Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2012, 04:15 PM   #2506
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
1986-1987 Audi 4000Q Aux fan switch, 95-90C I'll grab one on Thursday and make sure it fits but I know it will.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:48 PM   #2507
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,630
Water Pump Weep Hole Mod

I decided to do the Weep Hole Mod while I had the pipe off at the coaters. This afforded a better unobstructed view (than previous photos I've seen), not too mention easier access for installation.

As mentioned previously by Cyborg, you can purchase the 1/8" brass tubing and the silicon hose (high temp fuel line) at a Hobby Shop.....the kind that sells remote controlled RC cars, and little gas powered airplanes.

The biggest challenge is sanding down the brass tubing. It started at 3.20mm O.D. and needed to be reduced to 3.0mm to fit in the hole.

I squeezed the Dremmel in my vise (to hold it still) and locked in a short piece of tubing. Turned it on high speed and simply held a piece of emory cloth to the tubing. Didn't take very long. I stopped often to recheck the O.D. with my digital micrometer. Voila....done.

This mod was quite simple to perform, and is supposed to keep dirt out of the water pump chamber, which has apparently caused some premature seal failure. I don't know where it actually ranks in real priorities, but I like the concept.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:40 PM   #2508
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
I decided to do the Weep Hole Mod while I had the pipe off at the coaters. This afforded a better unobstructed view (than previous photos I've seen), not too mention easier access for installation.

As mentioned previously by Cyborg, you can purchase the 1/8" brass tubing and the silicon hose (high temp fuel line) at a Hobby Shop.....the kind that sells remote controlled RC cars, and little gas powered airplanes.

This mod was quite simple to perform, and is supposed to keep dirt out of the water pump chamber, which has apparently caused some premature seal failure. I don't know where it actually ranks in real priorities, but I like the concept.

HF
CopyCat!

Oh wait, I copied Lukas...

Good pix on your valve check HF!
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:50 PM   #2509
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga View Post
Bar risers. What are y'all using that fits the KTM/Husaberg triples? Integrated with a damper or not, looking at what the options are. Thanks.
From a few pages back in this thread...

BRP's new damper risers with Scotts mount

Old 07-04-2012, 07:22 AM   #2510
APBlack
nOOb on a fly

Oddometer: 199
Oh dang it does fit the Scott's mount. I didn't need to see that. So does it really soften the vibes a bit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
06 KTM 950 Adv (orange one)
05 Honda 650L
APBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #2511
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by APBlack View Post
Oh dang it does fit the Scott's mount. I didn't need to see that. So does it really soften the vibes a bit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
Yes it does take away the zings from rock hits, and you don't feel any motion like you do with the Flexx bars. My hands & wrists definitely feel better after hours of rocky riding, compared to stock bar. Like the setup so far.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #2512
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Ceramic Coated Pipe

Great balls of fire! I got my pipe back from the coaters.

Ain't she purdy?

Not a bad match if I don't say so myself. Well, I guess I actually did.

But more importantly, it looks better than the Cyborg's!

And once again, I found my self using the 1/4" drive socket with that little swivel joint (& a T-30, or course).

Now then, if I just had a working fuel pump I could actually try this thing out....

HF
Old 07-05-2012, 06:33 PM   #2513
YamahaTN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
So who did the coating and how much???
YamahaTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:57 PM   #2514
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Not a bad match if I don't say so myself. Well, I guess I actually did.

But more importantly, it looks better than the Cyborg's!
HF
Looks very nice HF, but... matte finish boy.

Did they coat the inside too, like they should? If they didn't you're missing a big part of the heat protection.

Up here in muddy-land PNW the racerboys all told me the matte finish grabs and holds dirt/mud too much and to definitely get gloss finish, which is what I did, and lifetime guarantee too. I can tell you it sheds mud and slop very well. Matte might look more purdy and I'm sure fine for dry country.

Besides my pipe and frame rails are mostly hidden by guards anyway, so don't need the fashion queen match there.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:59 AM   #2515
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaTN View Post
So who did the coating and how much???
Just some local paint & coating shop I found in Tulsa.....first one I came across. Turned out to be the only one in the whole area. They charged me $50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Looks very nice HF, but...
Did they coat the inside too, like they should? If they didn't you're missing a big part of the heat protection.
Now you tell me.....%#@$! That's just peachy!

I guess we will have to get surface temp probes and compare measurements with each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post

Up here in muddy-land PNW the racerboys all told me the matte finish grabs and holds dirt/mud too much and to definitely get gloss finish
Well, that settles the matter. If mine gets dirty, I'll just sell it. I ain't having a bike that won't keep itself clean.

Besides, gloss wasn't an option down here. Apparently, the authorities don't allow it in. Must be too harmful to the Indians, or something.

HF
Old 07-06-2012, 06:03 AM   #2516
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
You guys are lucky, $50 for ceramic coating is a steal! At least 3 times that over here if you can even find anybody...

Clif,

Wasn't it you who mentioned that it might be better to leave the mid pipe bare or it would burn the packing out of the muffler because of too much heat retention?

Wondering if that might actually be a problem after removing the restrictions, or especially with a titanium muffler that runs a lot cooler than stock.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:24 AM   #2517
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,182
I like the ceramic coating.. but for now my heat blanket, new black topped fuel pump, and my more open muffler seems to have eliminated any heating issues.. and I ride slow and hot oh yeah and the Shorai battery turns it over like a champ. I may put the stock pipe back on since the aftermarket pipe is a bit loud for my taste.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:38 AM   #2518
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
You guys are lucky, $50 for ceramic coating is a steal! At least 3 times that over here if you can even find anybody...

Clif,

Wasn't it you who mentioned that it might be better to leave the mid pipe bare or it would burn the packing out of the muffler because of too much heat retention?

Wondering if that might actually be a problem after removing the restrictions, or especially with a titanium muffler that runs a lot cooler than stock.
Hi Lukas, no that wasn't me about the partial coat, but I do remember somebody saying that -- and it was leave the header pipe uncoated. The mid-pipe is the key part you do want coated to keep heat off the fuel tank. I haven't noticed any problem issues with mine so far and I asked a few racerboys up here about that (they race bikes, snowmachines and cars) and they chuckled a bit and one said "packing is cheap!". They all coat the whole thing, inside and out and are fussy about which places they use because poor ceramic coating jobs will start cracking. What do I know, I'm pretty new to the whole thing.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:09 AM   #2519
bkowal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
FE450 Dead, Need Help!

I have just about given up, this is a plea for help.

I have a 2009 FE450. When the bike runs it runs great. Unfortunately, it is not running. It starts and runs for about 5 seconds then shuts down. It seems the computer cuts the power.

Here is what I have done to help diagnose/fix the problem
- Installed new battery
- Bypassed the roll over sensor
- New spark plug
- Ripped the entire wiring harness apart looking for breaks/shorts
- Tested every sensor per the repair manual, all are well within spec for voltage/resistance/continuity
- Checked fuel pump pressure, its +40PSI, FUEL PUMP IS WORKING, all filters are clean
- No error codes are being thrown

I had other issues. Previously, bike would run great for about 1.5hrs, then start bogging, stall and finally not start again. It has left me stranded a few times this way. I thought I had the problem fixed, but happened again last weekend. The Berg fairies didnt fix it this time, which in a way is good, because when I fix the problem this time, it should be fixed.

I am at the point where I dont know what to do next. Everything simply tests fine but bike wont run.

Any ideas? I need this fixed, I have missed a couple races already this season.
bkowal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #2520
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkowal View Post
- Checked fuel pump pressure, its +40PSI, FUEL PUMP IS WORKING, all filters are clean

Any ideas? I need this fixed, I have missed a couple races already this season.
Have you checked the injector itself? Is it err... injecting?
Is there any chance of checking the ECU (swap yours out onto another bike to check it's working)?
Checked coil?
Regulator?

When you say "Ripped the entire wiring harness apart looking for breaks/shorts" - did you also check the connectors up near the starter-relay? I ask that because recently when I was cleaning/servicing my 570, I noticed that one wire feeding into a connector was loose. It hadn't caused a problem up until that point, but it was one of those things that if I hadn't spotted it by chance it would surely have vibrated loose somewhere in the middle of nowhere.