Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2011, 12:40 PM   #196
ckinneavy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Swan View Post
I did a quick read through and I didn't find this mentioned ... Anybody know of an app that will give me real time on road weather alerts? A tie into NOAA's national weather radio service maybe?

I know that NOAA gives no guarantee that I won't find myself looking up at a hay bale floating a thousand feet above me but I have hope it might the next time ... I know I can get something of the sort through XM radio but there must be a good app for an iPhone.
Try weather undergrounds app it has an alert from the national weather service that shows up real time
ckinneavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:34 AM   #197
Harry Swan
One more time

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckinneavy View Post
Try weather undergrounds app it has an alert from the national weather service that shows up real time
Good suggestion! I quickly found that we already had the WunderRadio app which does have NOAA weather radio streams. Of course the downside to any smart phone app is signal coverage....
Old 04-26-2011, 01:42 PM   #198
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastery View Post
Saw the notes about Trackr on here, figured I'd go download it for the iPhone and try it out. Going to the developer's website, it appears that he has passed away recently. Since all tracks are saved to the developer's site and server, this may not exist much longer. Apparently others have reported lack of communication from the developer or his team for the past 2 years, which leads me to believe this will probably fade away.

Any other good tracking apps out there for the iPhone? I've found a few that shows where the iPhone is, but nothing that captures and saves routes as they are ridden.
After a few days of downloading and trying quite a few different apps, looks like MotionXGps is the best out there for recording the route as it's ridden. I'll keep playing with it. It records a route great, but isn't the best "all-in-one" for documenting a trip. Nothing is I guess.

I did find a iPhone/Ipad app called Trip Journal (review here: http://www.macworld.com/appguide/art...article=150802). It's a complete trip app that also will do tracking, but incorporates a neat way to maintain a journal with notes, photos, and videos. It comes as a free app, or for $2.99, will allow archiving of unlimited trips, has all kinds of export features, and has a really nice interface. Like all other tracking apps, it will drain the battery quickly if not kept charged.

Figured others may want to look these two possibilities over as well.

2015 Alaska Adventure Ride Callout
Mastery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:14 PM   #199
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Easytrail works pretty well also.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:32 AM   #200
Cumminsman76
befuddled

Oddometer: 8,482
How much data does Pandora Radio use? I dont have unlimited but maybe for longer rides once in a while I'd like to use it.

Save $5 on Smugmug "1alkVgTNLEuyQ"
Cumminsman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:07 AM   #201
dsm_rally
The Lorax

Oddometer: 1,256
About this much.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:58 PM   #202
Cumminsman76
befuddled

Oddometer: 8,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm_rally View Post
About this much.

Thanks, only about 7,820,000 results.

Save $5 on Smugmug "1alkVgTNLEuyQ"
Cumminsman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:08 AM   #203
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer: 1,361
Question iPhone Touch 3G Mobile Hotspot??

Anybody with an iPod Touch using a mobile wifil hotspot? I've got a 4th gen Touch, does all the app stuff but is wifi only. I'm considering getting this Verizon wifi hotspot to enable use of the Touch where no wifi, but 3g, is available. Just wondering if any of the ADV inmates are using this. TIA.

Just to add to the app mix, check out the Blurb app, for those ride reports. Still photos, videos, captioning, pretty cool app. Oh, and Tapatalk for your ADVrider addiction.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:49 AM   #204
Tail Gunner
Life is Good !!!

Oddometer: 1,601
If your itouch is jailbroken then there are some Apps to tether your itouch to a phone. I have mine tethered to my blackberry. You also might just consider getting a iphone.
06 BMW RTP - BLACK & WHITE
Meet & Greet Thursdays 6pm
Tail Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:13 AM   #205
dpifko
Can u smell the It's Its?

Oddometer: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchmeister View Post
Anybody with an iPod Touch using a mobile wifil hotspot? I've got a 4th gen Touch, does all the app stuff but is wifi only. I'm considering getting this Verizon wifi hotspot to enable use of the Touch where no wifi, but 3g, is available. Just wondering if any of the ADV inmates are using this. TIA.

Just to add to the app mix, check out the Blurb app, for those ride reports. Still photos, videos, captioning, pretty cool app. Oh, and Tapatalk for your ADVrider addiction.
It works but, from ease-of-use, financial and a space-saving perspectives, it makes more sense to grab an iPhone. You need to spend $100 anyway to get the radio, so for a few bucks more you can have the whole enchilada. You won't have to worry about powering extra gear and you can always whip out the phone from your jacket pocket at a gas station/stoplight/moose crossing without powering the mifi up. If you want to use additional devices (e.g. your laptop) you can get a tethering plan from your carrier. Unfortunately, the iPod touch isn't really well suited to going long.

Daniel

AVAILABLE NOW - ANDROID version: Greatest Drive
dpifko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:30 AM   #206
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpifko View Post
It works but, from ease-of-use, financial and a space-saving perspectives, it makes more sense to grab an iPhone. You need to spend $100 anyway to get the radio, so for a few bucks more you can have the whole enchilada. You won't have to worry about powering extra gear and you can always whip out the phone from your jacket pocket at a gas station/stoplight/moose crossing without powering the mifi up. If you want to use additional devices (e.g. your laptop) you can get a tethering plan from your carrier. Unfortunately, the iPod touch isn't really well suited to going long.

Daniel
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:40 PM   #207
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpifko View Post

Daniel
Well, I already bought the iPod Touch and work provides me with a ShitBerry, so I have no costs at all with the Touch. I'm a cheap bastard but LOVE the Touch (and your App, Greatest Road.... very well done). I suppose with the MiFi radio I have to buy the radio unit then sign on to some screw job plan, so I am still debating this. I don't pull it out at moose stops (usually busy with cameras, at best) and really would only have the Touch along on a tour/ trip where I'm motel-ing it. Rallies, etc., usually have WiFi spots and there is always the ubiquitous Starbucks, etc.

But Jesus, an iPhone plan is a LOT of money for a cheap bastard with a free ShitBerry plan. Wish I could make my ShitBerry into a wifi hotspot for the Touch!
Old 05-09-2011, 12:50 PM   #208
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail Gunner View Post
If your itouch is jailbroken then there are some Apps to tether your itouch to a phone. I have mine tethered to my blackberry. You also might just consider getting a iphone.
Any more info on how to do this? I have a BBerry, work pays the plan. What's involved in jailbreaking? Sounds illegal
Old 05-09-2011, 07:27 PM   #209
motohermano
ADV Rider

Oddometer: 38
IPad mapping capability?

Sorry about jumping subjects from iPhone to iPad but....has anyone figured out how to use an iPad together with Garmin Roadtrip to design routes and tracks on an iPad then move them to a Garmin GPS, specifically the 276c?
motohermano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:03 AM   #210
dpifko
Can u smell the It's Its?

Oddometer: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchmeister View Post
Any more info on how to do this? I have a BBerry, work pays the plan. What's involved in jailbreaking? Sounds illegal
Ok, I've been doing a bit of digging on this one.

First off, jailbreaking is a way of circumventing the limitations on apps that Apple puts on its iOS devices. It allows you to do two things, primarily:

- install apps that won't pass Apple's guidelines, including apps that access certain features/parts of the phone (e.g. tethering outside of the carrier's offerings) and apps that belong in Jo momma or Toxic Britney

- install apps that are cracked and stolen

Jailbreaking is legal in the US thanks to a court decision.

It's not hard to do, but it's a pain in the butt. You'll get limited support from the cowboy apps, and almost none from Apple. Plus, upgrading to the latest release from Apple may or may not turn your iPod touch into a brick, and some legit apps will not work on jailbroken phones (intentionally, by the developer).

I'm not 100% sure if there are some features of jailbroken phones that will stop Greatest Road from working somehow. We see that only 5% of phones are jailbroken and, with the app being free for a limited time, there's less incentive for people to steal it. (and, by the way, thanks for the kudos on Greatest Road. We appreciate it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail Gunner
Which apps do you use to make this happen?

The only setup I found was using iBluever (http://www.if0rce.com/en/ibluever/ ) and it seems hacky and unreliable. This guy could only keep a connection for 3 minutes and eventually dropped it and went iPhone (though you could probably also go with Android): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKRC4-CHFGo

SO, all that said, I think your only choices are:

1. Use the Verizon MiFi, or
2. Convince your work to switch you to iPhone or Android. Maybe if you pick up the cost of the phone itself they'll give in to the tide ;-).

Daniel

AVAILABLE NOW - ANDROID version: Greatest Drive
dpifko is offline   Reply With Quote