Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2014, 12:46 PM   #1
allen506 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Question 2014 KTM 500 EXC - Upgrading to 13L KTM tank

hello,

I want to upgrade to 13L to add up to 150mi range on my 2014 ktm 500exc, the part I am going to order is Part# 1433310004.

Does anyone know what else is needed? I am planning to use the fuel pump from the stock tank but I am unsure what other little pieces are required to put it together.

Second question, I have the EE radiador guards, I hope they will still fit but I may need to switch to front mounted guards, does anyone know?

thanks for the help,

allen
allen506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:37 PM   #2
ecarnell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen506 View Post
hello,

I want to upgrade to 13L to add up to 150mi range on my 2014 ktm 500exc, the part I am going to order is Part# 1433310004.

Does anyone know what else is needed? I am planning to use the fuel pump from the stock tank but I am unsure what other little pieces are required to put it together.

Second question, I have the EE radiador guards, I hope they will still fit but I may need to switch to front mounted guards, does anyone know?

thanks for the help,

allen
Start reading the master 500 thread - starting at post 5495
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...82150&page=367

If you order from Rocky Mountain - all connector parts appear to be included - but not the "new" side panels.

can't comment on rad guards.
2012 Dacre Challenge -Team Explore the Bruce - 8th (i.e last) Place. 17:59
ecarnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:51 PM   #3
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 3,982
I got that tank about 3 weeks ago. It didn't have the shorter caps (for lack of a better word) that go on the bottom of the tank. My parts guy called KTM. The said that they were aware of the problem and sent me the parts I needed.

KTM includes these parts and 2 new side panels. The studs that mount the air filter cover will need to be moved to the one. My airbox cover kept popping out. I deduced that it was too close to the seat , so I cut about 1/4 " off the top edge. I haven't ridden it this way yet.
I had the front mount KTM radiator guards. The tank won't go over these.

The stock tank had metal inserts where the fuel pump mounts. The new tank doesn't. You need the KTM wood screws that go directly into the plastic .

Your tank kit should include, ( this is what I got.....eventually).

1 fuel tank

1 shorter cap for holding the pump in place

1 shorter cap for the fuel outlet

4 "wood screws" for mounting the fuel pump

1 short piece of fuel line

2 hose clamps...The ones I got are very high quality.

2 rubber bumpers to keep the tank from rubbing the radiators. These are the same thing as the top center tank holding bolt/rubber piece.

2 side panels

I believe that is everything.
rufus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:28 PM   #4
allen506 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
thanks for all the replies, after having 3brothers call KTM they got the parts. For the 2014 they need to order the same parts they would need for the 19L tank,

1 shorter cap for holding the pump in place (not in the kit)
1 shorter cap for the fuel outlet (not in the kit)
4 "wood screws" for mounting the fuel pump (not in the kit)
1 short piece of fuel line (not needed)
1 hose clamps, for high pressure fuel lines. (not in the kit)
2 rubber bumpers to keep the tank from rubbing the radiators. These are the same thing as the top center tank holding bolt/rubber piece (comes with the tank)
2 side panels (they come with the tank but it comes without stickers)

The Enduro engineering radiator guards do not fit unless you cut them, I went with the front mount bulletproof units. The tank provide enough side protection.

I would also get new o-rings for the fuel outlet and fuel outlet if I were to re-do it.

I also had to remove the emissions canister as it does not appear to fit, the bracket that holds the canister impacts the tank. I may just relocate it under the airbox.

thanks again,

allen

here is the finished product

allen506 screwed with this post 05-09-2014 at 04:06 PM
allen506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:39 PM   #5
jfink
Can't get there from here

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus View Post
I got that tank about 3 weeks ago. It didn't have the shorter caps (for lack of a better word) that go on the bottom of the tank. My parts guy called KTM. The said that they were aware of the problem and sent me the parts I needed.

KTM includes these parts and 2 new side panels. The studs that mount the air filter cover will need to be moved to the one. My airbox cover kept popping out. I deduced that it was too close to the seat , so I cut about 1/4 " off the top edge. I haven't ridden it this way yet.
I had the front mount KTM radiator guards. The tank won't go over these.

The stock tank had metal inserts where the fuel pump mounts. The new tank doesn't. You need the KTM wood screws that go directly into the plastic .

Your tank kit should include, ( this is what I got.....eventually).

1 fuel tank

1 shorter cap for holding the pump in place

1 shorter cap for the fuel outlet

4 "wood screws" for mounting the fuel pump

1 short piece of fuel line

2 hose clamps...The ones I got are very high quality.

2 rubber bumpers to keep the tank from rubbing the radiators. These are the same thing as the top center tank holding bolt/rubber piece.

2 side panels

I believe that is everything.
Did you have any problem with the Gas Cap getting stuck on the tank? I had to take mine apart and bend the tines up on the vapor lock to keep them from catching and locking the cap.

2014 KTM 500 Exc, 2011 KTM 990 Adventure Dakar, 2004 Goldwing

The End of the World at the End of the World
jfink is offline   Reply With Quote