User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2014, 07:07 PM   #1
bluesurf OP
en dos ruedas

Oddometer: 998
Touratech Zega Panniers

disclaimer: this is going to be a rant, and for my benefit only, so if you have a different opinion then feel free to keep it to yourself.

Zega panniers suck. Whoever designed them should be taken out back, covered with honey, and laid naked next to a red ant pile.

I had cause to ride my wife's 2010 F650GS to work and back today. We purchased the bike with the panniers already on it, or I would've put Jesse's on. For secure non-dirt riding Jesse's are the bomb. Solid closures without needing to be locked, thick steel, USA made. A few more pounds than the others, but well worth it.

Specifically, the Zega's interface between the removable top and the case itself is the suck. There's just enough tension when latched to make one believe that they were actually engineered correctly and will stay on during a ride, which one didn't today.

But wait, there's more. Even if the rear latch is locked, then the top case can blow off and flap back, wrenching the rear works. And, if you order now, then you can expect to pay $145+ for a replacement top. Seriously, $145 for a 17" x 9" mass-produced chinese machined piece of thin aluminum? What a joke that's foisted upon thousands of "must have shiny Touratech products on my BMW".

Fortunately, and at the moment I use that word *very* loosely, then Ttech has a replacement in stock, and we're headed on a 2-wheeled road trip to Seattle beginning Saturday morning.

When we return in a few weeks, the panniers and mounts are going on Flea Market. They suck so bad that I just never want them to disgrace our garage again. Stay tuned for the opportunity of a lifetime.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:28 PM   #2
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,476
They should sell fast with that endorsement!!
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:09 PM   #3
bluesurf OP
en dos ruedas

Oddometer: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
They should sell fast with that endorsement!!
Lyle
"insert David Hannum quote here"
Old 09-11-2014, 11:05 PM   #4
Medic09
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
A few years back I bought TT boxes for $100 less from KTM World. The only difference is they came with a KTM brand sticker on each one. They had replacement parts, too.

I don't know how it is now; but if I were to need a replacement part - I would try KTM World before going directly to TT.

I agree that Jesses are a lot more substantial (and heavy). My wife had them on her F650GS, and they were bombproof (almost literally).

'07 aprilia Caponord
'75 Triumph T160 Trident (rebuilding)
Medic09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:08 AM   #5
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 979
Sorry, couldn't resist....

I had a lot of TT stuff on my Adventure, and was reasonably happy with the quality of most of it. That said, I've heard a lot of complaints about the Zega boxes.
'05Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:19 AM   #6
clang
Not lost, Exploring!

Oddometer: 2,785
I have had the TT Zegas, Jesses, Hepco and Becker, and Pelican Cases for hard bags. The Zega's are definitely the least durable. A few dirt naps and they are trashed. The Jesses seem to be the most durable of the commercial, metal cases. They have survived several back country face plants, and have barely a scratch, but they are heavy.

My favorite are my home made Pelican Panniers. I have had them for more than a decade on my trusty airhead GS. They have survived every manner of abuse, and are still airtight and solid as they day they were new. I have replaced the mounting pucks once (TT nylon hardware for the Zega cases - I actually like this hardware design for the old airhead type racks) on one of the bags after tearing it off on a tree in a tight section of trail. I now carry a spare set. The Pelicans were unharmed - mounting hardware broken, pannier frame slightly tweaked, pelican case - bomb proof.

Uzume also has the Zegas on her F650, they came on the bike, but I will be replacing them with Pelicans when the first one gets tweaked...
clang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 03:27 PM   #7
BootsandPants
Sprayer

Oddometer: 108
+1 for pelican style. Lighter and more durable. They don't have that adv bling factor that metal cases have, but for pure utility I'm convinced they are one of the best hard case options out there.
Plus, it's only $150 to replace one if you somehow manage to break it. I'll take that over the 600 for an Al case any day.

Sorry you had a shitty experience with the TT cases though; always sucks when something so expensive can't even perform it's most basic functions.
BootsandPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:58 AM   #8
3Putt
Is that a gimmie?

Oddometer: 626
That's why you never unlock the front lock.

2014 Super Tenere
3Putt is offline   Reply With Quote