Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #3301
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
I replaced my OEM Yuassa battery right off the bat with a Shorai... I know there has been a lot of discussion about their problems with starting in the cold.. and there are youtube videos that support those problems. Those videos seem to be all about bigger bikes, where I think the CCA of the Shorai battery is fairly close to the OEM requirement.. I thought I would head to the garage yesterday and see how the bike would start after sitting, not on a charger, in a cold garage for over two months. Temps here in RI have been as low as 8 F and some days have prob reached 45F.. but the average has prob been in the 30's. Yesterday it was 30 and snowing.. sorry about the goofy phone video and piss poor commentating

Tapatalk is not showing the video... Can we have a text version of the results please sir?
RememberTheFallen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #3302
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,262
Did my Shorai at 20 degrees stored overnight in a cold trailer and it took about 5 minutes of short bursts and wait - pulse cranking before the battery final woke up. I do not recommend the Shorai for cold weather winter riders that commute daily in cold weather.
I got Shorai batteries in all my bikes but then again I usually don't ride much below 30 degrees.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:33 PM   #3303
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTheFallen View Post
Tapatalk is not showing the video... Can we have a text version of the results please sir?

Started right up first push.. I could try it again later when it is supposed to be in the teens.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:13 PM   #3304
Cyberg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
I have a Shorai in my New Berg FE 350. We have had some real cold weather (-8) and mine would still start no problem.
Cyberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #3305
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Laugh D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyMan View Post
Can anyone clue me in on this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pICuhLn_2GA

So, that was my problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
Looks like 3 long 3 short. Check your users manual should have an error code list. Page 77 in my manual " check the injection valve". " Malfunction in injection valve circuit cylinder 1". There is only 1 cylinder so not sure why they say that ;)
And this pointed me to my solution (thanks Seth)... a real D'OH! moment .
Of course the shiny new injector doesn't "inject" very well, unless you connect it

Problem solved.

And my original reason for replacing the injector (and adding the inline filter) - hard starting and inability to keep on running. Early indications are that it's all better now. I'll know for sure tomorrow since I don't wanna piss off all the neighbors by starting it up in the driveway at 10pm on a school night. I'll test out my theory tomorrow am.
http://photos.boggis.com
BogeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:09 PM   #3306
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

DV anyone?

Anyone "here" signed up for this: Mar. 28-31, 2013 Death Valley Noob's Rally?

I've never been to DV, so even though it's a couple of months away, I'm looking forward to it.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:11 PM   #3307
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,137
If people would follow the specific shorai cold start directions they would have a lot less trouble... Turn on headlight to let the battery warm up, wait a few minutes, then start.... Years of cold weather shorai starts with various bikes tells me they are correct with the directions.

Had an interesting night in the mountains, much later than anticipated...
More info to follow, waiting on diagnosis.

Got some new blue bling though. (:

Mobile ADV Fix Complete

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 10:18 PM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:32 PM   #3308
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post

Hmmm... that looks suspiciously like the bed of a tow truck... (the word "Towing" is also a bit of a giveaway).
Old 01-22-2013, 11:02 PM   #3309
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,784
Can't turn lights on on our bikes unless the bike is running. We don't have keys or anything, just an start and off switch.

xronly
Cruz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:53 AM   #3310
pRICK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
If people would follow the specific shorai cold start directions they would have a lot less trouble... Turn on headlight to let the battery warm up, wait a few minutes, then start.... Years of cold weather shorai starts with various bikes tells me they are correct with the directions.

Mobile ADV Fix Complete
Lost,

You don't happen to have a photograph of your lower tank mount like this? My mount is 40mm out. I will have to weld an extension on the bracket.

pRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:29 AM   #3311
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 7,007
Anyone get one of the newer underseat tanks yet? Build quality better?

Also, the inline fuel filters. Searched and didn't find... Is there a "recall" or something to add them at the dealer? Or is there a part number for them?

I'd like to keep the factory quick disconnect. Is there enough room to add the filter on either side of the disconnect?

Thanks.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:04 AM   #3312
Lost Rider
Roadie

Quote:
Anyone "here" signed up for this: Mar. 28-31, 2013 Death Valley Noob's Rally?

I've never been to DV, so even though it's a couple of months away, I'm looking forward to it.

I lead some rides last year and will probably be doing the same this year, while I prefer riding/camping alone, that's a fun event.

pRick, how's this photo?

I had to mount mine in this order to get it to work, now it comes off and goes back on easily.

First the top tank mount at the fill cap, then those front bottom mounts, then the rear/side mounts. Leaving the front bottom bolts in but loose until you get the back bolts in, then tighten. Might have had to push down on the rear of the tank to get the front bolts in.

Is this a brand new tank of yours?

LostRider.com
Old 01-23-2013, 10:29 AM   #3313
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
If people would follow the specific shorai cold start directions they would have a lot less trouble...

Turn on headlight to let the battery warm up, wait a few minutes, then start.... Years of cold weather shorai starts with various bikes tells me they are correct with the directions.
Same goes for any of the LiFePO4 type batteries.

After some web research I decided upon AntiGravity batteries (here's their, somewhat biased, comparison: http://antigravitybatteries.com/?page_id=2748). I have one in my Husaberg and one in my 1200GS. On colder mornings, if I try to start the GS without following the "proper procedure", the starter will barely turn the motor over. If I turn on the lights, wait 30s - 60s (putting on helmet, gloves, etc), then hit the starter, it fires up first time, every time. The Husaberg gets to sit in the garage, so all I have to do there is turn it on, wait 10s and then hit the button. Now (since I replaced the injector - and connected it) it starts right up.

Quote:

Nice bling on the rear wheel there.

BUT, that pic raises some questions...
  • What spring do you have on your shock there? Mine's white - I really don't know what the rating is on mine. I should check. I know the guy I bought my FE from weighed a little more than me, and I find it's sprung just right for me.
  • Can we get a close-up shot of whatever you have hanging off the left side on your stock subframe?
  • What tire did you go for this time? You raved about the Meefo earlier, but that doesn't look like a Meefo to me :-)
Oooh, one more thing - I notice you've not wrapped your header. Any reason?
Old 01-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #3314
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,192
I've been chasing my tail with my 2011 570, 1500 miles. Just got the word that to start off, the auto decomp isn't auto decamping. 2nd KTM I've had in 4 years to have this go bad. First was my 450SXf. The problems others had in 07/08 aren't resolved I guess.

Between this and a dirty injector that I already cleaned I've got my fingers crossed. If your is laboring to turn over, consider the AD as well as the battery.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #3315
Lost Rider
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga View Post
Anyone get one of the newer underseat tanks yet? Build quality better?

Also, the inline fuel filters. Searched and didn't find... Is there a "recall" or something to add them at the dealer? Or is there a part number for them?

I'd like to keep the factory quick disconnect. Is there enough room to add the filter on either side of the disconnect?

Thanks.

There's a new (grey) factory inline filter that goes in the fuel line right before the injector, mine was installed at a dealer for free as it's part of a factory recall.

Part # 26

I have the popular Can-am filter folks were installing, never used and a Profill tank sock filter if anyone wants them, make me an offer for both.... Not sure if there would be enough room to leave the quick release in there and add the Can-am filter though.

Got the news from the dealer....

So I just had my countershaft replaced, along with new piston rings installed at Malcolm Smith Motorsports. Got the bike back over the weekend, met Malcolm himself when picking it up, did a bunch of mods for carrying tools and general adventuring over the weekend and then took it for a short shake down ride before I was to set out on another Death Valley adventure. I had noticed a loud ticking noise, like described for the normal KTM cam chain tensioner wearing out, something they had recommended I replace soon, but the bike was running good. Didn't like the sound though and ordered a replacement while on the ride.
I was on my way home, back on paved roads when the bike just died, like a switch was thrown. No sputtering, no nothing just dead. Couldn't get it started, luckily I wasn't on the rough single track like I had been a half hour earlier and had cell service, Progressive road side assistance was called and 5 hours later I got towed 50 miles home. Took them a while to get up the long tight twisty mountain road I guess.

Took the bike back to the dealer and I've been told the intake rocker arm has seized to the shaft.
Initially they though the loose cam chain has caused a tooth to skip and the timing was off, but that wasn't the case.
No other damage to the engine, but the seizing wasn't allowing the valve to close all the way - no compression, no running engine. The speculation is somehow there was blockage of oil to that particular gallery in the rocker arm shaft, though they said there was oil flowing out the various jets that are fed by the gallery that comes up and feeds that side of the motor.
The dealer is covering the repairs, though said they couldn't find why it was blocked.

While frustrating, once again I'm just glad this happened when close to home and within reach of help, and also that the dealer is taking good care of it, shit happens.

I have a dirt tricks tensioner in hand already to put in once I get the bike back tomorrow, and speaking of, I spoke with the guys at dirt tricks about my counter shaft failure after I put on one of their sprockets. They said it was a myth that their sprocket is harder than the counter shaft, gave me some numbers saying the shaft carbon treated steel was 60 some kind of hardness and their sprocket was 55. No way their sprocket caused it, and it must have been worn already, and running on the street without a cush hub is the likely cause, they said.

Of course the sprocket is still under their 1 year no questions asked warranty, so I have another one getting sent to me....
Now that I have a Woody's Wheel, I guess I could try it out again.... I trust what Lukas says about their experience with them, having cush hubs on their Husa ADV bikes...

On a positive note, I had one hell of a nice view while waiting for a tow, and also watched a big wildfire start, move up a hillside and then get extinguished.

Quote:

Nice bling on the rear wheel there.

BUT, that pic raises some questions...
  • What spring do you have on your shock there? Mine's white - I really don't know what the rating is on mine. I should check. I know the guy I bought my FE from weighed a little more than me, and I find it's sprung just right for me.
  • Can we get a close-up shot of whatever you have hanging off the left side on your stock subframe?
  • What tire did you go for this time? You raved about the Meefo earlier, but that doesn't look like a Meefo to me :-)
Oooh, one more thing - I notice you've not wrapped your header. Any reason?

I'm not sure what spring it is, I bought the bike barely used with 300 miles on it, the original owner had the bike lowered 1.5" and sprung for him at 180 pounds and I haven't changed it. Would like to get that Orange thing off my bike someday though. lol

No header wrap yet just because I'm lazy, and honestly I don't ride too much slow going technical single track in hot weather, only had a heat issue once and that was before I added a fan. Someday when I have it all apart I'll do it, for now I just want to ride the darn thing!

That's a little pelican box I just mounted while getting carrying tools sorted out, I'm going to do an little update with the latest stuff I've done for traveling on the husa in the ADV traveler thread real soon.

Those are Motoz Tractionator Desert H/T tires, I think I posted up about them in the Traveler thread. Same cost as a D606, and are lasting longer, very happy with all around performance. The Mefo super explorer is great for long distance DS travels when tires changes aren't wanted, the Motoz is great for the kind of desert riding I do while staying closer to home and can keep fresher tires on the bike instead of needing to stretch them out. Probably about the same cost per mile I'm getting out of them respectively, but I'd rather have a more aggressive, change more often fresher tire when I have the option to order them online and change it at home.
That Motoz in that pic has about 1200 miles on it. 50% pavement. I expect to get 2000 miles out of it, so it seems to wear a little better than a 606.

LostRider.com