Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2011, 12:27 PM   #46
Reverse
Armchair Tough

Oddometer: 1,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
Didnt really cover the "outer suit" at all. I thought this stuff was Goretex Proshell and shouldnt require two layers. Certainly like the idea of an outer jacket rather than the rediculous inner jacket of the older stuff, but it seems to me that the all in one option from Klim or Rukka is a still a better option.
All-in-one sucks in hot, humid climates.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:29 PM   #47
Reverse
Armchair Tough

For those interested in this type of suit, you may want to check out Olympia's X-Moto as well.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:12 PM   #48
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,303
interesting
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:41 PM   #49
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse View Post
All-in-one sucks in hot, humid climates.
I disagree with this from personal experience but YMMV.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:10 PM   #50
soph9
Bike Addict

I disagree too I mean we have the KLIM Traverse being Gore Tex jacket it has been great in the cold and I would believe with all the vents would do well in the summer too...all in one for us is the way to go especially for the H20 proofing....I hate liners but this suit being reviewed looks interesting even though the "rain liner" is on the outside....easier then having to put one on the inside.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:02 PM   #51
Reverse
Armchair Tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
I disagree too I mean we have the KLIM Traverse being Gore Tex jacket it has been great in the cold and I would believe with all the vents would do well in the summer too...all in one for us is the way to go especially for the H20 proofing....I hate liners but this suit being reviewed looks interesting even though the "rain liner" is on the outside....easier then having to put one on the inside.
No disrespect, but... you live in BC, not exactly a hot humid climate like the southern US for instance. I used to live in cooler, more northern climes, and never felt the need for mesh and other ventilation, but since moving to Georgia I definitely do

Venting in a GoreTex (or similar membrane) suit doesn't penetrate the membrane. Separate rainproof layer makes more sense here (like Olympia's X-Moto), so you get max venting. I am really not bothered by separate rainproof layer I need to put on over or under my existing suit. Now, if I lived in Oregon or Washington state, I might feel different :-)
Old 02-24-2011, 04:11 PM   #52
soph9
Bike Addict

yeah we live in BC but we travel to other areas that have high humidity...I will let you know after this summer if my theory is correct about the KLIM because we wore revit cayenne Pro jackets last summer cross country and although we survived the eastern heat wave i would not say we were vented better by having layers. Also when traveling only one jacket is all we take due to space....so a vented jacket would be a waste considering that even in the summer when traveling you can have temps drop in the mornings...so for one jacket what would you choose?

soph9 screwed with this post 02-24-2011 at 04:16 PM
Old 02-24-2011, 04:13 PM   #53
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse View Post
No disrespect, but... you live in BC, not exactly a hot humid climate like the southern US for instance. I used to live in cooler, more northern climes, and never felt the need for mesh and other ventilation, but since moving to Georgia I definitely do

Venting in a GoreTex (or similar membrane) suit doesn't penetrate the membrane. Separate rainproof layer makes more sense here (like Olympia's X-Moto), so you get max venting. I am really not bothered by separate rainproof layer I need to put on over or under my existing suit. Now, if I lived in Oregon or Washington state, I might feel different :-)
I feel the same way. I never, EVER felt the need for mesh or dual-layer clothing when I lived in BC and rode all up and down the west coast of North America and Mexico. It just doesn't get humid, at least not often enough to worry about.

Out east is a whole different story. Mesh is the only way I can ride during the summer now. The best vented Goretex Proshell jacket anywhere would still absolutely cook my insides, I'd wager, on a typical day anywhere in the East.

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:24 PM   #54
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
yeah we live in BC but we travel to other areas that have high humidity...I will let you know after this summer if my theory is correct about the KLIM because we wore revit cayenne Pro jackets last summer cross country and although we survived the eastern heat wave i would not say we were vented better by having layers. Also when traveling only one jacket is all we take due to space....so a vented jacket would be a waste considering that even in the summer when traveling you can have temps drop in the mornings...so for one jacket what would you choose?
Traveling in something and living in it, are two different animals. There is no way in hell I'd have a 100% waterproof suit if I lived somethere that sees lots of humidity. It's a totally different animal. Humidity is a killer.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:28 PM   #55
soph9
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon thomas View Post
Morning...

OK, here goes...we've just produced our first video review of the Companero suit and filmed it inside the walls of the Angkor Wat Temples here in Cambodia. We set up at around 5:30am and started filming at sun-up. It was so bloody hot and under the canopy of trees the humidity built up quickly.

I have to admit, that if the review sounds overly positive, well...it is! It's early days and time will tell if the suit in the long term is as good as it appears to be at the moment, but in terms of fit and rider comfort this is the best suit we've worn. It feels very different and less cumbersome than all of our previous suits and when you're in a suit for 8-hours plus a day, that's a big deal. I don't miss constantly having to pull up the pants on my old rally suit or feeling like a sack of potatoes with all the extra material around the waist because of the jacket cut and design.

Bear in mind this was all done pre-coffee in the morning.

Anyway hope you enjoy the video, the location was stunning. As always comments and piss-taking are welcome

Cheers
Simon
I guess we will have to see what these guys have to say about using this suit in the humidity. They seem to make a point about it being sso hot and humid while filming this video....so...when they post again...how about revealing how this do it all suit handles in the HHH weather...
Old 02-24-2011, 08:31 PM   #56
simon thomas
www.2ridetheworld.com

Oddometer: 507
Companero

I'll have a go at answering a few of the questions as best i can:

Revererse: at the end of the day that's probably them most pertinent question. Right now I have to give you a tentative YES. Tentative only because we've not ridden in the outer suit yet. The suit, based on it's price is going to be a consideration for some, but if I were doing some serious riding and knew that I was going to be dealing with both extreme heat and extreme cold, needed to be super comfortable in both and protected...yeah I'd buy it. One of my big 'bug-bears' with previous suits we've worn has always been the water-proof liner. As son as the rain hits, it feels like you swimming in a sack of water, add to this the the cold and the wind chill effect and no goretex membrane is going to keep you warm.

I mention it in the video, just how comfortable and how well this suit fits me. Like I said, all the neat, functionality aside if any suit doesn't make you feel good, or worse makes you feel like a sack of potatoes every time you put it on, you're more than likely not going to buy it let alone wear it.

My thinking is that if I'm happy to spend $600 plus on a helmet, which will likely get trashed after one good fall, then sure, I'll spend the extra cash for something taht covers my entire body and that will directly effect both my comfort, enjoyment and riding safety.

Soph9

Hi Soph9, "doing this for a living",...I think i just need to be clear...we don't! What a great job that would be, but unfortunately we don;t make a living from our journey. Basically we're just travelers, we've just managed to travel longer than most. We have no financial sponsors and no-one pays us to travel. Compared to our very meager incomings we haemorrhage money most months. We make a few bucks with an occasional magazine article and occasionally sell a few photos, but that's about it, hence our lifestyle. We sleep in a tent, not hotels, food is from the market which we cook as opposed to eating out etc. If someone can tell us how to make a living from our experience I'm all ears.

The suits we are wearing are pre-production, I don't think the suits are available just yet.

mrt10x Nope we didn't cover the outer suit. It's 110deg+ and 90% humidity here and so sliding on the outer suit, didn't seem like a great idea! Just to cover the basics then: In the video we are wearing the warm weather and main riding suit. It's made from a air-flow type material and the body Armour is mounted into this suit. The separate over suit (jacket and trousers) in appearance is similar to the warm weather inner suit but is 100% water-proof. When the weather turns, becomes cold or wet, this is when you'd throw over the outer-suit. The water-proof outer suit is also however vented, so if you are riding in humid condition and in between downpours you can unzip the vents, get the air moving through the suit and cool down. With a conventional gor-tex liner this isn't an option, once the liner is in, it's in, and riding in south America or any humid or tropical regions is going to see you expire from the heat and humidity. You sweat so profusely that you end up wetter inside the suit, than you would have been if you not installed the goretex when the rain hit. I'm talking from first hand experience.

I'm looking forward to pulling over and out of the rain and 'not having' to pull into my tent or motel room a dripping wet riding suit!

From our perspective an all-in-one-suit deal, based on todays technology would just be a compromise. Any 'one', single layer suit, that keeps you warm on the cold days, isn't going to keep you cool and comfortable when the temps soar and humidity goes up. The Companero is the best effort we've seen so far at addressing the full gamut of riding conditions that adventure riders face on a regular basis.

I'm reading some of the post here re the all-in-one versus the layer options and I think it important to mention that it's all personal preference. An all-in-one will be great if your normal riding conditions aren't too extreme. Like I said riding with a any kind of goretex based suit in 100+ temps with higher than usual humidity would be a killer. Goretex is a fantastic leap forward in material design technology but it's not that good. I personally like the idea of the rider having the choice of when to alter how the suit works to best accommodate his or her preference. We're riding in 110+ with high humidity and the warm inner suit has kept us cool. I know we'd have been way more uncomfortable in our previous suits, even without the liner installed.

Jim Williams "Traveling in something and living in it, are two different animals. There is no way in hell I'd have a 100% waterproof suit if I lived somewhere that sees lots of humidity. It's a totally different animal. Humidity is a killer. "

Jim Amen

As we head south and get hit with rain we'll film another episode to let you know if the suit holds up and how comfortable it is. Our hopes are high.

Cheers
Simon

simon thomas screwed with this post 02-25-2011 at 04:55 AM
simon thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:53 PM   #57
soph9
Bike Addict

thank you for being so thorough! Great info!
Old 02-25-2011, 03:49 AM   #58
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,131
In many ways, it does seem like this suit covers all the bases, but what happens when it's hot and raining? Is there also a thermal layer that zips into the summer layer that can come out? The claim is that the suit will do cold temps, but what happens when its like 80 and raining? Are you gonna cook?

This is reminding me more and more of my Halvarssons safety jacket with the optional outers. It is a cool concept. It would be basically the same thing if Halvarssons made the inner wearable on its own.

Interesting suit. Thanks for posting.
1971 Lambretta DL

levain screwed with this post 02-25-2011 at 04:05 AM
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:51 AM   #59
simon thomas
www.2ridetheworld.com

Oddometer: 507
Jim,

yeah. i do think the suit covers as many bases as a suit can realistically be asked to cover, but at the end of the day there will always be a set of climatic conditions that we surpass any suits ability to kepp you feeling warm and fuzzy. Hot and rainy,...I'm guessng undo the vents gets some of that warm air moving through the suit and count your blessing it's not freezing and that your not riding into a hailstorm.

At the risk of sounding like Touatech PR dept, this suits claims to be amongst the best out there, we all know there is no perfect suit. Kind'a like there is no perfect wave but that could be my 3rd vodka and coke talking

re cold temps, with all the adjustment in the body, arms and trousers, you can easily expand the suit to allow for additonal layers, thermal gear, electric vest etc under the water-proof outer shell if needs must.

Cheers
Simon
Old 02-28-2011, 02:56 AM   #60
Terence FFM
prof. cat-herder

Oddometer: 364
second kidney still safe

Well, I dropped by Tom's Motorrad Shop again on Friday. Lots and lots of boxes still only the one Stadler hanging on the wall. The Stadler - Touratech affiliation must be rubbing off, because without saying so much, there must be some delays with the new product. "Try middle of April," was the latest reply.

On the plus side, they had some Armas stuff on display. Nice, but for 950 Euro (jacket) and 700 Euro (pants), I don't it's the right suit for my needs. That is a LOT of money and for 1650 Euro, I except to make fewer concessions than the Armas would force me to make.

That means I have two more months to save up my Euro Pennies in case the Stadler is right. If not, I think I will be taking a long hard look at the Klim Adventure pants and maybe pairing them up with a different manufacturer's jacket since the Adventure jacket is overkill for me.