Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #631
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnbiker View Post
Them's the logs ... sinkhole about 2m across & 3m+ deep. Looks like you did the reverse route we followed. Very mellow, saw NOT ONE vehicle between Gold River & Woss.
Every year the Woss connector {Back} road washes out and it sees so little use that it is often not fixed until Summer... Last year it washed and left a big bike unfriendly square edged channel across the road, we rode through that thing for about 3 months before it saw attention... I actually don't mind having the tough road conditions like that as it makes it into a MC/quad route only...

On another note, I have had quite a few inquiries asking if there was going to be another North Island Ride this year... I am thinking of going ahead on it again this year and taking the ride out Mahatta way.. A few year back I was going to take the group out there but the weather forced a change in plans... I'm wondering how many people following this thread would be interested in doing a 3-4 day excursion to the West Northwest side of the Island and what dates work best? Hold it over a long weekend or not?
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:57 PM   #632
yatman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
North Van Isle ride...

gunnerbuck....would really like to be a part of a North Van Isle ride....hopefully it would work out schedule-wise...how about that GPS track from your recent posting to share?.....keep us informed of your thoughts and plans...ears and eyes are open...

yatman
yatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:26 PM   #633
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatman View Post
gunnerbuck....would really like to be a part of a North Van Isle ride....hopefully it would work out schedule-wise...how about that GPS track from your recent posting to share?.....keep us informed of your thoughts and plans...ears and eyes are open...

yatman
I'm trying to guage which dates work the best for those interested... This years ride will be a caravan type event where we camp at a different location each night... So riders will need to haul all the gear for camping in the field and need about a 300 KM fuel range to do the Mahatta loop out of Port Alice... Holding it on a long weekend would be best to avoid logging truck traffic...

Sent you a pm...
Old 04-26-2013, 01:43 AM   #634
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 845
I've lived on the Island 23 of 28 yrs, and I still haven't been farther north than Courtenay! That's gotta change this year... I'd love to be in on this! 300km range on a DRZ is pushing it though.....I'm probably on fumes by 250kms with a jerry can...Well, if I have to carry 2 jerry cans, I will, heck, I want to make it out to Bamfield this year too!
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #635
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic-Of-Canada View Post
I've lived on the Island 23 of 28 yrs, and I still haven't been farther north than Courtenay! That's gotta change this year... I'd love to be in on this! 300km range on a DRZ is pushing it though.....I'm probably on fumes by 250kms with a jerry can...Well, if I have to carry 2 jerry cans, I will, heck, I want to make it out to Bamfield this year too!
Your 250 KM range would probably do to get you out and back, but it's nice to have a little extra fuel to explore... One of the supertankers could give you a shot of petrol if you run short, my tank holds nearly 26 liters so I guess it qualifies as a supertanker....
Old 04-26-2013, 11:16 PM   #636
Cowgirl
Cougar on the prowl

Oddometer: 4,028
I'd be in for this too depending on timing. I have access to a safari tank for the WR - this might be an opportunity to give it a try I've always wanted to go on one of your rides.........
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:22 AM   #637
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl View Post
I'd be in for this too depending on timing. I have access to a safari tank for the WR - this might be an opportunity to give it a try I've always wanted to go on one of your rides.........
I would like some input on which dates work best, the last few years I have been doing it around the 3rd weekend in July... Maybe a long weekend would work better, like the Canada Day {28th June-July 1st} or the BC Day weekend near the Beginning of August...
Old 04-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #638
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur

what about May Long? (18, 19, 20th) monday is the stat.... I'm lucky enough to have fridays off too, if it were to be a 4 day tour..
Old 04-27-2013, 09:43 PM   #639
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Quote:
what about May Long? (18, 19, 20th) monday is the stat.... I'm lucky enough to have fridays off too, if it were to be a 4 day tour..
Canada Day also has the stat on a Monday...

I thought about the May long weekend but there are a couple or knocks against using that date... #1 The weather is still pretty iffy out that way in May, it's not unheard of to have snow in that pass then #2 It comes pretty close to conflicting with the Orca Run... Early July you have more of a chance for better weather, but I would still plan an alternate destination if the weather forecast for Mahatta looks bad...
Old 04-27-2013, 10:00 PM   #640
yatman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Talking Isle dates

I'd be out on an early Aug. trip but the July I might be able to make ( must ask)...but I like the idea of following someone who's guiding and I must simply concentrate on not falling over....

yatman screwed with this post 04-27-2013 at 10:01 PM Reason: Grammar
yatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #641
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

So the tenative date for the Ni Ride 2013 will be June28th- July 1st... I'll put together a route plan in the coming weeks after a bit of pre riding...
Old 04-28-2013, 10:28 PM   #642
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur

I did the long version of the circle route today, and took Gordon river main, tried to go to Mclure Lake via TR2, and got cut off by snow right after the summit in the shadow of the hills...About a foot at the worst...So I went further south down gordon main instead, then headed up what I thought was Edinburgh main, but was probably Braden main. I hadn't brought the right map, so I wasn't too sure...Luckily it spat me out near Port Renfrew like I thought it would, all the while getting soaked! I weighed about 10 lbs more by the time I got home! between Honeymoon bay and Jordan River, 3 bears, 2 cars, 0 campers anywhere!!

Tropic-Of-Canada screwed with this post 04-28-2013 at 10:34 PM
Old 05-01-2013, 10:48 PM   #643
Rydr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Laugh Another Van Isle guy...

I'm located half way up the Island in Campbell River. Also on DSBC with the same monicker. Been through the Gold River / Woss connector twice this year and the Cumberland / Port Alberni connector twice. Mostly ride the back Roads between Campbell River, Gold River, Sayward triangle. I'm retired so I can get out and ride most any day I want. Anyone in the area that wants some company on a ride let me know. Cheers and safe riding.
Rydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:00 AM   #644
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur

If you were to recommend any one place or route in your neck of the woods, what would it be? I've been through from comox lake to great central, and it is one of my favorite areas of the island so far!
Old 05-02-2013, 03:08 AM   #645
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Quote:
If you were to recommend any one place or route in your neck of the woods, what would it be? I've been through from comox lake to great central, and it is one of my favorite areas of the island so far!
Have you got a GPS? If so PM me your E- mail if you would like some tracks...