Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2010, 02:06 AM   #1
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 734
I'm an Idiot ( El Paso to Enterprise Al. )

So the story goes like this.... ... my friends say I have a Buell Ulysses and a bunch of Junk bikes.. I can't help it... I like bikes built in the 70's... and I ride them.... not like really ride them or anything.... but we took my 4 550 Honda's to Mexico from Alabama... cause we could...

Basically I've developed a reputation among my car guy pals for being a sucker for Junk.... .... So Todd drops me an e-mail one day about bailing on his Toaster tank BMW... it's an R60/5...

I'm thinking Cool it's a 70's Motorcycle... made in Germany...black tires... there in lies the true extent of my knowledge about Bimmers.... We chat it up over a few days and I mention riding it home... he questions my sanity and recommends a pick up.... Hmmm I'm thinking Todd's just ahhh what's the word... Reluctant to ride... ya know a panty waist... Hmmm ..... Todd would add at this point that he's a thinking man... and while the bike is fairly nice... it's a 70's scooter with 80k on the clock and generally not been ridden much in the last few years..... though it's got new tires and a recent service... ( two years ago is recent right??? )

We strike up a deal and I start making plans.... Man Thanksgiving is a tough time of the year to travel... so my choice was to add 60 bucks to the cost of the Plane ticket and I could fly in 10 days...... plus timing wise it would put me on the road 10 days out of the mad rush right on Turkey day.

10 days to get my gear together and sort out the "how" I'm going to fly and ride this home... the bike is a roaster and I wanted a windscreen ... and some kind of luggage... so I go over to Stormy's Garage here in Enterprise... sort through his Junk... find a pair of Extra Fancy Pirate style Leather bags.... ( with the soon to be removed leather fringe )... and order up one of the Super Deluxe handy dandy extra Cheapo 24 X 24 windscreens...

Wed. 17 Nov 10..... I get up at 3 am and take off for the Montgomery airport.....

Life was looking up till I went to check in my 3 bags ( windscreen in the box and the saddle bags ).... and the Delta Check-in hero wanted 25 for the first bag and 35 bucks each for the second two..... Hmmm How can I make this better?... how bout I duct tape the bags together making it one and I just pay for it that way.... the Delta guys says... how bout I just Comp you the bag's and we forget about it.... ( I wish we had a Smiley for laying the guy down and licking his face like a dog ).... Great.... I'm on an airplane flying to El Paso Texas.... to buy a motorcycle I've never seen and ride it to Enterprise Al.

Only part of the flights worth mentioning is the Fat lady next to me that I TOTALLY ignored the Entire flight to El Paso.... Despite her 17 attempts to engage me in conversation.... being a really chatty guy... I just couldn't for the life of me decide what we could possibly have in common and I knew I needed to sleep a bit... ( I was polite... but that could have been brutal )... Oh and on Check in... I was HOPING the Cute TSA girl wanted to do the Junk Check.... no such luck for the dumpy married white male...

Okay so I get there... grab my stuff and Todd picks me up...and introduces me to the scooter.... Nice exactly as described....only maybe a bit better.... he undersold it a bit while trying to convince me that this whole ride thing was a bit of a stretch... we take 30 minutes to mount the wind screen.... I jump on... ride it around the parking lot and put my bags on mount up and head off into the sunset.... it's just after 2pm El Paso Time...

Todd doing the windscreen thing

First stop is the Harley Dealer to pick up the cup holder.... Gotta love them guys for having all the Ultra Classic Cup Holders.... ( or not )...

KeithTurk screwed with this post 11-23-2010 at 08:09 AM
KeithTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:19 AM   #2
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

Ya might take a minute and start evaluating the windsreens location as it changes through out the ride..... mostly cause it's not the Ultra Classic Windscreen but it's the wide glide special... the XL of the El Cheapo line...

My first forray into the ever changing windscreen proved to be the most enlighting .... not 10 miles out of El Paso... it started to depart company.... seems the head wind on a screen of this nature is a bit dislodging... in other words... the right side simply lifted straight up and off while the left held it's own and fought back.... Imagine 60 mph and trying to use a hand to steer and one to hold the screen that is flopping around in your face....

Somewhere in there a cuss word surfaced... hmm

KeithTurk screwed with this post 11-24-2010 at 01:52 PM
Old 11-22-2010, 03:39 AM   #3
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,379
this is leading up to an exciting blow by blow trip report.
Thanks for taking the time to bring us along.

A '00 KLR 650 38,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 75,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:10 AM   #4
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

hey Andy thanks for coming.... You'll enjoy the Jenning's La. part of this fiasco...
Old 11-22-2010, 04:22 AM   #5
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

If you guys are hard core BMW folks.... I have to warn you...the start of this is going to be brutally honest... and may leave you sitting agast.... I'd recommend reading it all cause I eventually come around....

Just out of the box...the bike is a lot like a motorcycle... only slower...and the handling is simply different... The 4 speed transmission has the distinct feeling of say... a Massey Ferguson tractor.,,,,( only I expect the Massey is a bit smoother )....

I'm not really getting this whole BMW love affair just yet.... I'd joined the Vintage BMW website and mentioned my trip.... only one person really got into the trip side of this thing..... and he was a moderator there.... ( turned out to be a really nice guy who offered assistance along the way ).... Point being nobody really got it..... ( bet they know the correct color of the centerstand from the factory in 1947 though )

So... back to the report...
Old 11-22-2010, 04:51 AM   #6
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

My real intention this first day was to get away from El Paso, not really to make mileage... but to simply get on the road...

Fits and starts... I'd travel 10 miles or so and stop and re-adjust the damn wind screen.... it was okay when it was tight.... but a truck would come by and Blast the thing away... and it'd go to wobbling.... HUGE PIA.... So I'm riding along and it's getting dark early out here... Starting looking for a camp site.... ( read Motel 6 )

I'm by myself and don't have a soul to impress... There are somethings that go on here that are worth mentioning.... Like I said earlier I'm a happy go lucky sort of fella.. most willing to enage in light banter with most folks.... so this trip is about enjoying myself... not taking life to seriously and relaxing.... I'm not on a time schedule and it's got to last me through the winter.. ( you'll get it well before then )..... it's deep into the 30's at night so Camping is out of the question.... as it would be on 70 degree nights..... 20yrs as an Apache puke in the Army taught me all I ever wanted to know about camping..... give me a motel 6 with Hot and cold running Maids Every time.... ( okay I dig ride reports with Camping... )

First stop Van Horn Texas....120 miles down the road.... but several cool things are happening already..... Mostly it's COOL.... and I seem to have brought the right gear for that.... Catch a WhatABurger at the local coral and have what amounts to a Heartattack Sandwich.....and Fries... grab a 12 pack of diet coke and Crash.... at 7pm..... I'm going to regret this.. but I'm old and tired....

My first pic on the road.... note here that I'm Not a photographer.... what these guys like Luc and Colebatch do... it's freaking magical.... I'm a complete and udder hack and quite happy being such....

KeithTurk screwed with this post 01-12-2011 at 09:31 AM
Old 11-22-2010, 09:11 AM   #7
Ramage
needs improvement

Oddometer: 204
I have a feeling this is going to get interesting.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:13 PM   #8
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

After going to bed at 7pm from both boredom and exhaustion.... I wake up at 2 in the morning.... refreshed and rested.... but it's dark outside and I really didn't want to ride much at night.... after 3hrs of puttering around I finally crawled on the scooter and took off ..... it was around 35 degree's outside and I'm a southern boy with a severe aversion to white stuff and cold in general..... ( god said I shouldn't play north of the no smile line and he also said all real cars have 4 speeds.... trust me on this... I asked him )

I literally was wearing everything I had with me..... long pants, Long underwear, thin and thick socks, tee shirts... ( long and short sleeve ) sweatshirt, mesh riding jacket with water proof outer wear.... I looked like the Pillsbury dough-boy.... only fatter.... the next big issue was throwing my leg up enough to get on the scooter... oh and I was wearing my snow mobile gloves with waterproof protectors.... and a Baklava ....

I should mention at this point that the EveryReady Battery.. wasn't....so it's a kick start only option.... You'll notice German Engineering at it's finest here locating said, kicker hooker doo on the Left side of the Motor.... ( I have no idea... but there ya go... )

Nobody every told me not to leave the thing on it's side stand and oil flowed into the down side chamber... Now that I know better everyone that has ever owned one of these has informed me of the maledy .... so she smokes like a Banshee when left on her side stand.... ( Jiffy stand for you Harley geeks ) Kick stand for everyone not involved with the MSF course...

Here's is one of my favorite pictures.... I'd gotten on I-10 and wanted to make some time.... just put some miles down..... so off I rode into the freezing cold darkness.... Did I mention it was COLD yet???? I know ... I'm a woose .... I'm okay with it....it was Cold damn it and I'm manipulating this chicken....

Might not look like Much... but that there is SUNRISE... I've long held a reverence for Sunrises.... Basically while Sunset's get all the glory... they only allow you to define the day... Sunrises provide the promise of the day to come....

Old 11-22-2010, 05:24 PM   #9
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithTurk

Might not look like Much... but that there is SUNRISE... I've long held a reverence for Sunrises.... Basically while Sunset's get all the glory... they only allow you to define the day... Sunrises provide the promise of the day to come....

Well said.
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:06 PM   #10
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks... I really do like Sunrises.... my favorite place is coming out of Impound at Bonneville for the return runs in the morning.... you get out on the salt in the Dark and the Sunrises while you prep your junk.... Impressive stuff... Just know that is one happy place... very serious and full of promise... I wish everyone could experience it...

Anyway so the second day was devoted to miles... and while someone once said "highways are the best way to cross the USA and never see it "...( Charles Kuralt I think )... I'd have to disagree.... I was really digging the bike and the pace.... 65-70mph just a whittling away the miles.... went from mile marker 140 to Mile 575 in San Antonio.... just a nice day.... relaxed... let my mind wander and genuinely enjoyed the changing scenery.... went from Mountains early in the day to flat limitless terrain.... The sights and smells were awesome....and ahhh well not quite as awesome ... just had to get my head around someone thinking a Cattle truck Smelled like Money to them...

Nice Nice day....

KeithTurk screwed with this post 11-22-2010 at 07:39 PM
Old 11-22-2010, 06:18 PM   #11
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 3 started in San Antonio and led me into Houston to visit a friend who's wife had undergone brain surgery on Tues to remove a tumor... ( no biopsy results yet but they are hopeful ) She was already home and kicking ass... she was truly looking dapper....

While on my way into Houston I started having an issue..... the bike would just cut off and then start running again.... it wasn't a full electrical failure.. so I randomly diagnosed the points as an issue... turned out they were closed down to around .008 so I opened them up and the bike became semi happy again....

Then it just started running out of power.... it simply wouldn't take full throttle.... and while I wanted to blame the points they seemed to be where I'd set them.... so I turned to the fuel delivery system..... Flowed Fuel out of the lines... so I pulled the float bowls and they had some trash in them.... HMMMM HMMMM so off came the carb's and yep... the main jets were stuffed full of Red Silicone........ cleaned them out and road to a parts store to get some filters...

Hard to see in that last picture but I tried to capture the Jet itself clogged with Red Silicone..... the Jet has a single main hole that comes down and flares into 4 seperate holes to deliver the fuel...it was in that 4 into 1 transition it was just choked... Still wasn't 100% happy but it was Better....
Old 11-22-2010, 06:19 PM   #12
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
I'm likin this.
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:29 PM   #13
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

So we ride on semi slowly into Houston.... and on to Bob's house.... He's a fella that sought me out and requested some counsel on how to build a Successful Bonneville car... and then was willing to listen..... VERY bright man... PhD from MIT ...... guy turned out to be a good friend.... you'll see how good in a minute....but lets take just a second and enjoy his passion....

Bob is into Tiny Road Racing Motorcycles... and I'm genuinely disappointed that I can't share the true significance of each of these.... they are some truly incredible works of Art..... ( or Jewelery as he prefers ) You might recognize the 50cc Honda on the shelf as one they just copied to create a production road racer.... ( his is an original...) the Kriedler on the shelf is a Factory Championship winning Bike that is one of 3 in the world...

There are several bikes in the one pic... and again I'm sorry my photography sucks....cause each of these is a work of art....

Old 11-22-2010, 06:32 PM   #14
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

While in Houston Bob gave me some riding gear he thought I might enjoy.... it's Brand New AeroStich Darion stuff... the jacket, pants and interliner... I was stunned by the gift, but once on, more impressed at just how good this stuff really is....wow

KeithTurk screwed with this post 11-24-2010 at 05:30 PM
Old 11-22-2010, 06:52 PM   #15
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

Another thing I should mention is the first day of this ride when I checked my messages I had to return a call to a friend who informed me that one of my personal heroes in life has inoperable Brain Cancer and had been given 3-14 months to live.... I was genuinely devastated.... so riding in and seeing Cindi sitting up and genuinely looking healthy truly made me feel really good.... Nice stuff....

So leaving them early in the afternoon I wanted to make some tracks towards Louisiana.... I'd been dreading the Bridge into Lake Charles.... I remember being afraid for my life... it was HIGH and had metal grating from HELL.... so coming into town at night was spooky like 14 mo fo's eating a ham sandwich...

Turned out to be funny, in that I actually thought the "real" bridge was farther along when I realized that I'd just crossed the one I was dreading.

Very cool.... that being behind me.... I camped at the Motel 6 right there in Lake Charles.... in bed at 9....

Once again up at 0'dark thirty..... and I took off for New Orleans....

In the first part of the trip I ran into a little town called Jenning's Louisianna...... it's a Magical little town that I used to fly into as a 22yr old Helicopter pilot....I'd fly in there solo from Ft Polk and eat french onion rings at the Holiday inn..... Cool deal as a kid.... putting around the skys of LA looking for kick ass food.... amazing stuff.... So ... that having been said... while we were riding to Mexico on the 550's 2 yrs ago.... our rules were no chain restaurants or Motels... we even stayed off 4 lanes most the time..... the one exception was to stay in Jennings at that Holiday Inn.... something I'd never done before even though I'd eaten there a ton of times...

KeithTurk screwed with this post 11-22-2010 at 07:07 PM