Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2012, 08:37 AM   #2311
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,075
[QUOTE=b18c5rodney;18789877]i guess i jinxed myself with removing the fuel sock...

The sock probably had nothing to do with it. Sounds like a pump but for the noise you could hear. Your impeller may have come off the drive or was spinning so slow it didn't build enough pressure. Most lock up and will cool off and spin again for a few times b4 just crapping out completely. The newest pumps are probably OK, I have one in my 2011 570. The Ca pump is probably the only way to get on the road right away, or within a week anyway. Ask your dealer if he has the OEM updated pumps in stock. On my first pump it took 8 weeks to get a new one.

I pulled my sock filter too, what a PITA.
Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:54 AM   #2312
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,189
Sounds just like mine did on the first ride.. I could hear the fuel pump spin so I thought it was something else..but after reading hundreds of posts on this, and talking to the dealer they said it sounded like the fuel pump.. so I took it into them.. they pulled it.. it was the old style solid black model... they had assumed it had the new green topped model because the bike had been delivered so late in the year... Dec 2011. So they put the green topped one in... and I have done two day long, stop and go trail rides since, and the bike fires up on the first push of the magic button. It is definitely your fuel pump, IMHO.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:44 AM   #2313
Rider1
Ridin' Dave

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
I've heard about the Berg rally people using an external filter, anyone have a part number?
CanAm Part #709-000-100.

R1
Old 05-30-2012, 05:10 AM   #2314
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
HF, went riding this weekend with a friend who has had several MT43's on his 570 for a long time and has not eaten any holes in his mud guard. He did have to get a slightly longer chain, and you can see the axle is far back in the slot.

You can see in this picture that there is some clearance.

We rode lots of rocks and mud that day and I didn't see any issues with his setup.
Looks about same as mine. And yes, I've tried with a new chain +1 link. I'm betting you didn't ride down the highway at 70 mph. I think that is where my problem surfaced. High speed centrifugal force expanding the tire. Its probably ok for slower speed trail riding. But what do I know....

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:59 AM   #2315
Duken4evr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Seems like a good theory HF. Been told the MT43 really lasts well on pavement, but I think you are right about the clearance needed for it to "grow" at speed. How convenient. The tire "gears up" for you as you ride faster down the road

Here is a little video of my FE450 in action on one of the rougher rocky mountain trails I know of. Had to turn around as my buddy on his GasGas 300 was crying like a baby. Gotta love the 'Berg. They eat rocks for breakfast, lunch and dinner. No bike I have owned craves rocky nasty terrain like the Berg. It was a sunny day, with thin clouds that we went in and out of. That is why it looks a bit foggy here and there. High elevation mountain riding is a trip.

Not viewable on your fancy handhelds as music is mixed in. Did one of those half and half jobs where you can still hear the bike clearly but with music. The song chosen suits the trail, particuarly around 1:30 into it where it gets crazy sidehill with a drop off of death to the left. Mrs. Duke slapped me when she saw that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c7TB...=results_video

Duken4evr screwed with this post 05-30-2012 at 07:06 AM
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:36 PM   #2316
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider1 View Post
CanAm Part #709-000-100.

R1
Thank you very much!
Old 05-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #2317
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
The other day, I was riding my 2010 390 in some tight single track and noticed that the bike was running a bit hotter than normal. I also noticed a different exhaust note, sharper if that makes any sense. After you shut it off, you can hear the coolant making noise, creaking and groaning a bit but the rad cap never popped. I'm wondering if my fuel injector is plugged and in need of a flushing? It idles high also after riding it for a little bit.

Anyone have any ideas? It has started to be a bit tougher to start, I actually need to use the choke on the throttle body for the fist time since I've owned it.....hmmmm, sounding more and more like a plugged injector.
Have you ruled out valve clearances being out of spec? Could explain harder starting and even maybe the exhaust note.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:16 PM   #2318
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Looks about same as mine. And yes, I've tried with a new chain +1 link. I'm betting you didn't ride down the highway at 70 mph. I think that is where my problem surfaced. High speed centrifugal force expanding the tire. Its probably ok for slower speed trail riding. But what do I know....

HF
Well actually HF, he has a lot of fast miles on the MT43 too, both high speed gravel and paved. He's 6'3" and weighs 250 as well and has stiffer springs on the bike. Dunno.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:50 PM   #2319
Sproat Sport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Brought my '11 390 back to the dealer to get fuel problem sorted (luckily still under warranty)...whether it's the filters or pump we'll see. Hopefully they replace both parts and I can get back to riding asap.
Sproat Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:17 AM   #2320
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakes View Post
Have you ruled out valve clearances being out of spec? Could explain harder starting and even maybe the exhaust note.
I second this thought.
OhioPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:18 AM   #2321
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
Well actually HF, he has a lot of fast miles on the MT43 too, both high speed gravel and paved. He's 6'3" and weighs 250 as well and has stiffer springs on the bike. Dunno.

I've had no problems running the rear MT-43 on my Berg. Mine is an '09 though, which came with a longer chain. The chain length is definately the issue here IMO.
OhioPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:16 PM   #2322
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Does anyone have the manual and willing to post the section about the valve adjustment? I have the CD but no windows machine to view it
Old 05-31-2012, 01:40 PM   #2323
TNkayaker
Wookin' pa nub

Oddometer: 89
for the valve adjustment, go look at Husaberg.org. Someone there has taken the time to explain it clearly and provide photos. It's very easy to do, once you remove a few things to gain access.

Mark
Old 05-31-2012, 04:26 PM   #2324
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,189
Valve adjustment

http://www.husaberg.org/forum/viewto...14416&start=15
Old 06-01-2012, 05:16 AM   #2325
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,636
Quote:
Guess I got a dud....

Should have kept my Trials bike instead.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote