Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #2776
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,018
My 2011 is in the shop right now getting the fuel pump replaced on warranty...
"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #2777
PABiker
Anywhere but here

Oddometer: 3,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambre_OWNZ View Post
Have any of you had any issues of your fuel pump not working when the bike is still hot? Rode it for about an hour then shut it off to get some fuel, tried to start it back up but the fuel pump wouldn't kick on. So I let it sit for about 45 minutes and it fired up. It's still under warranty so I'm bringing it in tomorrow, just wondering if anyone else has come across that problem like I have
Yep, I'm on #3.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:36 PM   #2778
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,586
Mine ate 3 too, makes me smile everytime I read that a guy won't buy any bike without FI. Just saw that posted a few minutes ago in fact.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #2779
boduke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Mine too

My 2011 is also in the shop at the moment getting a bad fuel pump replaced.
Maybe the question should be: Who hasn't had a fuel pump issue...

I'm kind of suprised there wasn't an official recall.
It's a fantastic bike thou, would buy it again tomorrow. But it does rub the wrong way to have such a universal issue with such a $$$ bike.
boduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #2780
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambre_OWNZ View Post
Holy Smokes that's ugly ! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post

That one too….

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:17 AM   #2781
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by boduke View Post
My 2011 is also in the shop at the moment getting a bad fuel pump replaced.
Maybe the question should be: Who hasn't had a fuel pump issue...

I'm kind of suprised there wasn't an official recall.
It's a fantastic bike thou, would buy it again tomorrow. But it does rub the wrong way to have such a universal issue with such a $$$ bike.
There are lots of bikes that are still on the original pump and working fine, that's why there is no recall. It's mostly the 2010 and early 2011 bikes that have problems, due to too tight tolerances as mentioned. Generally they are good with replacing them though, even out of warranty.

Once you get a good one (brown top), they work. I know of one with 450+ hours on it.

LukasM screwed with this post 09-19-2012 at 12:52 AM
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:37 AM   #2782
TLtrials
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
My 09 FE 450 is still on the stock pump, stock injector, no extra fuel filters, etc. I change the oil, clean air filter after every race, suspension serviced 1-2 times per year, chain/sprockets/brakes/tires are all that have been done to it. It has been raced in scrambles and enduros during 09, 10, 11, and so far in 12. About 175 hours so far, valves are still in spec. Great bike.

My 11 FE 570 still has the stock pump, but the hours are low, I am around 38 hours right now. No pump issues so far.
TLtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:50 AM   #2783
ganshert
not sleeping

Oddometer: 7,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLtrials View Post
My 09 FE 450 is still on the stock pump, stock injector, no extra fuel filters, etc. I change the oil, clean air filter after every race, suspension serviced 1-2 times per year, chain/sprockets/brakes/tires are all that have been done to it. It has been raced in scrambles and enduros during 09, 10, 11, and so far in 12. About 175 hours so far, valves are still in spec. Great bike.

My 11 FE 570 still has the stock pump, but the hours are low, I am around 38 hours right now. No pump issues so far.
No issues on my '10 FE570
ganshert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:56 AM   #2784
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
TLtrails & Ganshert,

Do either of you happen to know what pump you are running as far as black top or brown top? Haven't checked mine yet but would like to know what my likelihood of running into problems is if I have the black top. Dealer already said that they know of no problems with the '11s (" don't believe everything you read on the internet!") so I doubt they will change out an old style pump without it having issues first.
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #2785
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,163
The all black pump shipped in bikes in 2011 has cause the most issues. It was a batch of pumps provided by a vendor that were built incorrectly.. the brown topped pump will give you no issues. If you have a 2011 and have had no issues, more than likely your dealer performed the swap before you bought the bike. The dealer I bought mine from had been swaping them out regularly, they just didnt do mine because it came so late in the year, and they figured the factory had already done it... they were wrong since I got the new pump in, I have had zero issues, I am running no fuel sock, no inline filter, but I do have the heat shield under the tank and I put fuel additive in on most fill ups.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:39 AM   #2786
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

My dealer did not mention a swap. They made it sound like they weren't needed. I will check and see what color mine has in it. I have the sock and inline filter in mine.

The most horrible thing is that I have had this bike a month and only have about 10 mins of ride time, in my neighborhood! New job and vacation. Hopefully get to fix that this weekend!
Old 09-19-2012, 09:40 AM   #2787
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

mrt10x,

You still in?
Old 09-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #2788
chief_lee_visceral
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtskir222 View Post
I bought one of those very same tubes to fit on my bike.
could not get it to fit so the tire does not crush it.
same here... but I am trying again. Too hot sometimes and I want to only wear MX type gear without on person tool storage.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:01 AM   #2789
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTheFallen View Post
My dealer did not mention a swap. They made it sound like they weren't needed. I will check and see what color mine has in it. I have the sock and inline filter in mine.

The most horrible thing is that I have had this bike a month and only have about 10 mins of ride time, in my neighborhood! New job and vacation. Hopefully get to fix that this weekend!
Quote:
mrt10x,

You still in?
Mine died after 12 miles and about 30 minutes of trail riding.. it was the black topped fuel pump.. make your dealer replace it.

I am still in .. I have an approved retirement date of 31 Aug 2013 though Then off to Colorado where I have a house waiting for me in Woodland Park.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #2790
TLtrials
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
TLtrails & Ganshert,

Do either of you happen to know what pump you are running as far as black top or brown top? Haven't checked mine yet but would like to know what my likelihood of running into problems is if I have the black top. Dealer already said that they know of no problems with the '11s (" don't believe everything you read on the internet!") so I doubt they will change out an old style pump without it having issues first.
On the 09 450, don't know, it has never been out. On the 11 570, I took the pump out for the 70 degree tank install, but I can't remember what color it was. I know the dealer did not change my pump on the 11 before I bought it. I am friends with all the guys at the dealer, and know they didn't do it. They recommend the CA cycle works pumps for any bikes that have issues, especially after warranty is up.

TLtrials screwed with this post 09-19-2012 at 07:52 PM
TLtrials is offline   Reply With Quote