User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 11:19 AM   #2911
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,352
While on the subject of oil.
Trying to get the case oil filter bolt off for the first time. the one by the drain plug.
That fooker is tight! won't budge. I'm kinda paranoid about stripping anything.
Going to put a swivel extension on a 3/8 drive and have a go at it.
Is that right?

BTW, I'll be having a few odd noob questions in the near future so please excuse me.

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:52 AM   #2912
dirtyoffroad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
use a 6 point socket,and when you put it back use some neverseaze on it
dirtyoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #2913
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyoffroad View Post
use a 6 point socket,and when you put it back use some neverseaze on it
Thanks!
Now what's all this thick goop on it? Did I have to pay extra for it?

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:19 AM   #2914
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
Thanks!
Now what's all this thick goop on it? Did I have to pay extra for it?
Looks normal to me.. lots of pics with more crap on the screen from the first oil change. IMHO
Old 10-29-2012, 10:36 AM   #2915
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Question

On the subject of oil changes... the manual says 1.35l (that's 1.43 qt) - does anyone know how much additional to add if I have a Rekluse fitted (with the extra clearance clutch cover)? I can't see through the dark glass of the oil level sight glass. Whose idea was it to use dark glass?

Next question...

Couple of weeks ago I took a little "dirt nap" (actually more of a "rock nap") - and the bike impacted on the lower section of the right-side radiator. Of course, I had no guards fitted . I suffered minor damage to the radiator - bent, but not broken or cracked. I carried on riding for the remainder of that day's ride and all seemed well.

So, fast forward the this past weekend... I was checking things over before loading up for a ride on Sunday. As soon as I turned on the ignition (bike is totally cold, just wheeled out of the garage), the fan started up. Apart from that all was well. So, for the meantime, I just took the fuse out of the fan and once again all was well for the day of riding.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Broken temp sensor? Wasn't there some earlier discussion on temp sensors that fit the 570's? I'l go have a search, but if anyone can provide a direct pointer, that'd help.

Does anyone have any recommendations for radiator repair/straightening (preferably in SF Bay Area)?
Old 10-29-2012, 11:22 AM   #2916
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
I wonder if your temp sensor wires got bent together and are now touching. It is the thing at the bottommost outside corner of the right rad.
I installed a sensor from a 89 bmw325, which turns on the fan 10F sooner.

If you want to buy another rad, check the cross ref on the part number. it has to be a ktm rad, which should be no problem to get on flebay.
rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:36 PM   #2917
Blakduk
Just trying to get by.

Oddometer: 1,204
It seems a common consensus that the cam chain tensioner on the bergs is not up to doing its job that well. There are at least two 'better' aftermarket ones out there. One that is a manual tensioner with a ratchet, and one that uses hydraulic pressure (similar to the stock one) but also has a ratchet.

Is there any strong evidence which one out there I should buy for my FE450? It's up to a 1000kms now and I probably should think about getting a better CCT for it.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:43 PM   #2918
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,889
I'm not saying which one you should get (Dirt Tricks or the manual DJH unit), but I installed a DT CCT on my friend's bike. Here is the before and after. Dramatic to say the least. Her FE450 has 100 hours on it at the time the CCT was swapped out. My other frien's 530 is due, but it doesn't sound anything as bad as this one. His usually smartens up after a minute or two.

Before

After

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakduk View Post
It seems a common consensus that the cam chain tensioner on the bergs is not up to doing its job that well. There are at least two 'better' aftermarket ones out there. One that is a manual tensioner with a ratchet, and one that uses hydraulic pressure (similar to the stock one) but also has a ratchet.

Is there any strong evidence which one out there I should buy for my FE450? It's up to a 1000kms now and I probably should think about getting a better CCT for it.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:56 AM   #2919
frostyuk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
i spoke to my berg dealer about the cct apparently there were two versions of the automatic cct on the early ones the adjustment increments were too large hence the rattles, the later ones were much smaller and less of an issue. the one on my 09 fe450 had been replaced with the newer version and sounds fine to me ymmv
frostyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:55 AM   #2920
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,137
So, if I have a 2010 FX450, do I have the updated CCT?
Old 11-01-2012, 03:00 PM   #2921
Blakduk
Just trying to get by.

Oddometer: 1,204
This is extraordinary. Obviously the original tensioner was not working AT ALL. The chick is pretty nice too.

I dunno about the dealer saying that post 2010 bikes had a better tensioner. My local dealer is still recommending putting in an aftermarket tensioner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post
I'm not saying which one you should get (Dirt Tricks or the manual DJH unit), but I installed a DT CCT on my friend's bike. Here is the before and after. Dramatic to say the least. Her FE450 has 100 hours on it at the time the CCT was swapped out. My other frien's 530 is due, but it doesn't sound anything as bad as this one. His usually smartens up after a minute or two.

Before

After

Old 11-02-2012, 12:44 AM   #2922
Zombie025
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Time to say Goodby, the replacement is younger, weighs less... . I spent a quite nice time with youplease sign the divorce papers

Zombie025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:53 AM   #2923
frostyuk
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post
So, if I have a 2010 FX450, do I have the updated CCT?
comparing the parts fiche for my 09 fe450 and the 10fx450 the part numbers are different so i would "guess" so. On the 10 fe450 fiche there is also an * next to the part number so maybe it changed during that model year ???

Quote:
I dunno about the dealer saying that post 2010 bikes had a better tensioner. My local dealer is still recommending putting in an aftermarket tensioner.
well thats what they told me when i asked about putting a manual cct on, seeing as they race them, am sure would be happy to take money off me and seeing as mine sounds fine i havent touched mine
Old 11-02-2012, 03:03 AM   #2924
Xmoto
Death Race

Oddometer: 2,107
I have read that the automatic tensioners can ratchet to tight when the oil is cold. I had a manual DJH tensioner and was happy with it. http://www.djhcyclesport.com/husaberg-parts.html
Old 11-02-2012, 03:27 AM   #2925
frostyuk
Gnarly Adventurer

wolfman carry all

Any one used one on the berg ? thoughts ? opinions ?

thanks