Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #3571
frostyuk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knobbiethrower View Post
Same as a "uncorked" stock muffler with the USFS spark arrestor insert. Slightly throatier with insert removed. (not loud by any means)
is that with or without the db killers ?

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take
away"
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900-1944)
frostyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #3572
getset
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Hello,

I had the chance to ride a 570 a few times last fall, and have been trying to get one ever since. There is unfortunately very few in MT. I have however found an FS570 for a good price, and I have access to a set of 19/21 wheels off of an 11 FE.

My plan is to purchase it, and either fit a different caliper (if possible) or an entire different front end set up with the correct caliper for the FE. It would be nice to have a set up ready allowing me to change the bike from sm to enduro relatively easy.

I am currently thinking of getting a used set of 48mm wp forks with the caliper and brake lever/resv. to swap out. Another oprtion is to purchase the lower fork legs and swap them into the uppers providing me with the correct fork ends for the FE caliper option. The FS forks are about 3/4" shorter than the FE and the rear is roughly the same.

Ideally I would buy an FE as most of my use will be dirt riding, but they are few and far between and the FS is new and priced well. Good enough that if I rework all the suspension and brakes I will still be below the cost than a new ktm 500.

Curious of what some thoughts are on this idea.

thanks in advance
getset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #3573
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by APBlack View Post
Who did you get these from??
Myler's Radiators - West Jordan, Utah

http://www.motorcycleradiators.com/
"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #3574
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticGS View Post

I'll give them a big "two thumbs up" from me - had then do my rads after a tumble into some rocks left my right rad looking more like a pretzel (although it was pretty amazing it didn't leak and leave me stranded). Turn around was within a week and cost for upgrading/strengthening both rads was less than the cost of a single replacement.

This is why I now have a nice set of BPD rad guards (in blue no less).
Old 03-03-2013, 06:00 PM   #3575
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticGS View Post

Those are nice rads. I haven't come close to overheating on my FE390 standard rads w/fan, but if I ever ruin one of the OEM's I'll likely go to the Mylers units. I have the blue BRP rad guards right now and they are great.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #3576
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by getset View Post
Hello,

I had the chance to ride a 570 a few times last fall, and have been trying to get one ever since. There is unfortunately very few in MT. I have however found an FS570 for a good price, and I have access to a set of 19/21 wheels off of an 11 FE.

My plan is to purchase it, and either fit a different caliper (if possible) or an entire different front end set up with the correct caliper for the FE. It would be nice to have a set up ready allowing me to change the bike from sm to enduro relatively easy.

I am currently thinking of getting a used set of 48mm wp forks with the caliper and brake lever/resv. to swap out. Another oprtion is to purchase the lower fork legs and swap them into the uppers providing me with the correct fork ends for the FE caliper option. The FS forks are about 3/4" shorter than the FE and the rear is roughly the same.

Ideally I would buy an FE as most of my use will be dirt riding, but they are few and far between and the FS is new and priced well. Good enough that if I rework all the suspension and brakes I will still be below the cost than a new ktm 500.

thanks in advance

Sounds like a good plan!
FYI Simi Valley Harley/husaberg in Cali has a brand new 2011 fe570s still for $7900, could ship it up there for under $500 I bet using uship.com
Malcolm Smith motorsports had Malcoms personal low hour fe570 for $5900 last time I was in there.

Either way good luck, it's a great bike and worth the effort.

Cheers

This was a Mobile posting using Tapatalk App

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #3577
Chilipepper
Baja wannabe

Oddometer: 819
Getting a rekluse z-start? Can the hydraulic clutch lever be left on and used? It's going on a 10 570

Edit- found the answer on the rekluse site. Looks like I can keep and use the lever. Does anyone have any input on how well the lever works afterwards?

Chilipepper screwed with this post 03-03-2013 at 10:39 PM
Chilipepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:56 PM   #3578
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilipepper View Post
Getting a rekluse z-start? Can the hydraulic clutch lever be left on and used? It's going on a 10 570

Edit- found the answer on the rekluse site. Looks like I can keep and use the lever. Does anyone have any input on how well the lever works afterwards?
I can vouch for it - I have an '11 FE570, with a Rekluse CoreEXP (and their own adjustable clutch slave cylinder - which makes adjusting the Rekluse a trailside task). I kept the stock clutch in place.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:57 AM   #3579
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilipepper View Post

I have a Z-Start pro for my 2011 FE570.. yes you can keep the standard clutch lever,, but it doesnt do much once you install the Rekluse. I could never get the Rekluse set so it didnt drag constantly .. the bike always wanted to creep forward a bit.. even with the clutch in. It is a common problem with Rekluse and Husaberg,, and KTM from what my dealer told me. I took the Rekluse out, but have been toying with putting it back in to try a different engagement setting. IMHO it is worth the money to get the Core EXP to retain your original clutch feel ... or just get the EXP .. no reason to spend the extra money for a Z-start.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:24 AM   #3580
getset
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Sounds like a good plan!
FYI Simi Valley Harley/husaberg in Cali has a brand new 2011 fe570s still for $7900, could ship it up there for under $500 I bet using uship.com
Malcolm Smith motorsports had Malcoms personal low hour fe570 for $5900 last time I was in there.

Either way good luck, it's a great bike and worth the effort.

Cheers

This was a Mobile posting using Tapatalk App
Thansk Lost
Checked both shops, and the were both gone. I would gladly take a used bike if I could find one priced well, otherwise I may own a 570 by the weeks end. Which would be nice since it is going to be a balmy 45 deg. in MT.
getset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:58 AM   #3581
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by getset View Post
Hello,

thanks in advance
How much below? While I personally love my 570, if I were to do it all again I would by a new KTM 500. The amount of support for the bike, the fact that it is a new model that will have several years of production in the future, the fact that the 70 degree is now dead, the lack of reasonably cost extra fuel capacity, the small Husa dealer network. You live in MT.. I have spent a lot of time in MT fishing,,never riding, but I have to assume the opportunity to ride long distance is there?? A 4 gallon Safari tank for a KTM 500 is $300 cheaper than one for a 570, plus it is all one unit,,no piggie back. You will see big name companies like Wolfman and Kriega design gear specifically for the 500 because there will be 10x the ammount of them on the road than the 570. Listen I love my FE570, totally cool bike, but give me a chance to do it all over again.. I would buy a KTM 500 in a heartbeat. Flame away

edit: I guess if you can still use the SM setup then maybe I would go with the 570.. Bipolar checking out
Old 03-04-2013, 08:30 AM   #3582
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
How much below? While I personally love my 570, if I were to do it all again I would by a new KTM 500. The amount of support for the bike, the fact that it is a new model that will have several years of production in the future, the fact that the 70 degree is now dead, the lack of reasonably cost extra fuel capacity, the small Husa dealer network. You live in MT.. I have spent a lot of time in MT fishing,,never riding, but I have to assume the opportunity to ride long distance is there?? A 4 gallon Safari tank for a KTM 500 is $300 cheaper than one for a 570, plus it is all one unit,,no piggie back. You will see big name companies like Wolfman and Kriega design gear specifically for the 500 because there will be 10x the ammount of them on the road than the 570. Listen I love my FE570, totally cool bike, but give me a chance to do it all over again.. I would buy a KTM 500 in a heartbeat. Flame away

edit: I guess if you can still use the SM setup then maybe I would go with the 570.. Bipolar checking out
Totally agree with you! Especially seeing what the 500's are selling or now.
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #3583
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,964
Quote:

Have you ridden a new KTM EXC500? I have, and while it is lighter, smaller and nimbler, it also vibrates far worse than the smooth FE570 and the very smooth FE390 at dual-sport freeway speeds. The KTM Corporate guys admitted as much at last years KTM Rally I attended. For me reduced vibes is more important for true dual-sporting than easily finding a larger fuel tank. YMMV. I know 70degree FE's are "gone" but still out there to be found. EXC500 reliability is still an open question too.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:04 AM   #3584
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,123
Quote:

Fair enough, if you don't need a smooth bike for long DS rides like cyborg said it would be another option, for me the biggest problem with buying a 500 is it's Orange!

There's no issues with parts support for the FE's that I have found. To have a nice used FE570 and an FS 570 for then same price as an unproven (for the long haul) 500 is a no brainer to me…

Once someone puts 13,000+ relatively trouble free miles, or goes 2500 miles between oil changes without damaging the motor, then I'll consider the 500 as a viable option as a lightweight ADV bike, until then I have mine.

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 03-04-2013 at 10:10 AM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:11 AM   #3585
jrozar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 611
GalacticGS Mexican 1000 Rally Bike Build!

Two sets of spare tires arrived today....

Pirelli Rally Scorpions

http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/mo...ion_rally.html

jrozar is offline   Reply With Quote