Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #3331
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,487
Dunk that in a bucket of warm water and Oxyclean. Some staining can be normal. Keep rinsing it till you get no dirt falling from it in a clean white bucket or sink.

I get the oil pool too, high RPMs are my theory.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #3332
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
High speed wobble, solution

I had a higher speed wobble on my 2011 FE570. At 55mph+, it starts to dance nervously. If the surface was grooved, it would tramline dangerously. No amount of fork/shock adjustments, nor fork raise/lower would help enough. All this got a whole lot better when I was running street 17" tires.

So, when changing the rear tires back to the dirt set, I noticed there was play in the rear swingarm and wheel. I localized it to the top shock mount, as well as some sideways play in the swinger.

I torqued all three, and it turned out that the play in the swinger was the most accountable for stability for me.

So very happy to now have a bike that is stable to 95 (tested this past weekend on a ride).

Love this Berg!
rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:20 PM   #3333
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,809
I am bobbling back and forth but may sell my 09 FE450 as I am buying a house and trying to cover all my expenses etc. I love the bike...but I can always get another one down the road. The bike has rad guards, a rekluse, scotts damper, a Rigid Industried LED light and the dual sport harness is in place. I have the bike registered for road use in Vermont. Contemplating price but guessing $5500...input on price? (this is where everyone jumps in an offers a dollar...or 2 dollars...or a mostly living donkey for trade )

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #3334
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
I am bobbling back and forth but may sell my 09 FE450 as I am buying a house and trying to cover all my expenses etc. I love the bike...but I can always get another one down the road. The bike has rad guards, a rekluse, scotts damper, a Rigid Industried LED light and the dual sport harness is in place. I have the bike registered for road use in Vermont. Contemplating price but guessing $5500...input on price? (this is where everyone jumps in an offers a dollar...or 2 dollars...or a mostly living donkey for trade )
Wanna trade up to a 800gs?

I thought you was looking for a moose not donkeys...
Old 01-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #3335
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
Wanna trade up to a 800gs?

I thought you was looking for a moose not donkeys...
I have a bunch of Mousse actually. While I wasn't planning on a trade I might be tempted...would like a bigger bike for touring again...while I would not buy one new a trade is a possibility.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #3336
retroone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,435
If you used gas it would be clean!
Old 01-24-2013, 06:48 PM   #3337
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,326
I can't seem to make pics post up.

Here's a link to my Photobucket album.

The first few are pix of the KTM 690 Touring Screen on my 2010 FX450. The headlight and mask on my bike are from a KTM.

The second group show how I got gatogato's tool tube mounted on my bike and the MSR fuel bottle that fits in it.

The last couple are pics of the bike shortly after I got it last fall (pics taken on or near northern end of the Blue Ridge Parkway).

And the very last one is a heat shield a guy in Australia sent me.

Hope this works.

http://s1283.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0

SRG screwed with this post 01-24-2013 at 06:54 PM
SRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #3338
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,422
Figured out my air filter problem.
I used Notoil on the oem petroleum based filter. Didn't clean it.

Picked up a new air filter and going to clean the oem one with gasoline.

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:49 PM   #3339
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
They are great off road, these H/T are specifically designed " to handle harder terrain, especially hard trails, desert sand with hard pack variations and fast rocky conditions"

Some people report bad performance in mud, something they are not designed for, though I have ridden them out here when raining and found them to be just fine, but our mud and your mud is probably much different. Was surprisingly good on wet rocky trails.
Take a look at their site and see which flavor Motoz might be best for where you want to ride:

http://www.motoz.com.au/shop_content.asp?p=tyrerange

On tarmac performance is fine, doesn't feel much different than any aggressive DOT knobby to me. Good high speed highway stability, probably due to the large knobs on front, I survived riding home on wet twisty mountain roads one ride, though it was at night and I wasn't testing to see how hard I could push them in corners being solo and on a road with huge drop offs.
Thanks for the tire info Finn, don't get Lost out there, or... wait a minute, you DO want to get Lost.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:01 AM   #3340
frostyuk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post
I can't seem to make pics post up.

Here's a link to my Photobucket album.

The first few are pix of the KTM 690 Touring Screen on my 2010 FX450. The headlight and mask on my bike are from a KTM.

The second group show how I got gatogato's tool tube mounted on my bike and the MSR fuel bottle that fits in it.

The last couple are pics of the bike shortly after I got it last fall (pics taken on or near northern end of the Blue Ridge Parkway).

And the very last one is a heat shield a guy in Australia sent me.

Hope this works.

http://s1283.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0
thanks for that, i like the heel guard where did you get that ?

re the screen did you space it out from the mask for clearance reasons at the handlebar? without those spacers how well did the screen follow the contours of the mask i.e. will it fit nicely against the mask?

looks like a proper job on the tool tube

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take
away"
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900-1944)
frostyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:47 AM   #3341
pRICK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Sounds interesting pRICK! Which oil adapter are you going with?
Finally have it in my hands -

and a bit of bling - polished ceramic header and mid pipe

but it looks like a harley, so I will still wrap it.

Rick
pRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:37 AM   #3342
frostyuk
Gnarly Adventurer

Headlight

looking at that 690 touring screen got me doing a bit of research cos the shape of the screen doesnt quite fit the mask shape i.e. the screen v is inverted and mask v is normal. it looks like the 2008 690 enduro and the 2012/2013 690 enduro r have different lights to the ones on the fe570s but the 2009s-2011 have the same light. now the 690s have an h4 buld 55/60watt which would be a lot better than the std 35/35watt in the bergs and apparently the 2008 light/mask will fit without major issues on the 2009 models without a fender change (though am not sure how this mounts/fixes and what it does to the space behind the mask) which makes me wonder about swapping the headlight onto the berg ...... higher current draw definately and not cheap 90ukp for hte headlight, 25ukp for the mask but a neat fit for the screen, anyone got access to a 690 with one of these headlights unit to have a look?

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take
away"
Old 01-25-2013, 06:19 AM   #3343
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,326
frostyuk - no, the shield and the mask don't really matchup. Neither does the headlight shape. You can't mount the shield but so flush w/ the mask anyhow, as it has built in standoffs. I spaced it out much further (2 1/4"). I think the spacers could be up to 3/4" shorter, but at some point the shield will foul the handguards, GPS and the front brake line (which obviously needs room to move freely too). I have Rox bar risers on the bike which is putting all that stuff up higher.

Funny you mentioned the H4 bulb. The headlight on my bike has a plastic bulb holder for the 30/35w (stock) bulb which has a small base w/ pins - insert/push/twist/lock type design. I was fooling about one day and found that if you remove the plastic bulb holder, an H4 bulb will fit in the spot where the holder was. There's no recesses for the alignment tabs (of the H4 bulb) and no wire spring retainer so I held it in w/ safety wire. Not pretty but it works. The back of the H4 is a different shape and sticks out further than the old bulb holder, but the wiring connects right back up to the back of the H4 bulb. Because the H4 sticks out further and the wires go into the end of it, mounting the mask back on the bike was difficult (lack of space w/ all the wiring and the longer bulb). I used a combination of electrical tape ans spiral wrap to seal up the connection as the rubber cover won't work anymore. I made some spacer brackets that hold the mask out a little and a little straighter up, giving more room back there. Anyhow, the bulb (I used a 55/60w H4) switch is pretty easy, has worked well for me and the only cost is the H4 bulb, which I already had.

The heel guard is made in Australia. I didn't end up getting one as with shipping it was almost $100. The maker said we could get it down to closer to $70 w/ a group buy, but I couldn't generate enough interest.
SRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:58 AM   #3344
frostyuk
Gnarly Adventurer

thanks for the info

i've looked into the 690 headlight some more and i dont think it will work for me as i need space behind the mask for a fuzeblock so i'll give up on that idea for now

away"
Old 01-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #3345
hillwalker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Fan Kit

I'm getting ready to purchase the fan kit for my 390. The obvious choice is the Husaberg kit but has anyone tried the Dirt Tricks fan? It seems pretty basic with just an on/off switch and low power usage...but I'm not 100% sure it would fit. The site below indicates that it would, but has anyone tried and had success with it? Many thanks.

http://www.cyclebuy.com/shopping/dirttricks/fan_kit.htm
hillwalker is offline   Reply With Quote