Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2014, 10:02 PM   #1
alpin OP
Alpine Adventures

Oddometer: 16
Pissed 2014 KLR650 New Edition - engine cracked?

Anyone very had this happen? My 2014 KLR650 New Edition with 1600 miles (purchased the end of February) seems to have a crack in the engine. It is really hard to see, but I noticed what I thought was a leak on the left side of the engine below the cylinder next to where the cylinder head bolts down. (I'm not much of a mechanic and this is my first bike, so forgive me if I use the wrong terms here). I cleaned the area thoroughly, changed the oil and took it out for a short ride. When I returned, I noticed a small drop of oil on the side of the engine case. I cleaned it off and watched as another small drop formed. Once the engine completely cooled off it stopped, but with the engine warm it seems to keep happening. The bike is still under warranty and I will be calling the dealer tomorrow, but I'm just wondering if anyone has ever seen this before and will it hurt it to keep riding it until I can get it fixed (I'm guessing it should be replaced).

I know its a little hard to see much in the photo - it was dark and I took the photo using a flashlight.

Also, I never took it in for the 600 mile service, but I did change the oil and filter, replaced the air filter with a uni filter, checked it over for wire rubbing and checked bolts (from what I understand, this is all the dealer does for the 600 mile service). I have done some farkling, but nothing that should affect the warranty.

Any advice or insight is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:00 AM   #2
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,628
I have not seen that before on a KLR

Difficult to see in pics. It could be a casting issue, or when they machined the hole for the stud, they the factory, stressed it. Dont let them blow you off. If it is leaking oil, the crack is through the casting. While not a major structural or water jacket area ( cam chain tunnel), it will not go away.

The barrel needs replacing. It is a legitimate warranty issue.

And no, whatever you have done ito maintenance will not affect the warranty! This is manufacturing defect.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:59 PM   #3
alpin OP
Alpine Adventures

Thanks Tsotsie!
It seems like this issue is mostly unheard of, so as long as the warrant goes smoothly, I feel much better about it. Been working a lot and haven't had a chance to call the dealer yet, but I'll be calling first thing Monday morning.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:13 PM   #4
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,265
I've had two alum casting leaks. I installed an alum manifold on a V8 and fired it up. To my surprise, there was a micro fountain of water spraying from between the head and thermostat.

Later, my sister was chasing a slow leak on her truck tire, no one could find it. When I told her about the manifold issue, she was like "Ya right." Hit the rim with soapy water, no leak. Aired the tire up a bit and started blowing bubbles right between two spokes. Big brother was right once again.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:26 PM   #5
alpin OP
Alpine Adventures

Made an appointment today to get the bike in at the dealer. Can't get it looked at until the 18th, then they will have to figure out what they need and order parts. I'm guessing this is going to be a long process. :(
Old 08-10-2014, 12:52 AM   #6
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,234
If it wasn't a new bike, this would be an epoxy repair.

Sorry, but that fucking sucks. I hope your dealer makes it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 04:22 AM   #7
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFVC600R View Post
If it wasn't a new bike, this would be an epoxy repair.
Epoxy? Most cant handle more than 220 degrees. Oil and parts of the head that are not in direct contact with coolant can reach temps as high as 270 in a KLR. Check their technical sheets before use.

As good as 'epoxies' are, in many instances they are just a band aid.

This crack while not in a water jacket and compression area and just seals the cam chain area, it is still a crack. Cracks often migrate further due to underlying casting issues.

Once parts are recieved, it should not be more than a one day job. Check to find out what they will replace. At a min they should replace the barrel and rings, maybe the piston too.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:52 AM   #8
sandsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
JB Weld has a high heat epoxy good to 500 degrees.
I got a real good feeling something bad is about to happen,
sandsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:10 AM   #9
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsman View Post
JB Weld has a high heat epoxy good to 500 degrees.
Which JB?

Yup, they do, one of 10 or more variations of 'epoxy' that cannot all be bought from the corner store. Most hardware store varieties (and quick sets) are only good for about 180 and all only achive full cure after a long time.

Joining dissimilar materials, will in most cases, be a band-aid.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:44 PM   #10
alpin OP
Alpine Adventures

Yeah, I'd really be pissed about this if it was not covered by warrant. If it happened because I hit something, that is one thing, but it just came out of nowhere (defect - but you know what I mean). Epoxy on a new engine with only 1600 miles is just wrong.

What is really driving me crazy right now is that I have a bunch of new parts to install (crash bars, new jetting, etc.) but I don't want to do any of it until I get this crack taken care of.

I'm taking it to the dealer Monday so they can check it out and order parts. Once they have everything, I'll take it back for the work to get done.

Once I have more info from the dealer, I'll post an update.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:52 AM   #11
PlatedDirtBike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Keep us posted. And JB Weld is an ADV riders friend.

Interesting post, please keep us posted.
On a side note; Aluminum is porous, and over time it will allow gasoline, oil, water, and fluids in general, to leak through it. On a new bike its not good, and Kawi should cover you totally. But the paint on aluminum parts does more than just make the engine or part look good. It seals the porous aluminum. I carry JB Weld always, ever since I fixed a leaking carburetor on a 1980's suv I had. Gas was seeping right through the solid aluminum. It was the weirdest thing to see a solid section of aluminum just grow gasoline like a tear drop. Anyway, I put JB Weld on with a brush like heavy paint. Worked like a charm. And it lasted several years.
God, guns and guts. KTM 500 EXC, BMW F 650 GS (800), YAMMY 225 XT & TTR 125. Proverbs 25:24 Shut up and Ride!
PlatedDirtBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:28 PM   #12
alpin OP
Alpine Adventures

Just got back from the shop (3 hours round trip), so here is the low-down...

It has some oil on the side that the mechanic and service manager were able to see clearly. Both of them agreed that it is probably a small stress fracture, so they cleaned it up and coated it with foot powder (the spray tinactin I think). They were slammed so they asked me to take it out and ride it for 10 to 15 miles and bring it back. I did this, but of course since I was at the shop, it only had a very small wet spot when I got back. I took it back out for another 15 to 20 miles and came back again. The wet spot was bigger, but still fairly small .

The mechanic said that he knows it is a flaw and Kawasaki should replace it, but he really wanted more oil in the foot powder for the photos to send Kawasaki so they can't question it. So... I rode it back home (with the powder still on it) and when there is a fair amount of oil on the side of the case, I'll snap some photos and send them to the dealership - who will then send them to Kawasaki.

The mechanic agreed that there is no issue in keeping riding it, so I'm going to do just that and keep an eye on the oil level. Once I get some good photos of the leak, I'll send them in so they can order all of the parts - then I will take it in to get the work done.

The dealer made it sound like its no big deal and that it is covered by warranty, but I'm a little disappointed that it ended up this way.

I'm hoping I'll have good photos in the next day or two - I'll post them when I get them.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:06 AM   #13
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Good. At least they are not blowing you off.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:39 AM   #14
VikB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpin View Post
The mechanic agreed that there is no issue in keeping riding it, so I'm going to do just that and keep an eye on the oil level. Once I get some good photos of the leak, I'll send them in so they can order all of the parts - then I will take it in to get the work done.

The dealer made it sound like its no big deal and that it is covered by warranty, but I'm a little disappointed that it ended up this way.

I'm hoping I'll have good photos in the next day or two - I'll post them when I get them.
Sounds like a best case scenario given a defect....you can still ride the bike and the dealer is supporting you through the warranty process with Kawi.

Having a defect sucks, but that's life occasionally with stuff we buy.

I hope you get it completely resolved soon.

Vik...
www.klr650blog.com
I didn't done the doo!
VikB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:36 PM   #15
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,588
If Kawasaki's warranty policy is the same, you will not get a new engine. They will have the dealer remove yours, tear it down, and repair it. They totally stood behind a 2001 KLR250. At 1340 miles, and on a weekend we were riding trails and rode, mine blew up. Had to trailer it home and to the shop. Turns out a small piece of silicone sealer used on engine assembly tore off and plugged the oil supply line to the top end. Got a new cylinder head, cam and rockers, cam chain tensioner and chain, etc. But, it took a long time. Kawasaki made the shop tear it down in stages and get okays at each stage, which held up the process along with parts ordering and shipping. They did the job well though. But I was without my ride for like 6 weeks. Hope yours goes quick!
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote