ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
JonnyCash OP
turd polisher
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Midcoast, Maine
Oddometer: 1,422
Guzzi ignition distributor differences?

I just watched a guy get an awful lot of money on ebay for a guzzi T3 distributor. He distinguished it by saying it was an "A code" distributor, and pictured the code stamped on the body of the distributor. I hadn't heard of different variations. I went and checked my stash, and it turns out that I have two "B"code distributors, and one "A". Do they have a different advance curve? Is one more desirable than the other? Thanks for any input.
__________________
I wouldn't bring her home to Mama, but Mama ain't home tonight.
JonnyCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
F_Sahms
mostly paved
 
F_Sahms's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCash View Post
I just watched a guy get an awful lot of money on ebay for a guzzi T3 distributor. He distinguished it by saying it was an "A code" distributor, and pictured the code stamped on the body of the distributor. I hadn't heard of different variations. I went and checked my stash, and it turns out that I have two "B"code distributors, and one "A". Do they have a different advance curve? Is one more desirable than the other? Thanks for any input.
The Le Mans and 850T bikes have a different advance curve. Per Guzziology, it's all in the advance springs, which are cheap.
__________________
Life's too short.
F_Sahms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:05 AM   #3
JonnyCash OP
turd polisher
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Midcoast, Maine
Oddometer: 1,422
Thanks. Funny that the whole distributor would get a different number when only the springs are different.
__________________
I wouldn't bring her home to Mama, but Mama ain't home tonight.
JonnyCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:20 AM   #4
F_Sahms
mostly paved
 
F_Sahms's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCash View Post
Thanks. Funny that the whole distributor would get a different number when only the springs are different.
The part numbers on the springs are too small to read..
__________________
Life's too short.
F_Sahms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:07 AM   #5
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Berkshire, England. Just off the Beaten Track!
Oddometer: 3,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by F_Sahms View Post
The part numbers on the springs are too small to read..

England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #6
Nessman
Cluttered Minimalist
 
Nessman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Everett, WA
Oddometer: 1,563
What Fred said...
The 850T had lighter springs to make the engine hit full advance sooner. Dave Richardson (Guzziology) and local legend Bob Nolan (RIP Bob ) took both types apart and measured everything as only those two could. At the end of the exercise the springs were the only difference.

My EV1100 motor is going to have an 850T dizzy if I ever get around to putting it together.
__________________
'07 Bandit 1250ABS
Nessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014