User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2014, 03:58 PM   #1
Ron from BC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,376
Canadas Motorcycle - Ohlins

Looking for a new Ohlins front shock and CM has a good price with free shipping to boot but....will they have it set up by their Ohlins supplier? In fairness no, I haven't contacted them yet but I'm curious if anyone has bought shocks from them in the past and if they were set up.

S46ER1-BM216

They're on sale this month for $874 Cdn free shipping and they only charge GST.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:12 AM   #2
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,520
It looks like their site says "Out of Stock" on all of them, probably so they can contact you re: springing, etc. I have had good success with CM as a supplier but for a shock, I'd probably go elsewhere. I also suspect you'll get hit with PST somewhere along the line.

I have talked a few times with RMR in Abbotsford and they seem to really know their stuff. http://www.rmrsuspensions.com/ They quoted me a pretty competitive price on an Ohlins for my FJR. (I should probably jump on it before the exchange rate screws it up).

BTW, I have Elkas front and rear on my GSA and couldn't be happier. They usually do a group buy here over the winter. You can't participate in a US group buy but when the group buy is on, you can call them and mention the group buy and they'll give you the same price.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:54 AM   #3
Ron from BC OP
Beastly Adventurer

I've exchanged a few emails with CM about the pricing and availability. As you noticed they don't carry Ohlins in their inventory and won't be ordering for 6-8 weeks which isn't a big deal for me. I went through the checkout process for a test and, as with some other on line vendors, they're only charging the GST.

I went back on an invoice I had from them from the spring for a couple of tires and they didn't charge with PST then either. So it'll be $918 to the door Cdn which is a pretty good price. The local dealer came down to $900 before both taxes.....but I will touch base with them again to see if they're interested in matching the price.

Another inmate had suggested I call RMR for a pricer too.

I put an Elka 4 way on the rear 90K miles ago and just had it serviced last year. Having read some posts on the front I decided to go with the Ohlins. I don't need another 4 way shock and the install sounded like a PITA.

I could get the same shock from the Vendors section guys and pick it up from Blaine WA in April $50 cheaper but for that amount I'd rather get it up here.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:08 PM   #4
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,520
Elka does sell a simpler shock for the front (2 or 3 way) - I have a four way on the front and it was an easy install - easier than the rear, IIRC. Running the hose to the back was the only difficult part. If I were doing it again, I wouldn't bother with all the adjustments on the front shock; once I got it dialed in, I pretty much have left it alone.

I just bought a Gold Valve kit from CM. They were about $50 more to the door than E-Bay, and better to give them the business - the change in exchange rate has really killed the advantage of buying from the USA.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:45 AM   #5
bumper1871
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
Thumb Suspension and shocks

You can also try Stadium or Elka that have a very good reputation
http://www.elkasuspension.com/

http://stadiumsuspension.com/en/mxenduro
bumper1871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:59 AM   #6
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,165
I purchased mine from mecadata in France.
They will waive the v.a.t.
Excellent service. Good prices.
yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:26 PM   #7
Ron from BC OP
Beastly Adventurer

I've had an Elka on the rear for about 80K miles and just had it serviced last year however I want an Ohlins for the front.

The Mecadata price, with the current exchange rate, is over 1k before shipping.

I've been in contact with CM and they'll likely have the 46er1-bm216 front available in 6 weeks or so and it'll be just over 900 Cdn delivered.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:05 AM   #8
Pay Dirt
panning the web

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumper1871 View Post
You can also try Stadium or Elka that have a very good reputation
http://www.elkasuspension.com/

http://stadiumsuspension.com/en/mxenduro

And Stadium will rebuild a stock BMW rear shock with a guarantee and serviceable after rebuild.

PD
Pay Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 06:36 PM   #9
Ron from BC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pay Dirt View Post
And Stadium will rebuild a stock BMW rear shock with a guarantee and serviceable after rebuild.

PD
The rear shock isn't the problem, as it's already been replaced with the Elka. The front OEM Showa needs replacing and they can't be rebuilt.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:14 AM   #10
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron from BC View Post
I've had an Elka on the rear for about 80K miles and just had it serviced last year however I want an Ohlins for the front.

The Mecadata price, with the current exchange rate, is over 1k before shipping.

I've been in contact with CM and they'll likely have the 46er1-bm216 front available in 6 weeks or so and it'll be just over 900 Cdn delivered.
Price is good close to what I paid years ago for a front Ohlins through a US vendor on here....I'll check CM my "new to me" Honda could use some suspension upgrades. Like every bike I have ever owned.....

$35.00(?) for half/hour of suspension tuning help & tips at RMR. Most probably well worth it, I was going to do that last year after they serviced my Ohlins but couldn't fit that in the schedule.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:59 AM   #11
Ron from BC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
Price is good close to what I paid years ago for a front Ohlins through a US vendor on here....I'll check CM my "new to me" Honda could use some suspension upgrades. Like every bike I have ever owned.....

$35.00(?) for half/hour of suspension tuning help & tips at RMR. Most probably well worth it, I was going to do that last year after they serviced my Ohlins but couldn't fit that in the schedule.
Ya for $35 I would stop by and have a coffee and get a lesson etc on the suspension.....if they were close by me. I don't expect that CM will ask for my weight etc for the set up however I'm sure with some reading I can connect the dots on it. I'm sure they're just getting it direct from Motovan Canada like the rest of the dealers and shops here.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:51 AM   #12
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron from BC View Post
Ya for $35 I would stop by and have a coffee and get a lesson etc on the suspension.....if they were close by me. I don't expect that CM will ask for my weight etc for the set up however I'm sure with some reading I can connect the dots on it. I'm sure they're just getting it direct from Motovan Canada like the rest of the dealers and shops here.
CM is the online arm of "Parts Canada". I should check the Motovan catalogue for prices to a "licensed dealer" and then discuss an appropriate profit margin with him.

Too far from Abbotsford???And I tought you had more than a few kms on that bike? All getting much farther for me I am retired, no more Lower Mainland/Vancouver Island unless I go for a ride.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:40 PM   #13
Ron from BC OP
Beastly Adventurer

...well that's interesting about CM/Parts Canada. The Motovan price is 1032.99 retail and from what I've been able to determine is that the dealer margin is anywhere between 20-30% depending on their volumes etc.

With the CM price of about 918 delivered to my door I'm happy with that.

Old 01-01-2015, 01:41 PM   #14
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,165
That is a pretty fair price, for sure.
yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote