ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 03:09 PM   #331
swellguy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
swellguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Victoria & Vancouver BC
Oddometer: 170
Heidenau

Not that I don't like to support local businesses but Jenn & Todd from mountainmotorrad.ca had some great pricing, Greyhound overnite and only 5% tax.
__________________
Wear out, don't rust out.
swellguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:32 PM   #332
Ron from BC
Beastly Adventurer
 
Ron from BC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver Island
Oddometer: 1,311
Pretty easy....phone both places then factor in distance and inconvenience etc and decide. Personally, I live out by the ferry terminal in North Saanich and it's a nice ride to Kenco and he's always been very helpful and reasonable.

I have no affiliation to Kenco nor does he even know my name....and I'm sure Adrenaline is good too, just haven't shopped there.

my .02


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody1771 View Post
No from adrenaline, they where within walking distance of work.


---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=48.467008,-123.369443
__________________
'02 BMW R1150 GSA
'06 Kawasaki KL250H Super Sherpa
Ron from BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #333
swellguy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
swellguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Victoria & Vancouver BC
Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron from BC View Post
Pretty easy....phone both places then factor in distance and inconvenience etc and decide. Personally, I live out by the ferry terminal in North Saanich and it's a nice ride to Kenco and he's always been very helpful and reasonable.

I have no affiliation to Kenco nor does he even know my name....and I'm sure Adrenaline is good too, just haven't shopped there.

my .02
Both shops are very good. Ken is very helpful and a good source of knowledge and supply for off-toad and dual sport riders, though most of his work seems aimed at lower sized CC bikes. Adrenaline is also very good, shop rates a bit expensive. Also would throw Victoria Motorcycle Sales in the mix.
__________________
Wear out, don't rust out.
swellguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #334
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur
 
Tropic-Of-Canada's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver Island, BC
Oddometer: 838
Good Suzuki Mechanic?

Since We're on the subject of shops and mechanics, I'm wondering if someone can recommend a shop that could do a going over of my Suzuki DRZ 400 with 24000km. I'm not sure what the going rate for a thumper tune up would be, but I get paranoid of shops when I ask about a service figure and they say "Oh i dont know, a couple of hours...." (at $70+)
There. I admit it, I'm scared of shops, and I can only afford a three digit bill, if that......Anyway, one day I'm going to have to bring it in to a shop, for my own piece of mind.
There is another guy in Vic by the name of Eric Bachmann I think? he's a backyard mechanic who advertizes on Used Vic, and someone from my work went to him, and was quite happy. Anyone out there tried him?
I'm just a Noob who doesn't want to get screwed to the wall, but at the same time, I don't want something vital to go wrong with my bike while on the road or in the bush!
Tropic-Of-Canada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:52 PM   #335
Cowgirl
Cougar on the prowl
 
Cowgirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC - for now
Oddometer: 3,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic-Of-Canada View Post
Since We're on the subject of shops and mechanics, I'm wondering if someone can recommend a shop that could do a going over of my Suzuki DRZ 400 with 24000km. I'm not sure what the going rate for a thumper tune up would be, but I get paranoid of shops when I ask about a service figure and they say "Oh i dont know, a couple of hours...." (at $70+)
There. I admit it, I'm scared of shops, and I can only afford a three digit bill, if that......Anyway, one day I'm going to have to bring it in to a shop, for my own piece of mind.
There is another guy in Vic by the name of Eric Bachmann I think? he's a backyard mechanic who advertizes on Used Vic, and someone from my work went to him, and was quite happy. Anyone out there tried him?
I'm just a Noob who doesn't want to get screwed to the wall, but at the same time, I don't want something vital to go wrong with my bike while on the road or in the bush!
I go to Adrenalin but I'm a member there and do my own work. Scott is a great guy and is more that willing to help you with stuff you're not comfortable with. I did my own 24000km service which includes valves. I did everything up to the actual valve check which Scott did showing me how as he went along and then I put it back together - it came to around $350.
A friend of mine took his KLR to Kenco for valves I think and was charged a fraction of what he was quoted at SG.
__________________
Cougar tracks
The initial pawprints
The blind date
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:52 PM   #336
swellguy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
swellguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Victoria & Vancouver BC
Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic-Of-Canada View Post
Since We're on the subject of shops and mechanics, I'm wondering if someone can recommend a shop that could do a going over of my Suzuki DRZ 400 with 24000km. I'm not sure what the going rate for a thumper tune up would be, but I get paranoid of shops when I ask about a service figure and they say "Oh i dont know, a couple of hours...." (at $70+)
There. I admit it, I'm scared of shops, and I can only afford a three digit bill, if that......Anyway, one day I'm going to have to bring it in to a shop, for my own piece of mind.
There is another guy in Vic by the name of Eric Bachmann I think? he's a backyard mechanic who advertizes on Used Vic, and someone from my work went to him, and was quite happy. Anyone out there tried him?
I'm just a Noob who doesn't want to get screwed to the wall, but at the same time, I don't want something vital to go wrong with my bike while on the road or in the bush!
Call Andrew Peters 250-858-4328. 30+ years works on Harleys, BMWs, KTM's, Yamaha, etc. His rate is $50/hour.
__________________
Wear out, don't rust out.
swellguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #337
Cody1771
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Cody1771's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl View Post
I go to Adrenalin but I'm a member there and do my own work. Scott is a great guy and is more that willing to help you with stuff you're not comfortable with. I did my own 24000km service which includes valves. I did everything up to the actual valve check which Scott did showing me how as he went along and then I put it back together - it came to around $350.
A friend of mine took his KLR to Kenco for valves I think and was charged a fraction of what he was quoted at SG.
What does a membership. Cost, was checking it out and it seems worth it


---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=48.466833,-123.369336
Cody1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:14 PM   #338
Cowgirl
Cougar on the prowl
 
Cowgirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC - for now
Oddometer: 3,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody1771 View Post
What does a membership. Cost, was checking it out and it seems worth it


---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=48.466833,-123.369336
$100/yr. Membership perks - discounts on purchases, tires, shop rate, etc. Use of shop and tools - $20/hr. Unlimited free tire mounting and balancing. One road call per yr.
__________________
Cougar tracks
The initial pawprints
The blind date
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:14 PM   #339
Cowgirl
Cougar on the prowl
 
Cowgirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC - for now
Oddometer: 3,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by swellguy View Post
Call Andrew Peters 250-858-4328. 30+ years works on Harleys, BMWs, KTM's, Yamaha, etc. His rate is $50/hour.
+1 Good guy.
__________________
Cougar tracks
The initial pawprints
The blind date
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:54 PM   #340
Fishnbiker
Tire smuddy, hook swet
 
Fishnbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Campbell River, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Oddometer: 315
[QUOTE=Cowgirl;15453692]I was in CR on the Wee yesterday - the weather was really awful you guys! Windy and I got hailed on! What's with that? [/QUOTE

We like to keep visitors confused.
__________________
Ken / Fishnbiker
Felix, 95 Tiger - Dirty Cat,
Buzz, '08 DR 650 - To Infinity, & Beyond!
My Photos at: http://fishnbiker.smugmug.com
Fishnbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #341
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur
 
Tropic-Of-Canada's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver Island, BC
Oddometer: 838
[QUOTE=Fishnbiker;17857909]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl View Post
I was in CR on the Wee yesterday - the weather was really awful you guys! Windy and I got hailed on! What's with that? [/QUOTE

We like to keep visitors confused.
Welcome to the Island!( "so when Is it going to stop raining?" says the tourist....."Oh I don't know..... May?")
Tropic-Of-Canada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #342
Cowgirl
Cougar on the prowl
 
Cowgirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC - for now
Oddometer: 3,859
[QUOTE=Fishnbiker;17857909]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl View Post
I was in CR on the Wee yesterday - the weather was really awful you guys! Windy and I got hailed on! What's with that? [/QUOTE

We like to keep visitors confused.
[QUOTE=Tropic-Of-Canada;17858408]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnbiker View Post

Welcome to the Island!( "so when Is it going to stop raining?" says the tourist....."Oh I don't know..... May?")
Wow!! How'd you guys did up that old post?! I've put 25,000 km on the Wee since then
__________________
Cougar tracks
The initial pawprints
The blind date
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:43 PM   #343
jackd
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: North Cowichan
Oddometer: 2,952
My trip to Port Alberni on Thursday was also a weather disaster. There was snow from Cameron Lake onward. You can throw on top of that the thermal inversion that hits that fine town this time of year - at least the white stuff on the ground brightened up the landscape because the sun wasn't getting through the clag.

As I sat on the ferry heading back to Vancouver, I looked and saw the cold white hills of the Island and compared it to the warmer tones of what I was seeing over here. I almost thought that the Island suffered from crappier conditions and should be avoided at all costs. But then the inner knowledge of great spring weather on the Island from days past washed away those thoughts.
jackd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:06 PM   #344
Cowgirl
Cougar on the prowl
 
Cowgirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC - for now
Oddometer: 3,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd View Post
My trip to Port Alberni on Thursday was also a weather disaster. There was snow from Cameron Lake onward. You can throw on top of that the thermal inversion that hits that fine town this time of year - at least the white stuff on the ground brightened up the landscape because the sun wasn't getting through the clag.

As I sat on the ferry heading back to Vancouver, I looked and saw the cold white hills of the Island and compared it to the warmer tones of what I was seeing over here. I almost thought that the Island suffered from crappier conditions and should be avoided at all costs. But then the inner knowledge of great spring weather on the Island from days past washed away those thoughts.
Don't forget you're a lot higher on the road to PA than you are in the lower mainland. It was a gorgeous day for a ride around Victoria/Sooke/Metchosin on Thursday - I had a great ride
__________________
Cougar tracks
The initial pawprints
The blind date
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:53 PM   #345
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur
 
Tropic-Of-Canada's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver Island, BC
Oddometer: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl View Post
Don't forget you're a lot higher on the road to PA than you are in the lower mainland. It was a gorgeous day for a ride around Victoria/Sooke/Metchosin on Thursday - I had a great ride
Shawnigan = snow this time of year
Tropic-Of-Canada is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014