Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2010, 05:53 AM   #61
Bob Southgate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
If only the cusotmer service from the factory warranty department was on a par with the bikes, but sadly, in my experience, it is not.

'12 K1600GT

'12 R1200GS Triple Black
Bob Southgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:29 AM   #62
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,655
I've had a good experience with the warranty folks when the clear coat started to peel on the gas tank of my Daytona 675. The new tank was approved, arrived, and installed within 10 days. Good stuff.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:45 AM   #63
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenngineer View Post
Innovative? No fucking way...a 800GS and a 1200RT clone does not innovative make. Great bikes, bikes I want to own, hell yeah, but not innovative.
Compare the price of the speed triple to the closest competition and tell me if their are innovative. BTW innovative is not exclusive to engineering but also manufacturing and production in the bike world. I wont even mention the Rocket, the Thunderbird offered with ABS at prices that are unbelievable, $13,999 and that's MSRP before negotiations. And since when is 2300cc three cylinder and a two cylinder parallel water cooled 1700cc and an new 800cc engine and 675cc middle fighter that rivals what the big six have to offer not innovative. Look, don't make me call you names, thinking, used it or lose it.

Capriccio.
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:59 PM   #64
Bob Southgate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
I've had a good experience with the warranty folks when the clear coat started to peel on the gas tank of my Daytona 675. The new tank was approved, arrived, and installed within 10 days. Good stuff.
Sadly I got the opposite when paint was flaking off several painted components on my second Sprint ST when it was less than a year old. The dealer backed my claim but the factory turned it down and told me I should follow the instructions in the manual on how to wash my bike.The fact my first Sprint ST was fine at 5 years old and with 35000 miles on the clock was lost on them.

'12 K1600GT

'12 R1200GS Triple Black
Bob Southgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:25 PM   #65
Travman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Ah but will it have the creature comforts that drew many of us (ok me) to the RT, heated grips, heated seat, electric windshield, on the fly adjustable suspension, enough electrical juice to power a small town. I tried the Sprint GT and thought the ergos were way to far to the sport side for me, knew it was not the bike for me a half mile down the road. This at least looks much more slanted towards the touring side but still needs those creature comforts.

2014 BMW R1200 GSA
2011 BMW R1200RT - gone
2008 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 - gone
Travman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:18 PM   #66
jstark47
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Triumph is first and foremost an engine company. They build great engines, they build OK bikes.

Heated grips- don't care. My wife has 'em on her F650GS and says hippo hands work better
Heated seat- no thanks. My core needs to be warm, not my ass.
Electric windshield- one more thing to break. I have a V-strom with a manually adjustable windshield. I adjusted it to the correct position for me when I bought the bike. That was 4 years ago, haven't touched it since.
Adjustable on the fly suspension- maybe if I had one I'd feel differently, but as far as I'm concerned, get the suspension set up right, then leave it be.
Excess alternator capacity- now that's something I'm on board with.

To me the R1200RT's greatest asset is its modest weight. The legacy Trophy didn't weigh much more. If Triumph makes a great-handling bike with hard cases included, decent protection and ergos, and a great triple engine, for a reasonable price, then they've nailed it. Everything else is just sauce.
jstark47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:22 PM   #67
BMR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstark47 View Post
Triumph is first and foremost an engine company. They build great engines, they build OK bikes.

Heated grips- don't care. My wife has 'em on her F650GS and says hippo hands work better
Heated seat- no thanks. My core needs to be warm, not my ass.
Electric windshield- one more thing to break. I have a V-strom with a manually adjustable windshield. I adjusted it to the correct position for me when I bought the bike. That was 4 years ago, haven't touched it since.
Adjustable on the fly suspension- maybe if I had one I'd feel differently, but as far as I'm concerned, get the suspension set up right, then leave it be.
Excess alternator capacity- now that's something I'm on board with.

To me the R1200RT's greatest asset is its modest weight. The legacy Trophy didn't weigh much more. If Triumph makes a great-handling bike with hard cases included, decent protection and ergos, and a great triple engine, for a reasonable price, then they've nailed it. Everything else is just sauce.
I will guess that you are in the minority with your outlook. The reason people buy "RT" type bikes is for the aforementioned goodies. The list of options all have their purpose. You go as far to suggest a fixed or manual adjustable windshield is preferable on this type of bike, which is not making much sense.
BMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:18 PM   #68
jstark47
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR View Post
I will guess that you are in the minority with your outlook. The reason people buy "RT" type bikes is for the aforementioned goodies. The list of options all have their purpose. You go as far to suggest a fixed or manual adjustable windshield is preferable on this type of bike, which is not making much sense.
RT type bikes existed long before the current round of electronic goodies. I'm suggesting I prefer a focus on riding fundamentals. I suspect I'm not alone. If luxury is the focus, buy a Goldwing. Or an Escalade.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:34 PM   #69
Sox Fan
SoxFan

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
RT type bikes existed long before the current round of electronic goodies. I'm suggesting I prefer a focus on riding fundamentals. I suspect I'm not alone. If luxury is the focus, buy a Goldwing. Or an Escalade.
The best thing about the RT is you have basically all the same goodies found on a Goldwing but with 200+ pounds less weight. All that heated stuff and wind protection I think makes me a better rider - I can focus purely on riding, not on trying to get feeling back in my fingers and whatnot when it's 35 degrees out.
1989 911
Sox Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:35 PM   #70
BMR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I guess the new Trophy will not be for you.

Actually you sound like a V Strom apologist, but I digress; You set your suspension once as you suggest, but the ability to adjust on the fly when adding a passenger, a load, removing the side bags etc is actually quite convenient....same for twisty canyon riding versus two up cruisng or off road riding. Riding in the rain, put the windshield up.... ride in the heat, put it down. Passengers seem to enjoy the heated seat option. Heated grips work very well, especially with the large ouput of the larger modern touring/sport touring bikes.

Triumph knows that to garner market share they will have to build comparable product, so I fully expect an option laden bike.

Luddite attitudes to justify your purchase are an outdated response on message boards.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:38 PM   #71
Sox Fan
SoxFan

[QUOTE

.Triumph knows that to garner market share they will have to build comparable product, so I fully expect an option laden bike

Luddite attitudes to justify your purchase are an outdated response on message boards.[/QUOTE]

Yup - the customer in this segment likely has owned something like a Goldwing or an RT already and is used to all the amenities. There is no way I would buy another touring motorcycle without heated grips or an adjustable windshield after owning an RT.
1989 911
Old 01-01-2011, 06:52 AM   #72
jstark47
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR View Post
I guess the new Trophy will not be for you.........
Luddite attitudes to justify your purchase are an outdated response on message boards.
Geez, I thought I was on ADV. Did I stumble onto some BMWOA fanboy board?

"Luddite attitudes to justify my purchase"? What purchase am I justifying? I haven't purchased anything in a while...... I know a fair number of folks who are ST riders, who are Triumph aficiondos, and who would consider a new ST bike from Triumph. I'm sharing what I understand as their priorities. Electrically adjustable windshields ain't so high on the list.

But it's all good, and there's certainly a place in the world for Goldwings...... and Goldwing clones.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:31 AM   #73
Sox Fan
SoxFan

Quote:

"Luddite attitudes to justify my purchase"? What purchase am I justifying? I haven't purchased anything in a while...... I know a fair number of folks who are ST riders, who are Triumph aficiondos, and who would consider a new ST bike from Triumph. I'm sharing what I understand as their priorities. Electrically adjustable windshields ain't so high on the list.

But it's all good, and there's certainly a place in the world for Goldwings...... and Goldwing clones.
Very true. There is certainly a market out there for a sport touring bike with a Triumph triple - I love the idea and would definitely consider one as a replacement for my RT. If it is as light as an RT and has a 1200+ cc triple - oh my.... I'm just not sure how big the market would be for one without "all the stuff".
1989 911
Old 01-01-2011, 07:55 AM   #74
ReCycled
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Lightweight and good all around performance are the keystones. But the comfy bits count too. I love heated grips when the temps dip unexpectedly and I knew after the first test ride on a bike with an electric windscreen that my next bike would have one.
ReCycled is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:24 AM   #75
BMR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

"Luddite attitudes to justify my purchase"? What purchase am I justifying? I haven't purchased anything in a while......
Happy New Year jstark

I was referring to what you already own, and how you seemingly used it as your comparison to a bike that will most likely have a lot of creature comfort options available or as standard fare. Any bike in this market segment (including the Trophy) would die a horrible death on the showroom floor if it did not have the aforementioned options available.

One thing we know for sure is that Triumph have been excellent lately at cloning a class leader.