Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #3331
SilveradoTX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
HighFive... Thanks for sharing! That helped brighten my day and further added ammo to why I want to get on something I can adventure off the pavement with. And fantastic shots, too!
Old 01-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #3332
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Lost, those Motoz tires look good for offroad. How are they on wet and dry pavement?

They are great off road, these H/T are specifically designed " to handle harder terrain, especially hard trails, desert sand with hard pack variations and fast rocky conditions"

Some people report bad performance in mud, something they are not designed for, though I have ridden them out here when raining and found them to be just fine, but our mud and your mud is probably much different. Was surprisingly good on wet rocky trails.
Take a look at their site and see which flavor Motoz might be best for where you want to ride:

http://www.motoz.com.au/shop_content.asp?p=tyrerange

On tarmac performance is fine, doesn't feel much different than any aggressive DOT knobby to me. Good high speed highway stability, probably due to the large knobs on front, I survived riding home on wet twisty mountain roads one ride, though it was at night and I wasn't testing to see how hard I could push them in corners being solo and on a road with huge drop offs.

The dealer my bike is at carries Motoz, though they only have the I/T Enduro one right now, not the H/T Desert one. I might try it out since I'm planning on leaving from the shop to go to Death Valley later today and it could be raining all weekend.
Heading into the unknown on an untested bike... could be some adventure.
Go Husaberg!

Good eye Dave, that's about were I was at. If I would have been 20 miles down the trail on Divide Peak where I was coming from it would have been a much different experience and a long cold hike in MC boots. I wasn't as prepared as I should have been thinking I was just going for a few hours locally, will be adding an emergency bivvy sack and some power bars to my kit for "day" rides. Good learning experience for me, being overconfident when "close" to home.
I got to say, at least my issues have taken place in pretty convenient places considering where I've been.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #3333
Rider1
Ridin' Dave

Oddometer: 173
LR,

I see that you're going to Death Valley .... if you need some help give me a call. If you don't still have my number let me know here and I'll PM it to ya.

I hear ya about if you were further east on the Divide Peak trail. I think I saw that you carry one of these: I do and find it comforting knowing I'll have rescue contact with text communication available pretty much anywhere.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post

The dealer my bike is at carries Motoz, though they only have the I/T Enduro one right now, not the H/T Desert one. I might try it out since I'm planning on leaving from the shop to go to Death Valley later today and it could be raining all weekend.
Heading into the unknown on an untested bike... could be some adventure.
Go Husaberg!

Good eye Dave, that's about were I was at. If I would have been 20 miles down the trail on Divide Peak where I was coming from it would have been a much different experience and a long cold hike in MC boots. I wasn't as prepared as I should have been thinking I was just going for a few hours locally, will be adding an emergency bivvy sack and some power bars to my kit for "day" rides. Good learning experience for me, being overconfident when "close" to home.
I got to say, at least my issues have taken place in pretty convenient places considering where I've been.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #3334
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Holy Crapoly 22 hours until first air filter cleaning!

Why?

Keep that up with a foam filter and you won't have to worry about cleaning it much longer. You're motor will be dead soon!

Its the easiest filter to access for cleaning in the whole motorcycle world. Doesn't even require a wrench to access.

Throw that one away and replace it with a new filter. In fact, buy two filters.....like the other guy said. Keep a clean one on hand as a spare. Swap them out after 5 hours or so. I'll refresh mine after a day or two of riding in the dusty trails.

I wash mine gently & thoroughly in a bucket of hot water and liquid Dawn dishwashing soap. Rinse thoroughly, squeeze out gently, and hang dry for a few days in the garage. Then, bag it in a ziploc storage bag to keep it clean on the shelf...ready for the next swap. Piece of cake that way, and always ready. You don't have to buy fancy high dollar cleaning solutions, though there is nothing wrong with doing so.

You definitely need to add oil to the clean foam filter before installing on the bike. I use PJ1 Foam Air Filter Oil in an aerosal can which I buy from the motorcycle shop. There are other brands available to. Just make sure its for "Foam Air Filter" not a paper filter. And, don't over do it. No need to drench it and wring it out with oil. Just give it a good outer coating and squeeze/rub/work it into the foam gently to cover the whole surface area. This helps trap small dust particles from passing thru the foam material.

Yes, the filter will stain a bit....and a bit more over time. That is normal and doesn't necessarily mean it is not clean. The fresh new color will fade and stain. BUT yours looks terrible.....start over with a new one. They are fairly cheap.

Don't clean the filter with gasoline repeatedly. Ok once in a long while. But continual exposure to gasoline or solvents will deteriorate the foam material and disbond the glued seams.......its a twin air filter with two types of foam glued together. Gasoline will disintegrate it over time.

Upon re-installation, coat the bottom mating surface of the filter (where it smashes onto the bottom of the filter box) with a thin layer of grease. I use my finger to wipe a fair amount of Bel-Ray bearing grease around the perimeter of the filter. This helps maintain a good seal to the airbox beneath the filter....keeping any particles from sneaking in there. Lots of "sucking" going on down there....the engine intake pulls in a lot of air.

Regarding the oil inside your airbox, no worries. It looks normal to me based upon your statement of 22 hours operations without a cleaning. Just wipe it up and clean the inside of the airbox carefully. Don't drop any dirt down into the intake tube to the throttle body. I have a small amount of oil pooled up inside my airbox (like that...just not as much) each time I replace my filter.

Hope that helps you out.

HF
THANKS ALL!
I'm slowly getting used to the 'Berg lifestyle (ride>change oil > fix stuff > ride )

Going to get a new airfilter today and change the oil. Going to Death Valley tomorrow

I used a foam/oil cleaner I got from the honda shop, they said they are all pretty much the same

Regarding hooking up the power lead to the starter relay. it was recommended to me by the dealer who converted the bike to street legal. He said it was an easier install.
Should I move it to the battery? Is there a chance of shorting the starter?

Thanks again, looking for the "Noobs Berg FAQ" on the un-official site.
Theres A LOT of info to go through there

cheers

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #3335
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,482
Dunk that in a bucket of warm water and Oxyclean. Some staining can be normal. Keep rinsing it till you get no dirt falling from it in a clean white bucket or sink.

I get the oil pool too, high RPMs are my theory.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:22 PM   #3336
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
High speed wobble, solution

I had a higher speed wobble on my 2011 FE570. At 55mph+, it starts to dance nervously. If the surface was grooved, it would tramline dangerously. No amount of fork/shock adjustments, nor fork raise/lower would help enough. All this got a whole lot better when I was running street 17" tires.

So, when changing the rear tires back to the dirt set, I noticed there was play in the rear swingarm and wheel. I localized it to the top shock mount, as well as some sideways play in the swinger.

I torqued all three, and it turned out that the play in the swinger was the most accountable for stability for me.

So very happy to now have a bike that is stable to 95 (tested this past weekend on a ride).

Love this Berg!
rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #3337
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,229
I am bobbling back and forth but may sell my 09 FE450 as I am buying a house and trying to cover all my expenses etc. I love the bike...but I can always get another one down the road. The bike has rad guards, a rekluse, scotts damper, a Rigid Industried LED light and the dual sport harness is in place. I have the bike registered for road use in Vermont. Contemplating price but guessing $5500...input on price? (this is where everyone jumps in an offers a dollar...or 2 dollars...or a mostly living donkey for trade )

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #3338
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
I am bobbling back and forth but may sell my 09 FE450 as I am buying a house and trying to cover all my expenses etc. I love the bike...but I can always get another one down the road. The bike has rad guards, a rekluse, scotts damper, a Rigid Industried LED light and the dual sport harness is in place. I have the bike registered for road use in Vermont. Contemplating price but guessing $5500...input on price? (this is where everyone jumps in an offers a dollar...or 2 dollars...or a mostly living donkey for trade )
Wanna trade up to a 800gs?

I thought you was looking for a moose not donkeys...
Old 01-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #3339
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
Wanna trade up to a 800gs?

I thought you was looking for a moose not donkeys...
I have a bunch of Mousse actually. While I wasn't planning on a trade I might be tempted...would like a bigger bike for touring again...while I would not buy one new a trade is a possibility.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #3340
retroone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,356
If you used gas it would be clean!
Old 01-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #3341
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,181
I can't seem to make pics post up.

Here's a link to my Photobucket album.

The first few are pix of the KTM 690 Touring Screen on my 2010 FX450. The headlight and mask on my bike are from a KTM.

The second group show how I got gatogato's tool tube mounted on my bike and the MSR fuel bottle that fits in it.

The last couple are pics of the bike shortly after I got it last fall (pics taken on or near northern end of the Blue Ridge Parkway).

And the very last one is a heat shield a guy in Australia sent me.

Hope this works.

http://s1283.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0

SRG screwed with this post 01-24-2013 at 07:54 PM
SRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #3342
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,367
Figured out my air filter problem.
I used Notoil on the oem petroleum based filter. Didn't clean it.

Picked up a new air filter and going to clean the oem one with gasoline.

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:49 PM   #3343
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
They are great off road, these H/T are specifically designed " to handle harder terrain, especially hard trails, desert sand with hard pack variations and fast rocky conditions"

Some people report bad performance in mud, something they are not designed for, though I have ridden them out here when raining and found them to be just fine, but our mud and your mud is probably much different. Was surprisingly good on wet rocky trails.
Take a look at their site and see which flavor Motoz might be best for where you want to ride:

http://www.motoz.com.au/shop_content.asp?p=tyrerange

On tarmac performance is fine, doesn't feel much different than any aggressive DOT knobby to me. Good high speed highway stability, probably due to the large knobs on front, I survived riding home on wet twisty mountain roads one ride, though it was at night and I wasn't testing to see how hard I could push them in corners being solo and on a road with huge drop offs.
Thanks for the tire info Finn, don't get Lost out there, or... wait a minute, you DO want to get Lost.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:01 AM   #3344
frostyuk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post
I can't seem to make pics post up.

Here's a link to my Photobucket album.

The first few are pix of the KTM 690 Touring Screen on my 2010 FX450. The headlight and mask on my bike are from a KTM.

The second group show how I got gatogato's tool tube mounted on my bike and the MSR fuel bottle that fits in it.

The last couple are pics of the bike shortly after I got it last fall (pics taken on or near northern end of the Blue Ridge Parkway).

And the very last one is a heat shield a guy in Australia sent me.

Hope this works.

http://s1283.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0
thanks for that, i like the heel guard where did you get that ?

re the screen did you space it out from the mask for clearance reasons at the handlebar? without those spacers how well did the screen follow the contours of the mask i.e. will it fit nicely against the mask?

looks like a proper job on the tool tube

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take
away"
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900-1944)
frostyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:47 AM   #3345
pRICK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Sounds interesting pRICK! Which oil adapter are you going with?
Finally have it in my hands -

and a bit of bling - polished ceramic header and mid pipe

but it looks like a harley, so I will still wrap it.

Rick
pRICK is offline   Reply With Quote