Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 11:40 AM   #3316
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,166
I think in the rush to find fixes for the overheated gas/locked up fuel pump/clogged fuel screens issues the community came up with a plethora of answers.. not all of which need to be implemented on any one bike. Header wrap, heat blanket, heat fan, lower temp BMW thermostat switch, Can-am inline fuel filter, more open exhaust, etc (did I forget any??) Anyway, I have an aftermarket exhaust, heat blanket, the replacement OEM fuel pump and I have run slow, gnarly single track in 90 degree days and the bike starts right up. I think as long as you have done one or two of the mods, ALL are not necessary. I may wrap the header some day when I have the bike completely apart, because I already have the wrap on hand, but I am not going to go out of my way to do it because the bike just doesnt need it.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:50 AM   #3317
dirtyoffroad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga View Post
Anyone get one of the newer underseat tanks yet? Build quality better?

Also, the inline fuel filters. Searched and didn't find... Is there a "recall" or something to add them at the dealer? Or is there a part number for them?

I'd like to keep the factory quick disconnect. Is there enough room to add the filter on either side of the disconnect?

Thanks.
On Munn Racing site it is part #78141013044 $10.49
dirtyoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #3318
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyoffroad View Post
On Munn Racing site it is part #78141013044 $10.49

That is the old filter which has been replaced with this one.
http://www.ktm-parts.com/78141013190.html

"New fuel filter with a mesh width of 20µ ”microns” identified by the light gray color of the frame (previous mesh width was 10µ with a black frame). "

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #3319
pinevalley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyMan View Post
Anyone "here" signed up for this: Mar. 28-31, 2013 Death Valley Noob's Rally?

I've never been to DV, so even though it's a couple of months away, I'm looking forward to it.
You bet! Thurs to Sunday.

Casey
pinevalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #3320
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Anyone get one of the newer underseat tanks yet? Build quality better?
I spoke to Dale today regarding delivery of the new tanks. He has told me that he is prepping the deliveries right ow and is hopeful that he can get out all the waiting orders and warranty replacements within the next week. Apparently there has been some small design changes from the original regarding the inserts (that caused so many of the issues in the original version). Anyway, I am on that list and I've been waiting patiently for a while... As soon as I see one in the flesh, I'll let you all know.

Quote:
Also, the inline fuel filters. Searched and didn't find... Is there a "recall" or something to add them at the dealer? Or is there a part number for them?
This is what I ordered (KTM part number: 75041023144) from post #3262:

I believe there was a recall for the inline filter, and also for the fuel pump (brown-top vs. black-top fuel pump) .

If you order the new injector, it comes with an inline filter and a replacement one-time use host clamp (see pic above). BUT - if you go to your local KTM dealer he might have the warranty kit for the 500 EXC in stock, which just has the filter and a reusable hose clamp (but I don't know the part number or the recall info) I think. I had hard-start issues, so I went with a new injector. I've only had a few goes so far, but indications are that my hard-start issue is completely resolved now.

Quote:
I'd like to keep the factory quick disconnect. Is there enough room to add the filter on either side of the disconnect?
It's tight (insert favorite punchline here ) but many have made that mod over the smaller inline KTM filter.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #3321
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,078
Some great technical stuff here that I'm not smart enough to add anything to but it makes good reading, so thanks to the experts.

One small point I can add is on the header wrap. I don't like the stuff, it's ugly, promotes corrosion, and adds thickness creating clearance problems. Why not ceramic coat, inside and out? - reduces heat (as does the wrap), inhibits corrosion, doesn't add significant thickness and looks nice.

The PO of my FX450 did 2 things to mitigate exhaust heat - ceramic coated header pipes and put on an FMF Powercore 4 muffler. The bike hasn't overheated, boiled fuel or had fuel pump problems. He had this done by the dealer before delivery.

While I'm here, I found that the tractor owners manual tube sold by gatogato in vendors will fit/clear everything and can be mounted inside the left rear fender. I have some pics of what I did and will try to post them up here later.

I wanted to try a little windshield added to the mask. I mounted the KTM 690 Touring Screen using some stand offs and long bolts. Haven't tried it out but it seems sturdy enough and looks good. I had a similar setup on my old 640Adv that worked well. Again, I have some pics of the result that I'll post if anyone's interested.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #3322
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post
Some great technical stuff here that I'm not smart enough to add anything to but it makes good reading, so thanks to the experts.

One small point I can add is on the header wrap. I don't like the stuff, it's ugly, promotes corrosion, and adds thickness creating clearance problems. Why not ceramic coat, inside and out? - reduces heat (as does the wrap), inhibits corrosion, doesn't add significant thickness and looks nice.

The PO of my FX450 did 2 things to mitigate exhaust heat - ceramic coated header pipes and put on an FMF Powercore 4 muffler. The bike hasn't overheated, boiled fuel or had fuel pump problems. He had this done by the dealer before delivery.

While I'm here, I found that the tractor owners manual tube sold by gatogato in vendors will fit/clear everything and can be mounted inside the left rear fender. I have some pics of what I did and will try to post them up here later.

I wanted to try a little windshield added to the mask. I mounted the KTM 690 Touring Screen using some stand offs and long bolts. Haven't tried it out but it seems sturdy enough and looks good. I had a similar setup on my old 640Adv that worked well. Again, I have some pics of the result that I'll post if anyone's interested.

I like the looks of that touring screen, seems like it would help on cold long days, thanks for posting. Not too pricy either.

http://www.ktm-parts.com/76508065000.html

The tool tubes don't fit on the FE570S as it's a different subframe with cutout to hold emissions stuff the bike required to be 50 state street legal. I'm sure some other guys might want to see yours though, cyborg has one on his 390.

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 03:55 PM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:54 PM   #3323
Rider1
Ridin' Dave

Oddometer: 160
LR;

Looks like maybe you were up on El Camino Cielo maybe near Gilbraltar Rd? I've been up there a couple of times and ridden it over to the motocross track/Divide Peak route and beyond. Nice views and a nice ride too !

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post

Old 01-23-2013, 07:50 PM   #3324
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,343
First air filter cleaning. 22 hours on the bike.
Found some oil in the airbox. Normal?

Also, wired up a powered lead for my mini pump on to what looks like a relay.
Hook up make sense? Should I put in an inline filter?

Last thing, should I be concerned that my foam air filter is brown now and not green? I cleaned it pretty good.

and no I'm not going to use the search button
Thanks

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390

scorpion screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 08:01 PM
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:16 PM   #3325
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,934
Quote:
I like the looks of that touring screen, seems like it would help on cold long days, thanks for posting. Not too pricy either.

http://www.ktm-parts.com/76508065000.html

The tool tubes don't fit on the FE570S as it's a different subframe with cutout to hold emissions stuff the bike required to be 50 state street legal. I'm sure some other guys might want to see yours though, cyborg has one on his 390.

I just ordered up that touring screen, and will try that out. Remember when ordering from ktm-parts/berg-parts, create a login, which gives you a lower price and then also use the coupon code: RIDETHEWORLD to save an extra 5%.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #3326
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,934
Quote:

Those are Motoz Tractionator Desert H/T tires, I think I posted up about them in the Traveler thread. Same cost as a D606, and are lasting longer, very happy with all around performance. The Mefo super explorer is great for long distance DS travels when tires changes aren't wanted, the Motoz is great for the kind of desert riding I do while staying closer to home and can keep fresher tires on the bike instead of needing to stretch them out. Probably about the same cost per mile I'm getting out of them respectively, but I'd rather have a more aggressive, change more often fresher tire when I have the option to order them online and change it at home.
That Motoz in that pic has about 1200 miles on it. 50% pavement. I expect to get 2000 miles out of it, so it seems to wear a little better than a 606.
Lost, those Motoz tires look good for offroad. How are they on wet and dry pavement?
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:51 PM   #3327
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
More than I've ever seen in mine. Sure you didn't overfill with the last oil change? Mind you, I've also never gone more than about 6-8 hours between checking my filter and/or changing it. Oil changes I tend to go about 10-15 hours or whenever I feel like it. If you're going to go that long between filter checks/changes, I'd suggest investing in filterskins.

Quote:
Also, wired up a powered lead for my mini pump on to what looks like a relay.
Hook up make sense? Should I put in an inline filter?
Not where I'd have put it. Whenever I've done things like that, I've gone straight off the pos/neg battery terminals with an inline fuse. I'm not sure what running a mini pump would do to the starter relay as that relay is designed to shunt a lot of power (AMPS) for only a short period of time.

Quote:
Last thing, should I be concerned that my foam air filter is brown now and not green? I cleaned it pretty good.
Err that's not clean. Not by a long shot. What did you clean it with? That looks like a filter that was coated with NotOil and you used something other than the proper NotOil cleaner (gasoline?). If it was "oiled" with NotOil, then NotOil cleaner is just about the only thing that'll work. If that's not the gas, try some gas. If that doesn't work - buy a couple of new filters (I always have a clean spare - ready to be (Not)oiled up.

Quote:
and no I'm not going to use the search button
Thanks
Lazy git.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:51 AM   #3328
pRICK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
I lead some rides last year and will probably be doing the same this year, while I prefer riding/camping alone, that's a fun event.

pRick, how's this photo?

I had to mount mine in this order to get it to work, now it comes off and goes back on easily.

First the top tank mount at the fill cap, then those front bottom mounts, then the rear/side mounts. Leaving the front bottom bolts in but loose until you get the back bolts in, then tighten. Might have had to push down on the rear of the tank to get the front bolts in.

Is this a brand new tank of yours?

Thanks for that. I mounted mine the same way, but the tank had to twist to get a bolt in the right side. The way it is now the front left mount is perfect and the two rear mounts line up well. It is not a new tank.

Rather than twisting anything or putting pressure on any of the mounts I will extend the bracket.

Rick
pRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:40 AM   #3329
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,604
Quote:

Holy Crapoly 22 hours until first air filter cleaning!

Why?

Keep that up with a foam filter and you won't have to worry about cleaning it much longer. You're motor will be dead soon!

Its the easiest filter to access for cleaning in the whole motorcycle world. Doesn't even require a wrench to access.

Throw that one away and replace it with a new filter. In fact, buy two filters.....like the other guy said. Keep a clean one on hand as a spare. Swap them out after 5 hours or so. I'll refresh mine after a day or two of riding in the dusty trails.

I wash mine gently & thoroughly in a bucket of hot water and liquid Dawn dishwashing soap. Rinse thoroughly, squeeze out gently, and hang dry for a few days in the garage. Then, bag it in a ziploc storage bag to keep it clean on the shelf...ready for the next swap. Piece of cake that way, and always ready. You don't have to buy fancy high dollar cleaning solutions, though there is nothing wrong with doing so.

You definitely need to add oil to the clean foam filter before installing on the bike. I use PJ1 Foam Air Filter Oil in an aerosal can which I buy from the motorcycle shop. There are other brands available to. Just make sure its for "Foam Air Filter" not a paper filter. And, don't over do it. No need to drench it and wring it out with oil. Just give it a good outer coating and squeeze/rub/work it into the foam gently to cover the whole surface area. This helps trap small dust particles from passing thru the foam material.

Yes, the filter will stain a bit....and a bit more over time. That is normal and doesn't necessarily mean it is not clean. The fresh new color will fade and stain. BUT yours looks terrible.....start over with a new one. They are fairly cheap.

Don't clean the filter with gasoline repeatedly. Ok once in a long while. But continual exposure to gasoline or solvents will deteriorate the foam material and disbond the glued seams.......its a twin air filter with two types of foam glued together. Gasoline will disintegrate it over time.

Upon re-installation, coat the bottom mating surface of the filter (where it smashes onto the bottom of the filter box) with a thin layer of grease. I use my finger to wipe a fair amount of Bel-Ray bearing grease around the perimeter of the filter. This helps maintain a good seal to the airbox beneath the filter....keeping any particles from sneaking in there. Lots of "sucking" going on down there....the engine intake pulls in a lot of air.

Regarding the oil inside your airbox, no worries. It looks normal to me based upon your statement of 22 hours operations without a cleaning. Just wipe it up and clean the inside of the airbox carefully. Don't drop any dirt down into the intake tube to the throttle body. I have a small amount of oil pooled up inside my airbox (like that...just not as much) each time I replace my filter.

Hope that helps you out.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:57 AM   #3330
frostyuk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post
looking forward to seeing a pic off this, have you got the headlight/mask of the 2011 570s or the 450/390 mask with the smaller light unit

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take
away"
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900-1944)
frostyuk is offline   Reply With Quote