ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 06:40 PM   #3376
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer
 
RememberTheFallen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: North Georgia
Oddometer: 398
Just saw this pic on the Giant Loop fan page on Facebook.



Jimmy Lewis's bike training for KOH. Pretty cool. Anyone know more???
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #3377
Navin
Beastly Adventurer
 
Navin's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Oddometer: 8,227
I'm getting my 2011 570 back tomorrow. Fuel pump #4, it was still spinning but low pressure, a new cam cause the A/D failed. 1500 miles of total horse shit reliability.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:00 PM   #3378
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer
 
BogeyMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Sac-o'-tomatoes, CA
Oddometer: 452
Santa finaly came...

Well, it's been a long wait. Some gave up. But I held on... and look what Santa (for some reason, wearing brown and driving a UPS truck) left me:





(the first pic was taken with a flash - the new version is definitely a lot lighter in color than the old one).
__________________
'06 BMW R1200GS (Street),
'11 Husaberg FE570S (Dirt),
'14 Yamaha R6 (Track)
http://photos.boggis.com
BogeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:17 PM   #3379
Lost Rider
Unsubscribed.
 
Lost Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Ventura County, California Republic
Oddometer: 3,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyMan View Post
Well, it's been a long wait. Some gave up. But I held on... and look what Santa (for some reason, wearing brown and driving a UPS truck) left me:


(the first pic was taken with a flash - the new version is definitely a lot lighter in color than the old one).

Holy shit, Elvis is alive!


Congrats, I guess some patience has paid off for you.
__________________
Photography for me is not about recreating what I saw through
the viewfinder but to show people the way I want to see the world.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:17 AM   #3380
PowerT
Beastly Adventurer
 
PowerT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: L.A....Los Anchorage
Oddometer: 1,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by pRICK View Post
Don doesn't make these any more, but he is one of the most helpful people I have dealt with.
Rick
Any reason why he is not making these anymore and what is the possibility of someone else producing these?
__________________
That’s the thing about traveling. If you’re looking for something, you can almost never find it. But if you are just open to what is there, it’s almost always awesome - Neduro

In spite of illness, In spite even of the archenemy sorrow, One can remain alive long past usual date of disintegration if one is unafraid of change, insatiable in intellectual curiosity, interested in big things and happy in small ways. - Edith Wharton


Need a smugmug coupon? Well here you go z0g48s072w1kE
PowerT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:26 AM   #3381
HighFive
Never Tap-Out
 
HighFive's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Okiehoma
Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee Bill View Post
Thanks for the response, I went out and 'found' the main fuse, pulled it with no effect, bike still starts. Now I see here I probably pulled a spare fuse

So then I decided to read the manual, it says to disconnect the battery before connecting a battery tender. So I did that. Now I need to go back and find the real main fuse. Probably easier to pull that that disconnect the battery.


.
Much easier......just disconnect the electrical connector to the fuel pump! It's right under front of seat at bottom of air filter. No tools required. Slip off, snap back on. When the Tender is turned on, I get one click and flash of lights then nothing else. The fuel pump cannot run or hum this way. Piece of cake.....works great.

HF
__________________
'13 Husky TR650 Terra, '11 Husaberg FE390, '10 KTM 450 XCW Six Days, '12 BMW R1200GS
The Okie-Dokie BDR Terra-izing the CDR Bergs Over the Rainbow
Texas or Bust! Rocky Mountain HighFive The Other Side of Nowhere
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:09 PM   #3382
Blakduk
Just trying to get by.
 
Blakduk's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Cooroy
Oddometer: 1,246
Just for fun I decided to have the rear wheel (on FE450, 2012) balanced when I got a new knobby put on.

130 grams later.........

and that is AFTER replacing the standard rim lock with a 25gram lighter one.

(The front needed 90 grams)

Those DID rims might look nice, but they were cast in Mordor by goblins.
__________________
FE450.
XT660R

Blakduk screwed with this post 01-31-2013 at 02:29 PM
Blakduk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:16 PM   #3383
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: SJ,CA
Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakduk View Post
Just for fun I decided to have the rear wheel (on FE450, 2012) balanced when I got a new knobby put on.

130 grams later.........

and that is AFTER replacing the standard rim lock with a 25gram lighter one.

(The front needed 90 grams)

Those DID rims might look nice, but they were cast in Moria by goblins.
That's a lot of weight. Did the installer try rotating the tire 180 and seeing if that changed anything?
rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:22 PM   #3384
Lost Rider
Unsubscribed.
 
Lost Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Ventura County, California Republic
Oddometer: 3,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerT View Post
Any reason why he is not making these anymore and what is the possibility of someone else producing these?


How about him just selling the CAD CNC file so we can get them made here if he doesn't want to make them?....

I have a great machinist and with that file could get a quote for a group buy...
__________________
Photography for me is not about recreating what I saw through
the viewfinder but to show people the way I want to see the world.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:31 PM   #3385
Blakduk
Just trying to get by.
 
Blakduk's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Cooroy
Oddometer: 1,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by rensho View Post
That's a lot of weight. Did the installer try rotating the tire 180 and seeing if that changed anything?
He spent a lot of time on it, moved the tyre etc. Even considered drilling and mounting the rimlock on the opposite side to the valve stem. The weight wasn't with the rubber, it was the rim. Same as the front.
__________________
FE450.
XT660R
Blakduk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:48 PM   #3386
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam
 
cyborg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Pacific NorthWet
Oddometer: 5,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Much easier......just disconnect the electrical connector to the fuel pump! It's right under front of seat at bottom of air filter. No tools required. Slip off, snap back on. When the Tender is turned on, I get one click and flash of lights then nothing else. The fuel pump cannot run or hum this way. Piece of cake.....works great.
HF
Interesting. Since I've never had my 390 on a battery tender, even at 20F, I've never experienced the fuel pump running on tender issue. The Shorai I have in the 390 holds it's charge even many weeks or months later. Starts right up. That's the nice thing about Lithium batts, they hold their charge for a year easily, with no trickle charger needed.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:39 PM   #3387
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer
 
Shawnee Bill's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Oddometer: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Much easier......just disconnect the electrical connector to the fuel pump! It's right under front of seat at bottom of air filter. No tools required. Slip off, snap back on. When the Tender is turned on, I get one click and flash of lights then nothing else. The fuel pump cannot run or hum this way. Piece of cake.....works great.

HF
This is the winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Interesting. Since I've never had my 390 on a battery tender, even at 20F, I've never experienced the fuel pump running on tender issue. The Shorai I have in the 390 holds it's charge even many weeks or months later. Starts right up. That's the nice thing about Lithium batts, they hold their charge for a year easily, with no trickle charger needed.
I don't have a battery problem, it's just that I always seemed to have batteries last much longer if put on a battery tender regularly. Although with the 'berg I'm tempted to go to a Shorai just because the space under the seat is so cramped, just a silly mm there would be nice to have.


.
__________________
1200 GSAW
FE 390
KLR 650 (not new)
GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:50 PM   #3388
SmileyRider
With lots of Teeth
 
SmileyRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Canada
Oddometer: 37
Tapping the stock subframe

I have found a guy locally selling one of the old model subframe tanks and I am going to buy it.

My question is, why haven't more people tried to convert there stock subframes into tanks?
The only thing I can think of is the 70 degree racing tanks might be sturdier

I've searched many forums and have not actually found any people who have done it. I've read some people say they have heard that it causes swelling or leaks, but none of these people tried it themselves.
That guy on the expedition portal with his 570 did it successfully.

Seems all you need to do is put a tap in the bottom of the subframe and a vent in the top?
SmileyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:50 PM   #3389
Blakduk
Just trying to get by.
 
Blakduk's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Cooroy
Oddometer: 1,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyRider View Post
I have found a guy locally selling one of the old model subframe tanks and I am going to buy it.

My question is, why haven't more people tried to convert there stock subframes into tanks?
The only thing I can think of is the 70 degree racing tanks might be sturdier

I've searched many forums and have not actually found any people who have done it. I've read some people say they have heard that it causes swelling or leaks, but none of these people tried it themselves.
That guy on the expedition portal with his 570 did it successfully.

Seems all you need to do is put a tap in the bottom of the subframe and a vent in the top?
Great idea, I wouldn't have to lose the lovely black subframe the 2012's have.
__________________
FE450.
XT660R
Blakduk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:30 PM   #3390
Åmme
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyRider View Post
I have found a guy locally selling one of the old model subframe tanks and I am going to buy it.

My question is, why haven't more people tried to convert there stock subframes into tanks?
The only thing I can think of is the 70 degree racing tanks might be sturdier

I've searched many forums and have not actually found any people who have done it. I've read some people say they have heard that it causes swelling or leaks, but none of these people tried it themselves.
That guy on the expedition portal with his 570 did it successfully.

Seems all you need to do is put a tap in the bottom of the subframe and a vent in the top?
Done it on both my bikes 2009 & 2012 and it's easy, the gray subfram will swell a bit if you leave fuel in it otherwise a quick and cheap solution.
Åmme is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015