ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #1741
Navin
Beastly Adventurer
 
Navin's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Oddometer: 8,355
No talk of the death of the Burg 70 slopers and redefinition of the brand as a second string KTM leftover parts bin lineup? Blue Costco versions of current and past KTM tech is the future for Husaberg it seems. Saddens me as much as the BMW takeover of Husky.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:23 AM   #1742
DeFens
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Monroe, WA
Oddometer: 500
This latest speculation really makes me glad I bought a leftover FE390. With no new 2012 4Ts being imported and the possible discontinuation of the 70-degree motors, these last FEs are likely to become an instant classic, stock up while you still can? Might have to add a 450 to the stable.

But then, buying KTMs at Costco does have a certain appeal, too. Probably rebranded as "Kirkland Signature Motobikes" though. I was in Costco yesterday, and picked up a flyer on the Costco pricing on Kawasaki. Great deals, but you have to buy a six-pack.
__________________
Monroe, WA
2011 Husaberg FE390
2006 BMW R1200GS
2001 BMW F650GS Dakar
And a fluffy cat named Chester....
DeFens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:42 AM   #1743
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam
 
cyborg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Pacific NorthWet
Oddometer: 5,239
My local dealer (Tasky's) said there is no news of cancelling the 70 degree bikes that he has heard of. He said no 2012's until the existing stocks on dealer showroom floors reduces. If anyone has better intel, lets hear it.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:09 AM   #1744
Tarheel Wheeler
Around
 
Tarheel Wheeler's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: A53, NC
Oddometer: 3,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
My local dealer (Tasky's) said there is no news of cancelling the 70 degree bikes that he has heard of. He said no 2012's until the existing stocks on dealer showroom floors reduces. If anyone has better intel, lets hear it.
Been outta the loop for a bit and just catching up on the thread.

Same thing I heard from Genuine Dirt Racer. Did see a pic of a 2013 that looks like a rebadged KTM. Check out the Berg rally bike thread.

Thanks for the electrical info Cyborg.

Lukas, A few guys said the KTM part was nice, but didn't hold up under adverse conditions rally racing. Some info on bracket in other threads.
__________________
Adversity is the state in which man most easily becomes acquainted with himself, being especially free of admirers then. John Wooden

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE

Tarheel Wheeler screwed with this post 02-01-2012 at 10:23 AM
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:25 PM   #1745
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam
 
cyborg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Pacific NorthWet
Oddometer: 5,239
Accessory power

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post


HF
Spotted this gizmo on the Orange Crush forum, looks much better sealed than any of the other fuzeblocks -- to be able to live behind a wet exposed headlight fairing, but spendy.

http://www.aerostich.com/power-distr...module-v2.html

cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:40 PM   #1746
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam
 
cyborg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Pacific NorthWet
Oddometer: 5,239
Ceramic header coating

Took my FE390 header pipe to Performance Coating, had them coat with 2000F 'Satin Gray Ice' ceramic coating (inside and out) to reduce heat under the tank. The Gray Ice is a polished finish so dirt won't stick to it. They recommended it for dirtbikes. Great folks there.


Before





After












Finished up, and ready to re-assemble the rest of the bike.



Hope to test it soon.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:07 AM   #1747
Tarheel Wheeler
Around
 
Tarheel Wheeler's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: A53, NC
Oddometer: 3,647
Oil....running Rotella T Synthetic in my Bergs. Rotella is the brand Rekluse recommends, and is also what the guys at Genuine Dirt Racer (Berg dealer, racers and Nick Fahringer wrench) are running and recommended. No issues at all. Another good thing about it is that you can find it almost anywhere.

Cyborg, Regarding ceramic coating, the GDR gurus recommended ceramic coating only the mid pipe which is in close proximity to the tank. They found that ceramic coating the entire exhaust tended to push too much heat into the exhaust can casing packing to burn up quicker and a hotter surface temp. Also said they saw a slight decrease in engine power...not sure why.

Nice fuseblock find, but the cost.
__________________
Adversity is the state in which man most easily becomes acquainted with himself, being especially free of admirers then. John Wooden

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:54 AM   #1748
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam
 
cyborg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Pacific NorthWet
Oddometer: 5,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Wheeler View Post
Oil....running Rotella T Synthetic in my Bergs. Rotella is the brand Rekluse recommends, and is also what the guys at Genuine Dirt Racer (Berg dealer, racers and Nick Fahringer wrench) are running and recommended. No issues at all. Another good thing about it is that you can find it almost anywhere.

Cyborg, Regarding ceramic coating, the GDR gurus recommended ceramic coating only the mid pipe which is in close proximity to the tank. They found that ceramic coating the entire exhaust tended to push too much heat into the exhaust can casing packing to burn up quicker and a hotter surface temp. Also said they saw a slight decrease in engine power...not sure why.

Nice fuseblock find, but the cost.

THW, guess it's too late for me now, I won't be chipping it off.
As for power loss, I'm moving down the power scale these days so I don't mind if I lose a percent or two. I see a lot of info online going both ways about coating headers but I'll be happy with the reduced heat around the tank and engine and we'll see what happens with the can.

I run Rotella T full-synth too. Rekluse recommends it for their clutches. Been running it for years in a few bikes, never any problems.

On that spendy solid-stare fuseblock, I think it's targeting the CANbus BMW crowd.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:03 AM   #1749
McLeod
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Whitewright Tx.
Oddometer: 429
I have two words to say to that..

DAM SWEET!


Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Took my FE390 header pipe to Performance Coating, had them coat with 2000F 'Satin Gray Ice' ceramic coating (inside and out) to reduce heat under the tank. The Gray Ice is a polished finish so dirt won't stick to it. They recommended it for dirtbikes. Great folks there.


Before





After












Finished up, and ready to re-assemble the rest of the bike.



Hope to test it soon.
__________________
03 XR650L, 92 XR250L ,01 DRZ400, 95 KDX200, 03 KTM 640 E, 2010 Husaberg FE450
McLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:14 PM   #1750
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider
 
GalacticGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Camas, WA
Oddometer: 2,311
Berg Rims

2011 FE570 with the silver Excel AL7 rims.

I just had the suspension revalved and adjusted for my weight (front and rear) by Bob at Pro-Action in Las Vegas. What a difference it makes - the stock suspension was just too soft.

I took it for a lengthy ride today to try it out. It just soaks up the whoops, and everything else. I ended up riding pretty fast on some single track in the Pahrump area. If you're familiar with the area, it has a lot of cross-grain washouts and some have some pretty sharp and firm edges. It's a bit rocky in places too. Still, the suspension worked perfectly - I'm really happy with Pro-Action.

But when I got home, I noticed I had a really severe dent in both the front and rear rims. The dent in the front rim is so bad that the bead of the tire is showing. I'd post pics but don't have my trasnfer cable with me so won't be able to until later in the week when I get back home. I was running about 15psi front, and 18psi rear. I've run simialr pressures on my Husky over the same terrain without a problem.

Anyways, has anybody else had a similar experience. Are the rims overly soft? Was my air pressure just too low? Any recommendations on stronger rims?

Thanks in advance...
__________________
Larry
2006 R1200GS; 2009 Husaberg Rally 570; 2011 Husaberg FE570
www.galacticgs.com
"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:11 AM   #1751
Bluetonguejak
Adventure Seeker
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Gippsland
Oddometer: 86
TT HID Headlight mounted high and forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Now that there is a good idea. I don't like the tight fit of all my wires behind the headlight. Hhhhmmm.....please pursue this concept further, Sir Lukas.

HF
New to this thread.

Made universal mounts for TT HID assembly and double to mount my Rallye roadbook/fairing assembly.

Bars are raised about 60mm due to under bar damper and risers, so raised speedo and moved forward a bit so can be easily read.

Made ABS extenders for the rubber straps and now cable-tie the bottom of the light assembly as it came off the pins last weekend on the mx track.

Plenty of room behind headlight for additional wiring and auxillary gadgets.









Bluetonguejak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:21 AM   #1752
Bluetonguejak
Adventure Seeker
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Gippsland
Oddometer: 86
Motarding FE570

What gearing is everyone running with 17in Motard wheels on the road and track?

Have only just taken Motard gear off my 625 and threw on the bike tonight.

Have only got standard front disc as 320mm disc on adventure wheels on SXC

Will also have to rotate the tyre as it is directional and opposite to SXC.

Will test 13/50 on the road in the hills tomorrow, but as more of a track gearing.

Have ordered 14T front sprocket and a 51 rear for Rallye.

Have a selection of rears from 40 - 45 for the Kato, but trying to avoid running another chain at the moment.



Cheers
Bluetonguejak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:18 AM   #1753
ChR1s
Spherical Bastard
 
ChR1s's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Oddometer: 336
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetonguejak View Post
...
Made ABS extenders for the rubber straps and now cable-tie the bottom of the light assembly as it came off the pins last weekend on the mx track.

Plenty of room behind headlight for additional wiring and auxillary gadgets.

I like.
__________________
Chris
ChR1s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #1754
chief_lee_visceral
Gnarly Adventurer
 
chief_lee_visceral's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChR1s View Post
I like.
Less fender shadow too for us slow riders
__________________
-= Never put your finger where you wouldn't put your face =-.
chief_lee_visceral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:49 AM   #1755
lc8john
Studly Adventurer
 
lc8john's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Porto, Portugal
Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetonguejak View Post
What gearing is everyone running with 17in Motard wheels on the road and track?

Have only just taken Motard gear off my 625 and threw on the bike tonight.

Have only got standard front disc as 320mm disc on adventure wheels on SXC

Will also have to rotate the tyre as it is directional and opposite to SXC.

Will test 13/50 on the road in the hills tomorrow, but as more of a track gearing.

Have ordered 14T front sprocket and a 51 rear for Rallye.

Have a selection of rears from 40 - 45 for the Kato, but trying to avoid running another chain at the moment.



Cheers
I'm running 15/48, at the moment.
Tried 14/38 (to high) and 14/48 (a bit low) before.. but 15/48 seems to be spot on for my kind of ride.
With 13/50 you will power wheelie in 6th gear

J.
__________________
Husaberg FS 570
lc8john is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015