Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 03:16 AM   #3676
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,784
Try different types of pads, less grabby ones.

xronly
Cruz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:11 AM   #3677
bikerbilly
throwing a leg over

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Try different types of pads, less grabby ones.
yeah thought about that, may have to try...

2012 Husaberg FE 570................2004 KTM Adventure 950
bikerbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:19 AM   #3678
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,637
Pull the pads off and rub them smooth with sand paper. That should work for a bit.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:41 AM   #3679
ebrew
Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer: 1,261
????

Could you convert the super Moto to the dirt model with out much headache? I get the wheels are different but so is the front caliper. Would the caliper clear the spokes on the 21" set up? Are there any other differences between the two bikes? Suspension travel etc...

Thanx
ebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:46 AM   #3680
GratefulKicks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
I'm in the market for a new bike and there's a BRAND NEW 2011 FE390 in my neck of the woods for sale. It's obviously being sold for way less than MSRP. I've never ridden a 'Berg but it seems like they're awesome bikes with a loyal rider fan base.

I think the 390 would be a terrific bike for my style of riding and terrain... really nimble bike with low end and high rev power to suit situations ranging from super tight single track to wide open 60+ mph asphalt connecting trails.

My major concerns are:
1- The faulty fuel pump issue. Is there way a way to determine if the bike has this or not prior to buying? Only reason I ask is that the dealership is 3 hours from me and not sure I feel like trekking down there to pick up the bike and then trekking back there when the fuel pump fails after just 2 hours of riding. Any advice?

2- The overheating/"boiling" fuel issue. These run hot and because of the exhaust pipe's routing, it heats up the fuel tank. I wonder if this is more of an issue for the 390 because it may spend more of it's time in the high rev range than the 450 and 570 models? Are people making more of this issue than is necessary? Seems like a heat shield and/or pipe wrap might temper the issue but not completely fix it. I'd also add a radiator fan and run Engine Ice coolant.

Other than those two major issues, riders seem to rave about the bike (even though the lack of a kick start concerns me...but surprisingly I haven't heard that this has proved to be a common problem)

Anything else I should be wary of?

FYI...the other two bikes I'm considering are:

2012 KTM 450 XC-W

2013 KTM 350 XCF-W

I can get each of those bikes considerably under retail as well, but the 'Berg is really a bargain...but maybe there's a reason no one has bought it yet...

Thanks in advance
GratefulKicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:47 AM   #3681
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 7,007
I have an 2011. The pump was replaced before I bought it by the dealer. I've never had an overheating problem, and I don't have the fancy tank liners or pipe wrap.

Buy it.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:01 AM   #3682
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by GratefulKicks View Post

My major concerns are:
1- The faulty fuel pump issue. Is there way a way to determine if the bike has this or not prior to buying? Only reason I ask is that the dealership is 3 hours from me and not sure I feel like trekking down there to pick up the bike and then trekking back there when the fuel pump fails after just 2 hours of riding. Any advice?

There is no way to test whether the pump is faulty other than that the bike doesn't run. I wouldn't worry about the pump right now. ride the bike and if the pump starts to have issues replace it. The CA Cycleworks pump is a good alternative and the newer ktm/berg pumps work fine.

2- The overheating/"boiling" fuel issue. These run hot and because of the exhaust pipe's routing, it heats up the fuel tank. I wonder if this is more of an issue for the 390 because it may spend more of it's time in the high rev range than the 450 and 570 models? Are people making more of this issue than is necessary? Seems like a heat shield and/or pipe wrap might temper the issue but not completely fix it. I'd also add a radiator fan and run Engine Ice coolant.

I have never had any fuel boiling issues. My coolant will overheat if I am riding very slow technical terrain and I stop and let the bike idle. This is easily fixed with a fan kit. The 390 has plenty of power and everyone I know who has one has loved it and didn't have to ride it any differently than a 450 or 570.

Other than those two major issues, riders seem to rave about the bike (even though the lack of a kick start concerns me...but surprisingly I haven't heard that this has proved to be a common problem)

2012 KTM 450 XC-W

2013 KTM 350 XCF-W

I can get each of those bikes considerably under retail as well, but the 'Berg is really a bargain...but maybe there's a reason no one has bought it yet...

Thanks in advance

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:03 AM   #3683
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by GratefulKicks View Post
I'm in the market for a new bike and there's a BRAND NEW 2011 FE390 in my neck of the woods for sale. It's obviously being sold for way less than MSRP. I've never ridden a 'Berg but it seems like they're awesome bikes with a loyal rider fan base.

I think the 390 would be a terrific bike for my style of riding and terrain... really nimble bike with low end and high rev power to suit situations ranging from super tight single track to wide open 60+ mph asphalt connecting trails.

My major concerns are:

2012 KTM 450 XC-W

2013 KTM 350 XCF-W

Thanks in advance
I would have the dealer pull the pump out and ensure it is the new pump.. new fuel pump has two colors.. brown and black.. old pump was all black. I would insist they actually pull the pump to check..my left over 2011 570 was "guaranteed" to have the new pump... but 20 minutes into my first ride that was proven incorrect. The dealer pulled the pumps from the other two pumps from the bikes they still had in stock as a result.

Overheating the fuel can be cured by employing one of the many options available. I simply dont think that you need to do more.. I chose the under tank heat blanket, and I have never had any boiling issues.. and I ride SLOW

I am surprised there are still 390's available. IMHO the only drawback to the Husaberg 70 degree bikes is the extra fuel capacity options...not an issue for a back east woods bike.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:25 AM   #3684
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrew View Post
Could you convert the super Moto to the dirt model with out much headache? I get the wheels are different but so is the front caliper. Would the caliper clear the spokes on the 21" set up? Are there any other differences between the two bikes? Suspension travel etc...

Thanx
The FS is 20mm shorter in travel. It has slightly stiffer springs f/r, not sure if they touched the valving.
The front brake should clear a 21" wheel. I don't know anyone that's tried this exact combo, but my past wr250x with the 320mm oem brake setup cleared my aftermarket 21" wheels with a 320mm rotor just fine.
The triple clamps are an adjustable 18-20mm offset. The FE has a 22. mtbjeff has one, and runs the stock triples just fine with his 21"+dirt fork setup. He mentioned you may need to run a dirt front fender just in case the tire wants to hit the SM fender.
rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:47 AM   #3685
Sproat Sport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
I would buy it. But do ask about the fuel pump thing first. And also ask if they have properly rinsed out the tank...as per the normal procedure. They are supposed to do that to get residual plastic molding crud out of the tank...otherwise you'll very soon get clogged fuel filters. I had to take mine back to the original dealer to have them rinse out the tank properly, etc.....under warranty, but still was a pain. Proper dealers will have that done already, so may not be an issue...but worth checking.

In short...buy it.
Sproat Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:50 AM   #3686
Sproat Sport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
I bought a 2011 FE390 over a year ago...and it is quite the machine. Very pleased with it and intend to keep for a while. Fit and finish are superb, and I just can't enough of the awesome motor.
Sproat Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:15 AM   #3687
FamilyRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
aftermarket kickstand

Has anyone tried to mount a Pro Moto Billet PMB-01-3005 kickstand on the 2009-2012 FE's?

The Berg manual says the side stand is part # 78003023044, which is the same number listed for the KTM 450's. And PMB lists the 01-3005 as fitting the KTM bikes. So, it seems that it ought to work.

Has anyone tried one? Did it fit? Is it worth 2x the price of the weak stock kickstand?
Old 04-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #3688
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyRider View Post
Has anyone tried to mount a Pro Moto Billet PMB-01-3005 kickstand on the 2009-2012 FE's?

The Berg manual says the side stand is part # 78003023044, which is the same number listed for the KTM 450's. And PMB lists the 01-3005 as fitting the KTM bikes. So, it seems that it ought to work.

Has anyone tried one? Did it fit? Is it worth 2x the price of the weak stock kickstand?
Just returned one to Probillet today because it doesn't work. It requires a second mount point, they use the subframe bolt on the KTMs, the berg doesn't have one. It sure is a nice pice of work though.

I called before I ordered, they assured me it would work, when I called them after I received it they were puzzled, asked for a picture. When they got that it was like they had never seen a berg but were quick to sent me a prepaid UPS return voucher.

GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #3689
FamilyRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee Bill View Post
Just returned one to Probillet today because it doesn't work. It requires a second mount point, they use the subframe bolt on the KTMs, the berg doesn't have one. It sure is a nice pice of work though.

I called before I ordered, they assured me it would work, when I called them after I received it they were puzzled, asked for a picture. When they got that it was like they had never seen a berg but were quick to sent me a prepaid UPS return voucher.

Thanks. That is good to know. But I sure wish there were a stronger kickstand option out there somewhere.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #3690
getset
----GO----

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrew View Post

Thanx
I was looking into this rather seriously for a bit. You can put on a 21 " wheel, but you have to space it off center about 5mm, and the disk to match. The rear is essentially the same but about 3/4" shorter. The front shocks are also shorter. It is the lower section of the forks. One option may to swap out the lowers, but a whole new front end would be ideal.leave it all bolted ub slip out the forks with sm setup, and install the dirt set up and swap the rear wheel. I was headed in that direction, but the bike sold before I could pull the trigger.
getset is offline   Reply With Quote