User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #2371
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,710

HF

p.s. All the ladies are paying Sweet Thang a visit this week.
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:47 PM   #2372
YamahaTN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief_lee_visceral View Post
I run the MT43 on my 570S and it did put a hole in my mud flap but once I noticed that I put a longer chain I had around and it was okay then. Agree totally with Seth because we have trails like that around here and once you use one you start making the time to change it out when you have one on your plan.
Ok........I'm getting confused here (I know......it didn't take much) because I am reading that some folks are getting the MT43 on their FE570S using a slightly longer chain and some folks are saying it cannot be done. I'm used the using the MT43 on my WR250R and would like to use it on my FE570S. Can anyone post up some definitive chain/sprocket information whereby they were able to use the MT43 without rubbing holes in "not nice" places? Were you able to properly tension the chain or did you run out of slot in the swing arm?
YamahaTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:09 PM   #2373
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,146
HF, I did take that ball out a little while back, but I do have one of this gold vent thingies on my vent hose.... maybe it needs to go too. There was a lot of pressure in my tank when my boiling/no start happened. It took a while for me to let the pressure out of the tank, not letting fuel spit out.

I was at 9,000 feet, and I don't have any additional tanks yet.

I'll lose that vent cap thingy and see how it goes.... heading back up soon.

Thanks for the info and thinking of me, sounds like you had a great solo ride and got a little LOST.

Also I've had the same experience with it not starting when I either kill the motor with the handlebar switch and let it sit while I do my thing (mostly photos) or by my lack of good clutch control and let it sit. Starts up after cycling the ignition, sometimes though it takes a few turns or more. Only once has it taken 15 minutes to start back up after the gas-boil.

A new MT 43 rear tire mounted, we'll see what all the praise is about real soon... but my chain is not the original and I don't recall the number of links Neither is my gearing stock so I'm not sure I can shed light on you're answer YamahaTN.... Most of you wouldn't want to run the gearing I am. Currently 14/45, played with 13/48, 13/45 and 14/48. I figured I can get the most comfortable RPM's and MPG for traveling with this and go to 13/45 for the trails in a few minutes. ( no truck for me = more compromises for my bike) It was at towards the end of the adjusting on the swing arm with 14/48, but I took a link out since I went back 45 on the rear, now I'm pretty close to the swing arm, but it doesn't seem closer than when I mounted my last new tire and before I added a link to facilitate a larger rear sprocket.
If this tire expands much at highway speeds I might need to add that link back and move it back.

I'll post up some photos soon.

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 06-08-2012 at 10:31 PM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:14 PM   #2374
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,865
Couldn't use the MT 43 on my 390, clearance was far too close for me and the tyre fitter.

Using a Maxxis Dualmaxx instead and so far it has been excellent compared to a 606 and the oem Six Days tyre.

http://www.maxxis.com/MotorcycleATV/...maxx-Rear.aspx

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:53 PM   #2375
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Couldn't use the MT 43 on my 390, clearance was far too close for me and the tyre fitter.

Using a Maxxis Dualmaxx instead and so far it has been excellent compared to a 606 and the oem Six Days tyre.

http://www.maxxis.com/MotorcycleATV/...maxx-Rear.aspx
Can somebody measure and see if the FE570 swingarm is a little longer than the FE390? Maybe in the specs hmmm... Since the MT43 seems to fit on the 570's but not the 390's.

Those Maxxis look pretty good. May try those next.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:14 AM   #2376
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

You would think they would be the same.

There was room with the MT 43 but not for mud, picked up rocks or crap in the tyres or possible shape change of the tyre. I didn't try a longer chain though, just what was standard on the bike.

There is heaps of room with the Dualmaxx fitted.

xronly
Old 06-09-2012, 04:57 AM   #2377
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,363
Finn,

The guys and I all used the CV4 blankets, and we had no problems with them at all. They seemed to work great, even idling the bike at higher RPMs (to create enough electricity for winch and fan) with no air flow through the rads for longer periods it did not overheat or boil the fuel once.

Clif,

390/450/570 all use the same swingarm, in fact it's the same basic casting as all non-linkage 125-530 KTMs have been using since 2008 (only the inner width gets machined differently, the XC4 engines are wider than 2 strokes etc). One of my other bikes has a Berg 570 swingarm in an 08 505 XC-F frame with a 06 450 RFS engine and it bolted right in and is the right length, with the right rear shock pickup point... gotta love the KTM parts bin system!

I don't think there is anything special about the MT43 in the 390/450/570 application that would prevent it from fitting properly as long as you go with the right chain length and sprocket combination.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger

LukasM screwed with this post 06-09-2012 at 05:04 AM
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:05 AM   #2378
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Lukas, did you have your header pipes ceramic coated?

xronly
Old 06-09-2012, 05:10 AM   #2379
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,363
Nope, didn't get around to it. Walter's and my headers were stock, Barton wrapped his with DEI tape. I am sure it can only be an improvement but so far it has not been necessary.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #2380
Lost Rider
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Can somebody measure and see if the FE570 swingarm is a little longer than the FE390? Maybe in the specs hmmm... Since the MT43 seems to fit on the 570's but not the 390's.

Those Maxxis look pretty good. May try those next.

Here you go:

Thanks for the reply Lukas, I thought it was you but was obviously mistaken.

LostRider.com
Old 06-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #2381
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,195
Got the 570 out for a solo ride for a few hours this morning west of Las Vegas before the heat got too bad.

Here's a few pics...

Love my Berg!

"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #2382
Knobbiethrower
ADV in ADK

Oddometer: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by loph917 View Post
- radiator fan.
- engine ice instead of stock coolant (these two solved my overheat issues to date).
- bigger rear sprocket (the stock 42 sucks for the hills at enduro camp).
- make sure the fuel pump is the "new" version or it will fail (eventually).
- optionally replace the bash plate (the stock one is actually pretty good).
- barkbusters/hand guards.
- optional map switch (i haven't found a need).
- pull the rear tail pipe screen (this will open it up enough so that it's better all around).
- optionally remove the smog gear (mine is still there) but everyone else seems to have done pulled theirs.
- plug the crankcase vent thingy (that stupid contraption will snap off, damhik). goes with the above item.
- ride the shit out of it. it is possibly the most fun bike ever.
Thanks for the tips...

When you state "REMOVE THE SMOG GEAR" does that mean all of it, including the junk behind the left side rear side panel?
Knobbiethrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:36 PM   #2383
Lost Rider
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticGS View Post
Got the 570 out for a solo ride for a few hours this morning west of Las Vegas before the heat got too bad.

Very nice photos Larry!

LostRider.com
Old 06-09-2012, 09:25 PM   #2384
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Probably worded that incorrectly. 'Wouldn't' instead of couldn't as the clearances were too close and it is always muddy and clay where I ride.

xronly
Old 06-10-2012, 01:35 AM   #2385
Knobbiethrower
ADV in ADK

Oddometer: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knobbiethrower View Post
Thanks for the tips...

When you state "REMOVE THE SMOG GEAR" does that mean all of it, including the junk behind the left side rear side panel?

Seek and you shall find...answers on pg 42......
Knobbiethrower is offline   Reply With Quote