User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2014, 11:44 PM   #1
cycletlh OP
Slower than yesterday!

Oddometer: 108
To Calgary then ? Route Advice

So the wife and I are heading out next Tuesday Aug 19th for about 6 days. She on her fully farkeled Victory Vision Tour (not sure you can call all the stuff on her bike farkles) and me on my Buell Ulysses that I call Mad Max. Motorcycling is an individual sport and we can all ride what we want.

Our route goes from Spokane Washington through Glacier National Park in Montana then north via the 6 and 40 to Calgary. From Calgary we plan to head north and are looking for the best (most scenic) route west.

Should we go west over the David Thompson Hwy 11 or head further north towards Edmonton and west via the Yellowhead Hwy 16? We have seen Jasper and the Ice Fields before and may venture that way again. Will ultimately end up going to Revelstoke then south through Nakusp as we like to visit both places once a year.

Any other recommendations are appreciated. Thanks!
cycletlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 05:09 AM   #2
Freakhead
Burly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Routes heading west out of Alberta are limited especially if you have done ice fields. Yellowhead is as dull as dishwater until you reach Jasper.

There is 1, the transcanada. Easy ride with some scenic sections but is a busy highway.

If you want new roads, take 22 ( cowboy trail ) north out of Calgary and wind your way up to 11. 22 goes through beautiful farm land, at least in my opinion. When you get to 11, even though it takes you to the ice fields parkway again, I would definitely take it west. It is a gorgeous drive, especially along Abraham Lake and Mount Michener. One of my favourite roads to be certain.

When you reach Saskatchewan Crossing swing north and ride the best part of the ice field parkway. This will connect you to 16 heading west right where it turns scenic ( again the ride east to Edmonton on 16 zzzzzz)

From there I will leave it to BC inmates to give best rides to Nakusp.

It's not WHAT you ride, it's THAT you ride.

Safe travels.
Freakhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:05 AM   #3
cycletlh OP
Slower than yesterday!

Thanks Freakhead, that was exactly the information that I was looking for. Will probably turn north and ride part of the Ice Fields again as we have no problems covering the same ground twice or in this case going north then turning back around and heading south. The last time we were in the area we were putting on quite a few miles in a day. Going to slow things down a bit on this trip.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:42 PM   #4
cdn_wolf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Hello

I read that your wife has a Victory Vision. My complement.on her fine taste. You should be warned that the Highway 40 from Coleman (Crowsnest Pass) is a gravel Forestry Trunk Road.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=996186
You'll see more dirt and dual sport motorcycles on it than street bikes. When Dry it's not too bad. Easier to avoid pot holes. When wet, can be,,,,fun. On a Strom, probably not so much on Victory. If your coming North thru Chief Mountain border crossing, 5 vehicles is a long line up The hours are more restricted, 8am-6pm if I remember correctly.If you wish to avoid the gravel, I would suggest Taking Highway 6 through Pincher Creek to the Crowsnest Highway 3 then west onto the Cowboy Trail, Highway 22. Less than 5 minutes pass this junction is the village of Frank. About 100 years ago about a quarter of the mountain came down and leveled the town. It is a sight that left my teenage son speechless when I took him there the first time. Its worth spending an hour there to walk about the fallen mountain. Like being on another planet.

Freakhead's route is indeed lovely. Another option is from Calgary take the Highway 1A. Next to no traffic and nice curves surrounded by wonderful scenery. The unfortunate part of this route is being on the Trans Canada from Canmore to the Lake Louise turn off, about 40km, 25 miles. Fuel up anywhere but at Saskatchewan Crossing on the parkway. The fuel prices are insane.

Your so right. We ride what we like. My wife has a 400cc Yamaha Majesty scooter. That thing is as swift as my Strom once it gets going. We did a very similar route last September. I am envious of you and your wife. Not too envious, as the wife ans d I begin this years ride to Northern Alberta and Saskatchewan. I wish you a wonderful journey.

Ride safe
Phil
cdn_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:39 PM   #5
cycletlh OP
Slower than yesterday!

Thanks for the heads up on Hwy 40. I need to stay away from gravel when she is along.

We were on our cruisers and headed north out of Nakusp then east and south around Goat Mountain. Missed that it was all gravel on the map. Thought the gravel section was just going to be for a mile or two. We were almost to Kaslo when it turned back to pavement. The wife looked like she had just completed a desert race.

The first weekend she had her Victory I was looking for a shortcut around Mt. Hood. The road was paved but down to one lane when I ran into a couple of KLR riders that said it was closed up ahead due to snow but there was 10 miles of gravel that the Buell should handle no problem. About that time the wife rides up and the guys on the KLR said "you have a problem".
Old 08-14-2014, 06:58 PM   #6
cycletlh OP
Slower than yesterday!

Could we ride Hwy 22 to 541 then take 541 west to 40 then north on 40 to Calgary and stay on pavement?

Looking for my ADV brothers to keep me out of trouble on this trip. While she liked her V Strom I do not see her going back to one anytime soon.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:01 PM   #7
edwin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
i'd say NO to that plan on street bikes with street tires.
what say the rest ya'll
atb
1974 honda cb 550 (R.i.P. vanessa)
edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:42 PM   #8
crunchiespg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycletlh View Post
Could we ride Hwy 22 to 541 then take 541 west to 40 then north on 40 to Calgary and stay on pavement?

Looking for my ADV brothers to keep me out of trouble on this trip. While she liked her V Strom I do not see her going back to one anytime soon.
Isn't hwy 40 still closed north into kaninaskis?

I'm doing pretty much the opposite route leaving here Monday. Going to Spokane and then through to portland. I'm not sure if I'll do glacier park or just head more directly into west Montana.
Any suggestions for routes from Montana to Portland?

Edit. I think hwy 40 is open again.
crunchiespg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:13 PM   #9
cycletlh OP
Slower than yesterday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchiespg View Post

I'm doing pretty much the opposite route leaving here Monday. Going to Spokane and then through to portland. I'm not sure if I'll do glacier park or just head more directly into west Montana.
If you are not in a hurry I would get to Missoula then Lolo Pass to Lewiston, ID, Asotin WA, Enterprise OR, Elgin OR to Lagrande then I-84 to Portland. Asotin to Enterprise you go down Rattlesnake grade then get up on top of Hells Canyon. Be sure to stop at the overlook. It will prep you for when you can come back and go to Joseph then on to Oxbow Dam and into Hells Canyon.

If going through Spokane and not in a hurry and you do not want to go through Glacier we like Revelstoke, Nakusp, Castlegar, 3 to 3B to 22 and south to Spokane. Then Spokane to Tri-Cities and take the WA side down to Bridge of the Gods and cross over.

Lots of other options available but those are a couple of my favorites.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:43 AM   #10
Scott_F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycletlh View Post
Yes.

We just got back from another trip through Washington. We've been through Spokane often on our travels.

There is a nice "longcut" from the Coeur d'Alene River Road (from Kingston, ID) over David Thompson Pass to MT 471 and Thompson Falls, MT. Another nice ride is MT56, the Bull River Road to Troy. If you're bold (no gravel) there is another nice road (NF92) from Troy along the Yaak River, over the hill and through the woods, then across the lake to Rexford.

From there you can come north through Fernie and Crowsnest into Alberta, then north along AB22. If you want to go directly to the mountains, take a left at Longview and go west to AB 40. Be aware that there are no services or shelter along AB22 south of Longview or thropugh Kananaskis. Plan your fuel accordingly. The road is also subject to really violent weather if there's weather around, so be wary.

If you want to go to the David Thompson Highway (AB 11) continue north on AB 22 past Longview and Cochrane to Rocky Mountain House, then head west. Everything they say is true about the pirates at Saskatchewan River Crossing. You can sometimes get gas from the Indians along the highway.

The obvious route from there to Nakusp is south to the TCH and then west to Revelstoke, then south across Galena Bay ferry to Nakusp. You'll want to head east to New Denver and Kaslo, then south along Kootenay Lake to Nelson, Salmo and then south along the Pend O'Reille River to Spokane.

Nice trip. Something like this:
https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Sp...=3,5,8&t=m&z=6

Regards
Scott Fraser
Calgary
Scott_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:07 PM   #11
4B1T
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Hwy 40 open

Quote:
Isn't hwy 40 still closed north into kaninaskis?

Edit. I think hwy 40 is open again.
Yeah, Hwy 40 is now open and in pretty good shape. There are a couple spots with a bit ofgravel, and a slight (less than 100m) detour on packed gravel where a bridge washed out last year, but all in all, a great ride. Very scenic, and I have done the 541 from Longview to 40, north to TCH ride on my Bonnie three or four times this year. If you can incorporate it into the ride, I highly recommend it.
4B1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:56 PM   #12
Scott_F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
FWIW, we rode Going-to-the-Sun Road earlier this month. The eastern third is under construction, with flagmen and so on. It was choked with traffic, detracting from the enjoyment, and costing us at least an hour as opposed to taking Looking Glass Road (MT49) and going around to West Glacier on US 2. YMMV.

Enjoy your trip.

Regards
Scott Fraser
Calgary
Scott_F is offline   Reply With Quote