Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2010, 10:08 AM   #16
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman149
I shall back away with shame then with my meagre 650 and will only raise my head again when I grow up and get a big bike to join your 'bigger dualsport' club
Let's not be hasty. If I still had my old Suzuki 400, I'd be adding my name to the list anyways. I was thinking of maybe excluding the HD guys though.... I got a whole whack of ribbing from those buggers at my workplace when my Beemer was ill. They just never let up on me.
jackd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:45 AM   #17
longwaytim OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck
Are you talking about street bikes that can ride on gravel like the big GS and V Stroms?
Yeah, more or less...
Old 11-16-2010, 11:16 AM   #18
woodsman149
not n00b

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by longwaytim
Yeah, more or less...
Well by the sounds of it "more" is what you looking for, not "less", certainly not less than 1000cc
woodsman149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:07 PM   #19
longwaytim OP
Studly Adventurer

It's not so much the size of bikes but the type of riding. ...Some road, some logging road etc... If that's your thing then ride what you like!
Old 11-16-2010, 06:02 PM   #20
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,960
The big bikes earn the title "Adventure Bikes" because they can turn a simple backroads ride {for a 650} into a harrowing Adventure...

Don't get me wrong, they're great bikes on the street and groomed gravel but definitely out of their element on rougher ground... When I play tour guide and we have some of these big bikes along I adjust the routes accordingly to stay away from the technical bits...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:49 PM   #21
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,487
Another member checking in... Colwood, just outside Victoria.

Hope to be moving back East next summer though.

Ken

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:52 AM   #22
longwaytim OP
Studly Adventurer

It wasn't my intention to make this thread about the bikes, etc... I will chose my words more carefully in the future, such as my loose use of "Dualsport"...

I just tought it would be cool to see if there was enough interest out there for a handful of us to get together & to do a two or three day Vanvouver Island ride sometime in the future. Lots of great paved & non paved roads... Anyway, just testing the waters for now.

...Looks like there is enough interest for such a ride..
Old 11-17-2010, 09:03 AM   #23
longwaytim OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck
The big bikes earn the title "Adventure Bikes" because they can turn a simple backroads ride {for a 650} into a harrowing Adventure...

Don't get me wrong, they're great bikes on the street and groomed gravel but definitely out of their element on rougher ground... When I play tour guide and we have some of these big bikes along I adjust the routes accordingly to stay away from the technical bits...
Agreed! Personally my thing is equally slab & logging roads, (perfect for the GS) & that's about it... If I did true dualsport riding, I'd have a smaller more nimble bike for sure..
Old 11-17-2010, 09:50 AM   #24
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by longwaytim
Agreed! Personally my thing is equally slab & logging roads, (perfect for the GS) & that's about it... If I did true dualsport riding, I'd have a smaller more nimble bike for sure..
Thats good that you enjoy the capabilities of the bike and it fits your style...
Keep in mind though that some of the best most scenic riding on Vancouver Island are in these area that will be a struggle for your GS to reach without above average riding skill...

I don't know where you draw the line as to what is a dualsport and what is an Adventure bike, I guess that comes down to personal choice... Myself, I think the 650 class bikes can work both categories extremely well... Of coarse the big bike can do double the posted hwy speed limit while the 650 struggles after 20 over...

Enough said, I'll leave this thread to the big bike fans...

David...

gunnerbuck screwed with this post 11-18-2010 at 04:42 PM
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:27 AM   #25
Canadane
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Another one. New in the area. Previously in the Okanagan but now in the Qualicum Beach/Parksville area. (French Creek)

Canadane
Canadane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:33 AM   #26
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Put Payner down on the list. He is now a prisoner in Alberta but is voicing plans of returning... I'm saving him a spot.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:47 PM   #27
seekeronsaltspring
Crazy David

Oddometer: 421
Here on Salt Spring Island I toiling with the ideal of a every day bike show as the local car show is only set up for cars. any thing bike or two to three wheels parked in a row in the park and just having a good time chatting with everyone,

So any one intersted in coming?

David the side car guy.
seekeronsaltspring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:45 PM   #28
payner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Yo! Payner here, just checking in to see what's up on the Island! I never had a bike when I lived there and now I'm wishing it wasn't such a big ride (on the DR650) to get there and back... great roads fer sure.

If I can get the DR650 out there some time I'd love to hook up with some of you for a bit of a run on the logging roads and such. I'll definitely check in here if I can find the time to ride out there.

For the time being I'll satisfy myself with the BCBTR again this year. If you're coming east for that, it would be great to get together for a brew.

Chris,
former Central Saanich'ean
payner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:27 PM   #29
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Some would suggest that your DR650 is one of the ideal bikes for VI - I know that I enjoyed my old DR400 back in the day - I actually went to the effort of getting it plated because the cops were starting to chase guys on the logging roads back in the early '80s. I quit riding when I hit Vancouver but finally bought my GS a few years ago mostly for the planned riding I will be doing on the Island when I retire. So as you are returning , you best start scouting around for the hardware that you will be needing.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:31 AM   #30
Fishnbiker
Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer: 349
VI ADV riders

Put me on the list ... 1995 Tiger that loves the mud & gravel, fishn & campn too

http://fishnbiker.smugmug.com
My Photos at: http://fishnbiker.smugmug.com
Fishnbiker is offline   Reply With Quote