User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2012, 02:41 AM   #1981
Tslapper
#!

Oddometer: 5,955
Hey all,

New berg FE570 owner. This thing is awesome!

Over heated last week. Figure it's still pretty tight still but I was also just sitting waiting turn on an obstacle after a lot of slow stuff.

I had a fan kit sent up and I installed it last night. I think the fit is too tight but there's only one way to install the kit. It's on the bike but I had to shove it hard against the gas tank to get the shroud to line up on the tank. Basically, the fan is wedged pretty hard between the tank and the rad and the rad is now canted forward a bit.

Anybody else install the fan... same thing?
Tslapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:21 AM   #1982
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK View Post
OK all you Berg pros, I have a couple of quick questions.

1) Aftermarket sidestand/ kickstand

Is there a part intended for the KTM that will bolt on?

I would like to run the Pro Moto Billet sidestand just not sure witch one would fit.
Unfortunately there are no aftermarket side stands (that I am aware of), and PMB is probably not going to make one. They had a Berg there for development and couldn't find any good attachment points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tslapper View Post
Hey all,

New berg FE570 owner. This thing is awesome!

Over heated last week. Figure it's still pretty tight still but I was also just sitting waiting turn on an obstacle after a lot of slow stuff.

I had a fan kit sent up and I installed it last night. I think the fit is too tight but there's only one way to install the kit. It's on the bike but I had to shove it hard against the gas tank to get the shroud to line up on the tank. Basically, the fan is wedged pretty hard between the tank and the rad and the rad is now canted forward a bit.

Anybody else install the fan... same thing?

You probably made the same mistake as me....

The plastic housing/shroud that the actual fan is mounted should go on the front side of the metal bracket, so that it almost touches the radiator fins. If you mounted it on the back side you probably have about 1/2" between fins and blades?

If this is the case you will need to drill out the rivets to remove the bracket (I think a 4 or 5 mm drill worked well), push the remains of the rivets in, and then re-rivet the bracket on there.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:23 AM   #1983
Tslapper
#!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
You probably made the same mistake as me....

The plastic housing/shroud that the actual fan is mounted should go on the front side of the metal bracket, so that it almost touches the radiator fins. If you mounted it on the back side you probably have about 1/2" between fins and blades?

If this is the case you will need to drill out the rivets to remove the bracket (I think a 4 or 5 mm drill worked well), push the remains of the rivets in, and then re-rivet the bracket on there.
I knew somebody was going to tell me that. Thanks man!
Old 04-03-2012, 08:40 AM   #1984
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,094
Thumb

Howdy fellow Husaberg owners!
My name is Finn.
I've been a long time lurker on this thread and the other various Husaberg forums, let me start by thanking everyone who's contributed in this thread to make it a great resource for all 70 owners. I've been pretty quiet just soaking it all up, thinking for about a year this would be the perfect bike for my Adventuring Evolution, following this thread has been most enjoyable.
With all the stars aligning, I just picked up a nice preowned 11' FE570S with only 300 miles on it and have fallen in love.

It came de-smogged, opened up, tail cleaned up, competition map, and lowered 1" with the suspension done up by Trail Tricks. The bike also had a cheap FMF-something-or-other pipe that was FAR too loud for my tastes and intended purpose so I found a nice used stock pipe to put back on and am happy with the sound levels now.

My Husaberg won't see the back of a truck or a trailer unless it can't be ridden for whatever reason, I like to ride, bought it to ride it and plan on long travels with this bike.
We shall see how many miles this engine can take.

I only had about 5 days to get the bike ready for it's maiden Adventure to Death Valley last week for the ADVrider n00b Rally, a quick and dirty 1100 mile 65% dirt ride.
Here's what I did so far to make it my ultimate lightweight adventure touring bike.

Scotts damper
14/45 gearing
HDB hand guards
Bullet Proof radiator guards ( I have a thing with dropping bikes on just the right big rock)
TT map switch
D606 rear, Pirelli Scorpion Rally front tire - dual rim locks and then balanced with spoke weights
Seat Concepts seat (Airhawk Pillion seat pad for the long highway sections)
HID headlight (purchased from Paul on the Unofficial Husa forum, KTM ATV light converted to HID)
Added a SAE plug wired direct to battery for air pump/heated gear
Wired in my Montana GPS
Moved gauges up 1.5 inch to match the bar rise with a simple aluminum bracket I made
Can-Am inline fuel filter
Profill tank filter
Giant Loop muffler guard

The To Do list:

Safari Fuel Tank
70 Fuel Tank
cush drive
heated grips

lots of miles off tarmac.

So far this bike has far exceeded my expectations, and with all the praise and very little negative posts my expectations were already extremely high.
Admittedly, this is my first small bike in many years with all my Adventuring being done on much heavier bikes, so for me, it really does feel like a mountain bike with an awesome motor that I can throw around.
The fun factor on this bike is huge, it does it all very well so far and I see many miles and smiles to come on it.
It's like a precision scalpel, versus a big machete to me....
My girlfriend Nancy also has enjoyed riding the FE, she rode about 200 varying miles on it around Death Valley.... I think my plan worked and we're going to have to get her a FE390 sometime soon and also cut the weight of her ADV touring bike in half....

Since most of the stuff I've done has been covered already in this thread, I'll just get on with my second favorite thing to do after riding bikes, making photos of bikes! I think this Husaberg shall be a worthy subject for some time to come.

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 04-03-2012 at 08:56 AM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #1985
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Congrats Finn, the Berg is certainly an excellent choice for the more technical stuff you having been riding on your F8.

Your setup is very similar to what we have done on our bikes (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=751096) and we have been very happy with those parts.

The only additional things I would suggest are the factory fan kit, the CV4 fuel tank blanket and the factory frame guards, with an added bolt or zip tie fastening them to the right rear fender (to prevent them bending in near the header).

Cheers,
Lukas
Old 04-03-2012, 10:00 AM   #1986
Tslapper
#!

Nice bike Finn!

Just got done re installing my fan kit. Never would have guessed it would fit like that. When it's a 50/50 chance, I get it wrong, every single time.

Thanks again LukasM!
Old 04-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #1987
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tslapper View Post
Nice bike Finn!

Just got done re installing my fan kit. Never would have guessed it would fit like that. When it's a 50/50 chance, I get it wrong, every single time.

Thanks again LukasM!

No worries mate, glad I could help. Don't feel bad, I actually made the same mistake on two bikes! Looks perfectly fine so I only realized it when I went to put the tanks back on.

Let's hope that having it documented in this thread warns somebody else.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #1988
Lost Rider
Roadie

Thanks Lukas!
Of course I've been following your adventures, awesome job breaking that record!

Any word on those awesome skid plates/tool boxes getting produced for us mere mortals? I need one of those.
Thank you for the additional suggestions, been going back and forth about the fan since I'm not doing too much "slow" riding.... I'll add it to the list.

Now, I seem to have some sort of issue here with the 130 size D606 and chain catching each other. Of course the chain tension is in spec, any other ideas why this is happening? seems to have gotten much worse after a 250 mile high speed pavement run home from DV last night

LostRider.com
Old 04-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #1989
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,630
Congrats Finn, and thanks for the new pc background! That 1st shot is fantastic. Ride Blue!

By the looks of your rear mud flap it has to be something with the chain tension.. Never ever saw that type wear on my old race Berg. Did you do a tire width comparison between OEM Bridgestones and 606s?

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE

Tarheel Wheeler screwed with this post 04-03-2012 at 10:30 AM
Tarheel Wheeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:29 AM   #1990
Lost Rider
Roadie

Thank you!

If you'd like a higher res photo, you can download it here:

http://lostrider.smugmug.com/Motorcy...4656&k=Rn5rZJ7

*edit*

I'm pretty sure the chain is tensioned correctly, I measured it right in the middle of the spec posted on the swing arm.
It wasn't doing it much while in the dirt, only after some pavement runs.
I know, I know, the Berg is telling me to stay off the pavement, but sometimes it's necessary for me.

when moving the chain around by hand I don't see how there's enough slack for it to be rubbing all the way over to the mudflap.

The tire is also rubbing on the muffler too.

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 04-03-2012 at 10:39 AM
Old 04-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #1991
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
The tire is also rubbing on the muffler too.
You're running a 130? I'm not sure what the stock size is, but mine came from the PO with a 110... could it be the tire expansion at speed?

'nother question for you... have you (or anyone else for that matter) run into an issue with the breather and fuel boiling (or at least fuel getting v. hot)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider
Couple of weeks back I was running some good single track with friends (about 3 hrs of riding). I was running a similar breather the one you show. I went to remove the fuel cap to top up the gas after getting back to the staging area and BOOM - the fuel exploded out of the tank and I got covered in about 1/2 gal of warm fuel. It was sheer luck that I managed to close my eyes in time and that one of my riding buddies is a nurse and had a decent medical kit in his car to rinse my eyes out. Now I am still running the stock cap, with the ball-bearing installed, and I also have the underside of my tank lined with heat-reflective tape.

Anyone else with similar experiences or thoughts on this?
Old 04-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #1992
Lost Rider
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyMan View Post
You're running a 130? I'm not sure what the stock size is, but mine came from the PO with a 110... could it be the tire expansion at speed?

'nother question for you... have you (or anyone else for that matter) run into an issue with the breather and fuel boiling (or at least fuel getting v. hot)?

Yes a 130 tire, the manual says it comes with a 140 metzler so I thought it should be good since it's "smaller" than OEM. Maybe the D606 has more side knobs, there must be other people on here running a 606?...

I just went to my local Berg dealer that's close by, they said it was common for the chain to hit the mud flap, I'm taking it in tomorrow for a general inspection so we'll see what they have to say.

I've had no trouble with overheating or hot fuel even on some long steep climbs, but I have very little experience in the matter really and most of my riding to date has been desert riding with only a small amount of single track at the local OHV park.

LostRider.com
Old 04-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #1993
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,015
Question for the Berg experts:

I bought my 2010 FE570 from the original owner with about 10.5 hours on the clock. It had the competition fuel map installed, plus had the restrictor removed in the exhaust can. It now has 17 hours total.

I have always had trouble starting "cold" - it takes 4 tries of 5 seconds on/5 second wait with the starter. I always prime the pump first. I have since added a Wings exhaust can using the less restrictive baffle, which made no difference.

My local (KTM) dealer said they would check it out when I had the suspension done by them, as I was hoping it had to do with the idle setting. They are familar with the bike, having done the fuel pump for the original owner (Ca Cycleworks), and after finishing the suspension, have said that this ISN'T normal. They said it used to be hit the button, and running.

I installed a 14 amp Shorai today, hoping the battery was part of the problem, but that didn't seem to make any difference.

Possibly today, when I went to prime the pump, I didn't hear it when I bumped the starter. I was in their shop, so I may not have been able to hear it. (They have several NC mills and lathes running, producing KTM race parts)
I KNOW I could hear it every time in the past, so I may have just missed it today.

It seems to run fine once it is running, and will restart right away if you stall it hot, or shut it down for a minute.

I may check the valves, as I'm not sure when they were last checked. Any other possibilities I should look at ?
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:27 PM   #1994
TLtrials
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
FL- have the throttle positioning sensor checked to start with.
TLtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #1995
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLtrials View Post
FL- have the throttle positioning sensor checked to start with.
Thanks TL -- every bit helps !
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is online now   Reply With Quote