Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2011, 12:11 PM   #106
kimel
I hit what?

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenniSMC View Post
It's called the Aqua Box. It's not the greatest, but it keeps the phone dry. And you can operate it in the case.
Hey Dennis, not to add to the debacle here but was about to buy an Aqua Box but saw this on the RAM Aqua Box page "Apple iPhone and iPod touch screens are not operable through the RAM Flex Lens while in the Aqua Box."

http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResu...5/Default.aspx

Does your Aqua Box let you control the iPhone and maybe they just haven't updated their page?
kimel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:49 PM   #107
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimel View Post
Hey Dennis, not to add to the debacle here but was about to buy an Aqua Box but saw this on the RAM Aqua Box page "Apple iPhone and iPod touch screens are not operable through the RAM Flex Lens while in the Aqua Box."

http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResu...5/Default.aspx

Does your Aqua Box let you control the iPhone and maybe they just haven't updated their page?
I just tried a new Ipod touch in my GPS aqua box and it worked altough not as well.
I also tried it with gloves on and it'll still work but poorly. Would be frustrating and get old quickly. With no aqua box and just gloves it'll work, but again not very well.

Hope this helps..

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:53 PM   #108
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
It's not that, the Otterbox allows me to charge/plug in headphones without removal. I'm trying to find a cable to go from my backup battery to the Iphone without removing the Otterbox.
The battery plugs into the bottom of the phone, just like a power cord, but the connection on the battery is not long enough. Ergo, a cable is needed, male into phone and female into battery.
I know I'm not explaining this right. Pics later.

1911fan
I have a USB outlet wired from a fuse box and I can charge the Itouch through it. Have you considered that?

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:00 PM   #109
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

Oddometer: 5,697
It works. But not as smooth. But it does work. I use my other mount 90% of the time. I keep a sandwich bag on me and if it rains I put the phone in the bag. And then put it back in the mount. It works best in the baggy. But if the weather is real bad. Or I plan to off road. The aqua box is what I use. So if I crash or if it's really dusty, the phone is protected.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:34 PM   #110
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
I have a USB outlet wired from a fuse box and I can charge the Itouch through it. Have you considered that?
Not really, I've just been looking for a way to use the backup battery. Assuming I was away from any power sources, which is when I would need the battery, I was looking for a cabe to connect the two. Didn't realize it was called a 'dock extender cable' until dpifko posted the link.
BTW, my Iphone is abused regularly. THis afternoon, I dropped it from about three feet onto frozen concrete. ( I was trying to run a ballistic program with frozen fingers.) No damage, which is just another reason I'm really happy I got the Otterbox the first week I had the phone.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #111
dpifko
Can u smell the It's Its?

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
Not really, I've just been looking for a way to use the backup battery. Assuming I was away from any power sources, which is when I would need the battery, I was looking for a cabe to connect the two. Didn't realize it was called a 'dock extender cable' until dpifko posted the link.
BTW, my Iphone is abused regularly. THis afternoon, I dropped it from about three feet onto frozen concrete. ( I was trying to run a ballistic program with frozen fingers.) No damage, which is just another reason I'm really happy I got the Otterbox the first week I had the phone.

1911fan
I'm a big fan of answering the question asked. Who knows - maybe you're using the iPod while out wandering the moors by foot. That said, if you're going to be using an iWhichever on a motorcycle, getting something that powers it from the bike is absolutely the way to go. There are many different options depending on where you're going to put it and what plug you want to use.

Daniel

AVAILABLE NOW - ANDROID version: Greatest Drive
dpifko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:29 AM   #112
mike wright
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
It looks cool. I wonder why it costs so much.
Its worth the money I used it alot and the functionality is really good. Theres a good overview here

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/iphone-app/
Old 01-05-2011, 05:40 AM   #113
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

I am doing a track day in Florida at the end of the month. Maybe I will give it a try.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:31 AM   #114
Ron from BC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,358
Not a Multi Tasker App?

I thought I'd try it yesterday but when I ended the test ride I found that the ride data had stopped at about the same time I got an in call on the cell.

'If' that's the case you may want to turn off the cell capability in Settings prior to logging your ride.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:36 AM   #115
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron from BC View Post
I thought I'd try it yesterday but when I ended the test ride I found that the ride data had stopped at about the same time I got an in call on the cell.

'If' that's the case you may want to turn off the cell capability in Settings prior to logging your ride.
But will it work in airplane mode? Or is there another way to turn the phone off?
Old 01-05-2011, 08:13 AM   #116
atrain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron from BC View Post

I read in the reviews of the app that in order for the tracking to work this app has to stay active. No pressing the home button or answering calls. Should be OK for track days, but if you need to use your iPhone for something else during a ride, then not so much.
atrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:22 AM   #117
dpifko

Quote:
But will it work in airplane mode? Or is there another way to turn the phone off?
Good question. Airplane mode disables both the phone radio and the GPS receiver, so that's not going to work. I don't know of a way of turning off just the phone receiver and leaving the GPS on. Anyone?

Old 01-05-2011, 12:03 PM   #118
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

TrackR does alot of what this program does. But it does it even when on the phone. I use it to track my road trips. It does speeds, times and maps your progress for you and others to see if you wish. And it cost $3.99. No added on fees. Its more of a spot, but could be used on the track too. I will test it at Jennings at the end of the month. I will test both. Below is a link of my New Years Day Ride. It was nice for PA.

http://livetrackr.com/user/dennis190...rs-Ride-1/1/11

Its neat. Very nice for $4.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:20 PM   #119
mike wright
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
TrackR does alot of what this program does. But it does it even when on the phone. I use it to track my road trips. It does speeds, times and maps your progress for you and others to see if you wish. And it cost $3.99. No added on fees. Its more of a spot, but could be used on the track too. I will test it at Jennings at the end of the month. I will test both. Below is a link of my New Years Day Ride. It was nice for PA.

http://livetrackr.com/user/dennis190...rs-Ride-1/1/11

Its neat. Very nice for $4.
Thats a nice bit of software but for international travel it could work out expensive unless you have a very good data plan.

Are there any costs involved?
trackr! is FREE for personal use. The mobile data connection provider might bill you for data traffic.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:25 PM   #120
dpifko

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wright View Post
Thats a nice bit of software but for international travel it could work out expensive unless you have a very good data plan.

Are there any costs involved?
trackr! is FREE for personal use. The mobile data connection provider might bill you for data traffic.
From the App Store page:

* Offline usage possible: disabling live tracking still saves your track information on your phone, without using potentially expensive cellular network connections to regularly save this data to the website. You can use this for example to avoid excessive roaming charges.

Looks like they have offline storage. That'll also come in handy for recording your trek in areas that are more remote or that have classically poor AT&T coverage.