Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 08:48 AM   #3166
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
A little help from the experts in here is needed.... I've been getting some coolant leakage out of this hole.... what does that mean and how can I stop it?

Thanks!

-Finn

Water pump seal is gone....cheap and easy fix...some of the Bergs had the seal put in backward at the facotry...if that is the case you may get the fix for free...some say that sand enters into the weep hole that you are pointing to (sand riding)...a small diameter hose (2" or so in length) glued into place there makes it much harder for sand to enter...
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #3167
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,092
Cool, thanks for the info. I haven't taken it off yet, getting ready to... the hole looks like its pretty far from the gasket and there's no leak around the gasket itself, are you saying that the gasket can let coolant leak through the hole?

Then, with hat said, does anyone know if this gasket has a KTM equivalent? My local Husa dealer doesn't stock shit for parts, but my local KTM dealer does...

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #3168
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Quote:
Cool, thanks for the info. I haven't taken it off yet, getting ready to... the hole looks like its pretty far from the gasket and there's no leak around the gasket itself, are you saying that the gasket can let coolant leak through the hole?

Then, with hat said, does anyone know if this gasket has a KTM equivalent? My local Husa dealer doesn't stock shit for parts, but my local KTM dealer does...
Not the gasket for the pump cover....the green seal around the pump shaft....
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Old 01-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #3169
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Finn, this is what Nowwhat is referring to.

http://husaberg.org/forum/viewtopic....116647#p116647
rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #3170
woods wizard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 691
Here is a full desc. of the weep hole mod. http://www.husaberg.org/forum/viewto...p?f=25&t=14199
Old 01-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #3171
Lost Rider
Roadie

Thanks fellows, here's the part numbers for the gaskets, local Ktm shop had them for me. Guess ill do that mod too while I'm in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LostRider.com
Old 01-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #3172
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Quote:
Thanks fellows, here's the part numbers for the gaskets, local Ktm shop had them for me. Guess ill do that mod too while I'm in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
great "how to"

http://ridedualsport.com/forum/index.php?topic=2658.0
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Old 01-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #3173
woods wizard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 691
Bear eats Husaberg !!!!

Check this out http://www.dirtbikemagazine.com/ME2/...2A68AFB168BC1F
Old 01-02-2013, 01:51 PM   #3174
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,933
Quote:

Lost,

Lukas, HighFive and I did the weep hole mod documented earlier in this thread. Recommend you do that after you replace your water pump seals, to keep dirt out of the seal compartment:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=2085

Be thankful Husaberg put a air-break weep hole zone between the water and oil seals in the water pump, otherwise you could get water directly in the oil. My KTM LC8 engine dos not have that feature and I paid dearly for that failure.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:09 PM   #3175
Lost Rider
Roadie

Trouble in paradise!!!!

So recently besides the coolant leaking out the weep hole I've been leaking oil from the countershaft sprocket, bought a new o-ring at the ktm dealer and a hardened dome washer from dirt tricks, thinking that would solve the leak..... boy was I wrong!
After getting the parts to do what work I planned on doing in preparation for another Baja adventure, I found this.

Look like I'll be doing some major engine work as my countershaft is not looking good.
The bike currently has about 12,000 miles on it, 50% pavement. I've kept a close eye on the countershaft, looking for wear and didn't see ANY at all before I went to a hardened Dirt Tricks countershaft sprocket.... really regretting that now as it only has about 3000 miles on it and now it's screwed. I should have known better, something has to give...

Moral of the story is don't use sprockets harder than the countershaft and get a cush-hub if you DS your Husa.

Which leads me to the next question, how hard is it to split the case and do all the work myself? I'm not afraid to get in there, but never done it and don't have any specialized tools. I guess it would be wise to replace the rings while I'm in there and anything else I find....

Around $500 in parts is what i was told for just the countershaft, gaskets, and other bits I'll need to replace.
I have one labor estimate from a local independent mechanic of 10 hrs @ $70 an hour, with the engine already removed from chassis, waiting to hear back from local Husa dealer with theirs. Money is tight right now and I'd rather do the work myself, but I don't want to get in over my head and end up paying in the long run...
What will I need to do the work besides the service manual, basic tools, and plenty of beer?....

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 04:14 PM
Old 01-02-2013, 04:02 PM   #3176
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Ouch....

$70 an hour is pretty reasonable though.....

Perhaps post up in Regionals for an inmate that could help for less or maybe a photoshoot trade?
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Old 01-02-2013, 04:27 PM   #3177
Lost Rider
Roadie

Yeah, Ouch is right....

I just got a quote from a great Husa dealer that's further away but I trust much more than my local one for around $1100 total parts + labor, they do all the work...

Dropping it off tomorrow I think, I just want it done and done right. Look for a nice Leica camera for sale in FM soon.

Just sent Woody a PM about getting a cush hub, something I knew I should do long ago but kept putting it off...

I still can't help but feel the real culprit is the Dirt Tricks "hardened" sprocket. 80% of all my miles with no wear at all on the countershaft with standard sprockets, then install the DT, go for one little ride down Baja and here I am.

Live and learn, I'll be remembering this one for quite some time.
Of course Nancy with her new CRF and I were to be leaving this coming tuesday for 11 days riding back in Baja, I'll either have to ride her G650GS or try to change the whole trip plans. The dealer said best case scenario would be end of next week, but no promises.

Shit.

LostRider.com
Old 01-02-2013, 04:52 PM   #3178
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

The other factor is when you switched from a knobby to a DS tire like the Mefo SE....you lose the "Cush" of the knobs and voila....
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Old 01-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #3179
Lost Rider
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
The other factor is when you switched from a knobby to a DS tire like the Mefo SE....you lose the "Cush" of the knobs and voila....

There's logic in that statement, but what about all the miles (half of them) I have on worn out knobbies, they wouldn't provide any cush either.

It sucks, but I am pushing the intended purpose of this bike's design by riding it how I do, I hoped this wouldn't happen... either way I won't be using the DT front sprocket ever again.

I'm just glad I caught this now, would have been very pricy to get my bike home from LaPaz next week.... It could have been much worse. Plus I'll know exactly how this motor is actually doing now with all these DS miles.
Trying to stay positive.

LostRider.com
Old 01-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #3180
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,933
Quote:
There's logic in that statement, but what about all the miles (half of them) I have on worn out knobbies, they wouldn't provide any cush either.

It sucks, but I am pushing the intended purpose of this bike's design by riding it how I do, I hoped this wouldn't happen... either way I won't be using the DT front sprocket ever again.

I'm just glad I caught this now, would have been very pricy to get my bike home from LaPaz next week.... It could have been much worse. Plus I'll know exactly how this motor is actually doing now with all these DS miles.
Trying to stay positive.
Based on your experiences Lost, I'm sticking to standard countershaft sprockets. They are cheap and easy to replace on the trail if it came to that. I'm still running the stock type sprockets but don't have anywhere near the miles on it that you do and it's been all on knobbies. Thought I'd invest in the cush hub sooner than pay more later.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote