User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2012, 09:41 PM   #1666
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,636
Great Videos OhioPT and Sir Crankshaft.

For me, guess the music thing just depends on the bike riding and what you're video taping. I think we'll all agree that there is no sweeter sounding thumper than a Berg or we wouldn't be in this thread...something about that intake noise right in front of you and the exhaust note on a Berg. So if you're riding a Berg then let it make the music for the vid. Now if you're riding a KLR then by all means cover it up with music. Just kiddin KLR riders.
Having said that I have absolutely no problem with a little Drowning Pool (Bodies) playing while turning a hot lap on a Berg. Very motivating!

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:27 PM   #1667
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Thanks. I see them at http://www.koldkutter.com

Is there a preferred knobby for cold temps to put the screws in, and do you put one in every knob to get crazy on the ice? How fast do they fall/pull out - if they do? Thanks!

I'm thinking of setting up a set of tires and go ice hunting.
Cyborg, I used Grip Studs.
http://www.gripstuds.com/

I did this set up so I can ride when there is some snow and ice.
I didn't stud every knobby as I want to be able to ride the dirt and rocks.
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:33 PM   #1668
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider1 View Post
Mark, you did some great ridin' in that video !!

As far as music.......I guess some viewers don't know about the MUTE feature so prominently shown at the bottom of the window
It's not about muting the sound, I want to be able to hear what the rider was doing, on the gas / off the gas, shifting gears up or down, spinning up the rear wheel, killing the engine with too much rear brake.

Music is fine if you're going for a Benny Hill feeling or if you recorded it in super slow motion.

I want to experience as much as I can from the ride, the music just kills it as does muting it to kill the sound.

Not everything one does in life needs a fucking sound track.

Like I said, if I want to listen to music I want to listen to REAL musicians, not drum machine drones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=objvCrF7XEU
Dr. John Iko Iko - Ringo Starr's first All Star band 1989 - Ringo Starr, Joe Walsh, Nils Lofgren, Dr. John, Billy Preston (RIP), Rick Danko, Levon Helm, Jim Keltner, Clarence Clemons

guns_equal_freedom screwed with this post 01-15-2012 at 10:51 PM
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:56 AM   #1669
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,158
anyone point me to an under bar mount for a scotts stabilzer for my 450?

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:48 AM   #1670
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
anyone point me to an under bar mount for a scotts stabilzer for my 450?
Get the genuine Scotts sub mount, bracket only should be about $80-$90. James Renazco is a great source for anything Scotts, both prices and service. He has custom ordered me a few mounts and I had them here in Austria in 10 days even during the Christmas holidays.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:06 AM   #1671
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Thanks. I see them at http://www.koldkutter.com

Is there a preferred knobby for cold temps to put the screws in, and do you put one in every knob to get crazy on the ice? How fast do they fall/pull out - if they do? Thanks!

I'm thinking of setting up a set of tires and go ice hunting.
There is a lot more to tire building than just screwing studs into the tire. The screws are 1" to 1 1/4" long and the tire has a liner on the inside, so it's a bit of work. The Kenda ice tire is preferred for the rear and of course the debate goes on which tire is best for the front. If you take care of your tires, they'll last awhile, which means only using them on the ice and wrapping them off the ice.

I made a set of Trelleborg spike tires and they for winter trail riding and they work great. They don't work very well on the ice though and you really need more than 20 per tire
Old 01-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #1672
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by guns_equal_freedom View Post
Cyborg, I used Grip Studs.
http://www.gripstuds.com/

I did this set up so I can ride when there is some snow and ice.
I didn't stud every knobby as I want to be able to ride the dirt and rocks.
Thanks Guns. I have seen those and they're pretty spendy compared to the Kold Kutters. They look good though.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:09 PM   #1673
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
There is a lot more to tire building than just screwing studs into the tire. The screws are 1" to 1 1/4" long and the tire has a liner on the inside, so it's a bit of work. The Kenda ice tire is preferred for the rear and of course the debate goes on which tire is best for the front. If you take care of your tires, they'll last awhile, which means only using them on the ice and wrapping them off the ice.

I made a set of Trelleborg spike tires and they for winter trail riding and they work great. They don't work very well on the ice though and you really need more than 20 per tire
Thanks Crank, I've since looked up more info too and see what you mean. Some good YouTubes on it too.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:26 PM   #1674
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Thanks Crank, I've since looked up more info too and see what you mean. Some good YouTubes on it too.
I have a stud gun that shoots the large carbide tipped studs...

My cousin made two sets for use last year using Kenda Track masters. They work great, the video I posted last week was me riding on a snow covered road and I can pull a wheelie anytime I want They suck on the lake though, not enough grip compared to the Kold Kutter tires. Our Trackmaster tires cost us about $150-200 a set including the tires.

I bought the gun and the studs and he did all the work
Old 01-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #1675
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
I have a stud gun that shoots the large carbide tipped studs...

My cousin made two sets for use last year using Kenda Track masters. They work great, the video I posted last week was me riding on a snow covered road and I can pull a wheelie anytime I want They suck on the lake though, not enough grip compared to the Kold Kutter tires. Our Trackmaster tires cost us about $150-200 a set including the tires.

I bought the gun and the studs and he did all the work
Man you have a pretty great variety of spiked tires! and the climate to use them in. We barely get enough cold weather in WA to justify any of those but it sure looks fun.

How do the Kold Kutters work in regular trail riding or do you uses them exclusively for lake ice riding?
Old 01-16-2012, 11:30 PM   #1676
dirtyoffroad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
once you have dulled the sharp edges off the screws,they are not so effective.I have always considered the screws for ice only.Carbide studs are what you want for trail riding. JMHO
Old 01-17-2012, 07:47 AM   #1677
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Oddometer: 2,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakes View Post
I'll watch 30 minutes of helmet cam with just the noise of the bike and be riveted the whole time. But as soon as the music starts, it's hard for me to keep watching. And I don't like that damned MTV either, all that noisy music and dancing around like a bunch of monkeys. Damn kids these days. GET OFF MY LAWN!
Hey look, Andy Rooney is alive and well...and on ADV

Do not, under any circumstances, hit the links in my sig line - they are infected with devilish witchcraft music - drums and screaming, and Dancing!?! Oh my God, not Dancing on a motorcycle video. Oh, the Humanity!
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:37 AM   #1678
Wander4Days
Where am I?

Oddometer: 91
Tagging a Berg???

I see lots of people with tagged Bergs in different states but I am not having good luck here in GA. I have an '11 390 that was originally purchased in NY state. The MSO has that nasty little sentence "not intended for highway use..." on it and the DMV keeps giving me hassles and saying it can't be done. Other friends have tagged dirtbikes here but my 5 trips to the DMV were all a waste. I have tried everything I can think of- got a title bond, had an officer inspect it and certify the VIN, insured, etc. etc. still no luck. I would give it 1 last try if anyone has a great pointer. If not I'm probably going to look to trade my 390 for a 570.

Thanks!
Wander4Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #1679
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wander4Days View Post
I see lots of people with tagged Bergs in different states but I am not having good luck here in GA. I have an '11 390 that was originally purchased in NY state. The MSO has that nasty little sentence "not intended for highway use..." on it and the DMV keeps giving me hassles and saying it can't be done. Other friends have tagged dirtbikes here but my 5 trips to the DMV were all a waste. I have tried everything I can think of- got a title bond, had an officer inspect it and certify the VIN, insured, etc. etc. still no luck. I would give it 1 last try if anyone has a great pointer. If not I'm probably going to look to trade my 390 for a 570.

Thanks!
my 09 450FE has the same statement on the title. I went to my local motorcycle shop and they have a form they can fill out that indicates they have inspected the bike and it is road legal. I had to prove it had a hi/lo headlight, turn signals, horn, and brake tail light. I took my MSO and this form to the DMV and got it registered. I am in Vermont.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #1680
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by HickOnACrick View Post
Hey look, Andy Rooney is alive and well...and on ADV
I really appreciate you misquoting me Hick with no indication that I didn't actually even say what you "quoted." Look back a few posts and you will find that I was not the first to comment on it, and there were several others as well. Anyone that takes the time to put together a video and share it I appreciate it, I know it takes a lot of time and effort, having done many dozens of these myself. And yes, I have received all the feedback that goes along with those and 99% of that feedback says no music and having received the many thank you's for not covering up the sound of the bike with songs. Most riders seem to feel that way - so if you audience are riders and you want your videos to be well received by the majority, the consensus is no music. I've seen this play out many times with others asking feedback on other boards too, and the answer among the majority of riders is always the same. I can see where maybe non-riders need to be entertained with a song while watching something as "boring" as a riding video. But by contrast, most riders are enthralled with the riding and the sound of the bike, and anything that detracts from that like random songs just take away from the effort, rather than enhancing it, so really folks go to extra effort by adding music and end up only making it less appealing to their audience. YMMV - depending on who your audience is. If you really like listening to a song while watching a riding video, just turn on your iPod, you'll get the exact same effect, and you even get to choose the music you like. Win win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HickOnACrick
Do not, under any circumstances, hit the links in my sig line - they are infected with devilish witchcraft music - drums and screaming, and Dancing!?! Oh my God, not Dancing on a motorcycle video. Oh, the Humanity!
Excellent, thanks for the heads up, I'll be sure and steer clear.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote