Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2012, 08:04 PM   #1966
hillwalker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
No. It is basically a restrictor, chokes off the bike exhaust probably to meet some regulations. They give you a tool in the toolkit to remove it, plus the holes in it are too large to be a spark arrestor. The OEM can uses an internal Krizman-style spark arrestor that is located about 1/3 way into the can from the rear, so removing the "Briggs & Stratton" end disc gives the bike back it's normal power and it's still fully spark protected.

My dealer says that perforated end disk somehow "falls off" almost every Berg he has sold... owner done of course...
Thanks for the info. Forgive me if this has been covered already, but if the restrictor was removed, would it create a lean scenario?

If it wouldn't cause any problems, I'll have to test it to see how much louder it gets ... so far like the quiet note.
hillwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:03 AM   #1967
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillwalker View Post
Thanks for the info. Forgive me if this has been covered already, but if the restrictor was removed, would it create a lean scenario?

If it wouldn't cause any problems, I'll have to test it to see how much louder it gets ... so far like the quiet note.
Since the bike is EFI, it can compensate to some degree and it gets a bit louder but not bad. If you have a dealer nearby have them load the "competition map" and you'll have a new bike that runs flawlessly, just ask HF who did that recently. The comp map runs much better with restrictor plate out.

The OEM map to the US is too lean in a few spots to pass regs and I think runs better with the restrictor plate in with that lame map. If you are happy with the power with the restrictor plate and quiet note, just run with it that way.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:35 PM   #1968
hillwalker
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Since the bike is EFI, it can compensate to some degree and it gets a bit louder but not bad. If you have a dealer nearby have them load the "competition map" and you'll have a new bike that runs flawlessly, just ask HF who did that recently. The comp map runs much better with restrictor plate out.

The OEM map to the US is too lean in a few spots to pass regs and I think runs better with the restrictor plate in with that lame map. If you are happy with the power with the restrictor plate and quiet note, just run with it that way.
Thanks again, Cyborg. I took the plate out today and it is not too loud for me.

Regarding the fuel mapping, I saw HF's post on how it affected the performance of his bike and made sure to ask my dealer about it. I'm not 100% on the answer I received...dealer was fantastic overall and I would recommend them but I wasn't able to definitively confirm if the competition map was loaded.

Is there a way that I can check the mapping as an end-user?...in other words, can I buy some diagnostic tool to check it? Alternatively, I guess I could take it to another dealer to check it out...but they are fairly spread out in Texas. Sounds like it is worth it, though.

Many thanks for your help!
Old 03-28-2012, 07:11 PM   #1969
JKL
Rider

Oddometer: 741
Yes there is a fine tune adjustment tool available from Husaberg hard parts.

If your bike is running well it will have the competition map otherwise you will notice the occasional stutter, turning the idle up a bit may help, but otherwise let your dealer know if the bike is not running 100%.
JKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:54 AM   #1970
McLeod
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
What dealership are you using?

Quote:

Regarding the fuel mapping, I saw HF's post on how it affected the performance of his bike and made sure to ask my dealer about it. I'm not 100% on the answer I received...dealer was fantastic overall and I would recommend them but I wasn't able to definitively confirm if the competition map was loaded.

Is there a way that I can check the mapping as an end-user?...in other words, can I buy some diagnostic tool to check it? Alternatively, I guess I could take it to another dealer to check it out...but they are fairly spread out in Texas. Sounds like it is worth it, though.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:09 PM   #1971
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:

If your dealer doesn't know for sure about whether the competition map is loaded or not, my guess is it isn't. It does not come from the factory that way and a dealer has to load it specifically with their programmer. If they don't have a record of that in their service dept, again my guess is it wasn't done.

As for your own diagnostics/programmer tool, they are quite expensive and I think I heard Husaberg stopped selling them to end users. Better would be just to get that dealer or another dealer to verify the competition map with their programmer tool, which they should do for no charge.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #1972
hillwalker
Adventurer

OK, that is good advice. I will try to open the dialogue again with my dealer, and if that doesn't work, will talk to another dealer.

Rather not mention the dealer I purchased from...they really were fantastic to me overall. And, I would hate for this to get blown out of proportion.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:41 AM   #1973
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,515
I bought mine from TJ's in Austin. At the time, they were not familiar with this concept, and had not performed the task before on any of their bikes. So, I used a different dealer that does it automatically to every bike right out of the crate.

Don't be surprised if your original Dealer is not familiar with the routine. It probably just means no one has ever asked them to do it before.....and/or they haven't really been riding these bikes much for themselves. It doesn't mean they are a lousy Dealer. Quite the contrary, TJ has been great to work with. I just decided to send my ECU to somebody who has perfected the art.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com

HighFive screwed with this post 03-31-2012 at 06:46 AM
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:00 PM   #1974
Wander4Days
Where am I?

Oddometer: 85
Help! street wiring my berg...

Hoping some of you with more electrical experience that me can help a clueless bastard like me out. I am trying to fully dual sport my '11 FE390 by adding a brake light and all 4 turn signals. I know you can buy the Husaberg parts that supposedly plug and play but I settled on aftermarket switches and signals from Highway Dirtbikes and Baja Designs. I assumed the wiring would all be there for me to tap into but now that I've started tearing things apart it's not nearly as straight forward as I had hoped.

Questions:
-Can anyone identify the 4 open connectors that I show in the photos? 1,2, and 3 are below the gauge cluster(obviously) and 4 is under the seat.
-Is the wiring there somewhere for the rear signals or do I need to add the harness or run my own wires?
-Where will the rear brake switch plug into the system?
-WTF am I supposed to to with this LED flasher that I bought!?

Thanks for any help.

Also, sorry if any of these questions are already answered in the thread, but I couldn't make it through all 131 pages.

[IMG]wiring1[/IMG]

wiring2
Wander4Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #1975
McLeod
Gnarly Adventurer

I asked the dealership that is closest to me about at least checking to see what code was in the ECU or just putting the competition code in it. I got the blank stare look. I tried to explain what I wanted but didn't get through. That is why I was asking.

Who did you send your ECU off to HighFive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
I bought mine from TJ's in Austin. At the time, they were not familiar with this concept, and had not performed the task before on any of their bikes. So, I used a different dealer that does it automatically to every bike right out of the crate.

Don't be surprised if your original Dealer is not familiar with the routine. It probably just means no one has ever asked them to do it before.....and/or they haven't really been riding these bikes much for themselves. It doesn't mean they are a lousy Dealer. Quite the contrary, TJ has been great to work with. I just decided to send my ECU to somebody who has perfected the art.

HF
Old 04-01-2012, 04:33 PM   #1976
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod View Post
I asked the dealership that is closest to me about at least checking to see what code was in the ECU or just putting the competition code in it. I got the blank stare look. I tried to explain what I wanted but didn't get through. That is why I was asking.

McLeod, Genuine Dirt Racer in North Wilkesboro, NC will flash it for you.

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #1977
McLeod
Gnarly Adventurer

Awesome! Thank you.
I will give them a call tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Wheeler View Post
Old 04-01-2012, 10:52 PM   #1978
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Wheeler View Post
and on the other coast Tasky's Metric Cycle in Everett, WA are racers themselves, sponsor racers, are experts at the 'Berg programming and have done mine and many others.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:24 AM   #1979
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod View Post
Tasky's Metric Cycle....near Seattle, WA. Jeff Tasky is one superb dealer! With the Cyborg seal of approval, to boot.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #1980
KMK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
OK all you Berg pros, I have a couple of quick questions.

1) Aftermarket sidestand/ kickstand

Is there a part intended for the KTM that will bolt on?

I would like to run the Pro Moto Billet sidestand just not sure witch one would fit.

2) Nut inserts in fuel tank

I have had several incidents where the inserts (that hold the radiator shroud bolts) have been pulled out of the tank.

Previously the fix was to simply and carefully pop the inserts back into their cavity in the tank.

The problem now is I have lost two of the inserts, and it doesn't seem like this is a part that is available on its own (it is part of the fuel tank).

Has anyone else encountered this?

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Kevin
KMK is offline   Reply With Quote