Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #1981
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,426
Congrats Finn, the Berg is certainly an excellent choice for the more technical stuff you having been riding on your F8.

Your setup is very similar to what we have done on our bikes (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=751096) and we have been very happy with those parts.

The only additional things I would suggest are the factory fan kit, the CV4 fuel tank blanket and the factory frame guards, with an added bolt or zip tie fastening them to the right rear fender (to prevent them bending in near the header).

Cheers,
Lukas

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:00 AM   #1982
Tslapper
#!

Oddometer: 6,687
Nice bike Finn!

Just got done re installing my fan kit. Never would have guessed it would fit like that. When it's a 50/50 chance, I get it wrong, every single time.

Thanks again LukasM!
Tslapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #1983
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tslapper View Post
Nice bike Finn!

Just got done re installing my fan kit. Never would have guessed it would fit like that. When it's a 50/50 chance, I get it wrong, every single time.

Thanks again LukasM!

No worries mate, glad I could help. Don't feel bad, I actually made the same mistake on two bikes! Looks perfectly fine so I only realized it when I went to put the tanks back on.

Let's hope that having it documented in this thread warns somebody else.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #1984
Lost Rider
Unsubscribed.

Oddometer: 3,263
Thanks Lukas!
Of course I've been following your adventures, awesome job breaking that record!

Any word on those awesome skid plates/tool boxes getting produced for us mere mortals? I need one of those.
Thank you for the additional suggestions, been going back and forth about the fan since I'm not doing too much "slow" riding.... I'll add it to the list.

Now, I seem to have some sort of issue here with the 130 size D606 and chain catching each other. Of course the chain tension is in spec, any other ideas why this is happening? seems to have gotten much worse after a 250 mile high speed pavement run home from DV last night

Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #1985
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,647
Congrats Finn, and thanks for the new pc background! That 1st shot is fantastic. Ride Blue!

By the looks of your rear mud flap it has to be something with the chain tension.. Never ever saw that type wear on my old race Berg. Did you do a tire width comparison between OEM Bridgestones and 606s?

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE

Tarheel Wheeler screwed with this post 04-03-2012 at 10:30 AM
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:29 AM   #1986
Lost Rider
Unsubscribed.

Thank you!

If you'd like a higher res photo, you can download it here:

http://lostrider.smugmug.com/Motorcy...4656&k=Rn5rZJ7

*edit*

I'm pretty sure the chain is tensioned correctly, I measured it right in the middle of the spec posted on the swing arm.
It wasn't doing it much while in the dirt, only after some pavement runs.
I know, I know, the Berg is telling me to stay off the pavement, but sometimes it's necessary for me.

when moving the chain around by hand I don't see how there's enough slack for it to be rubbing all the way over to the mudflap.

The tire is also rubbing on the muffler too.

Lost Rider screwed with this post 04-03-2012 at 10:39 AM
Old 04-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #1987
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
The tire is also rubbing on the muffler too.
You're running a 130? I'm not sure what the stock size is, but mine came from the PO with a 110... could it be the tire expansion at speed?

'nother question for you... have you (or anyone else for that matter) run into an issue with the breather and fuel boiling (or at least fuel getting v. hot)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider
Couple of weeks back I was running some good single track with friends (about 3 hrs of riding). I was running a similar breather the one you show. I went to remove the fuel cap to top up the gas after getting back to the staging area and BOOM - the fuel exploded out of the tank and I got covered in about 1/2 gal of warm fuel. It was sheer luck that I managed to close my eyes in time and that one of my riding buddies is a nurse and had a decent medical kit in his car to rinse my eyes out. Now I am still running the stock cap, with the ball-bearing installed, and I also have the underside of my tank lined with heat-reflective tape.

Anyone else with similar experiences or thoughts on this?
http://photos.boggis.com
BogeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #1988
Lost Rider
Unsubscribed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyMan View Post
You're running a 130? I'm not sure what the stock size is, but mine came from the PO with a 110... could it be the tire expansion at speed?

'nother question for you... have you (or anyone else for that matter) run into an issue with the breather and fuel boiling (or at least fuel getting v. hot)?

Yes a 130 tire, the manual says it comes with a 140 metzler so I thought it should be good since it's "smaller" than OEM. Maybe the D606 has more side knobs, there must be other people on here running a 606?...

I just went to my local Berg dealer that's close by, they said it was common for the chain to hit the mud flap, I'm taking it in tomorrow for a general inspection so we'll see what they have to say.

I've had no trouble with overheating or hot fuel even on some long steep climbs, but I have very little experience in the matter really and most of my riding to date has been desert riding with only a small amount of single track at the local OHV park.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #1989
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,436
Question for the Berg experts:

I bought my 2010 FE570 from the original owner with about 10.5 hours on the clock. It had the competition fuel map installed, plus had the restrictor removed in the exhaust can. It now has 17 hours total.

I have always had trouble starting "cold" - it takes 4 tries of 5 seconds on/5 second wait with the starter. I always prime the pump first. I have since added a Wings exhaust can using the less restrictive baffle, which made no difference.

My local (KTM) dealer said they would check it out when I had the suspension done by them, as I was hoping it had to do with the idle setting. They are familar with the bike, having done the fuel pump for the original owner (Ca Cycleworks), and after finishing the suspension, have said that this ISN'T normal. They said it used to be hit the button, and running.

I installed a 14 amp Shorai today, hoping the battery was part of the problem, but that didn't seem to make any difference.

Possibly today, when I went to prime the pump, I didn't hear it when I bumped the starter. I was in their shop, so I may not have been able to hear it. (They have several NC mills and lathes running, producing KTM race parts)
I KNOW I could hear it every time in the past, so I may have just missed it today.

It seems to run fine once it is running, and will restart right away if you stall it hot, or shut it down for a minute.

I may check the valves, as I'm not sure when they were last checked. Any other possibilities I should look at ?
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:27 PM   #1990
TLtrials
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
FL- have the throttle positioning sensor checked to start with.
TLtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #1991
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLtrials View Post
FL- have the throttle positioning sensor checked to start with.
Thanks TL -- every bit helps !
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #1992
hillwalker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
I am in love with this bike. First trail ride at Hidden Falls Adventure Park west of Austin. It brought many a smile to my face.

hillwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #1993
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Howdy fellow Husaberg owners!
My name is Finn.
Nice shot Finn.....welcome to Heaven on 2-wheels!

Your 606 is expanding at speed due to a double whammy of centrifugal force and heating rubber. I've encountered a similar problem running a Pirelli MT43 trials type tire. It ate a hole right thru my 390's mud flap and started wearing on my shock mount & swingarm, as it expanded. Plenty of room at slow trail speeds. My sidewall is not hitting the chain, because its smooth without knobbies protruding to outside, but I can see the sidewall has rubbed the swingarm on both sides.

I was going to swap to a 606....my favorite goto DS tire. But now, maybe not. A 120 size might be the answer. Cyborg is running Michelin T63's without any problem. That might be the best solution for dualsport duty.

Disable that 50mph EJECT button on this one....before flying down any rocky roads.

HF

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #1994
Lost Rider
Unsubscribed.

Thanks HF!
Been watching you be all happy and in heaven over here.... glad to be here too.
Not only are the bikes stellar all around, the Berg community seems to really have it's shit together in general. Lots of great info and helpful problem solving going on, I love it.
No ejection button on this bike, way too planted at high speeds in the desert.

As for the tires, what you're saying makes sense, except would the tire expand up, not to the side?
I did compare the OEM Metzler 140 tire to the 130 D606, they looked to be about the same width counting the side knobs, but it's hard to say since the Metzler isn't mounted.
The day I received the bike I did a high speed 80 mile highway roundtrip ride to get to nearest single track OHV area and the OEM tire didn't hit the chain on that ride.
Being cheap I actually mounted a 140 size 908RR that I had laying around first to see if it worked and it hit the chain on the first ride so I took it off and mounted the best tire for my needs and SoCal environment, the D606.
Hopefully I'm just screwing up the chain tension or the chain itself is bad or something else I've missed.... I would hate to not be able to run 130 D606's...

We'll see what the dealer has to say tomorrow while they're looking over the bike, luckily there's a Berg dealer 5 miles from home and a great KTM dealer even closer.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #1995
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,647
I pulled the ball bearing out of the cap and run the stock tube to the frame. The one time I had issues was when I tried a stubby vent. Pulled it off and the ball bearing out. Haven't had a problem since.

James Embro (The Race Shop) runs stubbies on the cool HSB gas cap, but he removes the ball and drills out the air opening in the cap.

James Renazco hooked me on running an ethanol/additive neutralizer called Phaser 3000. I use it or Starbrite in every tank of fuel in every vehicle I own. As most people know, ethanol is hell on fuel injection systems. As I understand it, the ethanol and additives are what's boiling.

Another thing to try is ethanol free fuel if you're lucky enough to have it in your area.

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote