trails and roads once up there, I'd rather take the little bike. If everyone going on this trip is riding big bikes and the riding is going to be pavement and some gravel / light offroad then the big bike makes sense. I could potentially have at least two other guys interested as well - one a big ktm and one on a small one. Happy to meet and ride up together if we can plan it.
I think for this time of year, where we are headed and the bikes so far going (800GS and 1200 GSA) the 1190A will be better suited for the gravel/slab. IMHO the trails (double tracks) will be still snow covered/icy/muddy and would not make for a good ride over several days. Come August (see other thread) the 530 might be a better option then.

Yeh, we can meet anywhere. Let's keep our options open and firm up things in a couple of weeks.