Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2011, 04:50 PM   #151
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

Oddometer: 5,671
Actually it's an os4 thing. So if you are running any version of os4 it should work.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:53 PM   #152
dpifko
Can u smell the It's Its?

Oddometer: 323
Orientation lock in iOS 4.3

In future news, iOS 4.3 for iPad will allow you to set the physical switch as Mute or Orientation Lock: http://techcrunch.com/2011/01/12/ios-43-ipad-2/ . Unclear whether it'll offer the same set of features on iPhone/iPod touch.

AVAILABLE NOW - ANDROID version: Greatest Drive
dpifko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:12 PM   #153
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenniSMC View Post
Actually it's an os4 thing. So if you are running any version of os4 it should work.

marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:26 PM   #154
dpifko
Can u smell the It's Its?

Oddometer: 323
You learn something new every day. So if you do a quick-double-click on the home button you get Phone Favorites, rather than a list of icons along the bottom? It must be a 3G thing, since you don't get multitasking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post

AVAILABLE NOW - ANDROID version: Greatest Drive
dpifko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:49 PM   #155
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

I stand corrected. Its a OS4 3GS/4 thing. Sorry.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:33 PM   #156
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpifko View Post
You learn something new every day. So if you do a quick-double-click on the home button you get Phone Favorites, rather than a list of icons along the bottom? It must be a 3G thing, since you don't get multitasking.
Yep. Must be a 3G (and earlier) thing with our wimpy little processor.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:19 PM   #157
WIBO
Will it buff out?

Oddometer: 3,572
Road Trip Lite

FREE
Really simple app for miles per gallon (cost per mile etc)for the moto/car...works out a heap of stuff and you only need about 3 things to enter in to keep it tracking your outlay...So easy to do right after filling up...

Me: I don't give a fuck what you think.
WIBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:28 AM   #158
CCRN Rider
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Yelp

nOOb here.. Great Thread!!

+1 on Yelp- It is an excellent app that I use all the time (in the cage or on the bike). Whether you are looking for a good restaurant to eat at while riding though po-dunk USA or you are looking for a better place to have your wife's brazillian done, you will find honest reviews from customers like you an I here. While on a trip down the Pacific Coast Highway, we found local restaurants that hit the mark every time.

+1 on Weather Undergound- I don't care for their app. I prefer to save the full website page on my weather icon as I can easily find all the information that I need including radar and tropical weather pages for staying up on conditions back home.

+1 on Pandora- Enough said

+1 on AOL radio- Allows me to listen to (some) of my local stations from anywhere USA. Nice to stay up on local sports radio. Even when all our teams suck...

Digits Calculator- Very handy calculator with tape that allows you to verify entries.

All are free.

Does anyone know if Motion X GPS routes interrupt itunes music to announce directions? I am using the Sena-SMP10 bluetooth intercom system and can see how this would be very handy.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:36 PM   #159
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

Motion X GPS Drive does. Not sure the regular GPS. I rarely use it for directions.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:49 PM   #160
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

Ok my Fellow Geekorcyclists.
(Sorry for the gay name. I couldn't resist. I hope I didn't just coin a phrase. Or name out geek motorcycling generation)
Anyway. I am going to write a ride report in 2 weeks. I will be riding from Florida back to PA. But I will wander Florida and GA a bit before heading back to PA. Since I started this thread, I thought I might try to incorporate as many iphone apps as possible to enhance the telling of the story. And demonstrate what a fine tool the iphone is on these trips.

So far I plan to use MotionX GPS Drive for directions. And TrackR for tracking my way. I was thinking about making Video Logs in different locations to take notes. This way I could either upload them or just watch them when I am ready to write.

I would love any imput. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:21 PM   #161
Texcollect
Adventurer wannabe

Oddometer: 195
The only advice I would give would be to invest in one of these NewTrent iPhone external battery. I use this in my tank bag to keep my iPhone topped up when I am riding and using motion X GPS to keep track of my route. If I didn't it would kill the battery in my iPhone in about 3 hours. I have the IMP 880 and it kepy my cell phone plus 2 kid's iPod Touch going on a 10 hour flight to Europe.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:35 PM   #162
beachdancer
Beachdancer

Oddometer: 53
Any information on what use of apps like pandora, motion x gps and trackr does to data usage and AT&T data charges?
beachdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:03 PM   #163
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

I have a USB outlet on the dash. So I run off the bike. Battery life is never an issue. As for data plans. I have an old plan. I still have unlimited data. But just in case I can't get good signal. I preloaded the maps via wifi from home before I leave.
Trackr will suck a battery dead even when it's plugged in. You need to change the upload time to every 30 sec or minute. That will keep the battery charging and the data down. Default it uploads every 15 sec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2011, 01:04 PM   #164
mesaliving
Making it happen

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
(Sorry for the gay name. I couldn't resist. I hope I didn't just coin a phrase. Or name out geek motorcycling generation)
Anyway. I am going to write a ride report in 2 weeks. I will be riding from Florida back to PA. But I will wander Florida and GA a bit before heading back to PA. Since I started this thread, I thought I might try to incorporate as many iphone apps as possible to enhance the telling of the story. And demonstrate what a fine tool the iphone is on these trips.

So far I plan to use MotionX GPS Drive for directions. And TrackR for tracking my way. I was thinking about making Video Logs in different locations to take notes. This way I could either upload them or just watch them when I am ready to write.

I'm tuned in
Old 01-16-2011, 05:21 PM   #165
MrMac
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 594
Quote:

Here a couple of other thoughts..

- Try CoPilot Live for navigation. I've tried MotionX Drive, and wasn't particularly impressed. I've been a CoPilot user (on WinMo devices) for many years. With CoPilot, you have to downlaod the map data, which should probably be done via WiFi or connected to your computer. It has 'Motorcycle' as a 'mode of travel' (along with a number of other travel preferences) which does a pretty decent job of selecting back roads and avoiding interstates. You can also get the free 15-day trial for Live Traffic which is helpful in urban areas. Route planning is much better than most anything else I've tried.. It also has a music player that will run while navigating. And it has a feature called 'Live Friends', which allows you to share your location with other CoPilot users.

- GeoGroups is another tracking program similar to TrackR, but with a lot more functionality. You could create a 'public' group and allow other GeoGroup users to join and follow your trip. I used it last summer so my daughters could follow my wife and I on a trip. At that time, I had it on a WinMo device running in background mode which may not be doable on an Iphone, depending on your version. It is also a bit more complicated to use than TrackR however..

Anyhow, lots of options out there and I'd really be interested in finding out what works for you and what doesn't. Me, I'm new to the Iphone, so still trying to figure out what all is available as well..