Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2010, 05:17 PM   #16
KLRscoob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
If you want the wow difference go HID. With the HID's installed my low beam is now brighter than my High beam was with the silverstar's. They pull less current and are a super easy install. Try DDM, they have a set of the motorcycle units with slim ballast at like $60 bucks.

In honor of Gregory N. Millard
Son - Brother - Hero
KLRscoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:22 AM   #17
mAthosalas OP
Costas

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVSearcher

What about the safety argument for the orange thing with the MotoVision then ...
Look at them indtalled on my x-Vstrom

There,I had better result,better lighting for sure.As for the optical difference,I could see an orange lighting down of the light,not on the road only on Vstrom's light.They say that is better looking,more visible for human eye,that is the reason you are more visible on the road from other drivers.
Hope it's help you Q)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRscoob
Try DDM, they have a set of the motorcycle units with slim ballast at like $60 bucks.
Give please a link,is that easy?thanks

mAthosalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 05:33 AM   #18
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRscoob
If you want the wow difference go HID. With the HID's installed my low beam is now brighter than my High beam was with the silverstar's.
What do you use for oncoming traffic now your low beam is so bright?

The light source in an HID capsule is a completely different shape to a halogen globe filament; quite apart from the extra light, you inevitably send light places it shouldn't be going, glaring oncoming traffic even on low beam. That's why HID conversions of halogen lights are illegal.
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:00 AM   #19
Roy1980
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
the orange glow in the motovision bulbs are not really to see more on the road. it's meant to make motorcycles more visible in traffic.

when riding at night in busy traffic, a single small motorcycle headlight is often overlooked through all the car headlights.
the orange glow makes the motorcycle to stand out of the crowd and get's other drivers attention.
Roy1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:56 PM   #20
KLRscoob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
I dont know how it is effecting the other drivers, I do know that I am very rarely flashed by oncoming traffic letting me know the lights are too bright. As far as the police, my philosophy is simple, if I get pulled over for having lights that are too bright, then they did their job, I got noticed! When riding I want to be safe, and if having extremely bright lights gets me noticied than so be it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepeqez
What do you use for oncoming traffic now your low beam is so bright?

The light source in an HID capsule is a completely different shape to a halogen globe filament; quite apart from the extra light, you inevitably send light places it shouldn't be going, glaring oncoming traffic even on low beam. That's why HID conversions of halogen lights are illegal.

In honor of Gregory N. Millard
Son - Brother - Hero
KLRscoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:28 PM   #21
mAthosalas OP
Costas

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy1980
the orange glow in the motovision bulbs are not really to see more on the road. it's meant to make motorcycles more visible in traffic..
that is exactly what I could not describe better,thanks.

mAthosalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #22
IQm3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Heat buildup?

Does anyone have problems with heat building up inside the lamp, after changing the original H7 bulbs for a high-intensity aftermarket bulb?
IQm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #23
scarygary
Drawing blanks

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQm3 View Post
Does anyone have problems with heat building up inside the lamp, after changing the original H7 bulbs for a high-intensity aftermarket bulb?
I can not say what was the cause of this melting since I bought the bike used. It had H7 55 watt lamps when I got it. But you be the judge and take your chances with high output bulbs in the plastic reflector housing. Btw: the headlight housing is priced at $400+ to replace.

scarygary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #24
BcDano
One Lucky Dude

Oddometer: 297
1 off HID

I'm in the process of upgrading the lighting on our GS's. After looking at all the bulb choices and not being overly impressed I decided to go the HID route. Very happy with the results. Its not just the brightness of the light but the color. It really catches your eye. Very nice kit and super easy to install.

http://www.1offmotorsports.com/Produ...2008-2011.html
BcDano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:38 AM   #25
Hicks
der Überluber

Oddometer: 457
guys I have totally destroyed headlight by homologated 55w osram nightbreaker.

will post pics when I get to the office

Hicks screwed with this post 03-30-2012 at 07:45 AM
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:20 AM   #26
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,991
I installed a Sylvania/Osram SilverStar when my stock high beam lamp burned out.
Since the Sylvania was rated at the same 55W of power I "assumed" (yes ... I know) that it would not make the headlight housing any hotter than the OEM bulb ....
Some might think that if it's brighter light and the same input power that it would actually run cooler ....

Anyway .... I can see "tarnishing" of the high-beam reflector above the bulb...

I wonder if it is really the Sylvania bulb's fault???
The High beam cavity is very small ... perhaps it retains too much heat?
I think I have heard of several folks with problem using just stock H7s ???

JRWooden screwed with this post 03-30-2012 at 09:39 AM
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #27
IQm3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarygary View Post
I can not say what was the cause of this melting since I bought the bike used. It had H7 55 watt lamps when I got it. But you be the judge and take your chances with high output bulbs in the plastic reflector housing. Btw: the headlight housing is priced at $400+ to replace.

When my bike was new I have exactly that same problem, so I went to the BMW dealer and they exchange it (guaranty). Since then I haven’t had any problem with the original bulbs and the lamp assembly.

But I still think that the newer more efficient halogen bulbs have more to offer than the stock ones. So I came across the HELLA Xenon Premium H7 bulbs. HELLA claims that this bulbs, at the same nominal output (55W 12V), will give up to 80% more life and up to 50% more light. So far the more light part has been true. But I feel that this bulb might be emitting more heat that the stock one.

This weekend I am conducting some field testing about all of this and next week I will post the results.

If any one have some insights on this subject please let me know.

Happy and safe ridding everyone…
IQm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:06 AM   #28
Hicks
der Überluber

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQm3 View Post
output (55W 12V), will give up to 80% more life and up to 50% more light. So far the more light part has been true.
yep.. but not by 50%.. there are norms permitting only a slight better light output.

Some guy in our CZ forum even measured that with some calibrated device.

But still.. it's a clear difference compared to the stock bulbs.

I use this, they claim it has 90+ output.. it's a nonsense.. but still, I love 'em:

Old 03-31-2012, 07:21 AM   #29
malloy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
In addition to ruining the reflecting surface inside the headlight housing, a bulb with too much wattage or too hot no matter the wattage, can melt the headlight connector plug.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:58 PM   #30
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,991
I'm still trying to figure this out ...
for bulbs with a published power draw of 55W that all meet the H7 "standard" i.e. a halogen-style bulb,
is it possible that some run significantly hotter than others while still only drawing 55W and yet putting out the same amount of light or more?

Seems like some laws of physics might be violated ...
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote