Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2011, 04:19 AM   #151
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,894
The road defect is kind of marked, it even shows in your pic.... We were through there a few weeks back and did see that choppy section in time but it is not that easily noticed at speed... Last year the whole road was cut open at or near the same spot by water flow...

Red ribbon on roadside posts marks hazard and likely stretched right across the road at one time before the first transit vehicle broke it ...

Oh, great pics by the way, too bad the spill kinda ruined the day...

gunnerbuck screwed with this post 05-21-2011 at 04:27 AM
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:36 AM   #152
longwaytim OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
nice

Thanks for the post VanIsle180! ..really looking forward to exploring the Island & seeking out many of the logging roads on my map sitting in front of me. GR to Woss being one of them... perhaps there is to be be a loosely organised island ride in the future... cirtainly no shortage of willing participants
Old 05-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #153
Garak
Still wearing pants.

Oddometer: 266
Woss Vegas

Nice miniRR VanIsle! I used to spend a lot of time up that way, beautiful country. Definitely need to go for a ride in that direction soon!

My LinkedIn Profile
Garak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:30 AM   #154
VanIsle180
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
The road defect is kind of marked, it even shows in your pic.... We were through there a few weeks back and did see that choppy section in time but it is not that easily noticed at speed... Last year the whole road was cut open at or near the same spot by water flow...

Red ribbon on roadside posts marks hazard and likely stretched right across the road at one time before the first transit vehicle broke it ...

Oh, great pics by the way, too bad the spill kinda ruined the day...

Got me on that one I guess. Funny what you can and can't see depending on where you're standing and how pissed off you are at yourself.

VanIsle180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:11 AM   #155
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIsle180 View Post
Got me on that one I guess. Funny what you can and can't see depending on where you're standing and how pissed off you are at yourself.
That section of road hasn't been open for too long, 6-8 weeks ago it was still snowed in... Some of the lower passes in the area that we usually ride this time of year are still unrideable due to snow and will probably remain that way till mid June... A little frustrating when one is trying to E-Map these sections for the TCAT and for my ride event...
Old 05-22-2011, 08:25 AM   #156
MotorcycleIslandGuy
DigitalDBoy

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIsle180 View Post
First, I feel I should at least offer some apologize for those that don't get to live and play here. (So, sorry)

Also, it seems that this thread may have been high-graded () from a simple check-in to a sort of community forum. I like it!!! And like the folks on Maui say... "relax, this ain't the mainland".

Awesome start to the day...not so much at the end.

Once again we left one of the greatest places on the planet for another tour of one of the other greatest places on the planet. You guessed it...Woss, BC. Or as my buddy Benno likes to call it, Woss Vegas.

It's like the other vegas but without the drinking and the gambling.. no wait, that's not true. Well at least our version is stripper free! Wait, no, wrong on that as well.

Right. so we head north... first stop... Van Isle's version of West Coast Chopper's in Campbell River. They don't have any bikes, just choppers.

Next, on to Painter's Lodge for lunch. Can't talk..eating.

Out west towards Gold River, this is at Buttle Narrows after some great twists on the pavement. Beautiful weather, no traffic.

We both ride f8gs's, Benno's an 09, mine a '10. Similar km's similar amounts of crap being carried. The plan was to end up in Telegraph Cove tonight, have a couple beers and tour a different route southbound the next day.

Gold River.

From there, we were heading for Woss, some 70+km of suprisingly rocky and busy roads. You've gotta love them when they're stopped and not hurtling towards you! I know, they're only doing 40km.

The Woss valley is still running one of the last (as far as I know) logging trains in the country. Here are reload numbers 1 and 2.

From the northern reload (number 2?) we back tracked about two km to rejoin the west side of the river and shortly there after things went a little sideways. 25 km out of town, no chance of making a phone call and you come around the corner to see this.

This is the road from 100 m back... totally buffed, no problem at 50-60 km..

This...on the other hand... not what you want to see.

Now we all know that that pictures are deceiving, but I was there, and this bitch/ditch is WAY deeper than a bmer can handle at that speed.

Hang on, doesn't that look different than before?

But "it" and "he" get up and get going after a short 20 minute breather.

From this point on things got a little interesting, its, 25 km to Woss, 145 km to CR, the closest good doc?

Remember kids...don't cancel your "comprehensive" insurance when you ride a fancy bike. Cause .... this might happen.

And the stuff that used to be attached to this (like the bike) doesn't look a s&!t-tonne better than this does..including the rider.

Having hit "epic-failure" at this point we stopped taking pictures, did some bike "surgery" and spent the better part of the last 24 hours collecting people, bikes and trucks and getting them all back into place. It has all ended well...just a reminder... (save for the rebuild on the previously beautiful bike) when you're playing in paradise, especially the dirt kind of which there is a pile on Vancouver Island, you never know where some asshole is going to put in a 4 foot deep waterbar!!!!

I'm too much of an old fuq to figure out how to import a map....maybe someone out there can feed me some google map upload info...

Our route was simple enough. From Qualicum north on 19A to CR, west to Gold River, north on the Nimpkish Main (there are 2 or 3 that I can find, but from reload 2 we were west of the riveron a road called Backroad Main), to Woss, then south and east on the slab back towards home.

Watch for BIG trucks north of Gold River as on all the "mains" out there, and NO, no other vehicles from any company played any part in the day going sideways. None.

Play safe out there. And if you find yourself on a road called "Backroad" and you are heading north.....SLOW DOWN....cause there is a BIG unmarked waterbar in the middle of an otherwise perfect piece of gravel.

Also, if you're driving/riding though Bowser this weekend, drop by for a

Cheers all.

And yes "we" are all okay.
Wow thats brutal. Ive encountered this once and awhile,and i know how it scares the crap out of a person.Glad you guys are allright. So are you telling me that icbc will cover this if you have comprehensive? I was under the impression logging roads did not count. It must have been painfull to see that bike layin there like that,did you go flyin? Thanx
MotorcycleIslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:04 PM   #157
Pongo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Ouch

Spent the weekend in exactly that area, Campbell River, Gold River, Woss.
I was truck camping and fly fishing. Hope everyone is ok.
Pongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:20 AM   #158
VanIsle180
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
No humans were hurt in this exercise, the bmr has a $3000 nose job coming up shortly though. Play safe out there.

VanIsle180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:59 PM   #159
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

We were out playing again on Monday... The more spring like weather adds points to the ride... Nimpkish main North West from Woss has had a lot of logging activity so the road is in decent shape...

I'll throw in a few pics..

Pinder

Atluck

Bonanza
Old 05-24-2011, 10:22 PM   #160
yatman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Cool2 Gotta Love Our Island!!

..though have very much enjoyed our last three riding days that brought me and "the Better Half" from Victoria, here to Banff, watching the Canucks beat out the Sharks to get into the finals ( four wins to go!!)...seeing the pics of the Isle kinda makes me homesick....

yatman screwed with this post 05-25-2011 at 08:35 AM
yatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:27 PM   #161
Pongo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
I am going to ride Victoria, Renfrew, Gordon Main to Cayuse for my first gravel ride tomorrow, will decide there to go north around to youbou or down to nitnat river then back to Duncan.
I have driven all the roads in my truck in the past, looking forward to getting the adventure into its other element.
Pongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:04 PM   #162
Hockeydad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
The bike puts the Adventure in Adventure Riding

Came across this bike in the parking lot at Parksville - its awesome!
Everything from the tach (sitting just above the shifter), switches (off a semi-truck), speedo, Tupperware containers sitting on custom built racks, to the nuts welded on for a future sidecar... is just unreal!
How about a hardtail with a tractor springer seat.
The owner said he had taken it to New Orleans.
Started on the first kick and rode away fine.
Attached Images

Hockeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:07 PM   #163
Hockeydad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
here's a pic from the other side

note the headlight switch to the left of the air filter and the nut welded to the frame for the side car.
Attached Images

Hockeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:10 AM   #164
VanIsland Rider
Intrepid Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Hi from Gordon Head (Victoria). Great to see pics of our beautiful island, keep them coming!!

2004 R1200GS (yes there really is such a bike)
VanIsland Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:35 AM   #165
00Buck
dirt rules

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongo View Post
I am going to ride Victoria, Renfrew, Gordon Main to Cayuse for my first gravel ride tomorrow, will decide there to go north around to youbou or down to nitnat river then back to Duncan.
I have driven all the roads in my truck in the past, looking forward to getting the adventure into its other element.
Did that last Sunday, a great 20 km detour enroute is over Jordan Ridge. At 2500' there was still snow up there. For another 8 km detour between Lake Cow and Duncan, take the powerline road, mostly dry now but still some entertaining puddles to blast through. All big friendly, btw.
My cheesy vid of the Jordan Ridge section, from a few years ago... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAF8uGy-0ME

00Buck screwed with this post 05-28-2011 at 10:11 AM
00Buck is offline   Reply With Quote