Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2012, 09:00 PM   #2326
Sproat Sport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Just to report...dealer says my fuel issue ('11 FE390) was due to badly plugged up filters and a kinked hose in the tank. Fuel pump is one of the newer ones and is fine. They also rinsed out the tank...which I insisted upon.
Looking forward to getting this bike back and moving 'er beyond the 12 hour mark.
Sproat Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #2327
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Guess I got a dud....
Should have kept my Trials bike instead.
HF
Hey HF, by friends bike is an '09 too, so maybe the swingarms are different on our '11's, who knows...
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:02 AM   #2328
Knobbiethrower
ADV in ADK

Oddometer: 1,164
Joined this group yesterday A brand new 11 570 FE followed me home.

It's resting peacefully next to it's big cousin.. (990 ADV)

Knobbiethrower screwed with this post 06-02-2012 at 06:33 AM
Knobbiethrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #2329
loph917
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 4,342
welcome to the club knobbie! won't be long and blue is going to out number orange in the capital region!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knobbiethrower View Post
Joined this group yesterday A brand new 11 570 FE followed me home.

It's resting peacefully next to it's big cousin.. (990 ADV)
Old 06-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #2330
Duken4evr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
If the fuel is boiling it isn't pumping well to the injector. I'm going to grab a lower temp fan switch and deal with killing the battery I guess. It is like dancing on a tightrope with these bikes. I've had both the pump and a battery die and there is nothing more depressing than a barely audible "click" when you push the button.

I bought into the li-po battery craze big time thru 4 different manufacturers. Now I won't even own one. With the load of the 570 and the heat it builds forget it.
No worries about killing the battery. With a burly 211 watts output, the 'Berg's stator could run the fan all the time with no ill effects. I have the lower temp BMW 90/95C switch on my FE450 and it is perfect. Per my Trail Tech readout, the fan comes on at 203F instead of 223F like the stocker and the bike stays noticibly cooler in the tough stuff as a result. Just do it.

Part number ATM 1435033 at NAPA, cost is about $20 and it is completely plug and play. Leave the rad cap on, undo the old, pop in the new and you will lose very little coolant.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #2331
Knobbiethrower
ADV in ADK

Oddometer: 1,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by loph917 View Post
welcome to the club knobbie! won't be long and blue is going to out number orange in the capital region!
Thanks Loph. Can't wait to get her dirty. Do you have any advice on any "must do's" on the bike for setup?
Knobbiethrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:25 PM   #2332
loph917
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 4,342
- radiator fan.
- engine ice instead of stock coolant (these two solved my overheat issues to date).
- bigger rear sprocket (the stock 42 sucks for the hills at enduro camp).
- make sure the fuel pump is the "new" version or it will fail (eventually).
- optionally replace the bash plate (the stock one is actually pretty good).
- barkbusters/hand guards.
- optional map switch (i haven't found a need).
- pull the rear tail pipe screen (this will open it up enough so that it's better all around).
- optionally remove the smog gear (mine is still there) but everyone else seems to have done pulled theirs.
- plug the crankcase vent thingy (that stupid contraption will snap off, damhik). goes with the above item.
- ride the shit out of it. it is possibly the most fun bike ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knobbiethrower View Post
Thanks Loph. Can't wait to get her dirty. Do you have any advice on any "must do's" on the bike for setup?
Old 06-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #2333
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,710
If you ride on bitumen or hard pack at all then get your wheels balanced otherwise the front end is like a pogo stick.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #2334
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,093
I checked my valve clearances today. They have yet to move (.15mm intakes and .16-.17mm on the exhaust). Not too shabby for 174 hours and 3588 miles
OhioPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #2335
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

I put a bit of time in garage and installed a few more goodies (weight) to the Berg.

First was a blue bit that's been sitting on the workbench a few months, the Bulletproof Designs chain guard swingarm tabs guard.

Next up was to get the tools out of my backpack to a nice low location where there's empty space. I had seen another Berg rider do this and it has proven to be sturdy, so I copied it and installed a Agri Supply $5.00 Tool Tube . Bit of solvent washed the yellow ink right off of it. A bit of trimming and a few low profile bolts later it looks pretty tidy and out of the way IMHO.

I also wanted a higher bar position and a bit more dampening of the bars for my wrists but didn't want to use Flexx bars this time. I spotted a new shock absorber mount from BRP so I got this bundle and installed it, along with the BRP Hand Guard Mounts, which weigh the same as the Cycra clamps and bar clamps they replace, but more rugged.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:51 AM   #2336
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,093
Nice work! Really liking the tool tube. Is it out far enough to avoid contact with a knobby rear tire?
OhioPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:45 AM   #2337
ChR1s
Spherical Bastard

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
I put a bit of time in garage and installed a few more goodies (weight) to the Berg....

I also wanted a higher bar position and a bit more dampening of the bars for my wrists but didn't want to use Flexx bars this time. I spotted a new shock absorber mount from BRP so I got this bundle and installed it, along with the BRP Hand Guard Mounts, which weigh the same as the Cycra clamps and bar clamps they replace, but more rugged.
That does look nice. With regard to the sub-mount, is the bar position adjustable forward/rearward? I welcomed the additional height with the BRP sub-mount I installed on one of my other bikes, but the bars were also moved back a bit at the same time.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:16 AM   #2338
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChR1s View Post
That does look nice. With regard to the sub-mount, is the bar position adjustable forward/rearward? I welcomed the additional height with the BRP sub-mount I installed on one of my other bikes, but the bars were also moved back a bit at the same time.

ChR1s
, the 2011 OEM top triples have 2 bar-clamp positions, forward and rearward. The new BRP submount can only use the rearward, so yes it moves the bars back 1/2" or so. Didn't bother me because I'm 5-10 and still fits well.

OhioPT
, yes the tool tube easily clears the knobby, in fact has more clearance than the exhaust can. No worries there, and nice to be able to use that big open space under there. A soft pack probably wouldn't survive in the same spot.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:01 AM   #2339
Sproat Sport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Nice work Cyborg. I'm still blown away by that headlight mod you did too. Could you tell me where you got your ram ball mount mirrors? Thanks.
Sproat Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:12 AM   #2340
BaronVonDarrin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 546
can you buy these state side? I thought the only ting you could get from Husaberg here were the two strokes?